Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

speedykvm.com changed my recurring price without informing me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

speedykvm.com changed my recurring price without informing me

xx2008xx2008 Member
edited January 2018 in General

Translation provided by @caracal

I bought this VPS on 30% discount in March - it has been idling since. However, when I logged in these few days, I noted that the recurring price has been increased. After putting in a ticket, I got notified that they have increased my recurring prices.

This is just too casual, too ridiculous. I originally pay USD16.8 and it immediately increased to USD36.12.

I haven't even finished using a year on this annual payment service, they already don't recognise my original recurring prices. Why didn't SpeedyKVM originally note that this is just a promotion for one year.. a one-time promotion?"

之前7折购买的speedykvm,买来没有使用,一直在吃灰,这几天打开一看续费价格上涨了,tk后被告知价格上调了。

这调的也太随意,太离谱了吧。16.8美元的Recurring直接给上调到36.12美元了。

年付的账单,一年时间没用到头,当初的Recurring就不承认了,那为什么当时不写成一年优惠,或者一次性优惠呢?

Comments

• YES WE ALL KNOW HOW GOOGLE TRANSLATE WORKS. THANKS FOR ASKING!

Thanked by 1pike
  • bapbap Member

Hi Cai Xing! :)

• muffinmuffin Member
    edited January 2018

Their TOS :

Pricing, Quotes, & Offers Subject To Change Without Notice

But well, that’s such a bad term... I guess it’s important to read tos every time. I’d definitely stay away from this. Imagine your important files were there, and tomorrow is the due date of the billing... and even worse, they don’t notify at all?

Thanked by 1bersy
  • caracalcaracal Member
    edited January 2018

The Google translated text was so "far from it" for my liking.

Here's my translated version:

"I bought this VPS on 30% discount in March - it has been idling since. However, when I logged in these few days, I noted that the recurring price has been increased. After putting in a ticket, I got notified that they have increased my recurring prices.

This is just too casual, too ridiculous. I originally pay USD16.8 and it immediately increased to USD36.12.

I haven't even finished using a year on this annual payment service, they already don't recognise my original recurring prices. Why didn't SpeedyKVM originally note that this is just a promotion for one year.. a one-time promotion?"

P.S. "Eating ash" is a term refers to how you'd leave your cigarettes on an ash tray (and the ash just collects there) instead of smoking 'em. Perfect analogy for my many VPSes.

• dbmandbman Member
    edited January 2018

@doghouch said:
    YES WE ALL KNOW HOW GOOGLE TRANSLATE WORKS. THANKS FOR ASKING!

You don't even need to read that translation. The screenshots he has provided are clear enough. @xx2008 SpeedyKVM/Wable/Incero are known for this bullshit.

• Poll not found

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 2018

Wow, true story... Just had a quick look at my Client Area:

First Payment Amount $31.50 USD Recurring Amount $108.12 USD

We had a long discussion about silent price increases some time ago (was it North Hosts / Piohost?). I still think providers should send out a message before changing renewal prices.

E: Here we go: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/111333/northhosts-fails-to-return-hardware-or-emails/p1

Money quote:

northhosts said: Don't ever, ever compare me to GVH, one big difference here

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2018

A recurring amount listed on an invoice is not a commitment.

Sucks for you that they put pricing up, and yeah, it’s not SOP for the LE* market, but they’ve not lied nor cheated anyone.

If the service isn’t worth $36 a year (which I doubt is true), just cancel and move on.

Folks should remember that Incero normally tell you when there’s a pricing lock-in. Again, not SOP for LE*, but Gordon’s always done whatever he wants.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Cannibals eating your like an ash how dare that is no % scam, why do uni want?

• Pot was just legalized in California a few days ago, and already we're seeing the effect reach LET.

@willie said:
    Pot was just legalized in California a few days ago, and already we're seeing the effect reach LET.

At a state level, then some nobler decided to rescind obamas memo so it's both legal and illegal at the same time now lol... America how united you are.

• dbmandbman Member
    edited January 2018

@Nekki said: not SOP for LE*, but Gordon’s always done whatever he wants.

The SOP for this particular host seems to be:

1. Do a promo offering lucrative recurring prices (little to no profit).
    2. Increase prices.
    3. Due to hassles of migration a few will fall in line & start paying 2-5X price.
    4. A little to no-profit service starts making profit now.
    5. Rest will just cancel & move-on.
    6. Space freed for another lucrative promo.
    7. Go to step 1.
    Thanked by 1geekalot

Could be worse, could be pay for a year, get a month, don't get a refund or service after the first month, move on.

• @dbman said:

@Nekki said: not SOP for LE*, but Gordon’s always done whatever he wants.

The SOP of this particular host seems to be:

1. Do a promo offering lucrative recurring prices (little to no profit).
    2. Increase prices.
    3. Due to hassles of migration a few will fall in line & start paying 2-5X price.
    4. A little to no-profit service starts making profit now.
    5. Rest will just cancel & move-on.
    6. Space freed for another lucrative promo.
    7. Go to step 1.

A bit like when a supermarket starts selling biscuits half-price to get you in, then put up the prices after a month but you carry on shopping there because you’ve got used to going there now and what the hell, the cheese selection is actually quite good?

• edited January 2018

**No Nonsense, Just Speedy KVM Servers **

move on.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

even serverhand tried to do the similar , he was labelled scamster overall , though he did before term end which is his mistake ..

• @Nekki said: A bit like when a supermarket starts selling biscuits half-price to get you in, then put up the prices after a month but you carry on shopping there because you’ve got used to going there now and what the hell, the cheese selection is actually quite good?

I will be very annoyed if the supermarket stops selling me those biscuits at half the price, tells me to buy at full price in advance for a year (even after advertising that I can continue to buy them at half the price) and when I do that (in order to avoid driving to a store farby which is still selling biscuits cheaper than this supermarket), puts a banner outside next day showing biscuits at one third of the price. Now that I have those costly biscuits stocked up for whole of the year, I am disgruntled that the supermarket has looted me.

Thanked by 2brueggus geekalot
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2018

@muffin said:
    Their TOS :

Pricing, Quotes, & Offers Subject To Change Without Notice

But well, that’s such a bad term... I guess it’s important to read tos every time. I’d definitely stay away from this. Imagine your important files were there, and tomorrow is the due date of the billing... and even worse, they don’t notify at all?

speedykvm.com's TOS are known to be controversial. Look at how much it would cost to change the email address of your account with them. And yeah, it would be nice if they gave advanced notice of a pricing change, but heck, this is also why people like them.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2018

@willie said:
    Pot was just legalized in California a few days ago, and already we're seeing the effect reach LET.

Oh please, Kathleen Wynne (our Premier) thought that it would be a great idea to sell pot inside of existing liquor stores... you’d THINK that it would be a bad idea, but she did eventually pass the bill.

• dbman said: I will be very annoyed if the supermarket stops selling me those biscuits at half the price, tells me to buy at full price in advance for a year (even after advertising that I can continue to buy them at half the price)

You weren't told anything. The sale ended, and the supermarket put the price of the biscuits up. At that point you're making a judgement as to whether the biscuits represent value for money at the new price. At no point did the supermarket tell you that the discounted price would be the price forever.

dbman said: and when I do that (in order to avoid driving to a store farby which is still selling biscuits cheaper than this supermarket), puts a banner outside next day showing biscuits at one third of the price.

Of course, the biscuits would go on sale - if they were on sale before, wouldn't they go on sale later. The fact that they went on sale after you paid the higher price surely doesn't matter, as you paid the full price because you felt the biscuits were worth it.

dbman said: Now that I have those costly biscuits stocked up for whole of the year, I am disgruntled that the supermarket has looted me.

Neither of those things have happened because:

A) You were not forced into buying the full price biscuits. You chose to pay full price, either because you felt they were value for money, or because you felt the value was there in not having to drive to the other supermarket (and because of the great cheese selection) or find a new variety of cheaper biscuit. If you bought the biscuits even though you were thinking they were too costly, you're not very bright.

B) The supermarket has not looted you. You willingly paid the price of the biscuits. You knew they could go on sale again, but to maintain your biscuit supply for the year, you paid the asking price at the time.

IMO, you seem to be unhappy because you a) feel like you were made to do something and b) that the value of an item is directly proportionate to any discounted price it may be sold at. I don't feel either of these points reflect reality.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2018

@Nekki: The biscuit analogy breaks down on one point. The OP had reason to believe that the pricing for the VPS was recurrent, given that it was so indicated in his/her welcome email. The supermarket didn't send a welcome email (or post a paper notice) indicating that the sale price for the biscuits was recurrent.

Thanked by 3geekalot maverickp Yura
  • @angstrom said:
    @Nekki: The biscuit analogy breaks down on one point. The OP had reason to believe that the pricing for the VPS was recurrent, given that it was so indicated in his/her welcome email. The supermarket didn't send a welcome email (or post a paper notice) indicating that the sale price for the biscuits was recurrent.

Why did the OP have reason to believe that the price was never going to change?

Genrally, folks don’t hold that mindset for any other product or service, that I’m aware of.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Nekki said:

What's your definition of a recurring discount?

• @brueggus said:

Nekki said:

Where was that term used?

• @Nekki said:

@brueggus said:

Nekki said:

Maybe take another look at the welcome email posted by the OP above.

Thanked by 1LjL
  • LeeLee Veteran

brueggus said: What's your definition of a recurring discount?

"recurring payment" is not a "recurring discount". Nowhere in the screenshots do I see a promise of a recurring discount or locked in price.

At the time the OP took out the plan the price was x and the recurring payment in a years time would also be x, however if they change that to y part way through there is nothing wrong with that.

You have the option to not renew, they are not forcing a change to your current agreement or asking you to pay it before the currently agreed term expires.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@brueggus said:

Nekki said:

I did mate. Recurring amount does not equal a recurring discount. Two very different things.

• dbmandbman Member
    edited January 2018

@Nekki said: You weren't told anything.

I was. The leaflet clearly said if I pay in lumpsum & buy for whole year, I can continue to buy at half the price next year also. Which is exactly why I paid in full as it was relaxing to know that I don't have to visit the market every month and getting a good recurring discount also every year. The back side of leaflet had a thin stripped look. I thought its just a design but now when I look it under the microscope I am shocked to see that they are not lines but instead read "don't believe on whatever is written on the front."

• @dbman said:

@Nekki said: You weren't told anything.

I was. The leaflet clearly said if I pay in lumpsum & buy for whole year, I can continue to buy at half the price next year also. Which is exactly why I paid in full as it was relaxing to know that I don't have to visit the market every month and getting a good recurring discount also every year. The back side of leaflet had a thin stripped look. I thought its just a design but now when I look it under the microscope I am shocked to see that they are not lines but instead read "don't believe on whatever is written in the front."

You said you were ‘told to buy’.

You were not ‘told’. You were made an offer, you accepted.

Also, a recurring amount listed on an invoice is not a guarantee, not a commitment. It is simply a reflection of the pricing at that point in time.

• @Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@brueggus said:

Nekki said:

I did mate. Recurring amount does not equal a recurring discount. Two very different things.

I actually didn't use the term recurring discount (that was @brueggus).

My first point was that a welcome email with a recurring price (= recurring amount) sets up an expectation in the mind of a customer.

My second point is that this is where the biscuit analogy breaks down, because the supermarket did not send a welcome email (or post a paper notice) indicating that the sale price of the biscuits was recurring, hence no analogous expectation was set up in the mind of the customer.

Thanked by 1hostdare
This discussion has been closed.