Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• Can someone ELi5 (Explain like I am 5 year old) what is cPanel vs DirectAdmin? Thanks

• @ps20090 said:
    Can someone ELi5 (Explain like I am 5 year old) what is cPanel vs DirectAdmin? Thanks

DirectAdmin good, cPanel evil. Me Tarzan!

• xaocxaoc Member

@bikegremlin said:

@ps20090 said:
    Can someone ELi5 (Explain like I am 5 year old) what is cPanel vs DirectAdmin? Thanks

The russian male stripper Tarzan?

• I have been using DirectAdmin and a have a few request:

On "reseller" mode, "change passwords" instead of having to manually enter the username, a drop list with all users

On "file manager" there is not option to "cut" (just copy) and it's impossible to move multiple files to another directory.

• @ps20090 said:

Let's say DA is a nice hooker and CP is Premium Hooker that knows additional tricks. This Premium Hooker was addicting her clients with heroin (jetbackup and other plugins) and when they become addict to her, she raises her prices (because she knows they can't resign from her, and with this simple trick she can be even richer than before). Meanwhile, the nice hooker was doing nice hooker things (being nice to her clients) and she has stolen her client's hearts. Right know nice hooker want to become new Premium Hooker without all this drama with addicting clients and rising prices. She wants to be like Premium Hooker was back in old days, before she became evil and greedy. I hope this explains everything.

• donlidonli Member

@Ponury_Typ said:

@ps20090 said:

Let's say DA is a nice hooker and CP is Premium Hooker that knows additional tricks. This Premium Hooker was addicting her clients with heroin (jetbackup and other plugins) and when they become addict to her, she raises her prices (because she knows they can't resign from her, and with this simple trick she can be even richer than before). Meanwhile, the nice hooker was doing nice hooker things (being nice to her clients) and she has stolen her client's hearts. Right know nice hooker want to become new Premium Hooker without all this drama with addicting clients and rising prices. She wants to be like Premium Hooker was back in old days, before she became evil and greedy. I hope this explains everything.

Someone inform child services.

• xaocxaoc Member

@Ponury_Typ said:

@ps20090 said:

Why is it a she tho?

• @xaoc said:

@bikegremlin said:

@ps20090 said:

The russian male stripper Tarzan?

Mutated Chernobyl two "headed" one!
    With PHP 5.2 SELECTER OK!

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Ponury_Typ said: Let's say DA is a nice hooker and CP is Premium Hooker that knows additional tricks. This Premium Hooker was addicting her clients with heroin (jetbackup and other plugins) and when they become addict to her, she raises her prices (because she knows they can't resign from her, and with this simple trick she can be even richer than before). Meanwhile, the nice hooker was doing nice hooker things (being nice to her clients) and she has stolen her client's hearts. Right know nice hooker want to become new Premium Hooker without all this drama with addicting clients and rising prices. She wants to be like Premium Hooker was back in old days, before she became evil and greedy. I hope this explains everything.

Very nice explanation, but I am not sure whether this is suitable for a 5 year old. ;-)

Thanked by 1hardgamers
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

emgh said: Already tagged you once with no success. Give us Direct admin with the Cloud line and your company is basically heaven.

Our Cloud servers are unmanaged servers and we're not planning to change that. If you want to use DA on your Cloud, feel free to install it on your server yourself :smile:

Thanked by 2Lee iKeyZ
  • Ponury_TypPonury_Typ Member
    edited July 2019

@Amitz said:

Ponury_Typ said: Let's say DA is a nice hooker and CP is Premium Hooker that knows additional tricks. This Premium Hooker was addicting her clients with heroin (jetbackup and other plugins) and when they become addict to her, she raises her prices (because she knows they can't resign from her, and with this simple trick she can be even richer than before). Meanwhile, the nice hooker was doing nice hooker things (being nice to her clients) and she has stolen her client's hearts. Right know nice hooker want to become new Premium Hooker without all this drama with addicting clients and rising prices. She wants to be like Premium Hooker was back in old days, before she became evil and greedy. I hope this explains everything.

Very nice explanation, but I am not sure whether this is suitable for a 5 year old. ;-)

So, they can decide about their gender (5-year-old kids) but you can't talk to them about examples based on hookers that are perfect for explaining math, the meaning of life or just recent drama with cp?

BTW 5 years old are already running their web hosting business (look at alpharacks, or what left of them).

• @Hetzner_OL said:

emgh said: Already tagged you once with no success. Give us Direct admin with the Cloud line and your company is basically heaven.

Our Cloud servers are unmanaged servers and we're not planning to change that. If you want to use DA on your Cloud, feel free to install it on your server yourself :smile:

He means the license

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • I tried DirectAdmin and prefer centoswebpanel (pro-version) and found it faster to fix issues and less complicated GUI. Though i have not setup reselling hosting using cwp yet.

• LeeLee Veteran

websitehostingvps said: I tried DirectAdmin.

Did you really?

websitehostingvps said: less complicated GUI.

Clearly not.

• First time test DA apart from cyberpanel and aapanel. From hobby user point of view (less than 10 domains)

GUI looks pretty modernize and professional compare to both others. Very lovely login page that should be a standard.

Loading speed fast, good on 512MB slice. No fluff. No plesky experience. But menu structure / intuitiveness can improve. the switching between user/reseller/admin can be confusing when using side panel.

Make build with just panel, openlitespeed, lsphp, php7.3. no selektor, ftp etc. Out of the box quite easy to install.

But have problem, how to configure OLS? is there GUI? If not, then not so easy to manage

also same for php-redis extension. need ssh instead of one-click.

For OLS and php-redis, can custom build GUI do it?

• donlidonli Member

@robohost said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

He means the license

He means the license free with any cloud server.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Kris said:
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay on anything, just started taking my first vacation in 2 years.

Evolution theme is great, but with the newly released variant, I think I will start my work using Icon Grid and not re-invent the wheel. This isn't pure HTML rather a vue / JS programming language I'm very far away from understanding, just started tonight.

Learned PHP by troubleshooting apps at in my teens, so I've started to do the same with vue js and took the 'Icons Grid' layout that DA / Marytnas has created and customizing it further.

When I get back on the computer for more than a few hours per day I will join the DA forums, and get in touch with Martynas so I can do more than reverse engineer the compiled theme and hopefully get a source or help assist even with an official Icons Theme if they would like.

Things I've done / doing :

• Purchased a flat file icon set
    • Contacted icon set creator to curate and purchase custom icons for replacements of all icons within end-user panel for a unified look
    • Updating links and copy to closer match what people already know.
    • Clean up dictionary and improve or closer match what people already know

Only had a few hours, this is the first section you would see upon login as 'Client' :

Likely :

• Switch menu to left side
    • Include server stats and paths,
    • Inline Theme Options within stats area (group pull-down)
    • Including last logged in IP
    • Add side 'general information' to make things feel like home upon login.

Small tweaks, but unified icons with less colors @ 64px, wording that we all already are familiar with, as well as info we are used to seeing upon login is going to make this a very easy switchover.

I love it Kris, keep up with the nice work!!!

Thanked by 2Kris Ympker
  • @Ponury_Typ said:

@ps20090 said:

Might need to add this to our new knowledge-base. Thanks.

• @DA_Mark said:

@Ponury_Typ said:

@ps20090 said:

Might need to add this to our new knowledge-base. Thanks.

Is there any one click da to da server migration?

• @Kris said:
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay on anything, just started taking my first vacation in 2 years.

Evolution theme is great, but with the newly released variant, I think I will start my work using Icon Grid and not re-invent the wheel. This isn't pure HTML rather a vue / JS programming language I'm very far away from understanding, just started tonight.

Learned PHP by troubleshooting apps at in my teens, so I've started to do the same with vue js and took the 'Icons Grid' layout that DA / Marytnas has created and customizing it further.

When I get back on the computer for more than a few hours per day I will join the DA forums, and get in touch with Martynas so I can do more than reverse engineer the compiled theme and hopefully get a source or help assist even with an official Icons Theme if they would like.

Things I've done / doing :

• Purchased a flat file icon set
    • Contacted icon set creator to curate and purchase custom icons for replacements of all icons within end-user panel for a unified look
    • Updating links and copy to closer match what people already know.
    • Clean up dictionary and improve or closer match what people already know

Only had a few hours, this is the first section you would see upon login as 'Client' :

Likely :

• Switch menu to left side
    • Include server stats and paths,
    • Inline Theme Options within stats area (group pull-down)
    • Including last logged in IP
    • Add side 'general information' to make things feel like home upon login.

Small tweaks, but unified icons with less colors @ 64px, wording that we all already are familiar with, as well as info we are used to seeing upon login is going to make this a very easy switchover.

When are you going to release this

• level6level6 Member

@ps20090 said:

Here's a (very) high level assessment of the two. DirectAdmin has 1% market share (likely that will grow exponentially) and cPanel pretty much owns the rest. There are other commercial and open source offerings as well. It appears that the momentum is behind DA.

The Achilles' heel of DA for now is the installation. It's difficult for hosts to install compared to cPanel at the moment, but once implemented, for most users, either will be fine. Also, hosts know cPanel - the good and the bad, so for DA there's a learning curve, which is a significant investment. There are also security concerns since DA has a much smaller user base. 3rd party plugins have much better support for cPanel, and that will likely change.

I look forward to using DirectAdmin in the near future. I have zero brand loyalty for cPanel based on their egregious business practices.

• AmitzAmitz Member

When are you going to release this, PLEASE.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

Guys, we need to control the "how soon, when, what's the ETA" type stuff. This is a very talented guy who has already stated:

• He's doing this for free, out of his own pocket (e.g. paying for icon licensing)

• He's already short on personal time

• He's JUST getting started and learning an unfamiliar system

I know it's not anyone's intent, but collectively enough of these "how soon, how quick" comments will sound demanding, impatient and unappreciative.

I want this to happen. It's good for DA too. We need people doing skin designs so others can realize what is possible, and make their own. We'd rather work on development, not graphics.

It would be better to offer a lot of encouragement (and constructive criticism) and there's no harm in saying how eager you are to try his new skin.

But a thread full of "is it ready yet" is good way to scare off a good person. Especially when he plainly announced that he's just getting started.

• LeeLee Veteran

level6 said: The Achilles' heel of DA for now is the installation. It's difficult for hosts to install compared to cPanel at the moment

It's different, not difficult. If a host finds it difficult then they need to stay with cPanel.

level6 said: There are also security concerns since DA has a much smaller user base.

You make it sound like a tinderbox, also not the case. No panel is so secure that it will never be vulnerable, what is important that they respond to security threats and carry out audits, DA is doing that based on what I have seen.

• KrisKris Member

Thanks @DA_Mark

Doing my best, literally hacked apart app.js last night and started what you saw. Bought 30 flat style icons, and have already contacted the icon designer to pay for a new expanded icon set that's themed for the panel to keep icons unified looking.

Officially I'm AFK until July 12 as this is my first vacation since July 2017 but wanted to get something started.

I can not thank @matadorov enough, the creator of Evolution. Has been most helpful at helping me understand the theme, theme variants, etc. He is going to help me get in touch with Martynas so I can get the source code of the Vue Js files.

In time I hope to have this as a part of the Evolution Theme as an skin option (like Hybrid, Icons) - perhaps something like Pure.

I'll hack around until I'm familiar with building using the language and compiling it into a js and keep on pegging away at the source files until I have a good beta.

Definitely won't be this week or next week but I am already putting in a few hours per night to get us cPanel refugees somewhere familiar looking with unified names of features, etc.

Finally, due to time constraints I will be starting with the 'User' interface and skinning that.

I'll post more as I have time, but what you saw was me literally using inspect element on app.js within Chrome.

With the source that I've been sent I'll be able to whip up something a lot faster :wink:

Thank you @DA_Mark for the license and @matadorov for the sources and heads up so I can get familiar with the Vue js framework.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Thanks @Kris.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Kris
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Kris said: Doing my best, literally hacked apart app.js last night and started what you saw. Bought 30 flat style icons, and have already contacted the icon designer to pay for a new expanded icon set that's themed for the panel to keep icons unified looking.

Officially I'm AFK until July 12 as this is my first vacation since July 2017 but wanted to get something started.

I can not thank @matadorov enough, the creator of Evolution. Has been most helpful at helping me understand the theme, theme variants, etc. He is going to help me get in touch with Martynas so I can get the source code of the Vue Js files.

In time I hope to have this as a part of the Evolution Theme as an skin option (like Hybrid, Icons) - perhaps something like Pure.

I'll hack around until I'm familiar with building using the language and compiling it into a js and keep on pegging away at the source files until I have a good beta.

mad skills @Kris - every web host using DA and your resulting skin should add to a virtual tip jar ^_^

Thanked by 2Kris Sofia_K
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@eva2000 said:

Kris said: Doing my best, literally hacked apart app.js last night and started what you saw. Bought 30 flat style icons, and have already contacted the icon designer to pay for a new expanded icon set that's themed for the panel to keep icons unified looking.

mad skills @Kris - every web host using DA and your resulting skin should add to a virtual tip jar ^_^

Absolutely, get a patron or something.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Kris MichaelCee
  • LeeLee Veteran

@hostingdude_new2 said:
    If you want $1 cpanel hosting with free domain name then we at www.hostingdude.com can help you.

Dude, stay banned already.

• level6level6 Member

@Lee said:

level6 said: The Achilles' heel of DA for now is the installation. It's difficult for hosts to install compared to cPanel at the moment

It's different, not difficult. If a host finds it difficult then they need to stay with cPanel.

level6 said: There are also security concerns since DA has a much smaller user base.

You make it sound like a tinderbox, also not the case. No panel is so secure that it will never be vulnerable, what is important that they respond to security threats and carry out audits, DA is doing that based on what I have seen.

-The install and the documentation is being worked on and improved as I type this. It does need some work, and from this thread it's clear that it is actively being worked on.

-cPanel has a huge installed base. It would be disengenuous to say that security is not a concern for DA, until the security audit is done on next version in the near future.

I tried to be objective and am a proponent of DA. I've reached out to my hosts to let them know that I'd like to migrate to DA when it's ready.