Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• trash folder in file manager will be a +1 as well

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @DA_Mark said:
    @Advicerxyz , totally fair comment. That's one thing where cPanel's popularity is beneficial, you have the most advanced backup modules from guys like Acronis or Jetbackup. It's not secret that Jetbackup already contacted us, no clue about Acronis yet.

It is always good to have some functionality within the panel itself, at least so customers can automate backups and move them offsite, somehow. Not being forced to use a 3rd party solution. But of course we can look on improving this. However, not to the level of an Aronis or Jetbackup plugin. People buy these for a reason, they are superior to the core functionality of what the control panel has.

Short answer: Yes ours could be better, but we also believe widespread DA use will encourage those amazing backup plugins.

As for smaller developers I know there is dabackup.com and directadminbackup.com with features like incremental backups already in place. It's not like there's no options, but many people insist on the bigger ones, especially if they are already familiar with them.

** Full disclosure: No relationship with either of those DA backup tools, mentioned for information only.

both not longer maintained already check there a some user on your forum who also got one, tried the trial but always errors and he not answering seems like that project died too

• Well that's lame. Show's there's an immediate market for such a plugin too.

Yes, there already is auto-delete of backups, auto-overwrite of backups etc.

Technical explanation URL: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1565

Short answer: Auto overwrite naturally, or append a day (or all days) of the week to define when backups get deleted.

As for other commercial options, clusterlogics or r1soft are there too

• HostXNowHostXNow Member
    edited July 2019

I must say Acronis for cPanel/WHM (block-level) is blazing fast. So quick at backup/restore compared to file-level backup and so much better for servers with a larger amount of data on them.

I contacted Acronis about a plugin for DirectAdmin

#

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for contacting Acronis Service Provider Support. My name is Arjun.

The case number for the interaction is 03928497. The severity of the case is D.

As I understand, you want to know if the backup module for DirectAdmin web hosting control panel is integrated with Aronis Cyber Cloud. I will be glad to assist you with this query.

We have an internal ticket(CI-5019) for this request. Currently it is in backlog and there is no ETA for its release.

Absolutely, Acronis is constantly working on improving the quality of product features and functionality. Your feedback is very valuable and I have voted for this feature. Our Product Management reviews the Customers’ feedbacks on the regular basis. At this point I am not able to commit whether it will be included in our next release or not. You can follow our official release notes to track the changes in our products. We publish there the list of new features.

Feel free to get back to us should you have any further questions. I look forward to your response.

Best regards,
    Arjun Sankaranarayan
    Support Professional
    Acronis Service Provider Support Team

#

I hope they can add it soon.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

Thanks for sharing this. The same person posted it on our forum and on another popular web hosting forum.

Probably the first "in the wild" review that is both very detailed and unbiased.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

At first, when I looked into DirectAdmin, the link based theme and the lack of some cPanel like features put me off.

I was further off when I called it not userfriendly as the theme is link based, not icon based. Someone put me down saying the link based theme was user friendly.

Since then I was following DA but what I noticed is impressive. Not only they introduced an icon based theme, but they are also heavily interacting with the community.

So far, they are doing a good job and I wish my warmest regards to them and hope that they continue to improve themselves.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • Thanks @MechanicWeb nice of you to show up and say that about us. Who knows how this situation will play out, but at least we are bettering ourselves and taking seriously suggestions from the community. As far as I'm concerned, it's already win-win.

Speaking of that, the suggestion to have an icon theme at user level and sidebar theme at reseller/admin level is already being implemented and will appear as "hybrid" under skin options. 100% LET-based development :)

• Someone on Cpanel forum posted few insights on DA. It's a good read for those who want to jump the ship. here's the link to the post.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Based on this thread, I am really liking where DA is headed.

However, the real question is how long before Oakley Capital contacts @DA_Mark with an offer to help him buy that private jet along with the optional 99k/yr add-on?

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • @DA_Mark i'm not play with da enough to explore this so i ask to you, the only cpanel features missing is HA or master slave setup, is it possible with DA without manual sync?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@robohost said:
    @DA_Mark i'm not play with da enough to explore this so i ask to you, the only cpanel features missing is HA or master slave setup, is it possible with DA without manual sync?

It isn't. It's too hard to sync that much data short of you start splitting services up and have multiple nodes.

Francisco

• +1 for icon based theme

and how can I help you to convert DA into my local language? I can do the conversion part. @DA_Mark

• @K4Y5 said:

However, the real question is how long before Oakley Capital contacts @DA_Mark with an offer to help him buy that private jet along with the optional 99k/yr add-on?

already asked them they said they got multi offer in recent time and one aggresive one, maybe oakly? and they turn them all down. pretty good start
    DA please do not sold out!

• @Advicerxyz said:

@K4Y5 said:

already asked them they said they got multi offer in recent time and one aggresive one, maybe oakly? and they turn them all down. pretty good start
    DA please do not sold out!

Yes, we don't want to go through the same thing again

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@sweatbar said:

Only a free, open source, solution is guaranteed protection against that.

• hello, i need Mcrypt PHP extension enable/installed by default, i need to my Laravel 4.2 script.

or like cPanel, user can enable/disable PHP extension.

and PHP version selector ;)

thanks

• LeeLee Veteran

abangnoob said: Laravel 4.2

You need to do something about that first.

• smtalksmtalk Member

fiend said: one

@abangnoob said:
    hello, i need Mcrypt PHP extension enable/installed by default, i need to my Laravel 4.2 script.

thanks

I guess you're looking for PHP <7.2 then, as in 7.2 and higher it has been replaced by libsodium :smile: Just downgrade your version of PHP to 7.1 for example, and you'll have mcrypt there.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @abangnoob said:
    hello, i need Mcrypt PHP extension enable/installed by default, i need to my Laravel 4.2 script.

thanks

You can find this option if you install DA on top of CloudLinux

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

sweatbar said: You can find this option if you install DA on top of CloudLinux

Bit extreme depending on his actual requirements. Custombuild will more than likely do what he needs. But he really needs to work on his Laravel version.

Thanked by 1sweatbar
  • @donli said:

@sweatbar said:

Free open source is problematic in terms of guaranteeing timely maintenance, updates, security patches, customer support etc.

Having only 2, or 3 "big players" is also not safe enough - there can always be (silent) agreements on higher prices by all the providers.

It's capitalism - we'll get screwed one way, or another. It helps if you can look ahead and adapt quickly. DirectAdmin today, who knows what tomorrow.

Having said this - I have no reason to doubt DirectAdmin good intentions, panel quality, improvement, support, or pricing policy. But one can never be 100 % certain, things change. Always.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

@bikegremlin said:

@donli said:

@sweatbar said:

Free open source is problematic in terms of guaranteeing timely maintenance, updates, security patches, customer support etc.

Having only 2, or 3 "big players" is also not safe enough - there can always be (silent) agreements on higher prices by all the providers.

It's capitalism - we'll get screwed one way, or another. It helps if you can look ahead and adapt quickly. DirectAdmin today, who knows what tomorrow.

Having said this - I have no reason to doubt DirectAdmin good intentions, panel quality, improvement, support, or pricing policy. But one can never be 100 % certain, things change. Always.

I believe the advantage of ISPConfig and Keyhelp towards other OpenSource panels is that they are both owned by companies that use them in Production. Thus we can expect swift security fixes to be applied :)

Of course, paying for a panel is another story.

Thanked by 3AlwaysSkint v3ng kkrajk
  • donlidonli Member

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@donli said:

@sweatbar said:

I believe the advantage of ISPConfig and Keyhelp towards other OpenSource panels is that they are both owned by companies that use them in Production. Thus we can expect swift security fixes to be applied :)

Of course, paying for a panel is another story.

The shared hosting industry is certainly in the paid-for realm these days between CloudLinux, Lite Speed Webserver and cPanel/DA.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • DA could do with a "Remember User" option during login- it's bit of a pain to manually key in the password each time. Whilst testing, I've ended up putting in a not-so-good password to make life easier (including adding plugins).

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark - Is your licence update process for an IP change a manual one? Trying to do several re-installs to document the process, each time I am just shifting to a new server for speed/change of config. The IP change can take minutes or hours.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

Morning, guys. Yeah, that's the reason I've been avoiding the other big hosting forum. If it was just a PR/exposure thing I'd be there instead of here. Once it got to proving we aren't Oakley in disguise and this is a 17-year plan to rise up and betray the hosting community.... it was like yeah, that's enough internet for today.

There's already some open-source stuff and actually, the reason Rack911 hasn't audited the commercial panels yet is that they audited all the free ones first. The open source guys aren't going to toss cash at Rack911 for this. "Company" doesn't necessarily mean evil and greedy and this is a good example of doing something beneficial to the hosting community instead of screwing them over.

@Lee You can open a ticket and we can disable that delay

@AlwaysSkint Totally rational suggestion. In the meantime you define how long a user is remembered by going into admin settings in the admin panel and edit the session time.

@sweatbar With our new Evo skin, making your own language packs is practically as easy as editing a text file. You don't have to be a coder or graphical/skin designer. See: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=704

@robohost One-click HA load-balance cluster.. I wish. But I'm not saying we don't have better clustering in the works.

Speaking of LET-based development, we were a little let down about the lack of 3rd party backup support and the simplicity of our backups so we are already working on native integration of something that will be pretty slick. Within 12 hours of LET discussion Martynas already posted a guide on our forum for incremental DA backups without needing a 3rd party plugin.

To everyone else, stop asking. We having the PHP SELEKTOR already.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@abangnoob said:

thanks

I believe you are a client of ours, this has been enabled for you for PHP 7.2 :)

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

Thanks @DA_Mark

Don't understand why people hate on the evolution theme, it's the best of them all in my view of course, but your views are irrelevant anyway :)

The icon theme is, well, trying to convince people they are using cPanel.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2019

DA_Mark said: To everyone else, stop asking. We having the PHP SELEKTOR already.

It's OK!

Thanked by 2ITLabs Sofia_K