Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

speedykvm.com changed my recurring price without informing me - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

speedykvm.com changed my recurring price without informing me

Comments

• @angstrom said:

@Nekki said: Expectations are just that - expectations. Expectations need to be realistic and not slavishly tied to a year old invoice.

Oh, come on, we all know that in the context of LET, a "recurring amount" in a welcome email for a VPS paid for yearly sets up a realistic expectation that that will be the amount to pay a year later.

By comparison, in the context of LET, an unrealistic expectation would be "amount guaranteed not to change for 10 years" or "pay once for life".

I don’t accept that people should think in terms of LET logic when they purchase a VPS. People thinking like that is the cause of the vast majority of drama threads. If that’s the crux of your argument walk away now because I’m not accepting that, ever.

• @Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said: Expectations are just that - expectations. Expectations need to be realistic and not slavishly tied to a year old invoice.

Oh, come on, we all know that in the context of LET, a "recurring amount" in a welcome email for a VPS paid for yearly sets up a realistic expectation that that will be the amount to pay a year later.

By comparison, in the context of LET, an unrealistic expectation would be "amount guaranteed not to change for 10 years" or "pay once for life".

I don’t accept that people should think in terms of LET logic when they purchase a VPS. People thinking like that is the cause of the vast majority of drama threads. If that’s the crux of your argument walk away now because I’m not accepting that, ever.

I'm not sure what exactly "LET logic" is, but let's roll with it:

• I suspect that there's a comment that you've made somewhere on LET in which you say (in the context of a promotion) something to the effect that only recurring prices count/matter/are interesting/are attractive. (I owe you a drink if you've never said anything to this effect on LET.)

• If you did say something to this effect on LET, then you would have been following "LET logic", which you now apparently no longer accept.

• Given that you now no longer accept "LET logic" and assuming that you act consistently with your beliefs, you'll presumably never again make a comment on LET to the effect that only recurring prices count/matter/are interesting/are attractive.

(Anyway, I give up.)

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2018

And with the title change, there’s no reason for this to be off topic. It’s turned into a lively debate about ethics and expectation in the LE*.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think the only part of this that irritates me personally is that if it was bought via a LET offer, it should be recurring, those are the rules and that supersedes your own terms if you chose to post an offer here.

On yearly deals though, with enough notice, I think it is perfectly forgivable as long as the initial term is being honored.

• Accurate title? no notice? not even email?

vimalware said: Accurate title? no notice? not even email?

Invoices would have been sent 14 days in advance from WHMCS, seems the OP opened the ticket AFTER the due date though so I would say notice was given, understandable it was missed though if that notice was just a different invoice amount.

did anyone point out the offer link it was purchased from?

• @angstrom said:

I'm not sure what exactly "LET logic" is, but let's roll with

Call it LET context then, to use your terms.

• I suspect that there's a comment that you've made somewhere on LET in which you say (in the context of a promotion) something to the effect that only recurring prices count/matter/are interesting/are attractive. (I owe you a drink if you've never said anything to this effect on LET.)

I definitely have during Black Friday deal threads when one-off discounts were mentioned.

• If you did say something to this effect on LET, then you would have been following "LET logic", which you now apparently no longer accept.

Nonsense. Requesting recurring discounts on deals in favour of one-off discounts does not equal a belief that discounts are forever.

• Given that you now no longer accept "LET logic" and assuming that you act consistently with your beliefs, you'll presumably never again make a comment on LET to the effect that only recurring prices count/matter/are interesting/are attractive.

That’s a really simplistic way of thinking.

If you expect me to express the entirety of my thoughts on a given subject in detail during CAPS RAGE MODE then you too have unrealistic expectations.

I have had a look at their previous offers, discounts are recurring so the only viable excuse for raising prices with no notice here is that they actually did give notice and the OP just ignored the email.

If that is not the case, this is a bait and switch, they should be banned from listing yearly offers.

• It also bothers me that they are still selling new plans for "low" prices, and nowhere say something about the actual recurring prices (which are at least twice as high). I bought the $15/y plan, which will now be $18/y if ordered today, but somehow my next bill will be more than $36/y...

Thanked by 1LjL
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2018

This is the normal Incero Brand fuckery. Let the asshats in this thread stick up for them, but this is a recurrent theme with Incero and has been warned about here many times. However, I can see how customers get confused when the users with the highest participation here both promote them and then when someone comes here after being fucked around by them they all team up and tell them they are stupid for not expecting to be fucked around. If you guys know this will happen, STOP SUGGESTING THEIR SERVICES TO PEOPLE.

Customers shouldn't have to expect that their hosts will fuck them on renewals, in fact a good host should be e-mailing, asking about the service and how it works for the customer and then informing them in advance of a price change while also offering alternatives for them that might allow them to retain a lower level of service that meets their budget. Just doubling the price of a service without notice and expecting the customer to have the the budget to pay the extra cost is more so extortion than it is service. "By the way, glad you enjoyed being our customer but we don't give a fuck about you so either pay double or fuck off!" That is exactly what this reads like and what should be taken away from it.

Again, to all those reading, AVOID INCERO BRANDED SERVICES AS THEY ARE ALL LIKE THIS. This is NOT NEW and is how they think customers should be treated, so for the love of all things good, stop buying their services and then expecting a locked in price, they will always come back to fuck you in the end.

@teamacc additionally this should be moved back out of offtopic and you should place the title back, just because Incero is some brand you guys like here doesn't mean it should get mafia protection against bad reviews and I don't think that LET should support hosts who can't be bothered to respect their client enough to communicate with them in advance about price changes and set accurate expectations.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• TheLinuxBug said: This is the normal Incero Brand fuckery. Let the asshats in this thread stick up for them, but this is a recurrent theme with Incero and has been warned about here many times. However, I can see how customers get confused when the users with the highest participation here both promote them and then when someone comes here after being fucked around by them they all team up and tell them they are stupid for not expecting to be fucked around. If you guys know this will happen, STOP SUGGESTING THEIR SERVICES TO PEOPLE.

Customers shouldn't have to expect that their hosts will fuck them on renewals, in fact a good host should be e-mailing, asking about the service and how it works for the customer and then informing them in advance of a price change while also offering alternatives for them that might allow them to retain a lower level of service that meets their budget. Just doubling the price of a service without notice and expecting the customer to have the the budget to pay the extra cost is more so extortion than it is service. "By the way, glad you enjoyed being our customer but we don't give a fuck about you so either pay double or fuck off!" That is exactly what this reads like and what should be taken away from it.

Again, to all those reading, AVOID INCERO BRANDED SERVICES AS THEY ARE ALL LIKE THIS. This is NOT NEW and is how they think customers should be treated, so for the love of all things good, stop buying their services and then expecting a locked in price, they will always come back to fuck you in the end.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

So in a word, 'Wabled'?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dbman said:

@teamacc said: Thread title changed, moved to offtopic

Exactly what I had been anticipating for past couple of hours. How dare anyone put bad light on such a wonderful host ;-)

I wish LET power bearers were so quick & damage-conscious about the negative reviews of some less resourceful hosts also.

Which ones?

@TheLinuxBug said:
    This is the normal Incero Brand fuckery. Let the asshats in this thread stick up for them, but this is a recurrent theme with Incero and has been warned about here many times. However, I can see how customers get confused when the users with the highest participation here both promote them and then when someone comes here after being fucked around by them they all team up and tell them they are stupid for not expecting to be fucked around. If you guys know this will happen, STOP SUGGESTING THEIR SERVICES TO PEOPLE.

@teamacc additionally this should be moved back out of offtopic and you should place the name back, just because Incero is some brand you guys like here doesn't mean it should get mafia protection against bad reviews and I don't think that LET should support hosts who can't be bothered to respect their client enough to communicate with them in advance about price changes and set accurate expectations.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I miss the masturbation references to be honest, they did make the broken record posts a bit more hilarious. We all get it, you hate Gordon so much that if harm should ever come to him we should send the police to your house first. Meanwhile the conspiracy continues, the rest of us are "jacking off to the profits" of shilling or something.

• dyudyu Member

@TheLinuxBug said:

This is the normal Incero Brand fuckery. Let the asshats in this thread stick up for them, but this is a recurrent theme with Incero and has been warned about here many times.

You mean asshat (singular). I don't see anyone else defending them.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2018

jarland said: I miss the masturbation references to be honest, they did make the broken record posts a bit more hilarious. We all get it, you hate Gordon so much that if harm should ever come to him we should send the police to your house first. Meanwhile the conspiracy continues, the rest of us are "jacking off to the profits" of shilling or something.

I don't hate Gordon, I hate his business practices and find them to be very dishonest to his customers. The fact you and others here don't see this as dishonest and continue to berate those who call them out for this type of business practice is a bit more than distasteful. If this was a one time occurrence and not a recurring theme then I wouldn't be here, but the fact people here like to pretend this is perfectly 'Okay' to do to customers requires that someone who isn't friends with the owners and workers there step up and call them out. It seems that has to be me each time, otherwise you guys just try to bury things (like the fact this is now offtopic and you change the users OP title) and pretend its not an issue. It is an issue and it sets bad expectations for those who come to LET and trust the recommendations given here if no one takes the time to step up and tell it like it is.

If they can't be bothered to work with their customers in an honest way and set the correct expectations for their customers, then they shouldn't be allowed to sell there wares here on LET and pretend to be a low end host. They should stick to the markets where the people purchasing their services will actually be able to renew if the price is doubled unexpectedly, that surely isn't user from third world countries or younger people who are just starting out in the tech industry and are spending their allowance or meager budgets on servers to learn with.

sigh

Cheers!

@dyu said:
    @TheLinuxBug said:

This is the normal Incero Brand fuckery. Let the asshats in this thread stick up for them, but this is a recurrent theme with Incero and has been warned about here many times.

Have to include me as well, default assumption.

• @jarland said: Which ones?

You need example? Lets pick the first entry from reviews. "Stay away from VPSlices". The OP has called it a scam (which it may or may not be). Host is yet to come up there. It wasn't moved to offtopic, nor was its title changed to mute the negative PR.

@TheLinuxBug said:

jarland said: I miss the masturbation references to be honest, they did make the broken record posts a bit more hilarious. We all get it, you hate Gordon so much that if harm should ever come to him we should send the police to your house first. Meanwhile the conspiracy continues, the rest of us are "jacking off to the profits" of shilling or something.

I don't hate Gordon, I hate his business practices and find them to be very dishonest to his customers. The fact you and others here don't see this as dishonest and continue to berate those who call them out for this type of business practice is a bit more than distasteful. If this was a one time occurrence and not a recurring theme then I wouldn't be here, but the fact people here like to pretend this is perfectly 'Okay' to do to customers requires that someone who isn't friends with the owners and workers there step up and call them out. It seems that has to be me each time, otherwise you guys just try to bury things (like the fact this is now offtopic and you change the users OP title) and pretend its not an issue. It is an issue and it sets bad expectations for those who come to LET and trust the recommendations given here if no one takes the time to step up and tell it like it is.

If they can't be bothered to work with their customers in an honest way and set the correct expectations for their customers, then they shouldn't be allowed to sell there wares here on LET and pretend to be a low end host. They should stick to the markets where the people purchasing their services will actually be able to renew if the price is doubled unexpectedly, that surely isn't user from third world countries or younger people who are just starting out in the tech industry and are spending their allowance or meager budgets on servers to learn with.

sigh

Cheers!

I'm not even speaking about the subject matter, I just love how dramatic you get about incero.

@dbman said:

@jarland said: Which ones?

You need example? Lets pick the first entry from reviews. "Stay away from VPSlices". The OP has called it a scam (which it may or may not be). Host is yet to come up there. It wasn't moved to offtopic, nor was its title changed to mute the negative PR.

I mean, I'm waking up and have a meeting in 20m. You can't expect everything to receive equal treatment with 0ms latency at all hours.

• @Nekki said:

@sureiam said:
    I wrote and asked them about locking in the 3 year data storage price and they casually told me no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Figured they weren't the right provider for me. Last thing i want is to move all my cold storage data backup to their servers and have my price jacked up. Shame they looked like a good fit.

I wouldn’t trust any provider who would lock in a price ad infinitum.

Perhaps although if I wrote a provider and asked for one more locked in term for my cold storage i assume they would consider it. I think they are looking to over sell though and perhaps cold storage isn't their desired clientele

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited January 2018

teamacc said: @dbman said:

@teamacc said: Nope, there's been a request to move it to offtopic asap for further processing so other sites dont index it for all eternity.

Request by the host I guess?

There was a request by a different host who was "incorrectly reviewed" (to put it mildly). Ever since that request came in there's been a request from @elliotj to all staff to put all negative reviews in offtopic for sorting-out. (this request was made 10h ago on discord, so well before this thread started)

Yeap - Off-topic means that Google can't index the thread, however a few sites scrape content, once that's been done it's out of our control and not exactly easy to get removed.
    Idea is that if there's a bit of doubt although discussion should continue, death by SEO should be delayed for a while.

This is an odd one - The renewal date, to be fair, is around 3 months away so there's ample time for OP to consider either coughing up the extra cash or walk away. Furthermore, SpeedyKVM's ToS does explicitly state that prices are subject to change without notice, as @Muffin pointed out.

I appreciate it's a bit shitty to be faced with a bill double what you're expecting but I don't see what SpeedyKVM have done that's 'wrong'.

• @jarland said: You can't expect everything to receive equal treatment

That is exactly what I am pointing at. It wasn't you who changed the category & title of this thread though you would have done the same. The other mod didn't bother about review topics but chose to act swiftly in this particular case. Its nothing new or unexpected. Incero gets to enjoy this protection all the time.

Thanked by 2geekalot Yura
    edited January 2018

@dbman said:

@jarland said: You can't expect everything to receive equal treatment

That is exactly what I am pointing at. It wasn't you who changed the category & title of this thread though you would have done the same. The other mod didn't bother about review topics but chose to act swiftly in this particular case. Its nothing new or unexpected. Incero gets to enjoy this protection all the time.

You intentionally cut off the rest of that sentence in a way that reframed my words to match the conclusion you're trying to draw. Two threads posted at different times are not guaranteed to be in equal state of treatment at any given hour because we have a diverse team and we all sleep, eat, etc. The other thread deserves similar treatment, it has it. If you think we're letting a provider get a bad reputation here without justification, point me to it.

That a newer thread might exist that hadn't yet been looked at is not evidence of anything but latency.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@dbman So who killed jfk?

• edited January 2018

Just curious, which other vendors are "rebrands" of Incero?
    Is it just speedykvm?

• @dyu said:
    @TheLinuxBug said:

No-one’s defending Incero.

I’m defending a principle.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited January 2018

@dbman said:

@jarland said: You can't expect everything to receive equal treatment

I did actually review the other topics. The x3host one has been a back-and-forward refund discussion in their latest offer thread, so a complaint about their refund not going through, combined with their shady history, but without any outrageous claims, and with proper usage of the english language.

The vpslices one actually included a screenshot of a paid invoice for another 6-7 months worth of service and, again, has proper english to prevent any misunderstandings.

This thread had a "this provider is scam" sort of title, with the OP being written in google translate, so details were very vague. Also keep in mind that the first line of this OP was actually the initial title that I changed.

• @ElliotJ said: death by SEO should be delayed for a while.

It should be delayed for all then.

This is an odd one - The renewal date, to be fair, is around 3 months away so there's ample time for OP to consider either coughing up the extra cash or walk away. Furthermore, SpeedyKVM's ToS does explicitly state that prices are subject to change without notice, as @Muffin pointed out.

I appreciate it's a bit shitty to be faced with a bill double what you're expecting but I don't see what SpeedyKVM have done that's 'wrong'.

When I read this, I see it as another attempt to just tone down the grievance of OP and general shittiness of host in question here. Like how few here subtely summarize everything into one word "wabled" which is also a way to subdue the actual distaste of this host's attitude & business policies. And it looks like he isn't alone in this. After seeing this thread, few others have also pointed out that their recurring price was changed w/o notice.

edited January 2018

dbman said: When I read this, I see it as another attempt to just tone down the grievance of OP and general shittiness of host in question here. Like how few here subtely summarize everything into one word "wabled" which is also a way to subdue the actual distaste of this host's attitude & business policies. And it looks like he isn't alone in this. After seeing this thread, few others have also pointed out that their recurring price was changed w/o notice.

Maybe you're not as aware of historical context on some things being a bit new, and that's understandable. Take Incero for instance, a company that has frequently received both fair and unfair negative reviews here to a reasonably high degree. Take x3host for example, a company that has repeatedly changed it's name to dump a bad reputation but have stuck to the rules just enough that none of us feel like it's "fair" to ban them.

There's a lot of history here and yeah, it can impact how we see things up front too. Context is important.

On the "wabled" thing I think that's just being oversensitive ;)

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    I have had a look at their previous offers, discounts are recurring so the only viable excuse for raising prices with no notice here is that they actually did give notice and the OP just ignored the email.

If that is not the case, this is a bait and switch, they should be banned from listing yearly offers.

My price for renewal went from $31.50 to $108.12 USD. There was no notice - I've checked my emails and my email history in WHMCS. If I would buy the same plan for the same period today, I'd pay $36.

From my experience, most providers send an email when they adjust their prices. And I'm fine with that. It's a way to show respect to your customers. Those providers who don't are usually the kind of providers one can well do without.

Thanked by 1LjL
  • @teamacc said: This thread had a "this provider is scam" sort of title, with the OP being written in google translate, so details were very vague. Also keep in mind that the first line of this OP was actually the initial title that I changed.

I am glad that you atleast put it somewhere for the users to read. The OP seems to be from China and will probably never return to this discussion due to his limited or no understaning of English. Having said that, he also posted screenshots and just a look at them made it clear to me what the issue is. I did not have to read that translation. Anyways it was already a lost cause for him even before he posted this thread due to the amount of defence this host gets here. So much so that one may end up believing that he should worship Gordon for getting wabled.

@angstrom said: (Anyway, I give up.)

I also give up.

Thanked by 2geekalot maverickp
This discussion has been closed.