Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Lee said:
    Does anyone know of any reliable audits done on DA in recent years? That is:

Security audit on base install?

Any audit on the actual build, is it well designed or cobbled together? Conducive in the support of 3rd party developers like jetbackup and others who are starting to look at it in more detail and build apps, that kind of thing.

I believe @SecNinja was maybe gonna check them out soon ;)

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @DA_Mark said:

@Francisco said:
    If you're rewriting the installer, it'd be nice if you could try to generalize things so it'd be easier for us to build OS templates for it. Being able to roll out DA in a matter of a couple minutes would be sweet for us VPS nerds.

Francisco

Yeah it's been the same feedback from the big guys who deploy mass quantities,too painful and slow. Other suggestion was at least rpms/debs or something. Templates are always nice unless they are old. Suggestion noted.

what about incremental backup? saving alot of disk space, and alot of time creating backups

• @Lee said:
    Does anyone know of any reliable audits done on DA in recent years? That is:

Security audit on base install?

Any audit on the actual build, is it well designed or cobbled together? Conducive in the support of 3rd party developers like jetbackup and others who are starting to look at it in more detail and build apps, that kind of thing.

Here is opinion from Steve from Rack911 (under his you can read Patrick ones)
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770951&p=10156035#post10156035

Steven

Directadmin and Interworx are both very reasonable alternatives to cPanel when it comes to security.

Patrick

We have extensively gone over DirectAdmin, Plesk, InterWorx & ISPManager at some point in time.
    While I can't speak of their current security status, I'm confident they are (most likely) more secure than the 8 alternative panels listed above.

Thanked by 2uptime Lee
  • All hail DirectAdmin :smiley:

Soon as cPanel icon grid look-alike theme is released many will switch for sure :smile:

• donlidonli Member

@Francisco said:

@experttechit said:
    I think we best send the directadmin team some food to keep them going as I bet they are extremely busy!

I'm wanting to send them an "Employee of the Month" picture with cPanel's logo in the middle.

Francisco

• Just to chime in that 5 domains (unlimited subdomains) for a lite yearly license (for security updates) with community support only is about right. Anything more is more than a hobbyist or personal use imo. I have gone the real man way with cli since some time back, but if there's a decently priced control panel that has a nice feature set, is secure and not too expensive, I don't mind getting lazy.

Thanked by 2Sofia_K vimalware
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

smtalk said: Can disable only PHP sends, only SMTP, or both, rate-limit them. Can also limit IMAP/POP etc. To disable mail per user basis: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=655

Thank you for the information. Would it be too hard implementing this as an on/off button in the client and reseller control panel so that an average user can turn off mail right from their control panel?

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

kp93 said: No Reseller Option
    For personal or any hobby project this is maximum most of the users will have.

I think there should be a reseller option. Limit should be imposed on the number of domains accounts.

Having the reseller option will allow experimenting with the control panel while all features are enabled, before upgrading to a more costly license.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@desfire said:
    Hi @DA_Mark is it possible to set the icons template for "user" and then the sidebar template for "admin" and "resellers", that way would be perfect and would be similar for those who used cPanel!

You could simply force the icons template on everybody (set it as default), and then a reseller or admin can simply go to skin options and change it to sidebar for himself.

Or do you mean a different skin per level ? Admin/Reseller sees sidebar but when switching over to User, they see icons? Due to the power of our Evo skin we can make this happen super easy. Please confirm this is what you mean. :) Others, do you like this idea too?

As for security, I can confirm that we have hired Rack911 in the past for audits. A new one is to be conducted this coming week, actually. Credit goes to them though. They expressed concern about a new layer of security risks with the native cPanel importer feature, and we agreed it was a legitimate reason for a new audit.

So we are working like mad to pump out our newest DA release/binary so Rack911 has a finalized product to audit.

At the moment you still need to manually download/install a bash script to get the cPanel migration functionality working in DA. It's annoying and clunky but necessary so we could offer the feature within 48 hours of the cPanel announcement.

With this new release, there is nothing needed to get it working. Nothing to install, no extra steps. It'll just be there. DA will simply accept a cPanel cpmove backup or DA backup, whatever you throw at it. Not only more convenient, but now Rack911 has a finalized product to audit.

There's also our 15 year history, we aren't exactly a new product. We wouldn't be around if customers were getting rooted on a regular basis. But of course that doesn't answer the question of "How secure is DA, right now?" Guess we'll find out soon enough.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@MechanicWeb said:

Having the reseller option will allow experimenting with the control panel while all features are enabled, before upgrading to a more costly license.

I'm with you on this. Also, documentation would be a mess because now there is a different feature set between license types. Heck, I couldn't even answer forum questions directly because I wouldn't know what license you have or if a feature is even available to you.

Removing reseller functionality is a very smart idea for bringing it closer to a personal license. I like it. It's just that the pros of it don't outweigh the cons.

Thanked by 2kp93 MechanicWeb
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

Removed, not on topic for this thread

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

DA_Mark said: Or do you mean a different skin per level ? Admin/Reseller sees sidebar but when switching over to User, they see icons? Due to the power of our Evo skin we can make this happen super easy. Please confirm this is what you mean. :) Others, do you like this idea too?

I think sidebar and icon for admin and reseller level will be better for who is coming from cPanel. For User level only icon skin is better for me.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Props to @DA_Mark for being so responsive here and also picking up the LET "flair" (seems like a good lad) and also to @Francisco for pushing DA to the public with such ambition :)

Let's make the best of it!

• @DA_Mark said:

@desfire said:
    Hi @DA_Mark is it possible to set the icons template for "user" and then the sidebar template for "admin" and "resellers", that way would be perfect and would be similar for those who used cPanel!

You could simply force the icons template on everybody (set it as default), and then a reseller or admin can simply go to skin options and change it to sidebar for himself.

Or do you mean a different skin per level ? Admin/Reseller sees sidebar but when switching over to User, they see icons? Due to the power of our Evo skin we can make this happen super easy. Please confirm this is what you mean. :) Others, do you like this idea too?

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant! It would be more easier for everyone to know in which level they are, reseller: sidebar, user: icon grid.

• @Ympker said:
    Props to @DA_Mark for being so responsive here and also picking up the LET "flair" (seems like a good lad) and also to @Francisco for pushing DA to the public with such ambition :)

Let's make the best of it!

Thansk @Ympker Long time lurker here, didn't need to pick up anything!! A few people have called me out on it (at least in PM, in a respectable way) but the truth is we don't need extra promo -- we can barely keep up with all the incoming questions/inquiries.

More valuable is advice because it really cuts down on that brainstorming stage and allows quicker development. I guess @Francisco picked up on this and called it a suggestions thread, not a "Let's consider DirectAdmin" thread.

So yeah, we're using you guys. Blame Fran though.

• emghemgh Member

@DA_Mark said:

@MechanicWeb said:

I'm with you on this. Also, documentation would be a mess because now there is a different feature set between license types. Heck, I couldn't even answer forum questions directly because I wouldn't know what license you have or if a feature is even available to you.

Removing reseller functionality is a very smart idea for bringing it closer to a personal license. I like it. It's just that the pros of it don't outweigh the cons.

Obviously accounts should be really limited for the personal, just one is fair. That'd mean no reselling possible. However, I don't think domains should be limited to 5. I run what I'd call a personal project and It's currently at 20. No limits what-so-ever but limited to just 1 account seems fair. It's the definition of Personal. One account.

• donlidonli Member

@emgh said:

Obviously accounts should be really limited for the personal, just one is fair. That'd mean no reselling possible. However, I don't think domains should be limited to 5. I run what I'd call a personal project and It's currently at 20. No limits what-so-ever but limited to just 1 account seems fair. It's the definition of Personal. One account.

Sub-domains are your friend.

Thanked by 2poisson vimalware
  • emghemgh Member

@donli said:

@emgh said:

Sub-domains are your friend.

Subdomains isn't my friend if I have 20 domains needing to be seperate.

• LeeLee Veteran

Go me, I just went through the entire set up of my first client on a shared account using DA and he now has a running WordPress blog.

Ok, I was the test client but its progress...

• @desfire said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant! It would be more easier for everyone to know in which level they are, reseller: sidebar, user: icon grid.

Good news then, we should be able to get it out soon. Might put it on our demo site first, so everybody can give feedback. It will probably be named "Hybrid" in the dropdown of skin options.

@emgh said:

Subdomains isn't my friend if I have 20 domains needing to be seperate.

We were kind of leaning to around 15 as the max but we need every opinion.

The problem is, we can't do all3 things: high domains, high users (logins) and a low-end price.

So I just need so clarify. Yes, under one account (login) let's just say there is 20 domains allowed. You don't want to use the subdomain feature. You want each "subdomain" to be handled as a fully independent domain and have it's own config and feature set. No problem.

What I need to know is, are you also picturing 20 different logins for those 20 domains (subdomains)?

Thanked by 1MechanicWeb
  • emghemgh Member

DA_Mark said: What I need to know is, are you also picturing 20 different logins for those 20 domains (subdomains)?

>

No. It's a personal package and so the usage would only be me. A limit with 1 user seems fair as it would allow anything that's personal no matter how many domains and other factors while disallowing anything not personal as you can't really sell hosting or do anything company-wide if everyone has the same login. I think it's fair.

That way, no limits for anyone actually wanting to use it personally, while not enabeling any non-personal use.

Thanked by 1SashkaPro
  • LeeLee Veteran

DA_Mark said: The problem is, we can't do all3 things: high domains, high users (logins) and a low-end price.

Have you thought about a per-user charge?

• emghemgh Member

@Lee said:

DA_Mark said: The problem is, we can't do all3 things: high domains, high users (logins) and a low-end price.

Maybe 2.4 per year.

Thanked by 3lazyt Francisco mrTom
  • donlidonli Member

@Lee said:
    Go me, I just went through the entire set up of my first client on a shared account using DA and he now has a running WordPress blog.

Ok, I was the test client but its progress...

I wouldn't call a new WordPress blog "progress".

• lazytlazyt Member

I see what you did there!

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@emgh said:

That way, no limits for anyone actually wanting to use it personally, while not enabling any non-personal use.

THAT'S what I needed to know. There's no way personal dev/hobby use 'needs' 20 consecutive logins by 20 different human beings. Was considering maybe 2 users, like a side-kick user (marketing stuff blah blah). Can't promise something as high as 20 domains but @donli was right, subdomains in terms of the subdomain feature are still unlimited.

@Lee said:

As a general licensing model? Too soon man, too soon. If you mean in terms of the Lite license, I definitely didn't ignore the suggestions about tiers and whatnot. But here's the other thing:

In addition to being a fair price/features mix in general, we also have to balance this against our datacenter customers which are the massive bulk of our business. The ability to offer licenses cheaper than the retail prices on our site are a draw and profit-maker. Customer doesn't care about portability. If they can save $29/month and the host throws it in for "free" or a few bucks, it's still better than $29.

So it would be a hard no on tiers or allowing a Lite to be specced upwards. It has to be painfully restrictive for this reason. Perhaps even painfully restrictive to you guys, because you are what I call power-users; you are regulars in a hosting forum, and as you said, your personal use might be a bunch of dev products and domains. Not ignoring that fact, but also pointing out that not everybody new to hosting or control panels is going to have 30 domains sitting there. One reaching an intermediate user, bordering on commercial, that's where we want the Lite to feel a bit restrictive.

The vibe I'm going for is: "Oh that's cool, a real license for my small use. About time someone did this."

But if it's someone starting to get into that power-user stage, we want them to say "Meh. Easier to just get a Slice from @Francisco and get unlimited everything."

• emghemgh Member

@DA_Mark said:

@emgh said:

That way, no limits for anyone actually wanting to use it personally, while not enabling any non-personal use.

THAT'S what I needed to know. There's no way personal dev/hobby use 'needs' 20 consecutive logins by 20 different human beings. Was considering maybe 2 users, like a side-kick user (marketing stuff blah blah). Can't promise something as high as 20 domains but @donli was right, subdomains in terms of the subdomain feature are still unlimited.

@Lee said:

As a general licensing model? Too soon man, too soon. If you mean in terms of the Lite license, I definitely didn't ignore the suggestions about tiers and whatnot. But here's the other thing:

In addition to being a fair price/features mix in general, we also have to balance this against our datacenter customers which are the massive bulk of our business. The ability to offer licenses cheaper than the retail prices on our site are a draw and profit-maker. Customer doesn't care about portability. If they can save $29/month and the host throws it in for "free" or a few bucks, it's still better than $29.

So it would be a hard no on tiers or allowing a Lite to be specced upwards. It has to be painfully restrictive for this reason. Perhaps even painfully restrictive to you guys, because you are what I call power-users; you are regulars in a hosting forum, and as you said, your personal use might be a bunch of dev products and domains. Not ignoring that fact, but also pointing out that not everybody new to hosting or control panels is going to have 30 domains sitting there. One reaching an intermediate user, bordering on commercial, that's where we want the Lite to feel a bit restrictive.

The vibe I'm going for is: "Oh that's cool, a real license for my small use. About time someone did this."

But if it's someone starting to get into that power-user stage, we want them to say "Meh. Easier to just get a Slice from @Francisco and get unlimited everything."

If it's going to be really cheap getting 2 licences and 2 vps servers would be cheaper than the 2nd cheapest licence.

• AdvicerxyzAdvicerxyz Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:

@emgh said:

@Lee said:

well main issue right now in DA is the backup, not incremental backups, built in with ftp backup in DA partly working, not auto delete old backups so who will ?
    we want to push DA to public clients but no backups are no go for us

• emghemgh Member
    edited July 2019

@Lee said:

well main issue right now in DA is the backup, not incremental backups, built in with ftp backup in DA partly working, not auto delete old backups so who will ?
    we want to push DA to public clients but no backups are no go for us

I don't know why but i generally dislike incremental backups. Doesn't feel complete. I guess practical for those with much disk usage and big files. For random personal websites I'd just go for normal backups.

Can you @DA_Mark confirm auto removal of backups is a no no? If that's the case that needs to be a feature.

• @Advicerxyz , totally fair comment. That's one thing where cPanel's popularity is beneficial, you have the most advanced backup modules from guys like Acronis or Jetbackup. It's not secret that Jetbackup already contacted us, no clue about Acronis yet.

It is always good to have some functionality within the panel itself, at least so customers can automate backups and move them offsite, somehow. Not being forced to use a 3rd party solution. But of course we can look on improving this. However, not to the level of an Aronis or Jetbackup plugin. People buy these for a reason, they are superior to the core functionality of what the control panel has.

Short answer: Yes ours could be better, but we also believe widespread DA use will encourage those amazing backup plugins.

As for smaller developers I know there is dabackup.com and directadminbackup.com with features like incremental backups already in place. It's not like there's no options, but many people insist on the bigger ones, especially if they are already familiar with them.

** Full disclosure: No relationship with either of those DA backup tools, mentioned for information only.