Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

speedykvm.com changed my recurring price without informing me - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

speedykvm.com changed my recurring price without informing me

Comments

• People would have ripped him apart and laughed him out of LET if it was advertised as a one time sale. Advertising it as recurring but changing the pricing afterwards to its real pricing is fine not to mention the fact of not informing the client of a change in contract. Loving the double standards of some people here.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

supermarket analogy is invalid here as do not show you recurring price . Recurring means recurring . nothing more .

even DC mentions clearly % increase after contract ends or at least mentions that after contract end price may change . But here almost nothing is mentioned and on top , not even told the customer before changing the price silently .

• @angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@brueggus said:

Nekki said:

Why did the OP have reason to believe that the price was never going to change?

What's your definition of a recurring discount?

Where was that term used?

Maybe take another look at the welcome email posted by the OP above.

I did mate. Recurring amount does not equal a recurring discount. Two very different things.

I actually didn't use the term recurring discount (that was @brueggus).

But you quoted him and didn’t correct anything, so you pretty much did.

My first point was that a welcome email with a recurring price (= recurring amount) sets up an expectation in the mind of a customer.

An expectation, yes. No more than that. Wouldn’t you say that a year is quite a long time, and that expectations should be be tempered somewhat?

My second point is that this is where the biscuit analogy breaks down, because the supermarket did not send a welcome email (or post a paper notice) indicating that the sale price of the biscuits was recurring, hence no analogous expectation was set up in the mind of the customer.

The very nature of a ‘sale’ is that it is something below the norm, and it does not preclude a price increase. If anything it’s a clear indicator that the price will increase at some point.

A 30% discount for the biscuits may well be for life, but that doesn’t mean that the price of the biscuits won’t increase.

• LeeLee Veteran

dbman said: when I look it under the microscope I am shocked to see that they are not lines but instead read "don't believe on whatever is written on the front.

So the moral of this story then is that you're an idiot. I don't believe you walk through life signing up to anything thinking the price cannot change on things you sign up to. But far to often in the hosting industry so many think its different.

• I wrote and asked them about locking in the 3 year data storage price and they casually told me no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Figured they weren't the right provider for me. Last thing i want is to move all my cold storage data backup to their servers and have my price jacked up. Shame they looked like a good fit.

• @Tion said: Loving the double standards of some people here.

A few providers on LET are above all wrong doing as some of the most vocal people here are mostly either "ok" with them or probably colluding with them sometimes. Even the word "recurring" is being dissected for the purpose. Dictionary can go wrong but never this host.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

angstrom said:

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @sureiam said:
    I wrote and asked them about locking in the 3 year data storage price and they casually told me no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Figured they weren't the right provider for me. Last thing i want is to move all my cold storage data backup to their servers and have my price jacked up. Shame they looked like a good fit.

I wouldn’t trust any provider who would lock in a price ad infinitum.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • dbmandbman Member
    edited January 2018

@Lee said: So the moral of this story then is that you're an idiot.

If I was OP, I would have surely felt like an idiot who got played by the shrewd marketing of otherwise a rude & ethically bankrupt host (countless precedents).

• LeeLee Veteran

I see Incero much like an insurance company. Year one you get all the discounts, they charge you £100 for the service but come year two onward it will only ever be higher.

• Same here; from $11/y to $36/y. Thanks for the heads up, I guess.

• edited January 2018

The problem is not hosting/vps company not being able to adjust price. It is about notifying and having consistent communication/message. If you are doing promo, just say it is promo price, after the promo, it will be $XX. OP has a screen capture showing the recurring amount, but being charged differently assuming the vendor didn't notify OP the new price.
    Supermarket and biscuits? Come on, man. Stop victim blaming. When the same thing happens to you, what would you feel and think?
    OP should just move on, and find another provider if you think the price is too high..

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2018

@greattomeetyou said:
    The problem is not hosting/vps company not being able to adjust price. It is about notifying and having consistent communication/message. If you are doing promo, just say it is promo price, after the promo, it will be $XX. OP has a screen capture showing the recurring amount, but being charged differently assuming the vendor didn't notify OP the new price.

How do you know they didn’t intend to continue the promo, but circumstances didn’t dictate a change in policy? If this was a 1 month bait and switch, that’s one thing, but a year is a long time.

Op was notified, when he got his invoice, so he’s got time to move if he doesn’t like the price.

Supermarket and biscuits? Come on, man. Stop victim blaming. When the same thing happens to you, what would you feel and think?

I’m not blaming anyone, because no-one has done anything wrong.

When this happens to me (as it does all the time for my mobile/Internet/cable providers), I think the same thoughts I’ve just repeated.

OP should just move on, and find another provider if you think the price is too high..

• Thread title changed, moved to offtopic until other mods wake up.

What I see is that speedykvm indeed advertised a recurring price. They indeed have the right to change said price.

The fact that the "recurring" price was only an "initial" price makes it a bit iffy, but still legal.

The part where they did not send out an email informing their users of the price increase is a big mistake on their end imo. @speedykvm_ryan

• @Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@brueggus said:

Nekki said:

Why did the OP have reason to believe that the price was never going to change?

What's your definition of a recurring discount?

Where was that term used?

Maybe take another look at the welcome email posted by the OP above.

I did mate. Recurring amount does not equal a recurring discount. Two very different things.

But you quoted him and didn’t correct anything, so you pretty much did.

My first point was that a welcome email with a recurring price (= recurring amount) sets up an expectation in the mind of a customer.

An expectation, yes. No more than that. Wouldn’t you say that a year is quite a long time, and that expectations should be be tempered somewhat?

My second point is that this is where the biscuit analogy breaks down, because the supermarket did not send a welcome email (or post a paper notice) indicating that the sale price of the biscuits was recurring, hence no analogous expectation was set up in the mind of the customer.

The very nature of a ‘sale’ is that it is something below the norm, and it does not preclude a price increase. If anything it’s a clear indicator that the price will increase at some point.

A 30% discount for the biscuits may well be for life, but that doesn’t mean that the price of the biscuits won’t increase.

The setting up of expectations is the critical difference here.

But I give up if you'd prefer not to acknowledge this.

For the record, my point was never that speedykvm.com shouldn't be able to raise their prices, but rather that

• the welcoming email sets up an expectation of a recurring price; and

• it would be considerate if they announced a price increase before the bill for the next term arrives, because otherwise it comes as a surprise at the last minute (in view of the expectation set up by the welcoming email).

• @angstrom said:

The setting up of expectations is the critical difference here.

But I give up if you'd prefer not to acknowledge this.

Expectations are just that - expectations. Expectations need to be realistic and not slavishly tied to a year old invoice.

For the record, my point was never that speedykvm.com shouldn't be able to raise their prices, but rather that

• the welcoming email sets up an expectation of a recurring price; and

• it would be considerate if they announced a price increase before the bill for the next term arrives, because otherwise it comes as a surprise at the last minute (in view of the expectation set up by the welcoming email).

I don’t disagree.

But that was never what I was arguing against.

• LeeLee Veteran

teamacc said: moved to offtopic

Well ok then...

• @brueggus said:

angstrom said:

No need to hide!

In this particular instance, since the "recurring amount" in the welcoming email incorporates the initial discount, then insofar as the given amount is really recurring, the initial discount is by extension recurring. In other words, in this instance, the recurring amount is valid iff the initial discount continues to apply.

So I don't think that "recurring discount" is so wrong or misleading in this instance.

• dbmandbman Member
    edited January 2018

@teamacc said: Thread title changed, moved to offtopic

Exactly what I had been anticipating for past couple of hours. How dare anyone put bad light on such a wonderful host ;-)

I wish LET power bearers were so quick & damage-conscious about the negative reviews of some less resourceful hosts also.

• @dbman said:

@teamacc said: Thread title changed, moved to offtopic until other mods wake up.

Exactly what I had been anticipating for past couple of hours. How dare anyone put bad light on such a wonderful host ;-)

I wish LET power bearers were so quick & damage-concious about the negative reviews of some less resourceful hosts also.

Nope, there's been a request to move it to offtopic asap for further processing so other sites dont index it for all eternity. It'll be moved back eventually by (hopefully more experienced) mods.

• @teamacc said: Nope, there's been a request to move it to offtopic asap for further processing so other sites dont index it for all eternity.

Request by the host I guess?

• @Nekki said: Expectations are just that - expectations. Expectations need to be realistic and not slavishly tied to a year old invoice.

Oh, come on, we all know that in the context of LET, a "recurring amount" in a welcome email for a VPS paid for yearly sets up a realistic expectation that that will be the amount to pay a year later.

By comparison, in the context of LET, an unrealistic expectation would be "amount guaranteed not to change for 10 years" or "pay once for life".

Thanked by 1dyu
  • @dbman said:

@teamacc said: Nope, there's been a request to move it to offtopic asap for further processing so other sites dont index it for all eternity.

Request by the host I guess?

There was a request by a different host who was "incorrectly reviewed" (to put it mildly). Ever since that request came in there's been a request from @elliotj to all staff to put all negative reviews in offtopic for sorting-out. (this request was made 10h ago on discord, so well before this thread started)

• Did the host email on the change?

I would want 3mos notice too before migrating data.

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • If speedykvm.com doesn't announce price changes more in advance, it would be useful for people to be aware of this, and so it wouldn't seem right to hide this fact from the public view in Offtopic.

• @dbman said:

@Tion said: Loving the double standards of some people here.

A few providers on LET are above all wrong doing as some of the most vocal people here are mostly either "ok" with them or probably colluding with them sometimes. Even the word "recurring" is being dissected for the purpose. Dictionary can go wrong but never this host.

So many Gordon defenders, so little time.

Thanked by 2angstrom dyu
  • @angstrom said:
    If speedykvm.com doesn't announce price changes more in advance, it would be useful for people to be aware of this, and so it wouldn't seem right to hide this fact from the public view in Offtopic.

That is very fair, awaiting a response from @speedykvm_ryan or any other employee.

As said, the new "policy" is to move it to offtopic first, sort it out, then make it public again.

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited January 2018

teamacc said: As said, the new "policy" is to move it to offtopic first, sort it out, then make it public again.

Fair enough. Since you can't control the indexing of other sites.

That said; I don't see any outright wrongdoing here (I've been warned before starting service with SpeedyKVM).

I do wish that they'd email on price changes though. Would hate to only find out about my renewal price when I receive the renewing invoice.

• The recent Kimsufi DDoS fee increase comes to mind. Comparatively, they announced well in advance, and also gave customers a good window/chance to extend their plans with the current pricing before the new pricing kicked in. While the fee/increase in itself had a lot of debate, I personally think the manner in which they announced and gave an opportunity for everyone to plan accordingly was commendable.

Thanked by 2vimalware Yura
This discussion has been closed.