Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 37
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @trycatchthis said:

@wuck said:
    So you can create 4 ARM VM which will combine a maximum of 4OCPU and 24GB thats it?

Number of Compute Instances Available to Your Account

Depending on the size of the boot volume and the number of OCPUs that you allocate to each Ampere A1 Compute instance, you can create up to four compute instances. The minimum boot volume size for each instance is 47 GB, regardless of shape. Your account comes with 200 GB of Always Free block volume storage which you use to create the boot volumes for your compute instances.

For example, using the default boot volume size of 47 GB, you could provision two > instances using the VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro shape, and two Ampere A1 Compute instances that each have 2 OCPUs. Or, you could provision four Ampere A1 Compute instances with 1 OCPU each, and zero instances using the VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro shape. Many combinations are possible, depending on how you allocate your block storage and Ampere A1 Compute OCPUs. See Details of the Always Free compute instances for more information on allocating OCPU and memory resources when creating Ampere A1 Compute instances.

I think its 4 instances 2 arm and 2 x86 or some other combination that utilizes 4 ocpus.

Up to 4 ARM which cannot exceed 4OCPU/24GB total if you combine their resources.
    Up to 2 x86.

But theres only 200GB storage free and each instance has minimum of 47GB so because of that you can get 4 instances maximum.
    It can be 4x arm, 3x arm + 1x x86 or whatever other config you want.

Thanked by 2raynor mrTom
  • @wuck said:

@trycatchthis said:

You're right. Up to 6 Public IPv4 and many combinations of instances for example 2 x86 and 4 arm instances.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years they begin to limit the free tier in some way. My guess would be to grandfather in the old free tier users and severely limit the new free tier to a year like all the other providers.

So you can create 4 ARM VM which will combine a maximum of 4OCPU and 24GB thats it?

Exactly. If you want 4x ARM you need to set them to 1OCPU & 6GB ram.

And please, just read official docs. Everything is written there. I already answered that kind of questions so many times and because of that its difficult to find useful tips (like turning on UHP, checking transfer usage etc) in this thread.

Feel free to ask things that arent clearly written in docs.

• @AXYZE said:

Read 36 pages?

• @trycatchthis said:

@AXYZE said:

Read 36 pages?

IN DOCS.
    Documentation.
    Official page.

But no, lets make this thread even bigger and then complain that it has so many pages lol

Thanked by 2TimboJones Ouji
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The sign up has been rejected even after the CREDIT card data has been checked and the transaction succeeded.
    I could use bogus data to force the issue as I am usually doing when this happens, but I need it in my name because I intend to be long term and possibly paying customer. Anyone has some idea why this can fail (apart from the fact that I am from Romania)?

• @Maounique said:
    The sign up has been rejected even after the CREDIT card data has been checked and the transaction succeeded.

What do you mean by checked? Card is charged? or you send them pictures of your card & identification?

That can also happen to GCP, AWS, Azure, even DO/Linode/Vultr. Eventhough your card can be charged, usually debit cards are flagged for additional verification. They will usually ask for card pictures and identification number..

It is not debit. Yes, they have charged. What do you mean by identification number?

• @Maounique said:
    It is not debit. Yes, they have charged. What do you mean by identification number?

Nah mate, is either your card type or your card issuer, nothing to do with you being from Romania or stuff like that, know a lot of people from Romania that were successful in getting their account approved, also know some that were not(for example, same household, different banks, one got it, the other didn't).

• snzsnz Member

The free tier includes 6x IPv4 right? So when I buy 100gigs for ~2€/month I'll have 6 VMs with one IPv4 each? Thats a pretty good deal :)

• lol just got banned. I wanted to see if I could slip under the radar and mine XMR on 2 ARM cores. It worked most of the day and then I noticed it was gone. I tried to login but it's refusing to let me in, and rightly so. :D This is why you can't have nice things lmao.

I feel bad for those that are trying to get in and Oracle won't approve them, meanwhile I got in super easy.... and then got kicked out lol!

• deltatuxdeltatux Member
    edited January 2022

@trycatchthis said:

@cadddr said:
    I run vault(with oci storage) + keycloak(with 389ds) on their arm server, works solid for auth/secret store server for other services.

Shape: VM.Standard.A1.Flex
    OCPU count: 4
    Network bandwidth (Gbps): 4
    Memory (GB): 24
    Public IPv4: 1

You're telling me this is free for life?

I mean they call it "Always Free" but they could always pull a Google and decide to stop offering that and start charging for it.

• fanfan Veteran

@deltatux said: pull a Google

:D

• @snz said:
    The free tier includes 6x IPv4 right? So when I buy 100gigs for ~2€/month I'll have 6 VMs with one IPv4 each? Thats a pretty good deal :)

No. This makes no sense. Fucking read this thread.

• @TimboJones said:

@snz said:

I think that they are talking about 100GB extra storage which would make it possible to have 6VMs with 50GB/VM.

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/storage/pricing/

Thanked by 2snz TimboJones
    edited January 2022

@xaoc said: Nah mate, is either your card type or your card issuer, nothing to do with you being from Romania or stuff like that, know a lot of people from Romania that were successful in getting their account approved, also know some that were not(for example, same household, different banks, one got it, the other didn't).

I have a Romanian MC CREDIT card, issued by a romanian bank, regular one, plastic, with my name on it which I am using every day including with paypal for 12 years (of course, re-issued each time it expired). While the bank gave me a very low limit, this suits me because i dont have much of an exposure so I use it online. It is not the maestro type or electronic one, it is regular, embossed (although only used one time to pay that way when a big brand shop run out of power many years ago and I didn't have that much cash at the time).

They also charged it BEFORE printing an error that my application has been denied and they dont accept PREPAID cards which I suppose are the ones we call debit here and which mine wasnt.
    I dont have problems with my card being denied anywhere in the world, my personal data creates issues, though, when I sign up for something, even when not free, of course.
    This is why I have started to use bogus data as well as to not be exposed in breaches and stuff.
    Even paypal suspended my account when I have received 500 Eur in the past (which I have already withdrawn by that time) and asked all kinds of scans and shit which I did not provide, perfectly happy with using someone else's account linked to MY card, though.
    They have unblocked it automatically after a couple of years, so I have 2 accounts available atm.
    I have contacted them and asked for all my data to be removed but have not received an answer even as they say they will reply within 24 hours.

• snzsnz Member

@xaoc said:

I think that they are talking about 100GB extra storage which would make it possible to have 6VMs with 50GB/VM.

That's what I want to know. Maybe sth. else is missing except storage (like IO Units or whatever they're called)

@TimboJones said:

@snz said:

Dude, recuce your caffeine intake. Take your time to think about what you've read.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Well, my check-in for the free tier. No issues, downtime, or otherwise hassle!

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • 10mbps jeez that would be so slow hahha

my usage is typically below 1 mbps, so wouldnt matter.
    Well, if I could have an account, that is :P

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@snz said: The free tier includes 6x IPv4 right? So when I buy 100gigs for ~2€/month I'll have 6 VMs with one IPv4 each? Thats a pretty good deal

Except there are only 4 ARM cores, and the performance of the 2 x86 vCores is terrible (each is only 1/8 of a real core), even a KS-1 Atom is faster. And the network on the x86 ones is limited to 45 Mbit. So you are paying for a slow CPU slow network VPS, or could just skip that and use only the 4 ARM.

Thanked by 1snz
  • @Maounique said: Well, if I could have an account, that is :P

Try again... I got rejected half a dozen times ( Tried different browsers) and finally firefox on Android mobile did it for me. Cant justify the logic but it is what worked out for me. (Same details, Same bank Account, Same residential connection, No VPN)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Besides the usual compute VMs, has anyone tried the AWS SES like

Oracle Email Delivery Service

I see It supports legacy SMTP as well as API ways of sending email. I could not find anything for the Email Marketing front end app like you have Sendy for AWS. Just stumbled upon this https://bronto.com but can't see further how / what it is... seems like Netsuite offering for Oracle Enterprise customers.

If anyone has experience... please recommend/educate me.
    Thx

• @rm_ said:

@snz said: The free tier includes 6x IPv4 right? So when I buy 100gigs for ~2€/month I'll have 6 VMs with one IPv4 each? Thats a pretty good deal

Except there are only 4 ARM cores, and the performance of the 2 x86 vCores is terrible (each is only 1/8 of a real core), even a KS-1 Atom is faster. And the network on the x86 ones is limited to 45 Mbit. So you are paying for a slow CPU slow network VPS, or could just skip that and use only the 4 ARM.

You get one physical core (1OCPU) that is throttled to 1/8 perf. No, not 1/8 per each like you wrote because that would imply that there's benefit from second logical core where there isnt any. GB5 Single Core = 300. GB5 Multi = 300.
    Network is 480Mbps private and 50Mbps public. If traffic goes to other server in same datacenter then its 480Mbps. And ARM have up to 4Gbps private. You underestimate how these servers can work together as cluster.

And he wants these x86 servers for IPv4 addresses anyway.

• Running the Free A1 since June 2021. No issues at all.

4 A1OCPU cores
    24GB RAM
    200GB block storage

According to free tier you have 10TB egress limit but I don't think they enforce that. I have moved around 13TB so far egress this month and my instance is still running fine.

Looking at the cost Analysis by usage they measure the traffic but don't deduct extra from the OCPU hours which is nice.

For something free like this it's amazing. They just opened JHB, South Africa region so just waiting for A1 to be available in my region but Amsterdam is working really well for me.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@AXYZE said: You get one physical core (1OCPU) that is throttled to 1/8 perf. No, not 1/8 per each like you wrote because that would imply that there's benefit from second logical core where there isnt any.

I forgot that there are 2 vCores per VM. But yea, that's "1 OCPU", they don't let you split that further.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Haha, our test of ARM processors end up the instance required to destroy due to issue attached storage issue.

• @snz said:

@xaoc said:

That's what I want to know. Maybe sth. else is missing except storage (like IO Units or whatever they're called)

@TimboJones said:

@snz said:

Dude, recuce your caffeine intake. Take your time to think about what you've read.

Yeah, my bad. That pricing page mentions block storage, not boot storage, which you'd need for creating two more VM's.

• My ARM instance outgoing bandwidths reduce to 50mbps..i guess they started ninja nerf.. Incoming still getting more than 200mbps..

• @forces said:
    My ARM instance outgoing bandwidths reduce to 50mbps..i guess they started ninja nerf.. Incoming still getting more than 200mbps..

What did you test with, where is yer VM located, maybe someone can confirm or deny this by testing in the same location.

Thanked by 2AXYZE Ouji
  • Is there any way to get free instances in Italy region? I see VM.Standard.E4.Flex and VM.Standard.E3.Flex on AMD, and nothing on Ampere.