Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Could you please clarify the limits on CPU usage? This has been asked for a few times.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @MarshalChe said:
    Dear @Hetzner_OL, while my ID is being verified can you please tell me can i buy additional cores / RAM / SSD like you can sell the bandwidth or there is a strict binding to tariffs?

Thank you!
    Anyway,

;)

there FAQ says:

Is there any way to get a custom configuration?
    Customized virtual servers (additional RAM, additional/larger drives etc.) are not currently available.

Thanked by 1MarshalChe
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2018

I'm moving from CX20 to the CX21 now

this is the way it's done, fuck OVH and online.net <3

PS: please bring back cheap i7 dedis to your auction, I miss browsing them.

@willie said:

I wonder if it will be possible to detect with ping time whether two VPS are on the same host node.

tracert/traceroute will help you to determine the datacenter (look at the hetzner core router hop). They basically have two locations with a shitload of datacenters.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited January 2018

@pike said:
    this is the way it's done, fuck OVH and online.net <3

Yep, I think Hetzner would be the provider of the year. I am moving my dedicated servers and vps from online.net to Hetzner.

• LeeLee Veteran

Between the time I spent on the pilot and having transferred one Linode to Hetzner it is shaping up to be a solid offering.

I do prefer a provider that has all their own infrastructure and always on site.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Feature request - show compressed snapshot size in UI - (can only be seen in billing preview ? )

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • I wish that there was a plan which would provide a single dedicaTed core(or thread?), 250gb hdd (minimum), 1gbps connection and ~2gb+ ram through kvm for something like ~10-12 USD (8-10 EUR)/mo. i'll keep dreaming meanwhile...

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Using almost 900mb of RAM on a out of the box Ubuntu or Debian + Virtualmin setup.
    This setup normally uses 300-400mb on other hosts.

• @ZweiTiger said:

netcup offer dedicated cores. Are you sure thats nothing? Try to use the resources like at netcup.. you will be surprised i think.

only on the rootservers and they are not really dedicated. netcup doesn't allow mining anymore on the rootservers. look into this thread https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&amp;tl=en&amp;js=y&amp;prev=_t&amp;hl=de&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;u=https://forum.netcup.de/administration-eines-server-vserver/vserver-server-kvm-server/9107-mining-auf-vserver-erlaubt/?pageNo=2&amp;edit-text= just spin up a script which does 24/7 100% cpu load for a week and see what happens.

cores of a node a shared, when someone uses the cores all the time and other users do need also the cores right now, the user gets switched to another node but if it's happens to often they will kick you. but they will tell you it's cause the green energy is to good for such server processes and they want to use it only for usefull server processes.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Sadly, I cannot try the PREMIUM cloud today, my account is still locked.

Thanked by 1Azenot
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2018

@lurkem said:

@ZweiTiger said:

netcup offer dedicated cores. Are you sure thats nothing? Try to use the resources like at netcup.. you will be surprised i think.

only on the rootservers and they are not really dedicated. netcup doesn't allow mining anymore on the rootservers. look into this thread https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&amp;tl=en&amp;js=y&amp;prev=_t&amp;hl=de&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;u=https://forum.netcup.de/administration-eines-server-vserver/vserver-server-kvm-server/9107-mining-auf-vserver-erlaubt/?pageNo=2&amp;edit-text= just spin up a script which does 24/7 100% cpu load for a week and see what happens.

cores of a node a shared, when someone uses the cores all the time and other users do need also the cores right now, the user gets switched to another node but if it's happens to often they will kick you. but they will tell you it's cause the green energy is to good for such server processes and they want to use it only for usefull server processes.

in their (netcups) new AGB/TOS mining now is forbidden. those regulations seem to be there since december 2017 but are only valid for new customers/new orders since then. for old server nothing changes as customers would need to agree to the new rules first.

• @Hetzner_OL ipv6 is not connecting.

• @Hetzner_OL ipv6 is not connecting.

Open a ticket.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Can you order a NVME instance and add extra attached ceph storage?

• @willie said:
    @Ishaq @teamacc @Amitz @Elliotj could this thread be moved from Offers to Providers so it doesn't sink? Yes I know it's an offer but it's also a significant informational and discussion thread about what looks to be an important long-term product.

+1 and corrected for you ;-)

Thanked by 1willie
  • Thread set to unsink for the next few days (read: until i get tired of seeing it on the frontpage forever)

• @teamacc said:
    Thread set to unsink for the next few days (read: until i get tired of seeing it on the frontpage forever)

thanks! at least should prevent further new threads about it you'd need to close/cleanup ;-)

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • LeeLee Veteran

I did post earlier wondering why it had been sunk, but then I thought maybe posting in offers causes an auto-sink, glad it was not just my old age...

• Hetzner making offers officially on LET....have we finally gone LEgit?

• @teamacc said:
    Thread set to unsink for the next few days (read: until i get tired of seeing it on the frontpage forever)

Personally, I don't really mind, but I wonder whether this isn't to grant Hetzner a slight competitive advantage over other providers posting offers here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

angstrom said: Personally, I don't really mind, but I wonder whether this isn't to grant Hetzner a slight competitive advantage over other providers posting offers here.

Could be encouragement to say "here's how to gain attention, plz no more 512MB for $7/m" :P

Thanked by 2Aidan pike
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

angstrom said: Personally, I don't really mind, but I wonder whether this isn't to grant Hetzner a slight competitive advantage over other providers posting offers here.

Usually, I would agree, however in this case Hetzner are bringing something far more interesting to the table than the usual offerings that are in the main, unremarkable.

• FredQc said: So on the less expensive clouds you get much better "per core" score ...

Maybe the miners have already arrived to bog down the large instances. A few hours earlier the 32gb scored higher:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6624222

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • @Lee said:

Usually, I would agree, however in this case Hetzner are bringing something far more interesting to the table than the usual offerings that are in the main, unremarkable.

That's a delicate argument, perhaps justifiable, but delicate. On the face of it, it looks like an impromptu decision made without precedent. (Or is there a precedent?)

• angstrom said: That's a delicate argument, perhaps justifiable, but delicate. On the face of it, it looks like an impromptu decision made without precedent. (Or is there a precedent?)

It's Hetzner.

Fucking Hetzner.

Posting an offer on LET.

Do you really not see the significance of this, or do you simply not care?

• LeeLee Veteran

angstrom said: That's a delicate argument

Is it, why? Do we need rules and precedent for every decision? You want WHT for that.

Sometimes a bit of spontaneity is warranted and healthy. I cannot recall the last time there was a game changer in the VPS/Cloud space to compare with what Hetzner have come up with and that deserves in itself to set the future standard for similar decisions.

And of course this.

jarland said: Could be encouragement to say "here's how to gain attention, plz no more 512MB for $7/m" :P

• @Hetzner_OL give me billing in usd. :D

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited January 2018

angstrom said: a slight competitive advantage

with this offer there's hardly a competition. Anyway, consider this: we had multiple threads about this offer (either new or bumped). Those threads would stay afloat whilst this one, containing the actual offer from the provider's spokesperson herself and with actual replies from said spokesperson, would sink. Does it make sense? Personally, I don't think so. Would bumping a old thread (i.e. this) made by a regular member be any better or more advisable? I guess not.

It's clear this offer will be of high interest for at least a couple of days (months, actually)

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • tarasistarasis Member
    edited January 2018

So, despite what happened with ZXHosts & Ceph, going with Ceph over NVME directly is best option for disk speed?

Thats insane bandwidth on this service. I had a very brief fling with the beta a day before it ended.

Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my notes and can't remember if I had a better ping to Falkenstein or Nuremberg (from near Hamburg on a Vodafone cable link)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

Nekki said: Posting an offer on LET.

Well, I see it more as intended to be marketing than an offer, Katie is posting the same thing on forums all over, not just here. :)