Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

speedykvm.com changed my recurring price without informing me - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

speedykvm.com changed my recurring price without informing me

Comments

• gisadikgisadik Banned, Member

@Nekki said:

gisadik said: Prices are guaranteed for the period offered for sale, want 3 years lock in? Pay for the 3 year plan. In general the NYC and SEA data centers go up in price every renewal due to the operators passing through higher costs. We have not and will not ever say a price is good for ever, the price is good for whatever term you lock in.

Which is fine - so why display the current price as reoccurring.

Surely you should do this as a one-time discount in your system, so the original price displays as reoccurring. You can then offer renewal 15-30 days before at whatever price you like.

That WAS the planned price at the time of signup. When our costs go up, we pass through increased costs on renewals. Simple :). Need long term price lock in? Pay for a longer term.

• LeeLee Veteran

gisadik said: OP has over 3 months left on his term.

And this was my earlier point, why can't a notification be sent to the client when you know instead of waiting another 2 months? As soon as you change the renewal price the client gets to know far sooner and everyone (should) be at least clearer and have far more time to move if that is their choice.

• @gisadik said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    So regardless of where, the promotions are being sold as recurring and manually changed towards the renewal without specific notice, call that whatever you want, on that basis alone I would not allow them to make any offers here if it was my call, but its not so it is what it is, suck it up I guess.

>

But sure. We'll keep doing business our way. If you're in business in 9 years time feel free to shoot us some tips.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Lee said: And this was my earlier point, why can't a notification be sent to the client when you know instead of waiting another 2 months? As soon as you change the renewal price the client gets to know far sooner and everyone (should) be at least clearer and have far more time to move if that is their choice.

did you not hear him? "fuck you I do what i want" is what he said.

gisadik said: But sure. We'll keep doing business our way. If you're in business in 9 years time feel free to shoot us some tips.

Well I am coming up to 8 years and I seem to have figured out what the recurring price button is for, so if you need any more tips from clearly lesser hosts that do it better feel free to drop me an email rather than make yourself look like a pillock in future.

• nullnotherenullnothere Member
    edited January 2018

gisadik said: That WAS the planned price at the time of signup. When our costs go up, we pass through increased costs on renewals.

Well at least you can notify the customer AS SOON as you know that you are NOT going to be honoring the signed up price for the renewal. Why the silent-without-as-much-as-a-warning change (and that to orders of magnitude higher).

(Edited to add): Also, when you don't know if you can honor the price (i.e. you're only guaranteeing the price for the contract period) why even use the term "recurring" (which is clearly misleading as per your own statement earlier). Just clearly highlight that the price is only for the duration of the contract and the new renewal price will be updated/notified/email (whatever) 30 days in advance (or whatever) or listed in the Billing area and so on. This way everyone who gets the invoice notice is clearly aware that the rug can (and will) be pulled out from under them after the current billing term expires.

• LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: did you not hear him? "fuck you I do what i want" is what he said.

Indeed, clearly trained by Gordon personally.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

This thread could only be topped off by someone getting internet sued.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

http://corporate.findlaw.com/business-operations/texas-deceptive-trade-practices-consumer-protection-act-dtpa.html

23.The failure to disclose information concerning goods or services which was known at the time of the transaction if such failure to disclose such information was intended to induce the consumer into a transaction into which the consumer would not have entered had the information been disclosed;

seems like this will violate this .price was shown recurring at the time of purchase and changed manually with failure to disclose the information . This is known at the time of purchase as discount is still appearing at their site which will be increased at the time of term end .
    I quit for now , If this is allowed in future , it should allowed be for everybody . This is it .

Thanked by 2nullnothere joepie91
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:
    This thread could only be topped off by someone getting internet sued.

Sorry sir you're going to court.

• gisadik said: That WAS the planned price at the time of signup. When our costs go up, we pass through increased costs on renewals. Simple :). Need long term price lock in? Pay for a longer term.

Fair enough.

If costs have gone up, forcing a price rise, how are you able to offer the original discounted price to new customers today?

• quickquick Member
    edited January 2018

Wow. I am on a month to month plan with them. I hate hosts with attitude.

Paid until end of feb.

Looking for a refugee offer with a US host, with boxes located at east coast.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

quick said: Looking for a refugee offer with a US host, with boxes located at east coast.

Go with @Awmusic12635. Same DC, no price increases.

• @brueggus said:

quick said: Looking for a refugee offer with a US host, with boxes located at east coast.

AFAIK ovz? :(

edited January 2018

In case anyone wondered, default promotion code setup in whmcs:

You have to manually tick that for recurring offers, if you don't then the price is only locked in for the term you select during checkout and the recurring price for the anniversary of the product.

If you do tick it then the customer is offered a recurring price, this directly contradicts what the rep is saying.

bait and switch hidden in terms, literally no doubt.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@quick said:

@brueggus said:

AFAIK ovz? :(

Thanked by 1quick
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@hostdare Dont armchair lawyer please! Because it is disclosed in the TOS or AUP. So they beat that claim!

• @gisadik said:

That WAS the planned price at the time of signup. When our costs go up, we pass through increased costs on renewals. Simple :). Need long term price lock in? Pay for a longer term.

Nope! Simple would be not behaving like a jumped up prick. I suspect you had no intention of renewing this at the one year price despite claiming at the point of sale that the annual price was a recurring price. If that was the case it would be a bait and switch.

If you or your colleague were interested in diffusing things even slightly you wouldn't be continuing along this current path, being rude and condescending to @AnthonySmith and also showing a complete lack of insight into how your actions are viewed. How difficult would it be to admit that it would have been more acceptable to email out to explain price increases rather giving the impression that you're trying to sneak them in under the radar, or worse had no intention of maintaining the sign up price?

Your business ethics suck and I'm glad I am not a customer of yours!

edited January 2018

PieNotEvenEaten said: Because it is disclosed in the TOS or AUP. So they beat that claim!

Terms is not above law of land . If anything in Terms conflicts with state and national laws , it is void in court for sure . I am not trying to be lawyer here . In fact , I am not .

• Pretty sure OP signed up from this 30% promocode , that I brought up in an info thread because I was surprised at the value : https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/109716/speedykvm-30-1-time-customer-coupon-all-products/p1

(the 1-time in that title referred to single use per customer) IIRC

Bottom of page1 is where the famous $48 1TB storage kvm was soft launched to LET. ( https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2141292/#Comment_2141292)

So technically they hadn't made an offer thread on LET.

I haven't read the offer rules lately. Does this fall in a gray area wrt March 2017 rules?

If so, we get what we deserve.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

brueggus said: Go with @Awmusic12635. Same DC, no price increases.

Thank you for the mention.

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith said:

jarland said: Am I missing something or was their last offer thread in 2016? I'm not holding any provider accountable for any offer that wasn't made as a discussion post in the offer forum. It's that unfair? I mean, unless they're scamming... As in selling a service and not providing it, running with the money, etc.

That's why I suggested locking the thread until that was established, personally, i would extend that to BF/CM or similar offers made on other threads but that is just me.

Since then though, they have been fairly transparent that they see nothing wrong with giving no notice of a massive price hike regardless of where the offer is posted, I do see that as a problem.

I also really do suspect that it was done to get rid of budget customers anyway though so either way mission accomplished :)

It's never okay (ethically, morally, on commonly agreeable grounds) to not provide notice, I just want to be clear that I don't see any fair action items here.

@vimalware said:
    Pretty sure OP signed up from this 30% promocode , that I brought up in an info thread because I was surprised at the value : https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/109716/speedykvm-30-1-time-customer-coupon-all-products/p1

(the 1-time in that title referred to single use per customer) IIRC

Bottom of page1 is where the famous $48 1TB storage kvm was soft launched to LET. ( https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2141292/#Comment_2141292)

So technically they hadn't made an offer thread on LET.

I haven't read the offer rules lately. Does this fall in a gray area wrt March 2017 rules?

If so, we get what we deserve.

Generally speaking we only get involved in offers posted as thread comments when it's "PM me for offer" (with no clear sign of who they represent), or when spam.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@hostdare Well your logic is flawed. Well you are saying they are being deceptive according to the law. Which they are not and are covered under the provision in their TOS for price changes. Which the user agrees to. I don't agree with the way they went about the price change.

• vimalware said: Pretty sure OP signed up from this 30% promocode , that I brought up in an info thread because I was surprised at the value : https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/109716/speedykvm-30-1-time-customer-coupon-all-products/p1

Right, so.

That offer refers to a recurring 30% discount off any plan.

The plan the OP has now goes for $80.

The OP was offered renewal at $36, well over a 30% discount off the current price of the plan.

Nekki said: That offer refers to a recurring 30% discount off any plan.

The plan the OP has now goes for $80.

The OP was offered renewal at $36, well over a 30% discount off the current price of the plan.

So in summary:

But it does not really matter, they don't post offers here, if they do this will be brought up if they are not explicit about their pricing.

/thread I guess.

edited January 2018

PieNotEvenEaten said: Well your logic is flawed. Well you are saying they are being deceptive according to the law. Which they are not and are covered under the provision in their TOS for price changes.

Contracts that are contrary to statute are considered void ( unless that texas rule law is fake ).

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    In case anyone wondered, default promotion code setup in whmcs:

You have to manually tick that for recurring offers, if you don't then the price is only locked in for the term you select during checkout and the recurring price for the anniversary of the product.

If you do tick it then the customer is offered a recurring price, this directly contradicts what the rep is saying.

bait and switch hidden in terms, literally no doubt.

What's your recommended method for passing on unexpected/unaccounted for cost increases?

A. Don't offer recurring/make the recurring a price that is affordable even if costs go up

B. If you've already offered recurring and have extra costs, stick to your original deal and make a loss

C. If you've already offered recurring and have extra costs, email the client about a price change

D. Cancel the service at the end of the billing period and "re-release" the products with the new pricing

or other?

Even if they were posting offers here we'd be, at best, having a conversation around defining how long a provider has to wait to adjust they're prices before receiving some kind of LET penalty. I highly doubt people would be on board with going back throughout our history and banning every provider that ever changed prices, because what people really care about there is intent. That's where mods and admins should be making judgement calls, tbh.

• @jarland said:
    Even if they were posting offers here we'd be, at best, having a conversation around defining how long a provider has to wait to adjust they're prices before receiving some kind of LET penalty. I highly doubt people would be on board with going back throughout our history and banning every provider that ever changed prices, because what people really care about there is intent. That's where mods and admins should be making judgement calls, tbh.

Imo recurring price for yearly means that you can at the very least get 2 years of service at that price. For monthly, 6 months minimum.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited January 2018

@jarland said:

That conversation would really have to define the specifics of the rules, which somewhat goes against the so-far simplicity of the rules, unless there was a really really easy way to just say, don't do recurring if you're going to change prices.

But that would change the LET market, no? From experience and observation the majority of LET buyers only like the recurring deals, we all know how people feel about one time/one month only deals. Is it possible it would have a negative impact to have specific rules on recurring pricing?

@teamacc said:

@jarland said:

Imo recurring price for yearly means that you can at the very least get 2 years of service at that price. For monthly, 6 months minimum.

So let's add a new rule every time a mob forms and start holding training sessions with new providers who can't be expected to read the rules as they continually grow.

Anyone interested in an unpaid training role?

;)

This discussion has been closed.