Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• nfnnfn Veteran

Just a side note, are we able to install just the features we need?
    For instance, install only webserver, php amd mariadb and not ftp, dns etc?

If this is not possible, this would be a good feature to allow a slim install in low end vps.

Thanked by 2rzlosty mrTom
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

Narrowed my request down:
    As with WHM, I'd like to see a page with

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl fullstatus

(A CentOSWebPanel, Centos 7 example - path may be different elsewhere. Lynx is required.)

• emghemgh Member

@Hetzner_OL Already tagged you once with no success. Give us Direct admin with the Cloud line and your company is basically heaven.

• bulabula Member
    edited July 2019

CPanel hinted at an announcement today so best to wait until after their announcement (and any possible change in their pricing/terms) before any such decisions are made.

Even if cPanel retracts or revises their new license program I suspect maybe minimum or to existing customers only. Since I am no longer in the Hosting business, I would still recommend providers to look at the alternative panels be it DA, InterWorx or any other open-source or paid versions. Its always best to have a backup plan as in the event of worst case scenario. With cPanel acquired by a VC, who know what the future maybe lead them to be. Specially what they just did a week ago to the very customers who built them.

• @emre said:
    who thinks @DA_Mark was such a talkative nice person who knows all the jargon of let and with great humor.

in all my years dealing with directadmin the longest mail I get from him is "done"

thanks

• bulabula Member

@emre said:
    who thinks @DA_Mark was such a talkative nice person who knows all the jargon of let and with great humor.

in all my years dealing with directadmin the longest mail I get from him is "done"

Indeed @DA_Mark replies are always short. Hardly have to get in touch with DA Technical as the community is so as well as lots of resources are available for it. Only time I contact Mark is if I need license IP change. Otherwise have been extremely happy user of DA for over 10 yrs.

• I'm pretty sure that's John, I rarely say just "done" and if I'm pressed for time I try to make the laziness sound more enthusiastic. "No problem, done!"

@bula Good to know you're experience has been positive, that is a long time

• emreemre Member, LIR
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:
    I'm pretty sure that's John, I rarely say just "done" and if I'm pressed for time I try to make the laziness sound more enthusiastic. "No problem, done!"

@bula Good to know you're experience has been positive, that is a long time

it's been 13 years since my first DA license!

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

Hi @DA_Mark

I pretty much agree with what @vimalware wrote ... way back in the day when I was just a hobbyist, per se ... I had a domain for my business, my rental properties, my hobby, and my dad. :) So 5 domains is perfect for a lite license IMHO. As for cost, I am a cheapskate so something in the $7-12/year range at most. Afterall, this is not for commercial use - at least it is not supposed to be.

@vimalware said:
    my Lite plan feedback:

• Domain limit : 5 (I understand subdomains would not be counted , for us avid self-hosters)
    • Price : as cheap yearly-only as you can go, for access to the security update CDN.
      I wouldn't be able to spare more than $12/yr because that's all I can afford for hobby tools.

• Support: community-only is the way to go like willie said.
      Highlight that fact in multiple places in the order process, to let it sink in properly to the skulls of some of our friends.
      (you'll get an active forum. Please make search work well.)

Edit: +No reseller features. The feature set should be targeted at PHP self-hosters.
    Some security features like jailing to a home directory per PHP app would be great.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

Ok, the cPanel pricing update is out. No major change. Good luck to you Direct Admin, great opportunity for you here.

By the end of this week, we will reinstate cPanel Solo licenses (Cloud) in the cPanel Store. They will be available at $15/month on Cloud only. Additionally, we will no longer convert existing cPanel Solo licenses to the Admin package.

We will add a new 50 account “Plus” package available at Partner pricing for $25/month USD to our Cloud offering for customers who aren’t quite ready for a 100 account+ Premier license.

Thanked by 1willie
  • LeeLee Veteran

@DA_Mark - Go on set up an official DA discord, you know you want to. What else you got to do on a Friday night?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • fiendfiend Member

@DA_Mark for the lite license in my case it would be 1 user and like 15 domains, i have way more but i also don't like putting all my eggs in one basket and the price not sure, but yeah something yearly.

On the panel side (i tested it like a couple of years so take it with a grain of salt), but easier install, easier updates, thats important on the panel itself easy way to install litespeed, open litespeed and or install nginx as a reverse proxy.

Besides that i think you have pretty much all that is needed, im just interested in a secure and quick panel and the best performance possible, sure maybe a clean up of the theme might be good too but features and performance are more important to me, cpanel isnt a that good of a panel as well, hope you guys do good!

• @Lee said:
    @DA_Mark - Go on set up an official DA discord, you know you want to. What else you got to do on a Friday night?

I'm behind on work stuff. Ever since this fiasco hit, things have changed. Went to look at private jets but there's a lot more choices available now. Took a lot of my time today.

@fiend said:
    @DA_Mark for the lite license in my case it would be 1 user and like 15 domains, i have way more but i also don't like putting all my eggs in one basket and the price not sure, but yeah something yearly.

On the panel side (i tested it like a couple of years so take it with a grain of salt), but easier install, easier updates, thats important on the panel itself easy way to install litespeed, open litespeed and or install nginx as a reverse proxy.

Besides that i think you have pretty much all that is needed, im just interested in a secure and quick panel and the best performance possible, sure maybe a clean up of the theme might be good too but features and performance are more important to me, cpanel isnt a that good of a panel as well, hope you guys do good!

Excellent suggestions, especially the clunky install aspect. Our installer is downright archaic but this is a perfect synergy moment. Preparing for the Lite and DNS license requires a teardown and build from scratch of our licensing/update system. You SHOULD be able to install without entering anything, assuming your IP is licensed. Simple "duh" stuff like that.

As for web server technologies.. you can install those things you mentioned in one click now. Or if you don't use the CustomBuild GUI plugin, just a couple bash commands. :)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

DA_Mark said: Went to look at private jets but there's a lot more choices available now. Took a lot of my time today.

Need to be careful with getting seen by customers. August last year literally just picked a new Range Rover, drove it into the city, jumped out and walked straight into a customer who replied:

"Oh, so this is where my money is going". I wanted to reply with

But I told him it was my wifes...

• @Lee said:

DA_Mark said: Went to look at private jets but there's a lot more choices available now. Took a lot of my time today.

Need to be careful with getting seen by customers. August last year literally just picked a new Range Rover, drove it into the city, jumped out and walked straight into a customer who replied:

"Oh, so this is where my money is going". I wanted to reply with

But I told him it was my wifes...

All the more reason to be faceless..

• LeeLee Veteran

Mic-hael said: All the more reason to be faceless..

I am for the most part, but some customers you can't be.

• Yeah, it's all "duh" stuff, and a license/update system rebuild is the perfect chance to make those improvements. So I guess you can say things are getting pretty serious.

@Lee -- didn't actually buy the jet. There was one I liked, and it's not cheap, so they throw in a pilot for life. But now they say it's $99,000/year extra. They lost my trust.

• LeeLee Veteran

Can't trust anyone.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

DA_Mark said: I'm behind on work stuff. Ever since this fiasco hit, things have changed. Went to look at private jets but there's a lot more choices available now. Took a lot of my time today.

Everything was fine until the Oakley nation attacked.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MichaelCee

If you're rewriting the installer, it'd be nice if you could try to generalize things so it'd be easier for us to build OS templates for it. Being able to roll out DA in a matter of a couple minutes would be sweet for us VPS nerds.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    If you're rewriting the installer, it'd be nice if you could try to generalize things so it'd be easier for us to build OS templates for it. Being able to roll out DA in a matter of a couple minutes would be sweet for us VPS nerds.

Francisco

Yeah it's been the same feedback from the big guys who deploy mass quantities,too painful and slow. Other suggestion was at least rpms/debs or something. Templates are always nice unless they are old. Suggestion noted.

@DA_Mark said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Yeah it's been the same feedback from the big guys who deploy mass quantities,too painful and slow. Other suggestion was at least rpms/debs or something. Templates are always nice unless they are old. Suggestion noted.

I think you're going to hit a point that you're going to have to cull some of your supported platforms just to make management possible.

cPanel slayed the demons many years ago. I honestly don't know anyone using BSD for shared hosting.

Francisco

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • They do, it's an okay seller for us but not necessarily for it's own sake -- perhaps because we are the only ones left who support FreeBSD.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Hi @DA_Mark is it possible to set the icons template for "user" and then the sidebar template for "admin" and "resellers", that way would be perfect and would be similar for those who used cPanel!

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I think we best send the directadmin team some food to keep them going as I bet they are extremely busy!

@experttechit said:
    I think we best send the directadmin team some food to keep them going as I bet they are extremely busy!

I'm wanting to send them an "Employee of the Month" picture with cPanel's logo in the middle.

Francisco

• donlidonli Member

@experttechit said:

Coffee and caffeine-laden soda.

Pizza if they are making progress.

• smtalksmtalk Member
    edited July 2019

@desfire said:
    Hi @DA_Mark is it possible to set the icons template for "user" and then the sidebar template for "admin" and "resellers", that way would be perfect and would be similar for those who used cPanel!

Removed due to @matadorov comment below.

• donli said: Coffee

This. I've almost finished big cofee jar this week. Seems that everybody loves icon grid, so it's totally worth it.

@desfire, I've heard you. I'll add such possibility to evolution customize soon.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

Does anyone know of any reliable audits done on DA in recent years? That is:

Security audit on base install?

Any audit on the actual build, is it well designed or cobbled together? Conducive in the support of 3rd party developers like jetbackup and others who are starting to look at it in more detail and build apps, that kind of thing.

Thanked by 1uptime