Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

level6 said: I tried to be objective and am a proponent of DA. I've reached out to my hosts to let them know that I'd like to migrate to DA when it's ready.

Our clients have been really happy with DA, they've said something alike @Lee's clients in terms of the UI... They prefer DA. I couldn't be happier with our migration. Bye cPanel.

Thanked by 4Lee level6 Ympker lazyt
  • KrisKris Member
    edited July 2019

Francisco said: Thanks @Kris.

eva2000 said: every web host using DA and your resulting skin should add to a virtual tip jar ^_^

Francisco said: Absolutely, get a patron or something.

Appreciate it guys.

At the same time, pretty sure if I keep this in my mind from the perspective of a theme I'd like to use myself and ditching cPanel I'll get it done faster.

Icon Grid has given me a great jumping off point. DA, Mark and their current devs are willing to give me source, and like Mark mentioned - they have a lot more to focus on... like development of the product.

Hell, the installer is very easy. It's a few hours away from being a reason why I'm so sure newbies like cpanel..

root@brandnewvps [~] sh latest

The only part I had to do was copy out some yum depdencies off a page before the install script allowed me to continue.

For most OS's you could pair the installer script with a pre-install OS check + yum install, and there's your 'sh latest' that will help a good amount jump from cPanel.

I created a Visual basic program with a slick GUI while working at HostDime with 25 buttons that would copy SSH key commands to the clipboard for Manny. Knowing that, I have a feeling a lot of people would make the jump if there was a one line install script and a polished icon based theme.

I'm going out of pocket for icons and stupid polishing aspects of the theme as a middle finger to cPanel for pulling the biggest scumbag steve move.

14 accounts on my server, no resellers. For what would be a sub $5-10 VPS at any budget provider cPanel wants me to pay $30/month?

That anger is enough to fuel my passion for pegging away at this skin nightly until I have something I'd like to use.

Will continue development if things are well received and keep it updated. If that's the case perhaps will start a Patreon to recoup icon costs, beer money, etc... but not until I have something nearly finished.

Complete passion project right now as a FU to cPanel. I want to make it as easy for the masses to leave.

EDIT: English derp

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@Kris said:

The only part I had to do was copy out some yum depdencies off a page. For most OS's you could pair the installer script with a pre-install OS check + yum install, and there's your [~] sh latest that will help a good amount jump from cPanel.

This is an example of bad docs hiding good features. Our setup script will save you this step and take care of those pre-install dependencies.

It presents a simple (yes/no): would you like to install them before beginning the DA setup. No yum/apt needed, or looking to the install guide to figure out which list of dependencies you need for a particular OS.

@Kris's response totally backs up my comment about a good guy doing something beneficial. He's not denying there is time & expenses involved, but at the same time not relying on initial hype to start collecting donations. Classy move that shows plenty of integrity.

Thanked by 2Kris AlwaysSkint
  • @DA_Mark Great job on keeping everyone updated, thanks!

Do you guys plan on evolving your (currently very basic) API to bring it up to par with what cPanel currently offers? I think this is quite important for big hosts that need to automate everything etc.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I wish da had a dns only plan.... the 3rd party scripts are a pain...

Also editing the dns seems to take an age can’t it auto save as you edit?

• HOW SOON

Thanked by 2DA_Mark lazyt
  • @level6 said:

@ps20090 said:
    Can someone ELi5 (Explain like I am 5 year old) what is cPanel vs DirectAdmin? Thanks

Here's a (very) high level assessment of the two. DirectAdmin has 1% market share (likely that will grow exponentially) and cPanel pretty much owns the rest. There are other commercial and open source offerings as well. It appears that the momentum is behind DA.

The Achilles' heel of DA for now is the installation. It's difficult for hosts to install compared to cPanel at the moment, but once implemented, for most users, either will be fine. Also, hosts know cPanel - the good and the bad, so for DA there's a learning curve, which is a significant investment. There are also security concerns since DA has a much smaller user base. 3rd party plugins have much better support for cPanel, and that will likely change.

I look forward to using DirectAdmin in the near future. I have zero brand loyalty for cPanel based on their egregious business practices.

Actually it is not difficult ... Just diffrent than cPanel... where you run one line install and then tweak trough GUI ...

When you do DA install couple of times it will be mechanical... Also what I like is that can modify options.conf and have versions for several deployment scenarios and just push build :)

cPanel is GUI but some of the things in option conf require more time to be installed on cPanel (Comodo Mod Security OLS ) tweak of php versions etc...

Thanked by 1level6
  • @Kris said:
    Will continue development if things are well received and keep it updated. If that's the case perhaps will start a Patreon to recoup icon costs, beer money, etc... but not until I have something nearly finished.

I like the screenshot you posted and would be more than happy to make a donation to cover the beer costs once completed

Thanked by 3Francisco Kris marrco
  • DNS-only license, already in the works. Would love to be release it at the same time as the Lite license.

DA API: No reason we can't add more functionality it, but don't be afraid to contact us with specific suggestions or examples of what you need to do (again, just saves us some time)

As @coolice mentioned, that's one good thing about installations. You can tweak an existing system the way you like, then save the options.conf file and apply it to all your new installations. Struggle once, then smoother sailing.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

@DA_Mark Can you add a options importer/exporter for installation and also after?

I'm sure most host have their own ideal config they have set for all their hosting fleet.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2019

Kris said: 14 accounts on my server, no resellers. For what would be a sub $5-10 VPS at any budget provider cPanel wants me to pay $30/month?

Yeah that is basically my situation for my cPanel licenses mainly VPS ones. I'll be looking to migrate some to DirectAdmin and others to my own Centmin Mod LEMP stack (writing the importer as we speak ~29% faster than native cPanel pkgacct backup methods & 6-12% smaller compressed backup files) :)

OMG!!!! Settings export/import would rock!!! :smile:

You could tune one server and bam... every server can be the same....

@da_mark does the built in backup utility back this up? Or can it? Restores would be quick.

With regards to DNS only. I think I found a legitimate work around....

A host with low VPS and internal DA licenses... :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

experttechit said: A host with low VPS and internal DA licenses...

Hello there.

Francisco

@Francisco ...... yes...... waiting on order to be activated..... :) can’t believe I didn’t think of it before.....

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@experttechit Just to make this simple for my tired brain, you are not talking about importing/building a custom config just at install time.

You are saying, you may change your config at some point in time, and want the rest of your already live/active servers to take on that config. No, there isn't a tool for that (yet) but it doesn't sound difficult.

But.. you can already do this simply by bringing that options.conf to the existing machine and doing:

./build all d
    ./build rewrite_confs

Short answer: Yes, no problem taking an existing config and applying it to new installations AND existing machines.

Yes, @Francisco has been offering multi-server DNS DirectAdmin licenses for a while now. He's even throwing in a VPS to go with them. And, he unlocked the DA license so it has unlimited features too (not just DNS). :wink:

Point being, you have to pay for the VPS anyway, may as well get one from Fran that gives you a DA license that can be used for more than just DNS. Especially if you get a slab, you can also use it for backups or anything else really.

Thanked by 2eva2000 MikePT
  • By the way, icons grid with the "Hybrid" option is now available for download/testing (see link below). You have one "user" menu with icons, then switch over to a sidebar type interface for the reseller/admin stuff. It's NOT a final product but we wanted to get it out there.

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58075&page=4&p=297215#post297215

Thanked by 2Limpan eva2000
  • @DA_Mark said:
    By the way, icons grid with the "Hybrid" option is now available for download/testing (see link below). You have one "user" menu with icons, then switch over to a sidebar type interface for the reseller/admin stuff. It's NOT a final product but we wanted to get it out there.

Responsive forum for mobile when?

• FoulFoul Member

MikeAtBun said: By the way, icons grid with the "Hybrid" option is now available for download/testing (see link below). You have one "user" menu with icons, then switch over to a sidebar type interface for the reseller/admin stuff. It's NOT a final product but we wanted to get it out there.

Y'all should get XF, or IPB :) Vbulletin is gross.

Hit up @Francisco I'm sure he can throw some tips!

Or myself :)

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @Foul said:

MikeAtBun said: By the way, icons grid with the "Hybrid" option is now available for download/testing (see link below). You have one "user" menu with icons, then switch over to a sidebar type interface for the reseller/admin stuff. It's NOT a final product but we wanted to get it out there.

Y'all should get XF, or IPB :) Vbulletin is gross.

Hit up @Francisco I'm sure he can throw some tips!

Or myself :)

Whats better these days?

• FoulFoul Member

MikeAtBun said: Whats better these days?

Personally, for myself.

I really love IPB.

• @Lee said:
    Well, here is something surprising...

I have let some cPanel clients loose on a DA install and they actually like it. Some Feedback so far.

"Less of a minefield than cPanel which has too many options"
    "no issues I could work fine with it, will it be cheaper?"
    "Does all I need it to Lee, thanks for the update on the cPanel changes"
    "Cheers for the test Gordon, as long as my site works I would use it"

Last week they were totally against it until they got a try of it! Clients, so fickle.

Exactly why I chose them to begin with. Keeping things simple without crap ton of features that half the world don’t need nor use.

• The only reason I am following this thread is to know when DA Lite will be released, and the price, and the feature.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@DA_Mark said:
    By the way, icons grid with the "Hybrid" option is now available for download/testing (see link below). You have one "user" menu with icons, then switch over to a sidebar type interface for the reseller/admin stuff. It's NOT a final product but we wanted to get it out there.

Already live in our servers. Thanks, Mark, I like it more when it comes to the Admin interface.

• @DA_Mark said:
    DA API: No reason we can't add more functionality it, but don't be afraid to contact us with specific suggestions or examples of what you need to do (again, just saves us some time)

Gotcha, thanks for the answer! Essentially, API should be able to support all configuration options (not just very basic create/update/remove user etc.), and it would be awesome if we could create a single sign-on session to login from shell passwordless to the admin panel.

• Good work Kris. I'm lovin it. Really cool icons.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

robohost said: He means the license

Ah, I see. @emgh I can forward your wish for a DA license to our team but I'm afraid the demand for it is not big enough at the moment.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • LeeLee Veteran

Hetzner_OL said: Ah, I see. @emgh I can forward your wish for a DA license to our team but I'm afraid the demand for it is not big enough at the moment.

Worth a shot though :) Given some providers have it bundled for free I suspect it would still work if you made a reasonable charge for it to cover whatever the Partner pricing would be.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@Hetzner_OL said:

Ah, I see. @emgh I can forward your wish for a DA license to our team but I'm afraid the demand for it is not big enough at the moment.

Definitely worth a shot! Would be cool to see it bundled or charged reasonably. +1 @Lee

Thanked by 2emgh Lee
  • xaocxaoc Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

You can always start a LET poll to see what people think about it. I'm pretty sure everyone will vote yes. :D

Thanked by 1emgh
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Amitz said:

Ponury_Typ said: Let's say DA is a nice hooker and CP is Premium Hooker that knows additional tricks. This Premium Hooker was addicting her clients with heroin (jetbackup and other plugins) and when they become addict to her, she raises her prices (because she knows they can't resign from her, and with this simple trick she can be even richer than before). Meanwhile, the nice hooker was doing nice hooker things (being nice to her clients) and she has stolen her client's hearts. Right know nice hooker want to become new Premium Hooker without all this drama with addicting clients and rising prices. She wants to be like Premium Hooker was back in old days, before she became evil and greedy. I hope this explains everything.

Very nice explanation, but I am not sure whether this is suitable for a 5 year old. ;-)

Summer Hosting 101 - Catch 'em young!