Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:
    To everyone else, stop asking. We having the PHP SELEKTOR already.

You're THE man, tks.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @Lee said:
    Thanks @DA_Mark

Don't understand why people hate on the evolution theme, it's the best of them all in my view of course, but your views are irrelevant anyway :)

The icon theme is, well, trying to convince people they are using cPanel.

Thanks! That's the beauty of the sophistication behind the Evo theme, though. It's fine to not like it. Skin development used to be too technical & painful for most. Now, anyone with the most basic of website development skills can customize Evo to their liking. We hope this means lots of new cool themes being posted/shared.

@Mic-hael And more than 4 choices with CloudLinux including hardened older versions.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:
    To everyone else, stop asking. We having the PHP SELEKTOR already.

Debian (10) ?

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Guaranteed support for it, coming soon to a panel near you. When ordering you will see it in the OS selektor. Things like Debian/CentOS are a given but like Fran mentioned, FreeBSD is not really a go-to hosting OS these days so no promises about that in the future.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee ITLabs
  • LeeLee Veteran

Just had a look at that thread over at WHT, lol'd my way through the last 10 pages of it.

Hosts banding together to create a new panel

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2019

@Mic-hael said:

Kwoon said: What is the minimum amount of RAM suggested to run DA?
    From their demo I can see it uses about 200MB of ram (mysql not included, I don't know why)

From one of my 512 slices on a near fresh install with a couple accounts
    KiB Mem : 504196 total, 42084 free, 128828 used, 333284 buff/cache
    KiB Swap: 524284 total, 416020 free, 108264 used. 356476 avail Mem

BuyVM recommends 1GB, and I probably would too once you start adding plugins and hosting 10+ sites.

Back to this, if you want to compile multiple PHP versions, go 1GB+.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

For the lite version, I think that 2 users would be great one for the owner and one as you said for a marketing or helper.
    10-15 domains max should be perfect as well. This would allow those who run a few domains to be able to use the panel.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@Mic-hael said:
    Back to this, if you want to compile multiple PHP versions, go 1GB+.

Good general advice for all. DA is super lightweight, blazing fast on any setup. Things like compiling do need more memory than 512mb, so be generous with the vswap so it's there for the odd times you need it. And adjust swappiness too, if desired.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee eva2000
  • LeeLee Veteran

Well, here is something surprising...

I have let some cPanel clients loose on a DA install and they actually like it. Some Feedback so far.

"Less of a minefield than cPanel which has too many options"
    "no issues I could work fine with it, will it be cheaper?"
    "Does all I need it to Lee, thanks for the update on the cPanel changes"
    "Cheers for the test Gordon, as long as my site works I would use it"

Last week they were totally against it until they got a try of it! Clients, so fickle.

Thanked by 3MikePT poisson Sofia_K
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@Lee said:
    Well, here is something surprising...

I have let some cPanel clients loose on a DA install and they actually like it. Some Feedback so far.

"Less of a minefield than cPanel which has too many options"

This is why there's a modern trend of hiding bunches of options under an "Advanced" header somewhere.

"no issues I could work fine with it, will it be cheaper?"
    "Does all I need it to Lee, thanks for the update on the cPanel changes"
    "Cheers for the test Gordon, as long as my site works I would use it"

Last week they were totally against it until they got a try of it! Clients, so fickle.

No Coke! Pepsi!!

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

I mean it's not all perfect but I get where they are coming from. It took the clients talking about the difference for me to open DA as a user and cPanel side by side and see the difference.

cPanel for a non-technical end user does appear overwhelming in comparison to DA. Sure there are things like Mine types, cron Jobs, Apache handlers and the like that are still confusing to users but the basic things they want, domain management, file manager, email/webmail and the like are all easy to find and simple to operate.

As for the setup of the server, easy enough and straightforward but finding the right information is a bit of a shit show, too many years old dead forum threads that are still considered to be the go-to, I hate that, here this works "refers to a thread from 2009", the knowledge base is good but needs to be kept up to date and added to. If you get a spike in orders which I suspect you will, you will suffer on the support side because of this. Especially from the spanners on this site vying to be the next big host.

I am not a fan of installing for installing sake so for me, the basic server additions such as SpamA, Lets Encrypt, Softaculous, CSF and the like are all I run with until I have a solid reason that is not enough. I like that, don't want to be forced into whatever a provider insists which just adds weight for the sake of it.

Custom build is nice, but I notice it's a 3rd party script, not sure if they are connected to DA, things like that for me need to be owned and controlled by DA. Not actually looked into that so I am probably wrong somewhere.

I'm a slow mover, get things right, not going to rush out there with something I have only spent a couple of weeks working with, near 20 years providing cPanel makes me a difficult and grumpy person trying to understand how the install is all set up, where the key files are, how I am going to back up all the system files and so on.

but I am liking it more and more.

• MaherMaher Member

What a dick move it was by new cpanel thots wondering how it'll affect them in the long-term.

• Lee said:As for the setup of the server, easy enough and straightforward but finding the right information is a bit of a shit show, too many years old dead forum threads that are still considered to be the go-to, I hate that, here this works "refers to a thread from 2009", the knowledge base is good but needs to be kept up to date and added to. If you get a spike in orders which I suspect you will, you will suffer on the support side because of this. Especially from the spanners on this site vying to be the next big host.

I gotta somewhat agree with you about the threads from 2009, I'm sure a lot of them have updated versions, but these ones are coming up first when googling issues, and a lot of people do rely on google to get these links.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • As for the docs, yeah it's bad. As mentioned, we already have a new KB coming that will be end all misery. Trick will be making sure everyone knows it it. I just took at look at it myself and think it's pretty nice looking. Because it's one of those things in development before this cPanel fiasco, we will be releasing it sooner than later. Not a "we'll get to it" thing.

CustomBuild, that's 100% DA. CustomBuild GUI is a plugin from us, not a 3rd party. Like when Nintendo would include a Super Mario Bros game with the system.

Thanked by 2Lee bikegremlin
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

DA_Mark said: CustomBuild, that's 100% DA. CustomBuild GUI is a plugin from us, not a 3rd party. Like when Nintendo would include a Super Mario Bros game with the system.

Suspected as much, just saw a logo at the bottom of custom build and it wasn't DA.

Anyway, good job so far, don't let the positive feedback go to your head though, this is LET, this lot will light their torches and come looking for you the instant you do something to upset them :)

• LeeLee Veteran

Mic-hael said: I gotta somewhat agree with you about the threads from 2009, I'm sure a lot of them have updated versions, but these ones are coming up first when googling issues, and a lot of people do rely on google to get these links.

The issue I was getting was that the first few links were all about what was needed to 'install' a feature. Not that I would blindly copy and paste the code from any post just to try something, but I was finding that in fact, it was already part of the current build.

But the new KB will hopefully sort that.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

DA_Mark said: CustomBuild, that's 100% DA. CustomBuild GUI is a plugin from us, not a 3rd party. Like when Nintendo would include a Super Mario Bros game with the system.

Plans to merge it into the base install?

Francisco

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @Francisco said:

Plans to merge it into the base install?

None. It has a lot of benefits not obvious at first. It serves as an example of a fully-integrated Evolution plugin which developers can springboard from (it's a little more advanced than 'hello world').

More important, it allows us to update the software we build -- also UI issues or bugs, without a change to the DA code. The ability to release immediate updates/fixes/patches by updating the plugin instead of (more slowly) releasing a new DA version means much better security and just plain old convenience.

P.S. Hybrid looks great, should be released shortly. Not what I'm used to but it's actually pretty efficient. We also have another variant on icon grid coming that's not so white.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • I might of misunderstood Fran a bit. As for inserting it as part of the install process/script, sure. Just to save a step of installing it later.

But if you mean like, integrate it into the DA code instead of making it a plugin, then nope.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DA_Mark said:
    I might of misunderstood Fran a bit. As for inserting it as part of the install process/script, sure. Just to save a step of installing it later.

But if you mean like, integrate it into the DA code instead of making it a plugin, then nope.

I meant fully in there to compete with easyapache.

As a plugin is decent too :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @Francisco said:

@DA_Mark said:
    I might of misunderstood Fran a bit. As for inserting it as part of the install process/script, sure. Just to save a step of installing it later.

Francisco

I was right! But, no reason it can't be part of the setup process so it's an auto-installed plugin at least. At least it was an opportunity to share why it's a plugin, instead of it seeming like a partially developed feature.

Thanked by 117brownj
  • @DA_Mark said:

@Francisco said:

@DA_Mark said:

Francisco

I was right! But, no reason it can't be part of the setup process so it's an auto-installed plugin at least. At least it was an opportunity to share why it's a plugin, instead of it seeming like a partially developed feature.

So you are now bundling Super Mario with DA? Awesome!!!!

On a serious note I had tried DA before and did not mind it. It was different from CPanel and that is a good thing. People might be used to the way CPanel does things, but change is not always a bad thing.

Some people do, and will always continue to, resist change. What they forget is without it we would not have many of things we enjoy today. No GUI, No point and click, No high tech phones, No internet to speak of at all.

Do I like DA now yes, sure things can be improved, but is that not true for most things?

OK time for me to go back to my woods. Carry on DA and make CPanel wish they would have been conceived in some one's narcotic fueled dreams.

• I read what @Lee posted about customer response with interest, and I think there can be an icon based skin that just shows the functions required for basic server management of a static website + WordPress. Everything else can be hidden into an advanced tab or page. Power users can of course choose other skins. It is correct that cPanel is extremely intimidating with options for new/non-power users, so a well-designed simple skin for people who just have a couple of WordPress sites that hides away all the unnecessary functions would be a nice thing to have.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2019

Forgive me for any stupidity or ignorance; it's 4AM.

I've been looking at the backups (user, reseller, admin) and there's weird inconsistencies in the naming.
    Uer backups are named like backup.date.tar.gz
    Reseller backups are named username.tar.gz
    Admin backups are named user.reseller.tar.gz

Personally it would be beneficial to have a date included in all of the backup types. I don't know if this is an actual thing or I'm being picky.

Edit: On the positive side, with a slight learning curve to DA I'm thoroughly enjoying being able to exercise my brain again

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • The ability to upload DNS files might be nice.

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

Lee said: The icon theme is, well, trying to convince people they are using cPanel.

For last 10-15 years we've used to this icon feature, even on windows xp and previous versions.. and everyone is used to that. Even if I hop from host to host, I would not find anything difficult to manage my website because everyone was/is using cpanel standard theme/skin/template. So when I migrate to DA, I would love to have similar icons in similar places. That's just for ease-of-managing a site.

• Mic-hael said: Personally it would be beneficial to have a date included in all of the backup types

+1 for this feature. Dates are must in the file name to sort them out easily.

Thanked by 2vimalware MichaelCee
  • @Sofia_K said:

Mic-hael said: Personally it would be beneficial to have a date included in all of the backup types

+1 for this feature. Dates are must in the file name to sort them out easily.

or inside dated folder

Thanked by 2vimalware MichaelCee
  • KrisKris Member
    edited July 2019

Hey guys, sorry for the delay on anything, just started taking my first vacation in 2 years.

Evolution theme is great, but with the newly released variant, I think I will start my work using Icon Grid and not re-invent the wheel. This isn't pure HTML rather a vue / JS programming language I'm very far away from understanding, just started tonight.

Learned PHP by troubleshooting apps at in my teens, so I've started to do the same with vue js and took the 'Icons Grid' layout that DA / Marytnas has created and customizing it further.

When I get back on the computer for more than a few hours per day I will join the DA forums, and get in touch with Martynas so I can do more than reverse engineer the compiled theme and hopefully get a source or help assist even with an official Icons Theme if they would like.

Things I've done / doing :

• Purchased a flat file icon set
    • Contacted icon set creator to curate and purchase custom icons for replacements of all icons within end-user panel for a unified look
    • Updating links and copy to closer match what people already know.
    • Clean up dictionary and improve or closer match what people already know

Only had a few hours, this is the first section you would see upon login as 'Client' :

Likely :

• Switch menu to left side
    • Include server stats and paths,
    • Inline Theme Options within stats area (group pull-down)
    • Including last logged in IP
    • Add side 'general information' to make things feel like home upon login.

Small tweaks, but unified icons with less colors @ 64px, wording that we all already are familiar with, as well as info we are used to seeing upon login is going to make this a very easy switchover.

• FoulFoul Member

Kris said: Small tweaks, but unified icons with less colors @ 64px, wording that we all already are familiar with, as well as info we are used to seeing upon login is going to make this a very easy switchover.

Looking good Kris! Can't wait to see more!

Thanked by 1Kris