Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 dedicated cores, 10 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD, 2TB@1 Gbit/s for 6€/month - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2 dedicated cores, 10 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD, 2TB@1 Gbit/s for 6€/month

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Letzien said:

@angstrom said:

@Letzien said:
    Ya never know when you'll need 10.01GB after all.

Or, for that matter, 10.02 GB.

NetBSD initially complained about the lack of a swap partition, so I had to tell him/her to be quiet.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wd0c bs=128M && reboot

I see what you suggested there. Right. :smiley:

• That'll shut it right up.

@Letzien said:
    That'll shut it right up.

It was the first time that I had tried NetBSD without a swap partition, and by default NetBSD really wanted to see a partition /dev/wd0b, even with no corresponding line in /etc/fstab. Kind of surprised me at first, but then I found a workaround (not yours!).

• Can NetBSD even address 10GB of RAM?

Thanked by 1angstrom

@Letzien said:
    Can NetBSD even address 10GB of RAM?

Since December 9, 2004. :smile:

(Okay, Linux was quicker in this respect.)

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • @angstrom said:

Initially, I set up a swap partition of 128 MB, but over the weekend, I decided to remove it because I feel that it's very unlikely that I would ever need it, and I wanted to be able to maximize the use of the disk space.

From what I've been reading , It's not a bad idea to have such a tiny swap for compatibility reasons. I use 256.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@vimalware said:

@angstrom said:

Initially, I set up a swap partition of 128 MB, but over the weekend, I decided to remove it because I feel that it's very unlikely that I would ever need it, and I wanted to be able to maximize the use of the disk space.

From what I've been reading , It's not a bad idea to have such a tiny swap for compatibility reasons. I use 256.

This was also my initial inclination (but with 128 MB), but I'm not sure that compatibility reasons are still a valid justification (though this may depend on the system and what is meant by "compatibility").

My reasoning is that with 10 GB RAM and 40 GB disk space, disk space is a relatively scarce resource compared to RAM, so why sacrifice even a little of it to swap space if the swap is unlikely to be used? (At least in my case for this server, given that I'm not running a lot of heavy applications all at once.)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited March 2019

128MB with vm.swappiness = 1 sounds about right, in my book. ;)
    Create a swapfile, if not a partition and allow *nix to do its' memory management.
    The lack of disc space prevented me buying this one - phew! One less idler.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Maybe I'll throw NetBSD on that VirMach 10GB/10GB box. I can't think of anything else to do with it other than use it as the worlds' possibly slowest external memcache. I know they've got OpenBSD and FreeBSD ISOs, not sure about NetBSD.

• hjlowhjlow Member

could someone tell me what the results are of "sysbench --test=cpu run" on this?

• Does any one know how much it costs for extra Storage?

• @Ympker said:

@MikePT said:
    Is it possible to add more SSD space?

Awesome offer btw!

Yes. Check out their help desk/faq for prices for resource upgrades:

https://php-friends.de/hilfe

E.g. additional 3€/mo for 25GB SSD upgrade

@MikeIn

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • @hjlow

[root@** ~]# sysbench --test=cpu run
    WARNING: the --test option is deprecated. You can pass a script name or path on the command line without any options.
    sysbench 1.0.9 (using system LuaJIT 2.0.4)

Running the test with following options:
    Number of threads: 1
    Initializing random number generator from current time

Prime numbers limit: 10000

Initializing worker threads...

Threads started!

CPU speed:
    events per second: 660.82

General statistics:
    total time: 10.0017s
    total number of events: 6611

Latency (ms):
    min: 1.41
    avg: 1.51
    max: 11.48
    95th percentile: 1.76
    sum: 9982.10

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev): 6611.0000/0.00
    execution time (avg/stddev): 9.9821/0.00

Thanked by 1hjlow
  • @angstrom said:
    My reasoning is that with 10 GB RAM and 40 GB disk space, disk space is a relatively scarce resource compared to RAM, so why sacrifice even a little of it to swap space if the swap is unlikely to be used? (At least in my case for this server, given that I'm not running a lot of heavy applications all at once.)

Yes, this was what I used to believe as well. But swappiness =0 no longer behaves as the manual says in the last few Ubuntu LTS kernels. YMMV.
    So, I'd use a 128M swap and swappiness =1 (which oddly somehow behaves better than 0)

There were quite a few writeups about this phenomenon in the tech blogosphere.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Ubuntu breaks a lot of shit. Mostly Debian.

• I don't recall if this was a change in mainline or canonical TBF

If I recall well, the new installer introduced in Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS (and used in the standard installation ISO) doesn't offer one the opportunity to configure a swap partition (but it can use an existing swap partition). (!)

My personal recommendation is to install Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS using the special installation ISO that uses the installer from Debian, which allows for all of the standard options.

@Letzien said:
    Maybe I'll throw NetBSD on that VirMach 10GB/10GB box. I can't think of anything else to do with it other than use it as the worlds' possibly slowest external memcache. I know they've got OpenBSD and FreeBSD ISOs, not sure about NetBSD.

Oh, you managed to get one of those unusual VirMach boxes. :smile:

If you need any help with NetBSD, let me know, but I think that you know what you're doing. :smile: Any of the BSDs would also be a good choice for that VPS. You could be brave and try MidnightBSD. (On the other hand, TrueOS would probably be overkill.)

• lemonlemon Member

if only it were hdd

• FAT32 said: I agree with this, but sometimes I ask myself, with the amount of money being spent on idling machines, I can pay for the same thing at regular price.

Yeah that's the issue, and it becomes even worse when you have several idle machines as they cost the same as a good quality VM with a top noch provider: you end up hosting your website on one of your oversold VMs while you could have used something better.

Of course, that's not 100% true, some bargains are great and some providers offer great quality, even for their specials, but when you start having more than an idle VPS, cheap isn't necessarily so cheap anymore, and too good to pass often not much more than an illusion if you look at the bigger picture.

• @angstrom said:

@Letzien said:
    Maybe I'll throw NetBSD on that VirMach 10GB/10GB box. I can't think of anything else to do with it other than use it as the worlds' possibly slowest external memcache. I know they've got OpenBSD and FreeBSD ISOs, not sure about NetBSD.

Oh, you managed to get one of those unusual VirMach boxes. :smile:

Drinking, and Virmach specials seem to go hand in hand. Bastards.

If you need any help with NetBSD, let me know, but I think that you know what you're doing. :smile: Any of the BSDs would also be a good choice for that VPS. You could be brave and try MidnightBSD. (On the other hand, TrueOS would probably be overkill.)

If there was decent HDD, I'd probably throw Dragonfly on it, because HAMMER2 intrigues me. Plus, I knew the dude from his Arkanoid clone. Kind of.

• Letzien said: Maybe I'll throw NetBSD on that VirMach 10GB/10GB box. I can't think of anything else to do with it other than use it as the worlds' possibly slowest external memcache. I know they've got OpenBSD and FreeBSD ISOs, not sure about NetBSD.

How's the CPU on that one? I know that you can't use more than 50% for x minutes or the VPS gets shutdown, but if it has enough cpu power, it could be a cost-effective VM to process files and store those in a redis db (api backend for example). Good luck!

@datanoise said:

FAT32 said: I agree with this, but sometimes I ask myself, with the amount of money being spent on idling machines, I can pay for the same thing at regular price.

Yeah that's the issue, and it becomes even worse when you have several idle machines as they cost the same as a good quality VM with a top noch provider: you end up hosting your website on one of your oversold VMs while you could have used something better.

Of course, that's not 100% true, some bargains are great and some providers offer great quality, even for their specials, but when you start having more than an idle VPS, cheap isn't necessarily so cheap anymore, and too good to pass often not much more than an illusion if you look at the bigger picture.

You make some good points. With the VPS in this thread, I intend to replace a couple of small VPSes.

Thanked by 3datanoise FAT32 eol

@angstrom said:

@vimalware said:

@angstrom said:

This was also my initial inclination (but with 128 MB), but I'm not sure that compatibility reasons are still a valid justification (though this may depend on the system and what is meant by "compatibility").

Well, I re-added the swap partition (128 MB). It's probably good to have one (especially if I want to use 10.01 GB RAM), and it makes NetBSD happy. :smile:

• bapbap Member

@PHP_Friends said:

Correct. Now we can sell a few more servers due to some cancellations etc. and will reactivate the product now. But after that it's really sold out, it might last a few hours :)

Regarding the disk performance just a short information that not every host in this generation has the same disk setup. We run 8-16 SSDs in every host; some hosts still use SATA, some newer use SAS and these are faster of course. However, away from benchmarks you should not notice any difference with real-world workload.

Best Regards,
    Tim

Missed this one again, I will blame my boss more. -_-

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited March 2019

@bap said:

@PHP_Friends said:

Correct. Now we can sell a few more servers due to some cancellations etc. and will reactivate the product now. But after that it's really sold out, it might last a few hours :)

Regarding the disk performance just a short information that not every host in this generation has the same disk setup. We run 8-16 SSDs in every host; some hosts still use SATA, some newer use SAS and these are faster of course. However, away from benchmarks you should not notice any difference with real-world workload.

Best Regards,
    Tim

Missed this one again, I will blame my boss more. -_-

I can transfer you mine if @PHP_Friends allows it. You'll have to pay me though ;)

P.S. Netflix works on these. At least my friend's one did

• Something isn't right here. E5-2630 has 12 threads, taking at least 1 for hypervisor/host leaves 5 guests. 6euros x 5 = 30euros a month revenue per physical server?

@fpmagic said:
    Something isn't right here. E5-2630 has 12 threads, taking at least 1 for hypervisor/host leaves 5 guests. 6euros x 5 = 30euros a month revenue per physical server?

I think that v4 has 20 threads (or am I mistaken?), so using your reasoning, this would make €6 x 9 = €54/m.

It's also possible that the promotional VPSes are distributed across machines, in which case there are also normally priced VPSes on any machine.

But you ask a good question.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Probabilistic overcommit on CPU is possible given enough host nodes to spread guests around on

Thanked by 2uptime angstrom
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

As this was a limited offer there are dozens possibilities. For example as marketing promotion or to cut losses with unused resources.