Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 dedicated cores, 10 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD, 2TB@1 Gbit/s for 6€/month - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2 dedicated cores, 10 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD, 2TB@1 Gbit/s for 6€/month

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@neph said: I'm interested too, but your site isn't in English (german only)? The interface to manage the VPS is in English?

Well, the control panel is SolusVM, so that can be set for English.

However, their web site and their client panel (for tickets, bills, etc.) are in German (but you can submit tickets in English).

• Well, looks like they have received lots of order or they setup the server manually, since I am waiting for mine to be delivered...

• cececece Member

the support is awesome. I have phoned them with my chingish accent at midnight (GMT +1). they handled my ticket really fast .

Thanked by 2Ympker dataforest
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2019

@cece said:
    the support is awesome. I have phoned them with my chingish accent at midnight (GMT +1). they handled my ticket really fast .

What really happened:

client: Hello. Can you help me with..

support: Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

On a serious note PHPfriends have quite the reputation for having good support in the german community.

Thanked by 1dataforest
  • dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

@lurch said:
    Just ordered, can I order another and double the resources?

Please open a ticket, no need to order another server for this kind of upgrade :)

@all: Now this offer is really sold out :) Thanks for the great feedback!

Best Regards,
    Tim

• lurchlurch Member

@PHP_Friends said:

@lurch said:

Please open a ticket, no need to order another server for this kind of upgrade :)

Best Regards,
    Tim

Excellent many thanks done a ticket.

Thanked by 1dataforest
  • @PHP_Friends said:

@lurch said:

Best Regards,
    Tim

Now I regret not getting one :disappointed:

• dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

Sorry :( But there will be new nice offers :)

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@cybertech said:

There is a quote in Chinese that goes: "得不到的东西永远都是最好的"

It is hard to translate in English, but the basic idea is "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"

Thanked by 4cybertech Ympker samm eol
  • @FAT32 said:

@cybertech said:

There is a quote in Chinese that goes: "得不到的东西永远都是最好的"

It is hard to translate in English, but the basic idea is "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"

basically it means the opposite of "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush", i.e. what you are unable to get is worth more than that you have

Thanked by 1FAT32

@poisson said:
    basically it means the opposite of "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush", i.e. what you are unable to get is worth more than that you have

Thanks, I believe the translation is good enough but not as elegant as in Chinese.

• @FAT32 said:

@poisson said:

Thanks, I believe the translation is good enough but not as elegant as in Chinese.

XIYAN SHITWEASEL

Thanked by 2FAT32 eol
  • @FAT32 said:

@poisson said:

If it is able to be translated retaining its full meaning in the original meaning, it is not valuable at all.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • cececece Member

得不到的永远在骚动,被偏爱的却有恃无恐

• @cece said:
    得不到的永远在骚动,被偏爱的却有恃无恐

Please use english

Thanked by 1eol
  • cececece Member

@sanvit said:

@cece said:
    得不到的永远在骚动,被偏爱的却有恃无恐

Please use english

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"1

Thanked by 1sanvit
    edited March 2019

@cece said:
    得不到的永远在骚动,被偏爱的却有恃无恐

Please provide a translation next time.

This is a lyric from the song named "红玫瑰" (Red Rose), which shows the true colors of us as human beings.

The translation is roughly: "The things we can't have are the ones we want the most, but the things we already have are not being cherished."

This leads to the similar meaning to "The grass is always greener on the other side", which shows that human is greedy.

It is quite meaningful but we always make the same mistake.

@FAT32 said: This leads to the similar meaning to "The grass is always greener on the other side", which shows that human is greedy.

Sometimes, though, it really is possible to miss a good VPS offer and to have regrets for a good reason. :smile:

Thanked by 1FAT32

@angstrom said:
    Sometimes, though, it really is possible to miss a good VPS offer and to have regrets for a good reason. :smile:

I agree with this, but sometimes I ask myself, with the amount of money being spent on idling machines, I can pay for the same thing at regular price.

For example, the VPS is $2/m, which I idle for 3 months = $6 wasted.

The regular price is $3/m, although it is $1 more expensive, I am paying the same amount for 6 months.

• @FAT32 said:

@angstrom said:

I agree with this, but sometimes I ask myself, with the amount of money being spent on idling machines, I can pay for the same thing at regular price.

The regular price is $3/m, although it is $1 more expensive, I am paying the same amount for 6 months.

That is, if you use it. But VMs are made to be idled, not used. Even 5year-olds knows that!

Thanked by 3FAT32 poisson cybertech

@FAT32 said:

@angstrom said:

Yeah, I guess that there are two (related) issues: (i) VPS addiction and (ii) the feeling of regret after having missed a good VPS offer.

Most of us suffer from (i), which often leads to (ii).

My little point was merely that one could experience (ii) (for a good reason) in the absence of (i).

(But, yeah, most of us suffer from (i) as well!)

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @angstrom said:
    Yeah, I guess that there are two (related) issues: (i) VPS addiction and (ii) the feeling of regret after having missed a good VPS offer.

Most of us suffer from (i), which often leads to (ii).

My little point was merely that one could experience (ii) (for a good reason) in the absence of (i).

(But, yeah, most of us suffer from (i) as well!)

My view is that it depends on what your main work machine is. At least for me now, a used business class laptop is plenty of power. I just got one for USD200 (Lenovo 8GB RAM i5-4200U 12.5-inch touch screen). I could have dropped 1k USD for a new and much better machine but it will be underutilised for the most part, but if I use the 800USD difference on servers, that's a lot of many different servers to try, I am happy, the providers here are happy, the environment is happy (recycling used laptop and utilising existing machines already paid for by providers). So, I don't think I am suffering from VPS addiction; I am merely indulging in a very respectable hobby.

• dynwebdynweb Member
    edited March 2019

— please ignore —

Thanked by 1eol
  • @dynweb said:
    J

OK.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @poisson said:
    VPS addiction
    very respectable hobby.

• lurchlurch Member
    edited March 2019

For those with vnc issues I was able to connect from a windows machine using TightVNC

Just curious: those of you who purchased this service, did you set up a swap partition, and if so, with how much swap space, and why?

Initially, I set up a swap partition of 128 MB, but over the weekend, I decided to remove it because I feel that it's very unlikely that I would ever need it, and I wanted to be able to maximize the use of the disk space.

• Ya never know when you'll need 10.01GB after all.

Thanked by 2t0m poisson

@Letzien said:
    Ya never know when you'll need 10.01GB after all.

Or, for that matter, 10.02 GB.

NetBSD initially complained about the lack of a swap partition, so I had to tell him/her to be quiet.

• @angstrom said:

@Letzien said:
    Ya never know when you'll need 10.01GB after all.

Or, for that matter, 10.02 GB.

NetBSD initially complained about the lack of a swap partition, so I had to tell him/her to be quiet.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wd0c bs=128M && reboot