Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• I'm not sure that I can explain my my wish correctly but I will try.
    All my domains hosted on cloudflare DNS. Also each domain have letsencrypt cert.
    So my pain: if domain hosted on some panel (da/cpanel/isp not matter) I can't create wildcard certs (DNS based) because of cloudflare dns (panel can't make new TXT on it).

But for example "certbot-dns-cloudflare" rpm can do this via API key on cloudflare.

So just my wish: if per account I can enter CloudFlare API key for managing DNS (TXT, A) that will be a bomb.

Hope that I write right. :)

• AmitzAmitz Member

Hetzner_OL said: Ah, I see. @emgh I can forward your wish for a DA license to our team but I'm afraid the demand for it is not big enough at the moment.

Please do so! :smile:
    One more vote for this!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark
    On the service status window, there's a lovely green icon showing running. It would be good to have a stop/start/restart in there too? Perhaps a toggled start/stop and enable/disable would be better.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @DA_Mark
    On the service status window, there's a lovely green icon showing running. It would be good to have a stop/start/restart in there too? Perhaps a toggled start/stop and enable/disable would be better.

there is when you click on the + (in service monitor)

edited July 2019

Ahhh, thanks @coolice .
    Edit2: Nevermind, that's a different page. I was looking at 2222/admin/system-info which is more of an overview.
    Nothing to see, move along.
    ((blush))

• @AlwaysSkint they are on Admin Level > Service Monitor Icon

• smicrozsmicroz Member
    edited July 2019

In the past I developed a "first-mobile" skin for DA with icons:

https://github.com/smicroz/einDa-skin

MIT license 😉 -> Fork and update

Rgds

pd. I updated with some img ;)

• smicroz said: In the past I developed a first mobile skin for DA with icons:

its really nice. plain. simple. elegant. modern look. looks good on mobile too!

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Like that theme!!

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@smicroz said:

Rgds

pd. I updated with some img ;)

Really nice theme, will have a look into this :-)

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

smicroz said: In the past I developed a "first-mobile" skin for DA with icons:

nice work

sounds like DirectAdmin should open up a skinning marketplace to cultivate that part of ecosystem :)

• Aye, I think I'll be cautious when it comes to installing skins - keep to 'official' and/or proven ones. I took a quick look and the inclusion of a login file rang alarm bells.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @smicroz said:

Was my favorite theme, pity you didn't develop it further, if there comes a fork I will be happy :)

• smicrozsmicroz Member
    edited July 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Aye, I think I'll be cautious when it comes to installing skins - keep to 'official' and/or proven ones. I took a quick look and the inclusion of a login file rang alarm bells.

It’s a DA feature:

https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=250

But, of course, it is free to take any action.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
    edited July 2019

@smicroz said:
    It’s a DA feature:

https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=250

But, of course, it is free to take any action.

Fair enough, just something that caught my attention: at least it's open source. ;)
    Perhaps a reminder to vet which plugins to use and where they come from, is more generic. We're not installing an app on a mobile/cell phone, nor Windoze gaming machine (seeing everything is called a bloody app these days! What's wrong with program?).

• limitedlimited Member
    edited July 2019

Is it possible to deploy Python web apps in DirectAdmin? If it's possible, how's the process of installing python modules, can the end user do it without SSH access?

Thanked by 1donli
  • smtalksmtalk Member

@limited said:
    Is it possible to deploy Python web apps in DirectAdmin? If it's possible, how's the process of installing python modules, can the end user do it without SSH access?

No native support, but it’s already available for DA from CloudLinux beta channel
    https://www.cloudlinux.com/cloudlinux-os-blog/entry/enjoy-our-new-client-python-selector-now-in-beta

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

I don't know if this has been raised - but there are a few things that really ruin DA for me.

• 'Access Level', maybe it's what I'm used to but this is like plesks multi view shit. If I'm an Admin, I want to see all of the functions that I might use as a reseller or an administrator. This is where WHM shines, it's not for the end-user and provides a much more useful view for a web host!

• When you create a domain in a user account (this info is correct as of what I'm currently seeing on the DA account I have, another feature that's also lovingly included in Plesk) it treats it more like a new package and less like a part of the existing one... I really hate this approach as I'd rather just manage it all from within one area. If I wanted to have multiple accounts, I'd buy a reseller!

• This mass support of DA is assuming they won't get snapped up by a VC in a year or so and just pull a cPanel on you. Price guarantees are helpful but there are always loopholes. (New DirectAdmin 2!)

• I'm concerned by the amount of people who are able to offer DA licenses at no cost, this seems like it could potentially cause issues for DA as this seems like a pretty damn irresponsible play - cPanel didn't raise their prices in so many years and then as a result we got this huge model shift.

The good is obviously they seem to care about the LE community and are open to suggestions and changes. I will be looking in to DA more seriously once the grid theme comes out, I don't think I'll ever leave cPanel but I may mix up what I'm using overall. I'm still burned from the lack of a new skin over a super long period of time (the 2003 IE look died a long time ago.)

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@smtalk said:

No native support, but it’s already available for DA from CloudLinux beta channel
    https://www.cloudlinux.com/cloudlinux-os-blog/entry/enjoy-our-new-client-python-selector-now-in-beta

Holy cow a Python selektor. I've only ever seen one shared hosting provider that offers more than one version of Python.

• smtalksmtalk Member

@LordSpock said:

• 'Access Level', maybe it's what I'm used to but this is like plesks multi view shit. If I'm an Admin, I want to see all of the functions that I might use as a reseller or an administrator. This is where WHM shines, it's not for the end-user and provides a much more useful view for a web host!

Did you try "merging" these in icons grid? Or just using "hybrid" layout.

The good is obviously they seem to care about the LE community and are open to suggestions and changes. I will be looking in to DA more seriously once the grid theme comes out, I don't think I'll ever leave cPanel but I may mix up what I'm using overall. I'm still burned from the lack of a new skin over a super long period of time (the 2003 IE look died a long time ago.)

"Icons Grid" an "Hybrid" are layouts included into official stable version of DA - 1.57.5 :smile:

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@donli said:

@smtalk said:

Holy cow a Python selektor. I've only ever seen one shared hosting provider that offers more than one version of Python.

NEED PYHTON 2.5 OK ?

• donlidonli Member

@uptime said:
    NEED PYHTON 2.5 OK ?

Heh. Actually you usually get the (old) version included with the operating system install - 2.7.x. It'd be nice if there was a 3.7.x available on the shared hosting.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2019

LordSpock said: This mass support of DA is assuming they won't get snapped up by a VC in a year or so and just pull a cPanel on you. Price guarantees are helpful but there are always loopholes. (New DirectAdmin 2!)

There's no gurantees with any 3rd paty control panel - paid, free/open source etc that you don't have any direct control over. The gist of it, everyone prioritises their own needs and requirements over others. It's only when you have enough folks coming together - who's priorities and needs align, do you get positive forward momentum and movement :)

example, look how smaller cloud providers Linode, DigitalOcean, Vultr etc came together when Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities first came to light - the amount of cooperation for a common need/priority was there.

• jflipsjflips Member
    • Make it so almost no command-line is necessary. A tough feat but I think totally possible.
    • Installing should be one line and not require any pre-install stuff.
    • Update the forum design and website appearance. This way, clients don't think we're going cheap on them.
    • Simple 1-click solution for LE SSL, which should already be enabled right off the bat. I don't want to dig through CLI/config-files to set that up.

Love what you guys are doing and the personalities I've chatted with on email/support, also your absolutely fair pricing but can't deploy you guys into the wild just yet.

Will be rooting for you!
    J

Thanked by 1SamP
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2019

jflips said: Make it so almost no command-line is necessary. A tough feat but I think totally possible.

Millenials... Give them GUI no matter what.

Personally I would be scared for hosting provider who don't know or afraid of CLI. That's the basic knowledge. You wanna go hunt with BFG while you can't peel potato with a knife.

• Resellers need some control over email settings. Right now they can not even look at them to see if there is a problem. Starting to be a pain in the ass waiting on the host to solve something simple, or even check on them.

• bruzlibruzli Member, LIR

@LTniger said:

jflips said: Make it so almost no command-line is necessary. A tough feat but I think totally possible.

Millenials... Give them GUI no matter what.

Personally I would be scared for hosting provider who don't know or afraid of CLI. That's the basic knowledge. You wanna go hunt with BFG while you can't peel potato with a knife.

In a hosting company usually there is different level of access for support - not everybody needs to be Level 3. Level 2 has to be able to do stuff without cli :smile:

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

End user request: say I have domain willie.com and use it for various purposes, and I want to set up a web site for my Blurp project (blurp.willie.com). So I go buy a shared hosting plan and I enter blurp.willie.com when it asks what domain I want to use, and I set the DNS for that subdomain to the shared plan's address in the hope of setting up my site with the usual nice installers.

Seems simple enough, but I remember hitting a snag when I tried to do that with cpanel. Cpanel didn't want to control just a subdomain, but it wanted me to put the top level willie.com domain under its control, when as mentioned I use that domain for other things (including possibly multiple web sites on different servers) so I only want the hosting plan to run the subdomain, not the main domain.

Maybe I'm wrong about cpanel but in either case, I hope DA can deal with this.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @willie said:
    End user request: say I have domain willie.com and use it for various purposes, and I want to set up a web site for my Blurp project (blurp.willie.com). So I go buy a shared hosting plan and I enter blurp.willie.com when it asks what domain I want to use, and I set the DNS for that subdomain to the shared plan's address in the hope of setting up my site with the usual nice installers.

Seems simple enough, but I remember hitting a snag when I tried to do that with cpanel. Cpanel didn't want to control just a subdomain, but it wanted me to put the top level willie.com domain under its control, when as mentioned I use that domain for other things (including possibly multiple web sites on different servers) so I only want the hosting plan to run the subdomain, not the main domain.

Maybe I'm wrong about cpanel but in either case, I hope DA can deal with this.

I use and have used such setup with cPanel with no problems.

What might not work is www.blurp.willie.com - at least with https. But the naked one and www.willie.com on its separate account should work with cPanel.

Thanked by 2willie uptime
  • williewillie Member

I'm playing with a cpanel shared plan right now (will try the subdomain thing tomorrow) and while cpanel seems nice, scriptaculous actually is more impressive imho. Maybe less technically intricate, but writing and maintaining those 500 different script installers must have been a heck of a lot of work. I wonder how much of it came from the script providers rather than softaculous devs.

Thanked by 1vimalware