Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• @DA_Mark

Evolution is listing all the domains and subdomains for the user in let's encrypt module while enhanced is only showing subdomains for currently selected domain (and this is how evolution should work as well).

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    .. I wonder how much of it came from the script providers rather than softaculous devs.

Being involved closely with one of the Open Source scripts, I can say that at least one was submitted TO Softaculous. ;-) They have information on creating a package template.

• smtalksmtalk Member

@Ponury_Typ said:
    @DA_Mark

Evolution is listing all the domains and subdomains for the user in let's encrypt module while enhanced is only showing subdomains for currently selected domain (and this is how evolution should work as well).

Are you sure it's skin related? :smile: I guess you're looking for https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1851 and https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2093.

Thanked by 1Ponury_Typ
  • @smtalk said:

@Ponury_Typ said:
    @DA_Mark

Are you sure it's skin related? :smile: I guess you're looking for https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1851 and https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2093.

You were right, this solved the issue with Evolution, but its strange that it is default behavior with old skin but not with the new one.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark never remove the Evolution theme! Now completed near 40 tutorials with screenshots on a new website offering DA services for clients to make it easier for them and reduce tickets.

I always feel like my life is over before I even start having to do tutorials...

Thanked by 1level6
  • smtalksmtalk Member

@Lee said:
    @DA_Mark never remove the Evolution theme! Now completed near 40 tutorials with screenshots on a new website offering DA services for clients to make it easier for them and reduce tickets.

I always feel like my life is over before I even start having to do tutorials...

Are you aware of https://site-helper.com/evo/sitehelper.php ? :smile:

• LeeLee Veteran

Indeed I am, however, my target client is not interested in being redirected to another site when they pay the prices I charge them.

Thanked by 2smtalk Limpan
  • williewillie Member

Way back in the day I faced a problem like that (needed to make a mashup of the site where I worked and the site of one of our vendors) and I ended up hacking the apache proxy module to read in the vendor's page, do some text transformations, and pass it on to our user's browser. It sounds awful but it actually worked pretty well.

• LeeLee Veteran

willie said: It sounds awful but it actually worked pretty well.

Have done that before, it does work :)

Although the first time I looked at that link above the first thing I saw was a how-to for MS Frontpage.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I’d love to see a sort of welcome screen when you first load DA:

Asking simple things and to get you started for example:

Set nameservers
    Add extra ip’s if there are any
    Enable firewall (csf)
    Enable ssl (let’s encrypt)
    Set PHP version
    Ask if you want to install MariaDB
    Add server contact email

It also like to a bit more regarding emails coming into and leaving the server for troubleshooting.

Thanked by 2DA_Mark Ympker
  • @experttechit

YES -- thanks! It is something I brought up internally a while ago. Something along the line of "Wizards" where you can be walked through all those features and have everything setup for you at the end. Especially things like mail deliverability that confuses people.

The best part is -- it's using features that are already there, but presenting them in a better way. Of course a "skip" button is useful for people who hate setup wizards.

I'm going to use this for ammo. :wink:

That sounds good, I think users coming from cPanel tend not to use command line much.... where as direct admin you do...

It just makes it a bit easier, when setting up a server....

Also I am not sure if it does this, but maybe raise support tickets from the server, where it loads an ssh key to save putting details in to every ticket... I know it similar to another system, but it does work.

Some guides on securing the server would also be good and useful....

Email tracking from within DA is a must especially Witt all these contact forms and forwards people use.

• I have to be totally honest here, it's even a personal frustration of mine, like when I install DA for a friend. The DA installation process may be a bit sluggish (compiling time) but it's pretty darn easy. That part doesn't bother me. Can always find something else do to while everything is compliling.

What takes most of my time is the things after DA is installed. Just getting everything configured/setup the way I want it, ready to go. Having Wizards there (but not forced on you) seems like a great solution. Basically a screen that says "Here's my domain.. I want this, this, and that." Boom, it's done.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:
    Having Wizards there (but not forced on you) seems like a great solution. Basically a screen that says "Here's my domain.. I want this, this, and that." Boom, it's done.

pfSense does their wizard really well if you're looking for an example. It'll force a password change on first login, and then push you through wizard to setup your basics - but you can just skip out and jump into the advanced settings if you want.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @Harambe thanks for that. This is a feedback thread for a reason, we need to know what you guys want. I have my own personal .txt document of everything I need to do after a DA installation, and that was the basis of my suggestion of a GUI wizard that takes care of all those things. But everybody has a different idea. @experttechit mentioned PHP versions, I never even thought of that.

Speaking of suggestions, what do you guys think of a features request/voting thing like CloudLinux has? We definitely need to get something like that onto our own site so the DA community can suggest/vote and give priority to features. The voting thing is super cool because we can't be spending massive dev time on a single request. But if the majority requests it, then that gives us way better direction.

So I'm open to requests on a features/voting system that seems appealing. We could always code our own too.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@DA_Mark said:
    @Harambe thanks for that. This is a feedback thread for a reason, we need to know what you guys want. I have my own personal .txt document of everything I need to do after a DA installation, and that was the basis of my suggestion of a GUI wizard that takes care of all those things. But everybody has a different idea. @experttechit mentioned PHP versions, I never even thought of that.

Speaking of suggestions, what do you guys think of a features request/voting thing like CloudLinux has? We definitely need to get something like that onto our own site so the DA community can suggest/vote and give priority to features. The voting thing is super cool because we can't be spending massive dev time on a single request. But if the majority requests it, then that gives us way better direction.

So I'm open to requests on a features/voting system that seems appealing. We could always code our own too.

A voting system would be wonderful. Check uservoice. I recall its pretty good.

• Thanks @MikePT, will check it out now. I guess it needs to be something like a discussion + voting system so a feature can be proposed/discussed but also voted on (to help quantify the demand a bit).

In the meantime LET is pretty awesome. Not only is there good suggestions, but it seems there is a unspoken culture of keeping responses short & to the point. Most threads on here read more like one-liners than essays.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • emreemre Member, LIR

DA_Mark said: I have my own personal .txt document of everything I need to do after a DA installation,

Share pls. Let's see and learn how Da_Mark sets up his own DA.

DA_Mark said: Most threads on here read more like one-liners than essays.

• @emre Nothing too fancy.. mostly SSL (TLS) everything including DA access by TLS only, LetsEncrypt enabling, setting up the brute-force monitor to automatically enforce/block hackers while stopping all those annoying messages, editing /etc/named.conf and having allow-transfer {"none";}; , changing the SSH+FTP port to something non-traditional, CSF firewall, etc.

Nothing special but why waste your time doing it? A wizard with a few checkboxes can do all this. Only thing I do outside of the realm of DA is create a swapfile if the VPS has very low RAM.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2019

A "crib sheet" at the bottom of the installation page on the website might be found useful, based on the above.
    You also might like to include the common processes used in DA and add them to the bottom of /etc/csf/csf.pignore - that would be a sweet bonus.

• @DA_Mark said:
    @Harambe thanks for that. This is a feedback thread for a reason, we need to know what you guys want. I have my own personal .txt document of everything I need to do after a DA installation, and that was the basis of my suggestion of a GUI wizard that takes care of all those things. But everybody has a different idea. @experttechit mentioned PHP versions, I never even thought of that.

Php selektor and jailed php (user can't see outside it's directory)

Thanked by 2Sofia_K MechanicWeb
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2019

DA_Mark said: I have to be totally honest here, it's even a personal frustration of mine, like when I install DA for a friend. The DA installation process may be a bit sluggish (compiling time) but it's pretty darn easy. That part doesn't bother me. Can always find something else do to while everything is compliling.

What takes most of my time is the things after DA is installed. Just getting everything configured/setup the way I want it, ready to go.

That's actually where command line scripting helps too if you can have a post initial install setup/config script that runs after initial install. It's what i do with my own Centmin Mod LEMP stack where all my post install configuration is automatically done during initial install - whole goal of automation for me is to reduce post-install optimisation/configuration time.

DA_Mark said: So I'm open to requests on a features/voting system that seems appealing. We could always code our own too.

definitely useful if you intend follow through on highest voted feature requests

DA_Mark said: will check it out now. I guess it needs to be something like a discussion + voting system so a feature can be proposed/discussed but also voted on (to help quantify the demand a bit).

Cloudflare's discourse forum's product feature request subforum has voted request feature https://community.cloudflare.com/c/feedback/prodreq not sure how it's setup as I don't use discourse from admin side. Example feature request https://community.cloudflare.com/t/add-argo-capped-billing-thresholds/75536

Thanked by 2DA_Mark sparek
  • @eva2000 said:

That's actually where command line scripting helps too if you can have a post initial install setup/config script that runs after initial install. It's what i do with my own Centmin Mod LEMP stack where all my post install configuration is automatically done during initial install - whole goal of automation for me is to reduce post-install optimisation/configuration time.

We already offer the ability to clone custom install configurations, so it's a great idea to have something like this in the "Wizards" feature too. Perhaps even the ability to import Wizard data during the install, so with one command you have a completely customized-to-your-needs DA install right out of the box.

DA_Mark said: So I'm open to requests on a features/voting system that seems appealing. We could always code our own too.

definitely useful if you intend follow through on highest voted feature requests

That's the whole point -- it gives us the incentive and ability to follow through. No being distracted by the latest suggestion, or the loudest user; if the community as a whole votes on a certain feature, we can begin development on it. We are incredible developers but I admit we work better on serial tasks (one at a time). So a voting system with priority would be a win-win situation.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • i just want to ask , is it possible to create a special package ( or user account ) with php disabled ? so user of this package can upload static website only, even if he/she upload php file it will not work ... if this is not possible in directadmin , does any one know other control panel that allow this ? user still have access to other features such as add domain, create ftp account etc but not allowed to upload and run php script.

• LeeLee Veteran

hardgamers said: is it possible to create a special package ( or user account ) with php disabled ?

When creating a package in DA there is an option to enable/disable PHP which will prevent PHP scripts being run if disabled.

@da_mark it would be nice if we could import a backup file of an existing configed server in DA to restore our config in the new server...

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

experttechit said: @da_mark it would be nice if we could import a backup file of an existing configed server in DA to restore our config in the new server...

You can already do that, move the options.conf file from an existing configured server and use it to set up a new one.

copy /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf to the new server then

From the custombuild directory

./build all d
    ./build rewrite_confs

I have to say that I am starting to get use to DirectAdmin.... I do find you have to click a lot more.... it would be great if there was a way to automatically apply let’s encrypt SSL to all accounts and maybe give you a list of the domains with OK/Fail

DA does seem pretty stable.... also I have found server usages are really low, even with lots of sites....

Also we use to have a plugin in cPanel that would show you which ip a domain points to (if it’s your server or not)

This would help cleanup servers from domains / sites not being used and also for troubleshooting. Saves going out of DA.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

experttechit said: it would be great if there was a way to automatically apply let’s encrypt SSL to all accounts and maybe give you a list of the domains with OK/Fail

You can kind of do that also, never actually tried it though. Make sure you have Letsencrypt installed.

cd /root
    wget -O autoletsencrypt.sh http://files.directadmin.com/services/all/letsencrypt/autoletsencrypt.sh
    chmod 755 autoletsencrypt.sh
    ./autoletsencrypt.sh

The only issue with that is that it will not auto-apply to new domains, you would need to run that again.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • Just tested out DA's new icon grid feature -- it's top notch stuff :p

Now, I shouldn't get greedy, but... cough SSO for phpMyAdmin and webmail please!

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint coreflux