Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 50
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• @DarkCarnage said:
    I'm gonna left NameCheap permanently, they're totally **shi. I was paid them for my dedicated server with cPanel/WHM license for a year. But they've allocated me 250 cPanel accounts only. When I was contacted with their hosting and billing department they denied.

They denied what exactly?

It's unlikely that the cPanel/WHM license was unlimited, but presumably, this info is somewhere in the contract.

• ^ One suspects something was lost in translation. :-|

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @angstrom said:

@DarkCarnage said:
    I'm gonna left NameCheap permanently, they're totally **shi. I was paid them for my dedicated server with cPanel/WHM license for a year. But they've allocated me 250 cPanel accounts only. When I was contacted with their hosting and billing department they denied.

It's unlikely that the cPanel/WHM license was unlimited, but presumably, this info is somewhere in the contract.

They've denied allowing me to create unlimited cPanel accounts. As per my check with a support agent of cPanel.net, with all yearly billed license will able to create unlimited cPanel accounts until their renewal comes. On the renewal they'll roll with the new cPanel pricing model (as per account policy).

• @DarkCarnage said:

@angstrom said:

@DarkCarnage said:

They've denied allowing me to create unlimited cPanel accounts. As per my check with a support agent of cPanel.net, with all yearly billed license will able to create unlimited cPanel accounts until their renewal comes. On the renewal they'll roll with the new cPanel pricing model (as per account policy).

Since you purchased a cPanel license from Namecheap (or the license was included as part of the offer that included your server), different conditions may apply.

Yeah, not so great, but the change in cPanel's pricing has disrupted many businesses.

• Just wait for the new SolusVM V2 pricing table. I would bet it would be like cPanel drama...

• And that's why I switched from cPanel (2008-2010) to Virtualmin (2010-2016) to barebone (2016+).

No panel = no fuss (until they decide to start charging for PHP...)

• @somik said:
    And that's why I switched from cPanel (2008-2010) to Virtualmin (2010-2016) to barebone (2016+).

No panel = no fuss (until they decide to start charging for PHP...)

Maybe Oracle will buy PHP too like they did java.

• They've denied allowing me to create unlimited cPanel accounts. As per my check with a support agent of cPanel.net, with all yearly billed license will able to create unlimited cPanel accounts until their renewal comes. On the renewal they'll roll with the new cPanel pricing model (as per account policy).

Yes, if you are on a 1/2/3 or 5 year license you should be able to create unlimited cPanel accounts until the next billing anniversary date regardless if you have bought the license from cPanel directly or from a reseller / noc partner.

The only issue here could be if you have bought the license from a reseller even though you have paid them yearly provider could have been paying for the license monthly to cPanel :(

• Well, cpanel just committed suicide and lost their monopoly. It is the worst decision a company has made since Google decided to be evil (and literally removed their "don't be evil' slogan) and Facebook forced the Timeline on everyone. Enron comes to mind. Then again, the people at cpanel have been total dicks for years.

• @lnx1002 said:
    Well, cpanel just committed suicide and lost their monopoly. It is the worst decision a company has made since Google decided to be evil (and literally removed their "don't be evil' slogan) and Facebook forced the Timeline on everyone. Enron comes to mind. Then again, the people at cpanel have been total dicks for years.

Congratulations on your first comment.

Thanked by 3angstrom lazyt Ympker
  • lnx1002lnx1002 Member
    edited December 2019

@seriesn said:

Congratulations on your first comment.

Thank you. cPanel has forced me to branch out.

• This pricing is too expensive, I have purchased two DA licenses, although his functionality is not as good as cpanel

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

seriesn said: it is not about the features, but the simplicity.

That's a personal choice.

But from the popularity cPanel gained, it seems that version of simplicity is not the choice of most people. To be able to reach the heights cPanel reached, any other panel has to honor the mindset of the majority.

It might worth to note that DA only gained traction due to cPanel's price hike, not because of something they did, at least that's what it looks like. If they are in deed unique, they need to reveal what they are unique about.

Like it or not, in the age of AI, days of black and white terminal are gone. Hopefully for good.

Now people want to be WordPress Developers, not Full Stack Developers. Same with the server management expertise. People want to spend less time in learning and managing a server.

EdgeNat said: This pricing is too expensive, I have purchased two DA licenses, although his functionality is not as good as cpanel

Have a look at ApisCP, too. It has built in features to filter outbound spam, and similar features to CloudLinux's CageFS and LVE Manager.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

MechanicWeb said: It might worth to note that DA only gained traction due to cPanel's price hike, not because of something they did, at least that's what it looks like. If they are in deed unique, they need to reveal what they are unique about.

Its usually pretty hard to take out an incumbent if they aren't making missteps that people disagree with. Prior to this what was your complaints about cPanel?

Francisco

Francisco said: Prior to this what was your complaints about cPanel?

Outbound spam.

You might not remeber, but I was actively looking for an alternative control panel before the price hike, landed on another not so good control panel, then cPanel planted their bomb.

I have provided an alternative, ApisCP. Have a look.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

nem said: That’s me!

You are nem?

edited December 2019

HI @Francisco,

I came back to clarify my reply to you as I realized the way I replied could easily be misinterpreted and I should have been more clear in choosing my words.

What I am seeking is for DA to stand up. They are not probably doing to the best of their ability, at least from here that's what it looks like. After the Evolution skin, seemingly there hasn't been any peek in their development. I also started providing DA based hosting along with cPanel based hosting. So, it is in my interest, too if they become better.

And that is related to DA entirely, not you. I praise you for what you have done to the community. You were among the firsts to offer DA based hosting and the first to offer Blesta for free when cPanel made pretty much every one's life miserable. I didn't forget that and hope that the community doesn't, too.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:

nem said: That’s me!

You are nem?

Wouldn’t see why not.

MechanicWeb said: I came back to clarify my reply to you as I realized the way I replied could easily be misinterpreted and I should have been more clear in choosing my words.

Not at all boss.

Though, outbound spam isn't something that cPanel handles well either.

DirectAdmin does have the 'banned path' function so you can say, stop emails from being sent from any folder named wp-content or things like that.

DA has a lot of functionality, they're just lacking UI interfaces for all of it.

Francisco

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

The user interface is pretty easy to use in DA, but it's the admin side of things.

Now cpanel has been sold on to cvc we will see what happens. I got my Blesta license ready for when WHMCS goes downhill :(

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @Francisco said:

MechanicWeb said: I came back to clarify my reply to you as I realized the way I replied could easily be misinterpreted and I should have been more clear in choosing my words.

Not at all boss.

Though, outbound spam isn't something that cPanel handles well either.

DirectAdmin does have the 'banned path' function so you can say, stop emails from being sent from any folder named wp-content or things like that.

DA has a lot of functionality, they're just lacking UI interfaces for all of it.

Francisco

I would love to get a checklist of all the configuration options for the config file. Instead of going through all of their release notes or updating my own notes.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • There is no cpanel equivalent to DA $24/year ?

• @timelapse said:
    There is no cpanel equivalent to DA $24/year ?

Yes, a cPanel shared hosting account.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

To be hones cPanel isn’t badly priced through OVH and other DataCenter’s.

• What are some great alternatives to cPanel that are either free or lowcost?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@bsdfire said:
    What are some great alternatives to cPanel that are either free or lowcost?

You can get a DA license for $5 or free a month with some hosting companies.

Thanked by 1Francisco

There is a cPanel Solo license valid for one account. Official price is $15/m. Internal prices should be much lower, around $8.

Anyone seen any provider offering Solo?

@MechanicWeb said:
    There is a cPanel Solo license valid for one account. Official price is $15/m. Internal prices should be much lower, around $8.

Anyone seen any provider offering Solo?

You're not allowed to sell it, only bake it in.

So you'd be finding providers that are marked up by $8.

Francisco