Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@budi1413 said:
    What is account verification? Is it needed?

Are you asking if we check your ID? Yes, if you are a new customer with us, we will request your ID. We do this to prevent abuse and fake orders. The data is deleted soon after we use it to confirm your identification. After your first order, we don't ask for IDs anymore. --Katie, Marketing

@budi1413 said:
    Hmm no Debian 8 template. :(

That's right, we don't offer Debian 8. It's close to being end-of-life. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 2Aidan coreflux
  • Are you asking if we check your ID? Yes, if you are a new customer with us, we will request your ID. We do this to prevent abuse and fake orders. The data is deleted soon after we use it to confirm your identification. After your first order, we don't ask for IDs anymore. --Katie, Marketing

How long need wait for account verification?

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

Falzo said:

don't want to sound dickish, but I'd expect to be able to use whatever I get from those cores, even 24/7 if needed... especially without the need to lookup any fancy virtual limits hidden in some TOS.

I'm impressed by the geekbench scores, and that also makes me pessimistic that these things will be overrun with coin miners soon. That said, this is a very nice refresh of the earlier CX line.

lurkem said:

netcup can do nothing against hetzner's offer

I dunno about Netcup, I've been with Hetzner for years and I like it there, but there are definitely good aspects about being with smaller providers. Also that 1Tb+ network doesn't mean you can get a VPS with a 1Tb port ;). It's split up among a huge number of servers. I'm there for the cpu and storage so I'm not too fussy about the network, but let's face it Hetzner's network gets congested sometimes.

• ebonyebony Member
    edited January 2018

@solarman said:

@budi1413 said:

Yes that would be nice

@budi1413 said:

That's right, we don't offer Debian 8. It's close to being end-of-life. --Katie, Marketing

could install it though the rescue system

Thanked by 2budi1413 solarman
  • How long need wait for account verification? (2)

• @ebony said:

@solarman said:

@budi1413 said:

Yes that would be nice

@budi1413 said:

could install it though the rescue system

Wow nice thanks for the info. :)

• @lurkem said:
    netcup can do nothing against hetzner's offer

-every hetzner dc is DIN ISO/IEC 27001 certified. netcup not

-hetzner has a 2,65 TBit network. netcup has only 131 GBit, so they can't offer so much traffic

-hetzner can tank much more DDoS then netcup and has a way better ddos protection

-hetzner has nvme or ceph space, netcup has only ssd or sas space

netcup offer dedicated cores. Are you sure thats nothing? Try to use the resources like at netcup.. you will be surprised i think.

• LeeLee Veteran

willie said: be overrun with coin miners soon.

They will attempt it certainly but I am positive Hetzner will be over them like a rash. That and Plex server maxing out the CPU.

• AluminatAluminat Member
    edited January 2018

Hetzner_OL said: Are you asking if we check your ID? Yes, if you are a new customer with us, we will request your ID. We do this to prevent abuse and fake orders. The data is deleted soon after we use it to confirm your identification. After your first order, we don't ask for IDs anymore. --Katie, Marketing

Would you mind if I dm you with verification info?

After second pic of my ID selfire card, your sale department guys seem just disappear. Even though he respones my first pic very fast (like 10mins or so).

• Send my id and then poof they ask me to taje selfie with my id

@Azenot said:
    How long need wait for account verification?

It depends. During normal business hours and during normal operations, there is a pretty short wait time. However, new customer's orders are reviewed by real humans -- some of the process is automated, but not all of it. The department who reviews the orders works during normal business hours (Central European Time). And since there are many new orders coming in because of the Hetzner Cloud launch, there may be longer than usual wait times. But please know that our team is working at full speed to verify orders as quickly as possible. --Katie, Marketing, Hetzner Online

@Aluminat said:
    Would you mind if I dm you with verification info?

I'm sorry but our sales team (who reviews new orders) cannot verify customers' IDs here on LET because of strict data protection laws in Germany/EU. We are bound by law to protect your ID as best as we can at all times.

After second pic of my ID selfire card, your sale department guys seem just disappear. Even though he respones my first pic very fast (like 10mins or so).

I am not sure what happened. Please be patient. There is a very high volume of new customers today and we are trying to help as many people as possible as quickly as possible. --Katie, Marketing

@robohost said:
    Send my id and then poof they ask me to taje selfie with my id

I do not mean to be insulting, but I am not sure if this is a question or a statement. Sometimes we may ask customers to send us a second image of themselves (a selfie) with their IDs.

Our extremely low prices unfortunately attract scammers and fake orders. So we try very hard to prevent abuse and fraud early on. Thanks for your understanding. --Katie, Marketing

• @Hetzner_OL
    Exist there any Limits on the Amount of Servers that we can order?
    Per Order I see the Limit is 10 Servers, is this the overall Limit or can we Order more?

For a Project I'm looking to order around 30x 4CPU Server, will they be randomly deployed
    on multiple Host Nodes or mostly on the same 1-2 Host Nodes?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

2GB, KVM, 2.49EUR

NVMe, 1Gbit

• @Neoon said:
    2GB, KVM, 2.49EUR

NVMe, 10Gbit

Fix that for you ;-)

• It will be interesting to see how this goes. An 8 vcpu, 32gb instance at Vultr is $160/m. I hope Hetzner knows what it's getting into, offering that much on-demand computing at 1/5th the price. It will be great if instances can stay in stock and not bog down. We'll see.

@nico said:
    Exist there any Limits on the Amount of Servers that we can order?
    Per Order I see the Limit is 10 Servers, is this the overall Limit or can we Order more?

For now at least, the order limit is 10, which is common in the industry. We have put this limit in place to prevent abuse and fake orders.

For a Project I'm looking to order around 30x 4CPU Server, will they be randomly deployed
    on multiple Host Nodes or mostly on the same 1-2 Host Nodes?

We try to schedule them on random nodes. --Katie, Marketing

• That's really really cheap for the brand. Wish to try soon

• @Hetzner_OL additional disk space would be great.

• @Neoon said:
    2GB, KVM, 2.49EUR

NVMe, 1Gbit

Basically this

@mtsbatalha said:
    @Hetzner_OL additional disk space would be great.

I'll pass that on to our development team. We love getting feedback from you all, so keep your suggestions coming! --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • aFriendaFriend Member
    edited January 2018

Does anyone know if I can run a separate lxc container and give it externally accessible floating ip? What gateway IP to assign to guest/lxc and which MAC address to use? OVH (and i think hetzner if I remember) dedis both allow you to creae a virtual mac address in the portal.
    The faq did not seem to explain this.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@Hetzner_OL plans for internal networking?

• @Hetzner_OL

Floating IP's that also work with the dedicated servers - don't know if that would be possible

Package deal for IPv4 + IPv6 floating IP

Additional disk space - possibly as a floating mountable + expandable CEPH device.

• just a wishlist - great service so far ;-)
    Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • FredQcFredQc Member
    edited January 2018

Just launched an 4GB instance and I'm genuinely impressed. How can one get such a high score in Geekbench from a 2GHz CPU !? Damn... Very good price vs performance ratio, at least for now. Thanks @Hetzner_OL

4GB:

Single-Core Score   Multi-Core Score
    4580                8524

32GB:

Single-Core Score   Multi-Core Score
    3528                20302

So on the less expensive clouds you get much better "per core" score ...

4GB:

--------------------------------------
    |        PHP BENCHMARK SCRIPT        |
    Start : 2018-01-23 18:17:51
    Server : Cloud1
    PHP version : 7.2.1
    Platform : Linux
    test_math                 : 0.199 sec.
    test_stringmanipulation   : 0.256 sec.
    test_loops                : 0.201 sec.
    test_ifelse               : 0.121 sec.
    Total time:               : 0.777 sec.

32GB:

|        PHP BENCHMARK SCRIPT        |
    Start : 2018-01-23 18:22:52
    Server : Cloud2
    PHP version : 7.2.1
    Platform : Linux
    test_math                 : 0.247 sec.
    test_stringmanipulation   : 0.322 sec.
    test_loops                : 0.247 sec.
    test_ifelse               : 0.152 sec.
    Total time:               : 0.968 sec.

Thanked by 2willie Hetzner_OL
  • Just spun up a 2gb. Shockingly fast installation and boot (local image copy I guess), very snappy server. Despite being just 2.1ghz it does openssl speed rsa2048 at around 1500/sigs/sec which is around 1.5x my 3.1ghz i5-3470S dedi running what should be the same software. I wonder if they changed the sw config somehow, and/or Skylake is just much faster at this? Ping to my Hetzner auction dedi (different DC in same location) is around 0.4-0.5 msec. Ping to localhost is around 0.04 msec. I wonder if it will be possible to detect with ping time whether two VPS are on the same host node. It's nice that you can pick between NBG and FLK, giving some geo diversity if you want it, or locality to your dedi if you want that.

Anyway, Hetzner must know that this is disruptive pricing, at least at the higher end. @Hetzner_OL, it would be great if you can share anything you're allowed to, about Hetzner's general vision for the product. Not roadmap details (presumably still confidential) but more like the intended market position, who you see as your main competitors, etc. The only other hourly service priced anything like this is Scaleway, which is completely disorganized.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

@Ishaq could this thread be moved from Offers to Providers so it doesn't sink? Yes I know it's an offer but it's also a significant informational and discussion thread about what looks to be an important long-term product.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Dear @Hetzner_OL, while my ID is being verified can you please tell me can i buy additional cores / RAM / SSD like you can sell the bandwidth or there is a strict binding to tariffs?

Thank you!
    Anyway,

;)

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

Feature suggestion: being able to create bootable images that are much smaller than full sized snapshots. I'm not sure how this works on other services, but something similar. (Added: Oh interesting, I see in the FAQ that snapshots are compressed and the user is billed only for the compressed size. Nice.).

Remark: Floating IPs are 1 euro/month even if they're ipv6? :(

Thanked by 1svmo