Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• @Nekki said:

angstrom said: That's a delicate argument, perhaps justifiable, but delicate. On the face of it, it looks like an impromptu decision made without precedent. (Or is there a precedent?)

It's Hetzner.

Fucking Hetzner.

Posting an offer on LET.

Do you really not see the significance of this, or do you simply not care?

Okay, man, if you say so.

But just to bear in mind that it's not a special offer for LET. They simply point out their new product line and pricing, and then link to the page in question. Fine. Yes. Hetzner.

I'm not quite ready to drop to my knees, but I may be alone in this.

• LeeLee Veteran

tarasis said: what happened with ZXHosts & Ceph

Yeah, that comparison won't work :P

angstrom said: but I may be alone in this.

I suspect you are in the minority certainly :)

Thanked by 1pike
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2018

Offer/marketing, w/e - actually doesn't matter how you want to term it. The point is that they're doing it here.

Edit: The fact it's here and not LEB is also, the lols.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

For what it's worth, it is possible to get IPv6 working with these with various *BSDs.

If you go into the admin, there's even an OpenBSD 6.2 ISO image you can mount- which is good, because their network is a bit wonky and if you don't ping your link-local first, you won't get a route.

So, after you config your IP, send an ICMP to fe80::1%vio0, and make sure you do that in your reboot scripts, and it just works. Here's a compatible hostname.vio0:

dhcp
    #IPv4 works fine with standard DHCP, will hardcode later.
    #!route add ...
    inet6 <muh:slash64::1> 64
    !route add -inet6 default fe80::1\%vio0

Do I need one of these? No. For #2.50/mo with 2GB will I be keeping it? Probably.

Thanked by 2ucxo sin
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2018

@Nekki said:
    Offer/marketing, w/e - actually doesn't matter how you want to term it. The point is that they're doing it here.

Fine, they're doing it here (and elsewhere as well).

Edit: The fact it's here and not LEB is also, the lols.

Actually, this is the more significant point.

• angstrom said: (and elsewhere as well).

Elsewhere is where else?

• @Lee said: angstrom said: but I may be alone in this.

I suspect you are in the minority certainly :)

I assume my fate. Let the mob take me to the town square. ;-)

But, yes -- in case it wasn't clear -- I also find that it's a very attractive new product + pricing line.

But, also yes, impromptu without precedent.

Fine.

• LeeLee Veteran

angstrom said: I assume my fate. Let the mob take me to the town square. ;-)

That will the mob of one, @Nekki :)

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • @WSS said: For what it's worth, it is possible to get IPv6 working with these with various *BSDs.

No custom ISO possible, I guess? :-( And no NetBSD? :-( And no Slackware? :-(

• Looks like the mikrotik iso isn't fit for purpose. The IO drivers needed for this aren't included in the ISO so it fails to find a disk and won't run

• WSSWSS Member

@angstrom said:

@WSS said: For what it's worth, it is possible to get IPv6 working with these with various *BSDs.

No custom ISO possible, I guess? :-( And no NetBSD? :-( And no Slackware? :-(

No way to upload, yet, and you need better iPXE access to bring the network up than the default iPXE, since you need to throw ICMPs at your link-local. I tried a trivial iPXE-udnionly crossover for a single shot, and it didn't work, so I decided I'd follow up on it later.

No NetBSD; No Slackware. FreeBSD 11.1, OpenBSD 6.2, and a few other uncommon Linux distributions, but no way to upload your own ISO/et al.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Additional block storage would be cool.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • WSSWSS Member

Although the pricing is great, the management system is very rudimentary, and it seemed to ignore my ed25519 identity key; default install gave me an obfusicated root password instead.

• LeeLee Veteran

WSS said: the management system is very rudimentary

That will change quickly enough, for a launch product it's a great start. SSH keys and snapshots alone are still further than Linode have come in 15 years.

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware
  • WSSWSS Member

@Lee said:

That will change quickly enough, for a launch product it's a great start. SSH keys and snapshots alone are still further than Linode have come in 15 years.

Sure, it's better than what I'd launch with, but it's on par with @vmhaus, and those are 5 guys in a basement who share a keyboard, and a dream.

I'm not disappointed, but it's still kind of disappointing from a larger provider. I was pleasantly surprised for the 3 seconds I actually sat in their default Debian install is that it was the standard Hetznerized setup - same as on their actual hardware, because I did become somewhat accustomed to that.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • pre- or postpaid? @Hetzner_OL

• lemon said: pre- or postpaid?

Postpaid.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • LeeLee Veteran

It's all about the price/resource ratio for most though, I honestly see nobody touching them there. Give it a few months and I am certain that panel will develop quickly. Hetzner tend to go all in once they see a line is popular.

• @WSS said:

@Lee said:

Sure, it's better than what I'd launch with, but it's on par with @vmhaus, and those are 5 guys in a basement who share a keyboard, and a dream.

I'm not disappointed, but it's still kind of disappointing from a larger provider. I was pleasantly surprised for the 3 seconds I actually sat in their default Debian install is that it was the standard Hetznerized setup - same as on their actual hardware, because I did become somewhat accustomed to that.

But that's precisely what they want: everyone to use a standardized Hetzner setup.

• Seems so nice but will their pricing policy continue like that or are these only promotional prices?.. That's what I cannot decide.

Thanked by 1willie
  • bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2018

@angstrom

Rules don't exist for the sake of rules but for the sake of the community. While I do see the importance of the rule "thou shall treat all providers equally" I also see the (implicit, unwritten) rule "If someone makes nuggets of gold rain down on the land, though shall make sure that each and everyone in the land knoweth about it".

What @Hetzner_OL did there is just fucking amazing! And I think it's well deserved and makes sense for 99.99% of LETers to find it at a prominent position on page 1.

Thanked by 2MrPsycho southy
  • WSSWSS Member

@Lee

2G/20G/20TB for #2.50? You'd have to be insane to think you could compete with that.
    Hell, NetCup VPS is 1G/20G/20TB for #2.99, with a year commitment.

I'm more comfortable with how strong CCP is for management than this Web 3.0 pretty thing, but this also has the ability to setup native grouping for new VPS so you can clickyclicky like Windows/Finder, and I'm sure more will come from that. My only real gripe is that their network is still quirky, and the miner fucks have completely depleted the affordable i7s.

Thanked by 2mtsbatalha Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

WSS said: 2G/20G/20TB for #2.50? You'd have to be insane to think you could compete with that. Hell, NetCup VPS is 1G/20G/20TB for #2.99, with a year commitment.

Indeed, there are options out there, and also agreed that their network can be somewhat lumpy however I can forgive that in providers I have a preference for.

• angstrom said:

But just to bear in mind that it's not a special offer for LET. They simply point out their new product line and pricing, and then link to the page in question. Fine. Yes. Hetzner.

You're talking about just the first post. The rest of the thread is wide-ranging community participation. That makes it a discussion thread rather than just an offer thread. As such, non-sinking is the right thing.

Fwiw, there's a Hacker News thread where Katie is also posting: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16212299

It's mostly higher-end (i.e. AWS) users there, not much new info in the HN thread that we don't have here, but a different perspective at times.

• @Nekki said:

angstrom said: (and elsewhere as well).

Elsewhere is where else?

In general, since I try to acknowledge when I've missed something, I'll concede that I had missed that this is @Hetzner_OL's very first thread on LET, so I agree that this is somehow significant.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL Do you also do phone verifications for german customers?

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • @bsdguy said:
    @angstrom

Rules don't exist for the sake of rules but for the sake of the community. While I do see the importance of the rule "thou shall treat all providers equally" I also see the (implicit, unwritten) rule "If someone makes nuggets of gold rain down on the land, though shall make sure that each and everyone in the land knoweth about it".

What @Hetzner_OL did there is just fucking amazing! And I think it's well deserved and makes sense for 99.99% of LETers to find it at a prominent position on page 1.

Can we make it a sticky thread? Let's not stop short.

• WSSWSS Member

@angstrom said:

@bsdguy said:
    @angstrom

nng.. almost.. *almost there*..

• @willie said:

angstrom said:

You're talking about just the first post. The rest of the thread is wide-ranging community participation. That makes it a discussion thread rather than just an offer thread. As such, non-sinking is the right thing.

Maybe put it in Featured Threads instead of leaving it in Offers?

Fwiw, there's a Hacker News thread where Katie is also posting: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16212299

It's mostly higher-end (i.e. AWS) users there, not much new info in the HN thread that we don't have here, but a different perspective at times.

Thanks for the link.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

@bsdguy said:
    @angstrom

nng.. almost.. *almost there*..

"nnginx"?

(You can't have high expectations from a NetBSD user.)