Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 49
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

MechanicWeb said: But now it's easier to spot such summer hosts.

>

Yep.

If it's a reseller and it's posted on lowendbox.com? Run away.

Francisco

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @Francisco said:

MechanicWeb said: But now it's easier to spot such summer hosts.

>

Yep.

If it's a reseller and it's posted on lowendbox.com? Run away.

Francisco

https://lowendbox.com/blog/shared-and-reseller-hosting-special-part-2/

;)

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint lazyt
  • It really ball ache...

• @FloydStan said:
    It really ball ache...

You're suddenly trying to raise your post count quickly

Thanked by 2ITLabs Ympker
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:
    Depending on how tight your tinfoil is there's rumors, and growing proof, that they may have bought Softaculous.

BuyCpanel cancelled all external licensing except Litespeed, Softaculous, and Cloudlinux.

Francisco

If that rumor is true, then it will have consequences on the virtualisation market.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

is there much point in running anymore? just stick to cpanel and pass the cost on?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited October 2019

@experttechit said:
    is there much point in running anymore? just stick to cpanel and pass the cost on?

It's capitalism - large corporations (and investment funds) will run everything.

For control panels, open source is the only "safe" option, if enough solidarity and community support is invested. Otherwise, corporations will have their share. Since customers won't be too happy paying a lot more, part of the costs will be covered from the hosting providers' (now reduced) profit.

Of course, it's easier when people are united. I can imagine hosting providers union that would sponsor open source development of the tools needed for the job. But don't think it's realistic expecting that to happen - ever.

To quote myself:
    " MyVestaCP looks promising, but it is still a one man show, with little community support and still lacking as a “serious” reseller hosting solution – with all due respect for the expertise, thoroughness, professionalism and hard work of Mister Predrag Damjanović."

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@bikegremlin said:
    For control panels, open source is the only "safe" option, if enough solidarity and community support is invested. Otherwise, corporations will have their share. Since customers won't be too happy paying a lot more, part of the costs will be covered from the hosting providers' (now reduced) profit.

Of course, it's easier when people are united. I can imagine hosting providers union that would sponsor open source development of the tools needed for the job. But don't think it's realistic expecting that to happen - ever.

Hosting is too commoditized for that to ever happen. Look at how many hosting providers were affected by the cPanel price hike because they predicated their business on cPanel and in its frailty, 4-8+ accessory licenses, for it to work. Providers looked and talked the same depressing pricing for everyone in this industry. Everyone won except the hosting providers who acquiesced in some strange embodiment of Stockholm Syndrome.

If there were an open-source consortium, the moment the panel gains traction expect a splinter group to fork the project off and put it under the portfolio of a large company thus leaving the project to die out with lack of developer interest. To put things in perspective, look at the strategic acquisition of Interworx/Nexcess by LiquidWeb. In this industry any competitive advantage you can achieve is huge. I put myself through school building apnscp as a shared hosting provider and letting the platform market itself.

• Quadranet released new pricing

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @nem said:

@bikegremlin said:

Hosting is too commoditized for that to ever happen. Look at how many hosting providers were affected by the cPanel price hike because they predicated their business on cPanel and in its frailty, 4-8+ accessory licenses, for it to work. Providers looked and talked the same depressing pricing for everyone in this industry. Everyone won except the hosting providers who acquiesced in some strange embodiment of Stockholm Syndrome.

If there were an open-source consortium, the moment the panel gains traction expect a splinter group to fork the project off and put it under the portfolio of a large company thus leaving the project to die out with lack of developer interest. To put things in perspective, look at the strategic acquisition of Interworx/Nexcess by LiquidWeb. In this industry any competitive advantage you can achieve is huge. I put myself through school building apnscp as a shared hosting provider and letting the platform market itself.

Linux, Apache and MySQL seem to "survive" for decades.
    I'd be more than happy to fear a commercial fork of a community supported/funded open source solution, because that would mean it was created in the first place. Which is not something I expect to happen.

• SkyNetHostingSkyNetHosting Member
    edited October 2019

@Sofia_K said:

AndreiGhesi said: the buyout move is to remove buycpanel from the market and buy licenses directly from cPanel.net

Why did they buy Buycpanel? Anyhow after cpanel price increase and no special discounts offered to Buycpanel or similar license resellers, no web host/individual will go to buycpanel to get their cpanel licenses and will directly go to cpanel.net, so anyhow Buycpanel was doomed! Cpanel would have just ignored it instead of spending money to buy it as BuyCpanel's customers would eventually shift to cpanel.net

As someone already pointed out they sold it to cPanel to avoid a lawsuit ? , I know some other companies that had cPanel name on their domains was asked by cPanel to hand over the domains to them.

@bikegremlin said:
    Linux, Apache and MySQL seem to "survive" for decades.

This is a micro/macro distinction. You build value atop these products; they're just one piece of a stack.

A good hosting platform sells itself as it's all that is necessary for a hosting outfit to operate. It should take care of security patches, webapp updates, threat deterrence, provide tools for easy remediation, keep its outbound mail clean, throttle resources, tune itself dynamically, etc. Ideally a good platform is set-it-and-forget-it, a Ron Popeil rotisserie server if you will. A good platform should have killed these requisite third-parties eons ago. cPanel was never a good embodiment of these virtues.

What more would a company want if their platform worked exceedingly well? Money's rolling in, clients are happy. Call it a day. You can build a business on a panel. You can't build a business on the presence of a HTTP server or database server, or Linux. You can augment the software by building on top of it to create value but by itself it has little value.

Think about it this way, if there were a market for an open-source control panel that rivaled cPanel, which isn't a feat an architectural feat to accomplish, wouldn't we have one by now? All free alternatives are lackluster because of the expertise required to coordinate connectivity between a variety of disparate services and, too, make sure they're connected properly.

Thanked by 1MechanicWeb

Personally I think cPanel was so widely used and affordable for ‘VPS’ servers it was kind of pointless trying to compete...

Now they have increased the pricing and lost the trust, I think more people will be open to new panels, especially as you will see more providers using different panels.

A lot will now come down to infrastructure / customer support and extra features.

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • @experttechit said:
    Personally I think cPanel was so widely used and affordable for ‘VPS’ servers it was kind of pointless trying to compete...

Now they have increased the pricing and lost the trust, I think more people will be open to new panels, especially as you will see more providers using different panels.

A lot will now come down to infrastructure / customer support and extra features.

Ture and if there was any good competition for cPanel they would have never increased the price in the first place, yet because there is no other panel that can match cPanel they can do whatever they want until they get good competition.

• @SkyNetHosting said:

@experttechit said:

Ture and if there was any good competition for cPanel they would have never increased the price in the first place, yet because there is no other panel that can match cPanel they can do whatever they want until they get good competition.

I chose DA before DA was cool. Sometimes, it is not about the features, but the simplicity. I don’t have to click on 100 different settings during a basic setup. Simple UI, gives me and my users all they need.

As much people wish DA or other panels to behave and look like CPanel, I for one believe that they should have their own uniqueness. You really don’t need an icon and button for everything.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @seriesn said:
    Sometimes, it is not about the features, but the simplicity.

Exactly this.

How many of your clients actually used all the features on a standard cPanel Dashboard. How many who use reseller accounts use all the features of cPanel/WHM. My guess not many. It’s bloated.

Thanked by 1seriesn

DA is fine for endusers, It's the admins that it's a pain for.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • experttechit said: It's the admins that it's a pain for.

I mean, for an Admin, admin shouldn't really rely on a bunch of icons to do what is needed. Gone were the days where one would rent a vps from burstnet, install cpanel and whmcs and played hostinabox game during their summer vacation.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2019

^ Just no. I've got much better things to do. Much like following so-called perfect server guide to ISPconfig installation, rather than running install.sh and doing some hostname dependant tweaks, once installed.

• @experttechit said:
    DA is fine for endusers, It's the admins that it's a pain for.

Yes its ok for the end user however for admins and resellers its missing a lot of features. It could take years for DA to complete with cPanel at that level, especially their reseller panel. Also there are no master reseller plugins for DA at the moment so master reseller clients are still stuck with cPanel.

• LeonDynamicLeonDynamic Member
    edited October 2019

@SkyNetHosting said:
    Yes its ok for the end user however for admins and resellers its missing a lot of features. It could take years for DA to complete with cPanel at that level, especially their reseller panel. Also there are no master reseller plugins for DA at the moment so master reseller clients are still stuck with cPanel.

What features do you think it’s missing? I would encourage you to post in the DA feedback thread so the team can work on it, if it’s viable.

cPanel doesn’t support Master Reseller natively. You need to buy lots of different plugins/licences to add functionality to cPanel. The plugin developers support cPanel because it was so widely used but as DA gains market share, the developers will adapt to the market and enable their plugins for DA.

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A uptime
  • @jetchirag said:
    Quadranet released new pricing

This pricing is actually quite acceptable

• illyhostingillyhosting Member, Host Rep

@georgedatacenter said:
    Is that a message from cpanel?

Lol, i> @hostseba said:

Please reply my comment. Is that a message from cpanel?

They would reverse the prices till now with all these nagative comments.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • cPanel could change to $1/year licensing and I still wouldn't go back. Even their staff are leaving.

Well, when she joined cPanel she was completely right, and nothing's changed.

cPanel is just as guilty of not encouraging productive feedback as any other company. As our development has improved over the last ten years, and our customer base has grown, we have slowly created a disconnect between what we are creating and what our customers actually want. Our customers have seen it as well, but we want to change that. It starts today.

Thanked by 3ITLabs level6 Shazan
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Mic-hael said:
    cPanel could change to $1/year licensing and I still wouldn't go back. Even their staff are leaving.

Well, when she joined cPanel she was completely right, and nothing's changed.

cPanel is just as guilty of not encouraging productive feedback as any other company. As our development has improved over the last ten years, and our customer base has grown, we have slowly created a disconnect between what we are creating and what our customers actually want. Our customers have seen it as well, but we want to change that. It starts today.

It was just a matter of time. Spoke to her a few times, she is an awesome person to speak with.

cPanel will eventually fall down. My gut tells me that it wont take much longer... 5 years maybe.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Even though I am not a provider nor a reseller (and never plan to be) I've been playing around with a Buyshared reseller DA account - just for my own knowledge for awhile now.

Although DA is not as slick nor complete as CP, it is certainly functional and usable for most use cases.

Rack911 audit summary has been released.

• @level6 said:

@myvpshostorg said:
    Many hosting companies got hurt because of this. Since September 01, everyone is looking for a suitable hosting panel. This much price hike was never expected from any user, I guess. It has turn out as a nightmare for shared hosting providers.

Many of them are paying the increased price as people find really easy to manage their hosting needs.

That's the best you can think if for your SEO spamming?

Thank you for letting me know this and your not asked suggestion.

This has got to be one of the good lines from the security audit:

'We would strongly recommend users avoid CentOS Web Panel and VestaCP. The developers are terrible at communicating and it’s our opinion that their programming experience has no security mindset in place which would likely lead to further security vulnerabilities in the future.'

• I'm gonna left NameCheap permanently, they're totally **shi. I was paid them for my dedicated server with cPanel/WHM license for a year. But they've allocated me 250 cPanel accounts only. When I was contacted with their hosting and billing department they denied.