Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter Server down [Atlanta] - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter Server down [Atlanta]

Comments

• Still down. Day 28.

• naveennaveen Member

Still down since 2nd June. Day 36

• ouijaouija Member

I said it on wht, might as well say it on here as well:

One month of solid downtime. Indeed a record for me in my IT career of over 20 years. Longest stretch with ZERO customer support or communication as well. I gave up hope of getting the servers back after a week of this, and have already replaced two of my clients with new providers.

I believe Delimiter has run out of "clearance" servers that aren't bricked, and this is why there is ZERO communication from them recently. They are either waiting for you or other customers to abandon ship so they can utilize that hardware for those still affected.

Biggest fail I've ever been subjected to with a hosting company. I really hope they go out of business.

• Those saying "still down" just move on, Delimiter aint magically going to become a good host

Thanked by 1emgh
  • edited July 2018

Um I didn't notice this thread earlier... Mine with them is down as well ,and the didn't answer my ticket after June 14th, while I asked for updates every few days.

Anyway, my PayPal subscription is canceled and let's see where they're going to, let me guess, maybe deadpool?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • KrisKris Member

ouija said: I believe Delimiter has run out of "clearance" servers that aren't bricked, and this is why there is ZERO communication from them recently. They are either waiting for you or other customers to abandon ship so they can utilize that hardware for those still affected.

Biggest fail I've ever been subjected to with a hosting company. I really hope they go out of business.

That would be my guess. That and the half-assed push to 'Yomura Fiber' probably means they're going to leverage PoPs to supply fiber to businesses and exit the hosting industry.

I always thought their entire setup was a little odd, and they seemed to be riding the coat-tails of another company, uplink, etc. Not to mention the game of shells which ended up with me finding a... I believe it was a UK based collectible company registered to Mary Turner which shared names with various entities of theirs. Shit got weird and with no further clues I gave up after then.

Soon after then dropped Mikeyur, kept on with the half-assed German support, Mark disappeared after losing face with their first bout of downtime due to no backup power.

God-knows what Eden's got up his sleeve. I'm guessing the techs that would be rebooting and fixing servers are currently in the streets of Atlanta setting up Ubiquiti type APs.

Anyway, guessing the dark fiber and cash-grab is done, Charlotte, Denver and Atlanta are getting some FTTP with sub-par service to ride.

Make backups as oiuja is probably right - they likely got these off someone like Tulix before they left the building and the supply of old servers has dried up, and if you can't get someone to get your server online in 20 days, good luck having that company shell out on new hardware.

• This was recently posted to their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/delimitervps/posts/2120323901578895

Interesting timing...

Thanked by 1Kris
  • KrisKris Member

daxterfellowes said: Interesting timing...

Interesting post.

Remember how someone was posting they had these f-ing devices public? There's a reason proper data centers have a VPN and VLANs setup for clients to access their IPMI or iLO devices.

From the paper:

We use the web server vulnerability and its related code execution

primitive as a foothold on the iLO system; trying to install ourselves persistently
    on the system. As demonstrated in this paper, iLO4 systems offer
    perfect, highly stealth, long term persistence capabilities to a motivated
    30 Subverting your server through its BMC attacker; mostly due to the lack of hardware root of trust and to our privileged access to the SPI service. Indeed, thanks to our code execution primitive we were able to bypass the signature check performed by the installed firmware and to flash our rogue firmware. From there, the chain of trust relies upon the bootloader, which we have compromised.

So these were public. Starting to think someone went in and trashed / killed the firmware on every server and due to their location, they had some poor sap restoring firmware blade by blade so it knew it was a server and not a brick or ransomware screen.

They seem to be vested in their Atlanta WiMax type mesh network and two other cities this summer, I'd be surprised if these servers were offered for renewal.

• deank said: I think those who go for the cheapest of the cheapest of the crappiest are masochists actually.

Nah they're just doing it wrong. I buy dirt cheap servers and if anything breaks I just buy a new one (and in a case like this probably ask for my money back). It's cheap and fixes any problem faster than the best hosting company in the world would.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @corbpie said:
    Those saying "still down" just move on, Delimiter aint magically going to become a good host

Still down.

:)

• @rbstern said:

@corbpie said:
    Those saying "still down" just move on, Delimiter aint magically going to become a good host

Still down.

Good. Hope it never comes back up for you

• @corbpie said:

@rbstern said:

@corbpie said:

Still down.

Good. Hope it never comes back up for you

Ouch. "Mommy, I need a band-aid!"

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Pretty sure all people have moved on. They are just keeping track of how many days it's gonna be.

• sinsin Member

@deank said:
    Pretty sure all people have moved on. They are just keeping track of how many days it's gonna be.

I hope so...but you know a year from now someone is going to be creating a new thread with "DELIMITER DOWN! MY BUSINESS IS LOSING THOUSANDS EVERY SEC!"

• @sin said:

@deank said:

I hope so...but you know a year from now someone is going to be creating a new thread with "DELIMITER DOWN! MY BUSINESS IS LOSING THOUSANDS EVERY SEC!"

Most don't confuse Delimiter with better quality providers. It's well understood these are bargain basement servers with low quality service backing.

Still, if you pay money for one or more of these servers, it's reasonable to expect: a) unless out of business, Delimiter will honor its commitment to actually provide the customer access to the service, and b) if they are having trouble, they will at least provide status information so their customers are informed.

It's the failure on point (b) that really sets this point apart from a typical service outage.

To have a vendor do what they are doing is childish and irrational. It's important they suffer as much negative exposure as possible while they persist being irresponsible to their paying customers. It's the marketplace at work.

Thanked by 2joepie91 zed
  • PP already chargebacked :-) And yes, here just to see how long it takes them to maybe try to clean up their mess (although I know better, and I know they will not).
    To be fair - I did get great connectivity when it was up and running, and remember I had awesome services with them 2 years ago. But it seems that ship has long sailed and crashed and sank.

• lazytlazyt Member

Just have some data I would like to get off the server.

• @lazyt said:
    Just have some data I would like to get off the server.

Username checks out. Good luck buddy.

• rdesrdes Member

@t0ny0 you got cash back from paypal? My friend, whos server are down from month got email today that his claim has no basis :D.

• @rdes said:
    @t0ny0 you got cash back from paypal? My friend, whos server are down from month got email today that his claim has no basis :D.

No idea yet. Probably won't get my 200 back either, but its worth the try :-)

• sinsin Member

@rdes said:

Tell them to call Paypal and send as much evidence as you can. If you provide Paypal with detailed info about dates, downtime, etc and call up to speak to a Paypal rep (or keep calling to stay on them), then it helps your case.

• If you can't win a chargeback against delimiter you gotta have a look in the mirror.

• rdesrdes Member
    edited July 2018

@sin he provided them screenshots of unanswered tickets, twitter posts, even uptimerobot report, but after 3 weeks paypal told him that "seller accurately described the item" (?!?!) and closed claim case. He contacted them, and now they checking this again...

I don't know, maybe pp thinks that since user accepted delimiter tos without any guarantees there's no problem at all if servers not working ;).

• FoulFoul Member

Dicklimiter has lost their dispute case against me.

• So what happened to all the servers everyone was renting? Did they just re-rent them to new customers or what?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Add more profit margin and re-sell at a higher markup. 30+ days of downtime is not an accident. This is intentional.

• BruceBruce Member

@sidewinder said:
    So what happened to all the servers everyone was renting?

my servers have been online for a while now. 10 days of downtime, no communication from them, so far from acceptable. but they are running OK now, and I assume most others are.

IPv6 seems to be unroutable though

• NealSNealS Member

I'm still down. Over a month now.

Today I'm trying to decide if I should file a paypal dispute or try to wait it out. If I file a dispute and lose they might cancel the remaining 5 months of my annual deal.

The server and data have been replaced via another vendor for awhile now but I'm still out some $$$ that I'd like to recover or make use of that server I paid for.

• My server has been up for 21 days after, like most of their clients, I had a long span of downtime. Never did get any email from them. My ticket, open since 06/14, has never been replied to.

I guess I'm more fortunate than some, since my server is at least back online, but I certainly won't be renewing. (Not even sure of my renewal date, since they never merged my services into the new panel, despite two tickets asking them to do it.)

• Looks like some of their HW got repo'd