Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keep away BuyVM and FranTech. - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Keep away BuyVM and FranTech.

Comments

• @jsg said: That is 2 assertions. Not a proof.

Dude, did you read my reply to you at the very top of this page? I said that there was no proof. And now you say that there's no proof. So we agree.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @FHR said:
    Okay, come up with a better system. I can't think of a system that wouldn't work on a trust basis.

Request from providers what is requested from the clients reported to FR.
    Proof.

There ya go, I "invented" a better system.

Thanked by 1astrataro
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2018

@jsg said: In summary FR seems to be not much more than an insiders hear-say utility. I understand that the providers want/need to protect themselves but the way it's working is extremely one-sided and biased and while they demand and try to enforce honesty with the clients there seems to be nothing in place to keep the providers honest and correct (which many or even most of them happen to be anyway, but that's not the point).

Online shopping evaluations (also eBay) are pretty similar except that it's the buyer that evaluates the seller. Buyers sometimes leave unfair negative evaluations of sellers, but it's generally assumed that most buyers won't do this. The system isn't free of errors and unfairness, but it seems, statistically at least, to work reasonably well.

Yes, you can always claim that there's no proof of this, but this isn't the point.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited November 2018

@FHR said:

jsg said: In summary FR seems to be not much more than an insiders hear-say utility. I understand that the providers want/need to protect themselves but the way it's working is extremely one-sided and biased and while they demand and try to enforce honesty with the clients there seems to be nothing in place to keep the providers honest and correct (which many or even most of them happen to be anyway, but that's not the point).

Okay, come up with a better system. I can't think of a system that wouldn't work on a trust basis.

Easy. In fact I already outlined some major points. Like equal rights - and duties - for providers and customers. If both providers and customers were forced to provide proof and if there were mechanisms in place to assure customers that they aren't victimized and that a provider making false claims had to bear (painful) consequences FR would be more accepted and more acceptable.

@angstrom said:

@Yura said:
    Circular logic, fallacy.

No.

That's why I responded and what I was referring to. @Yura was right.
    (But I also get your point. You just made it somewhat sharper than the facts provide).

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@mmuyskens said:
    on the topic of MaxMind - How would you react to a single "chargeback" comment from a provider that is known for crap support and continued to charge and ignore cancellation requests.

Case by case, we look at the source provider.

Francisco

• @jsg said: @Yura was right.

No.

Much as I'm fond of @Yura, no, sorry, he wasn't right when he said that what I said was "circular logic" or a "fallacy."

I expressed an empirical generalization which may be true or false. I believe that the empirical generalization is true. You or @Yura are free to believe that the empirical generalization is false. With enough relevant data at our disposal, we could determine whether the empirical generalization is true or false. But to say that an empirical generalization is false is not at all the same as to say that the empirical generalization involves "circular logic" or a "fallacy." This is a category error.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @jsg said:

@FHR said:

jsg said: In summary FR seems to be not much more than an insiders hear-say utility. I understand that the providers want/need to protect themselves but the way it's working is extremely one-sided and biased and while they demand and try to enforce honesty with the clients there seems to be nothing in place to keep the providers honest and correct (which many or even most of them happen to be anyway, but that's not the point).

Easy. In fact I already outlined some major points. Like equal rights - and duties - for providers and customers. If both providers and customers were forced to provide proof and if there were mechanisms in place to assure customers that they aren't victimized and that a provider making false claims had to bear (painful) consequences FR would be more accepted and more acceptable.

FR does not have customer information i believe so it cannot contact the customers.

• @Francisco said:
    It's pretty simple.

Alipay customers don't get run through Fraudlabs Maxmind, etc. It's common for Chinese users to give nothing but the word "Hong Kong" for city, state, postal code, address. Obviously, that's going to get their account flagged and the order blocked.

We whitelist all Alipay payments like this, in exchange we clearly document in our TOS that you stated you read, that we don't refund payments.

Fraudrecord has a listing for you from a well respected user on these forums. The report to them came through Cloudflare and Malware Portal.

You're welcome to talk to the host that flagged you or to talk with Fraudrecord to clear it up.

Fix that up, and you can have your service. For now it'll sit as credit.

Francisco

Did Karen also say that the funds will remain as credit until cleared up with the previous host Letbox and service can continue when cleared? That makes a HUGE difference as to the next step.

If I booked a flight and paid for it and the airline denied me without specifics and refund, I'd be pissed at the airline. But if they said, "can't let you on because you're on the no-fly list, get that sorted and we'll happily fly you anywhere. Here's your credit note", then next step is getting off the no-fly list and not raging on the airline for taking reasonable measures.

So I think your response differed from Karen's in some way.

The other week, I reported a package as stolen because mail carrier came to my building, marked package as delivered, but didn't. I found out the next day with a pick up notice in my mailbox and getting the package from post office the label was not printed correctly by the shipper, chopping off my apartment number. Overall, the mail carrier fucked it all up by not checking the tracking number for correct address and marking it in the system as delivered instead of invalid address.

Mistakes happen way too often.

Thanked by 2kkrajk iKeyZ
  • eoleol Member
    edited November 2018

EDIT:

Removed inappropriate comment.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

xaoc said: FR does not have customer information i believe so it cannot contact the customers.

That would be correct, FraudRecord stores just SHA1 hashed data. This means that it is impossible (or rather extremely difficult) to reverse it. In other words, you can't make an email address from the stored data again.

• How would a consumer check their own FraudRecord?

I've never made a PayPal chargeback (nor do I intend to) but curious to see what info (if any) they hold.

• Delimiter had the cheek to put me on fraudrecord after doing a chcarge back for a server that was down for 2 months and with me going through tickets asking for a resolution/money back. That there shows how accurate fraudrecord is, not much.

• @corbpie said:
    Delimiter had the cheek to put me on fraudrecord after doing a chcarge back for a server that was down for 2 months and with me going through tickets asking for a resolution/money back. That there shows how accurate fraudrecord is, not much.

Personally, I wouldn't be taking much notice of a delimiter report.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited November 2018

@angstrom said:
    Much as I'm fond of @Yura, no, sorry, he wasn't right when he said that what I said was "circular logic" or a "fallacy."

Sorry but

@angstrom said:
    Generally x: if x is innocent, then NOT (x is on FR)
    Which is equivalent to:
    Generally x: if x is on FR, then NOT (x is innocent)

is logically badly flawed. Yes, formally it's not circular logic but mainly because it's not logic at all; it's merely assertions dressed up to look like logic.

That said, I'm not really interested a lot. My point is about making understood that FR is heavily biased and questionable but also: I understand that providers feel to need and want something like FR. So let's try to come up with a better FR that is a credible and reliable service for all involved parties.

Regarding that I've said what I had to say for the moment. Should new arguments come up I'll address them if I feel that might be useful. But I have no interest in hunting anyone or anything down. I got what you wanted to say and I'm quite confident that you also got my point.

@FHR said:

xaoc said: FR does not have customer information i believe so it cannot contact the customers.

That would be correct, FraudRecord stores just SHA1 hashed data. This means that it is impossible (or rather extremely difficult) to reverse it. In other words, you can't make an email address from the stored data again.

That made me laugh. I guess it was a well meant attempt to protect customer data.

It is however not a major problem. They can simply SHA1 hash the email address from which a client requests information, deletion, whatever, and compare it to their data.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

TimboJones said: Did Karen also say that the funds will remain as credit until cleared up with the previous host Letbox and service can continue when cleared? That makes a HUGE difference as to the next step.

The funds already show up as a credit so it was visible to the customer. It's possible he didn't see it, but I'll make sure Karen makes that point clear in the future if there's ever such issues.

OP replied to my ticket and claims he's actively trying to resolve the issue. We'll see if he wants to reply to this thread anymore.

corbpie said: Delimiter had the cheek to put me on fraudrecord after doing a chcarge back for a server that was down for 2 months and with me going through tickets asking for a resolution/money back. That there shows how accurate fraudrecord is, not much.

FR doesn't validate any complaints, it's a completely crowdsourced fraud tracking service. It's as good as the providers taking part in the community.

If you don't like a report, as far as I know you can talk to Harzem directly and he'll work to address the reports.

FR does more good than harm.

Francisco

Thanked by 2FHR TimboJones
  • @jsg said: Sorry but

@angstrom said:
    Generally x: if x is innocent, then NOT (x is on FR)
    Which is equivalent to:
    Generally x: if x is on FR, then NOT (x is innocent)

is logically badly flawed. Yes, formally it's not circular logic but mainly because it's not logic at all; it's merely assertions dressed up to look like logic.

Those were just semi-formal paraphrases of what I said earlier in an attempt to clarify to @Yura that there was no "circular logic" or a "fallacy." This is all they were: semi-formal paraphrases of what I said earlier.

But I said this. I also said that what they expressed was an empirical generalization. I also said they weren't a proof of anything.

(I'll stop here but you attributed to me things that I didn't say.)

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

@corbpie said:
    Delimiter had the cheek to put me on fraudrecord after doing a chcarge back for a server that was down for 2 months and with me going through tickets asking for a resolution/money back. That there shows how accurate fraudrecord is, not much.

LOL. YEP. Me too. That's why I asked what I asked earlier.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2018

Delimiter is WSS of hosting industry, born to troll customers and will collapse trolling customers.

Thanked by 1willie
  • mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

failure of delimiter is nigh

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Some people kill for chocolate bars, so its not a surprise to see a drama for 5$.

• @Neoon said:
    Some people kill for chocolate bars, so its not a surprise to see a drama for 5$.

Didn't you have a shitfit over something like $2?

• @Neoon said:

All depends on your location and social status i guess.

Thanked by 1desperand

@CyberMonday said:

@Neoon said:

Didn't you have a shitfit over something like $2?

Not that I remember but, even if something is free, and its level's of shit are high enough to justify a drama then yes.

• @Neoon said:
    Not that I remember but, even if something is free, and its level's of shit are high enough to justify a drama then yes.

Fixed for LET.

edited November 2018

@CyberMonday said:

@Neoon said:

Fixed for LET.

Reminds me of 2 moderators, which where drunk and flooded the chest pit with some nsfw stuff.
    Sometimes even good things happen when you are drunk as fuck, like Hostballs.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I go nuts when it's exactly 666 dollars.

• I always go to the chest pit for my NSFW fix.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Ympker said:
    @Francisco Just refund through an alternate payment method and be done with it, eh? :)

For what it's worth in some countries there is a refund period by law (such as 14 days; as e.g. stated by @Ho-ost ) where companies have to refund the customer if eligible. Choosing a specific payment method would probably not remove the refund rights of a customer here in Germany. I've however experienced some hosts, that do NOT refund specific payment methods in the same way, but an alternative way which usually always is bank transfer. Keeping the money however doesn't feel "right" I guess. That's just a feeling though.

@Jiuling
    You can only be advised to order in jurisdictions, that are far more consumer friendly such as Germany, where it is deemed illegal to even charge fees for certain payment channels. If a host decides for whatever reason (ToS, lack of stock) not to honor the service contract that you have agreed on, the host would be in breach taking payment and refusing the refund. (if the ToS states that offer is not binding that is an alternative case)
    If a host in Germany has an illegal ToS which states that XYPay is not refunded, competitors will trigger lawyers to caution him. The great advantage is that you will find the majority of ToS around being inline with consumer friendly laws and regulations, without you needing to anything, not even reading the ToS.
    If you order with an "illegal ToS host" you would certainly need to hire lawyer in Germany and write him a letter in order to have this host aligned with the law in no time, however you will need to cover the lawyer yourself. That's the classic difference between law and justice. That is why in General you always need to read the ToS and hand sort providers, in doubt go with reputable brands.

• @silverdawn said:

@Ympker said:
    @Francisco Just refund through an alternate payment method and be done with it, eh? :)

For what it's worth in some countries there is a refund period by law (such as 14 days; as e.g. stated by @Ho-ost ) where companies have to refund the customer if eligible. Choosing a specific payment method would probably not remove the refund rights of a customer here in Germany. I've however experienced some hosts, that do NOT refund specific payment methods in the same way, but an alternative way which usually always is bank transfer. Keeping the money however doesn't feel "right" I guess. That's just a feeling though.

@Jiuling
    You can only be advised to order in jurisdictions, that are far more consumer friendly such as Germany, where it is deemed illegal to even charge fees for certain payment channels. If a host decides for whatever reason (ToS, lack of stock) not to honor the service contract that you have agreed on, the host would be in breach taking payment and refusing the refund. (if the ToS states that offer is not binding that is an alternative case)
    If a host in Germany has an illegal ToS which states that XYPay is not refunded, competitors will trigger lawyers to caution him. The great advantage is that you will find the majority of ToS around being inline with consumer friendly laws and regulations, without you needing to anything, not even reading the ToS.
    If you order with an "illegal ToS host" you would certainly need to hire lawyer in Germany and write him a letter in order to have this host aligned with the law in no time, however you will need to cover the lawyer yourself. That's the classic difference between law and justice. That is why in General you always need to read the ToS and hand sort providers, in doubt go with reputable brands.

In my country there is a legislation about the refunds that everyone has to undergo, it is not possible to take the money of a customer and not give him the service or the product, this is always illegal. Perhaps in the country of Buyvm you can put a sign in front of a store with written on it: "no refunds", get the money for a liter of milk and then keep the money without giving anything in return because you are on a black list written by private entities, in my country it is a crime even if the buyer is the worst criminal in the world and corresponds to an embezzlement to be given money without giving anything back, maybe in BuyVm country it is perfectly ethical and legal, but I don't think so.

Thanked by 2kkrajk drizbo
  • @Neoon said:

I see a hit Snickers commercial in the works.

This discussion has been closed.