Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 47
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• @INTRIGG said:

This is only going to effect hosts that offered multi level resellers and over-sold servers. All of our accounts have been structured in a way to prevent this from effecting out margins. We will continue to offer cPanel shared hosting at the same great costs. Other big companies I'm sure have factored in situations like this. It's all about planning and cost structuring.

I don't agree with this price change as much as the rest of you, yes it will hurt companies with high overhead but end of the day servers are cheaper then ever now.

If you do not offer alternative next time cPanel says jump your only choice will be to say How high to jump

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

as much as I agree the price increase is a bit of a scam....

You usually find when one increases prices the others follow....

It will become a standard and people will factor in the pricing...

Hosts fill up servers with cheap pricing hosting and websites give poor performance, at the end of the day your website is your 'shop front' and should be hosted with good quality services.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@INTRIGG said:
    This is only going to effect hosts that offered multi level resellers and over-sold servers. All of our accounts have been structured in a way to prevent this from effecting out margins. We will continue to offer cPanel shared hosting at the same great costs. Other big companies I'm sure have factored in situations like this. It's all about planning and cost structuring.

I don't agree with this price change as much as the rest of you, yes it will hurt companies with high overhead but end of the day servers are cheaper then ever now.

Congrats on your first comment.

Thanked by 1INTRIGG
  • @experttechit said:
    as much as I agree the price increase is a bit of a scam....

You usually find when one increases prices the others follow....

It will become a standard and people will factor in the pricing...

Hosts fill up servers with cheap pricing hosting and websites give poor performance, at the end of the day your website is your 'shop front' and should be hosted with good quality services.

Well even in such case I can argue that if you make profit X from cPanel server, than you can make profit X from DA server with even less customers on it offering even grater service to your customers than cPanel ones :)

I agree.... But DA is a bit of a learning curve and currently has less support for 3rd party plugins.

• @experttechit said:
    I agree.... But DA is a bit of a learning curve and currently has less support for 3rd party plugins.

But that’s all cPanel is now. A premium priced product without the premium features that need to be paid for to a 3rd Party.

• @coolice said:
    @INTRIGG said:

If you do not offer alternative next time cPanel says jump your only choice will be to say How high to jump

Yes but again this is something that you need to think about when designing your pricing model. For instance, on a server that you know you can fit 100+ accounts, you need to look at every factor. You have your base cost that will contribute to your server costs, then you have your licensing costs which will cover any server licensing, then you have your company overhead to think about. If you are selling accounts from $0.50 - $2.00 then you dug yourself your own grave because no business out there can survive on that. For a server that has 100+ accounts would cost less than $0.50 per account to cover the Cpanel license.

It only takes 1 provider to take the plunge then all of the rest will soon follow, they are the frontline in the hosting industry and every customer wants them. I would assume that others will follow by early next year and so on.

@angstrom said:

@INTRIGG said:

Congrats on your first comment.

Thanks, always watched and read. Definitely will not be the last :)

• why buycpanel stopped license in old term, as far as i know, it should update on 1st september, as price will be effective from 1st sept, why today?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@Dilstar said:
    why buycpanel stopped license in old term, as far as i know, it should update on 1st september, as price will be effective from 1st sept, why today?

Maybe they don't work on Sept 1st. Here is an holiday.

• @Dilstar said:
    why buycpanel stopped license in old term, as far as i know, it should update on 1st september, as price will be effective from 1st sept, why today?

already updated on buycpanel.

• Guess what, my client pay me 40$ quarterly for just provide them a vps with cpanel exclude vps and cpanel price. now they dont want to pay extra 45$ quarterly for cpanel new pricing. my 40$ without working is on stake :smiley:

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

With the price change now taken full affect our price increase for cPanel was just over 400%. Now looking to signup to cPanels Partner program as it will work out cheaper than BuycPanel who still haven't got a custom pricing plan. We did a major migration of a lot of services to DirectAdmin and had some great feedback from customers saying their preferred it and it is easier to understand for the non-techies out there.

Hoping DirectAdmin takes full advantage of this situation - could make them a lot of $$$!

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • SoftShellWebSoftShellWeb Member, Patron Provider

DirectAdmin is a solid alternative to cPanel, there is no doubt about that. It also seems to outperform cPanel in terms of speed, the loading times of websites are quicker and its pretty simple to use. Majority of the features which are available on cPanel can be found in DirectAdmin, therefore it shouldn't limit cPanel users that decided to make the switch.

• sandykrissandykris Member
    edited September 2019

new prices have been implemented. :neutral:

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

No doubt, cPanel will loose some market share. But the key is how long will it take? Most people are still reluctant to switch and though they have a grudge, accepting cPanel's new price. Very few are adopting new panels. The number is not yet significant. Once a new panel rises and prooves to be stable, user friendly and feature rich, more and more people will start using that.

Until that happens, like it or not, cPanel is still the king.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:
    No doubt, cPanel will loose some market share. But the key is how long will it take? Most people are still reluctant to switch and though they have a grudge, accepting cPanel's new price. Very few are adopting new panels. The number is not yet significant. Once a new panel rises and prooves to be stable, user friendly and feature rich, more and more people will start using that.

Until that happens, like it or not, cPanel is still the king.

I 100% agree.
    For providers who have customers on CPanel they can't just change them over and risk loosing the revenue. The pricing change doesn't affect the customer, it is something the provider has to "deal with". Which may result in a slowly sinking ship if the provider doesn't change their pricing.

But on the other hand, with providers jumping ship, doesn't that create a more niche market for those providers still using cpanel? Win for them, right?

Or is it a trust thing? I keep hearing providers/customers don't "trust" cpanel anymore. But what exactly does that mean??? Now they have shown their cards, who knows what pricing/feature value may change? Is that where the trust is lost?

I am unsure how, if any, this cpanel debacle will affect the hosting industry? The only major change is the very low/cheap hosting providers playing an end game or raising their prices. At a minimum, I see customers and perhaps providers, being more open minded to other control panels. How deep that openness would run also has yet to materialize, so that may just be wishful thinking perhaps...?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

Buycpanel sold to cPanel (as expected, I guess)

I am writing to you today with some important and exciting news about BuycPanel. After careful consideration by our management team, we have accepted an offer to be acquired by cPanel, the industry-leading hosting automation platform. All of us at BuycPanel are excited about this opportunity, especially the extra services, products, and opportunity this makes available to our customers.

As we evaluated our options to continue to grow our company, we determined the best path forward was to join an organization that is customer-centric, has more resources to propel us forward and that will continue to execute on our vision of great service and customer dedication.

We have worked very closely with cPanel for over a decade, and we could not have found a better partner to continue our mission. The cPanel team has been very gracious as we discussed our options and we are looking forward to what the future holds for BuycPanel.

Our commitment to customers is stronger than ever. There is no action required from you at this time. Please continue to use our customer portal for new orders, payments and to contact members of our team. You can still expect 24/7/365 support, and friendly welcoming staff to be available when you need us.

As we work through our integration with cPanel, we will provide updates to you. We deeply value the trust that you have put in BuycPanel over the years and we thank you for your continued support and business.

Sincerely,

The BuycPanel Team
    http://www.BuycPanel.com

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider you are fast! I'm just 1 min late. Looks like competition is gone now

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • LeonDynamicLeonDynamic Member
    edited September 2019

Just hope they don't change all my pricing on my CloudLinux, KernelCare, Imunify, etc licences now they have been taken over.

Can anyone recommend other good licence providers?

• HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2019

@LeonDynamic these addons are just part of CPanel family. No matter where you go they will haunt you!

• @Waqass said:
    @LeonDynamic these addons are just part of CPanel family. No matter where you go they will haunt you!

CloudLinux is $11.95/m at BuycPanel and $16/m at cPanel.

• the buyout move is to remove buycpanel from the market and buy licenses directly from cPanel.net

ez game, gg

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@AndreiGhesi said:
    the buyout move is to remove buycpanel from the market and buy licenses directly from cPanel.net

ez game, gg

They were obliterated already following them being forced to charge the same as cPanel fro external Customers. I’d say the business got a hit and cPanel bought them either to avoid bad publicity or to avoid a lawsuit.

I was looking to buy 1 cpanel license from them next month, but may go to our datacentre. I hope they don't change our cl and kc licenses

• @Clouvider said:
    Buycpanel sold to cPanel (as expected, I guess)

Step 1 - announce new pricing strategy that basically eliminates a businesses' market.

Step 2 - acquire that business.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

donli said: Step 1 - announce new pricing strategy that basically eliminates a businesses' market.

Step 2 - acquire that business.

It's Apple 5G all over again.

Francisco

• trusty33trusty33 Member
    edited September 2019

it is a shame if a mere control panel cost more in recurring costs than renting physical server :-(

Here are ways to reduce cpanel accounts:
    cpanel to addon domain: https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/convert-an-cpanel-account-to-addon-domain.633413/
    combine multiple cpanels: https://forums.cpanel.net/resources/how-to-manually-combine-two-cpanel-accounts-into-one.635/

cpanel alternatives:
    https://alternativeto.net/software/cpanel/
    is it missing any good alternatives? Can you suggest?

• trusty33trusty33 Member
    edited September 2019

btw. guys, to which control panel you are migrating or going to migrate likely? I need something under $15 monthly for 50-100 hosting accounts, prefferably with WHMCS billing module. Any good tool to migrate cpanels to this new panel? Some of mine having many subdomains and databases in one cpanel and it can be alot of work.

• @trusty33 said:
    btw. guys, to which control panel you are migrating or going to migrate likely? I need something under $15 monthly for 50-100 hosting accounts, prefferably with WHMCS billing module. Any good tool to migrate cpanels to this new panel? Some of mine having many subdomains and databases in one cpanel and it can be alot of work.

Most low end hosts seem to be moving to Direct Admin but at a little higher than your $15/month.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@trusty33 said:

Buy a reseller off us for $7.00/month if you'll fit inside 125GB storage.

We even give free Blesta.

Francisco