Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    @painfreepc You really need a nice managed CPanel.

I'm kind of pissed at @Dacentec today. I paid my invoice, and got hit again a week later to "top off" my account balance. If I knew I had to perpetually have $50 out on this bastard, I doubt I would have kept it. $25? Fine. Don't withhold my funds for the next month automatically because I had no express way to say "No".

Can you please open a ticket with your invoice number? There's no reason that another invoice would have generated until the billing cycle rolls around so I'd like to look into your issue.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:

I replied to them that they've quoted me the double of what I was paying for, and that's sort of achievable with other existing DC's. So no more fuss, they just cancelled the server and didn't reply back.
    I was hoping that they'd work at least to keep me as a customer but I don't think I'm worth to them :p

Our apologies, it looks like the system auto closed your ticket. We value every client, no matter the budget or what they are paying. I reviewed that last ticket and it looks like we didn't get a response on one of our questions. I'll reopen the ticket for you.

• @dacentec said:

I'm kind of pissed at @Dacentec today. I paid my invoice, and got hit again a week later to "top off" my account balance. If I knew I had to perpetually have $50 out on this bastard, I doubt I would have kept it. $25? Fine. Don't withhold my funds for the next month automatically because I had no express way to say "No".

Can you please open a ticket with your invoice number? There's no reason that another invoice would have generated until the billing cycle rolls around so I'd like to look into your issue.

I looked into it. It's not your fault. I agreed to a 30 day rolling bill, but received my invoice a week early, and paid it out of reflex, so you're sitting on $25 for now. I'll probably use it at some point. :)

• It seems restocked.. but now I'm afraid to place an order.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

Urge to spend $25 credit raising.. but do I need to similar-spec hardware in same datacenter?

Edit: Price on bandwidth went up. 20TB used to be +$5. Now it's +$10.

Maybe I was thinking of the 100Mbit that was/still is +$5. That's about 32TB (max)/mo. Should be worth it. Think I may upgrade to 100Mbit for an extra fiver. Also, what the hell is the Opteron 1355?

• I finally got one of the damn things.

Thanked by 1atrava
  • You’re all welcome. Mine went back into the pool last night. I treated’em real respectable-like.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Nekki said:
    You’re all welcome. Mine went back into the pool last night. I treated’em real respectable-like.

I'm surprised they were able to clean off all the sticky residue in less than 24 hours.

• @MasonR said:

@Nekki said:
    You’re all welcome. Mine went back into the pool last night. I treated’em real respectable-like.

I'm surprised they were able to clean off all the sticky residue in less than 24 hours.

In this instance at least, I was a true gent.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited September 2017

Yes, it is back in-stock at the moment. $25/mo for Opteron 1385, 8GB RAM, 2x2TB and 4x1TB disks. I installed CentOS 6, software RAID-1 (mirroring) on the 2TB disks, and RAID-5 (distributed parity) on the 1TB disks. Note that RAID-5 slows writes because the CPU computes parity, but the CPU can handle it. Otherwise, it's a decent performing dedicated server with plenty of RAM, huge bandwidth, and lots of space for backups/storage. If you happen to get an Opteron 1385 while available, its CPU bench score of 3,442 (total across 4 cores) is really good for a bargain server.

Btw, they can give a /29 IPv4 on signup if you can justify it.

• @jon617 said:

;-)

• I am running CentOS 6,
    RAID1 sda and sdb

RAID6 sdc, sdd, sde, sdf,

Vestacp and Webmin

all is running well, if not on same data center I would get another..

• Why are you using RAID6? You know the CPUs in these beasts are not very strong- you're adding massive CPU overhead, whereas RAID10 would be a bit faster and not peg the CPU. Of course, if you're just running it as a storage-only, RAID6 may make sense for you- I'm just curious.

They had a couple 1386s listed earlier today, and I briefly thought I'd get one, but then decided I'd just keep 3 KS-3Cs, instead.

• @WSS said:
    Why are you using RAID6? You know the CPUs in these beasts are not very strong- you're adding massive CPU overhead, whereas RAID10 would be a bit faster and not peg the CPU. Of course, if you're just running it as a storage-only, RAID6 may make sense for you- I'm just curious.

They had a couple 1386s listed earlier today, and I briefly thought I'd get one, but then decided I'd just keep 3 KS-3Cs, instead.

I switch to raid 10

Personalities : [raid1] [raid10]
    md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
          255936 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid10 sdf1[3] sdc1[0] sdd1[1] sde1[2]
          1953259520 blocks super 1.2 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]
          bitmap: 0/15 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
          1953126208 blocks super 1.1 [2/2] [UU]
          bitmap: 3/15 pages [12KB], 65536KB chunk

• HackedServerHackedServer Member
    edited September 2017

I got one of the 1385s when they were listed. Just got my OS installed.

Went with 2x1TB Raid1, and 6x1TB Raid5.

yay

• 6x, or 4x?

• @WSS said:
    6x, or 4x?

6x

I split the 2TBs into two partitions. Not worried about performance, just redundant space.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

Oh. Well, that's kind of strange, but I can see that. You're going to have a bit of overhead on the 5, unless you designated your sda/sdb as the spare when provisioning. Not a bad thought- except if you lose one of your 2TB, you're kind of hosed now until you get it replaced, since you have two degraded RAIDs instead of one.

I should have bought a second of these when I had the chance. My online LT 1701 goes away at the end of the month because it keeps throwing sporadic errors on sda, and they won't do anything since it temporary goes away after a reboot. Having two shitty svm/vmx capable storage boxes is better than one and a half!

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS said:
    Oh. Well, that's kind of strange, but I can see that. You're going to have a bit of overhead on the 5, unless you designated your sda/sdb as the spare when provisioning. Not a bad thought- except if you lose one of your 2TB, you're kind of hosed now until you get it replaced, since you have two degraded RAIDs instead of one.

I should have bought a second of these when I had the chance. My online LT 1701 goes away at the end of the month because it keeps throwing sporadic errors on sda, and they won't do anything since it temporary goes away after a reboot. Having two shitty svm/vmx capable storage boxes is better than one and a half!

I feel the same, I have 1/2 dozen 1 and 2 TB harddrives in my house with no backup,

a lot of stuff I can't replace, I help they release more soon..

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Hell the shitty $20 4x1TB is gone now. too.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS said:
    Hell the shitty $20 4x1TB is gone now. too.

1.6GHz or faster - 1 processor
    2 Cores / 2 Threads
    4GB DDR2
    250GB SATA
    100mbit Unmetered
    1 usable IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Address Block
    Intel Core2Duo Preconfigured - 10.00/Month
    https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=250

in stosk just now, get it before it's too late..

I have this server, going back to stock at end of this month,

it's a Pentium Dual E2140 @ 1.60GHz, I may keep it as a image server..

• Nahh. Thanks, though!

• @painfreepc said:

@WSS said:
    Hell the shitty $20 4x1TB is gone now. too.

1.6GHz or faster - 1 processor
    2 Cores / 2 Threads
    4GB DDR2
    250GB SATA
    100mbit Unmetered
    1 usable IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Address Block
    Intel Core2Duo Preconfigured - 10.00/Month
    https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=250

in stosk just now, get it before it's too late..

I have this server, going back to stock at end of this month,

it's a Pentium Dual E2140 @ 1.60GHz

Wow... expensive.

• WOW, it's gone already.

• Only 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HD that is probably 10 years old? Been there, done that. Just isn't very useful. :/

• sinsin Member
    edited September 2017

@WSS said:
    Only 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HD that is probably 10 years old? Been there, done that. Just isn't very useful. :/

The last time I had one of those $10 WSI servers I had 3 drives die in a row, 1 after one week and 2 the same day of replacement.

Meanwhile my cheap Worldstream servers with 5 and 6 year old drives run smooth as butter.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

Do not like WSI network. Besides WSI overselling the network to shit, Dacentec's L3 + Telia blend is miles ahead of Cogent + HE for my uses.

When I was there they also didn't offer any loaner KVMs. Even if it takes a few hours at times, I like that Dacentec has the option to hook one up for free.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSI still doesn't offer KVMs or any, and I mean ANY support for the "Prebuilt" machines. You get whatever OS is on there, and can do your own using qemu as a passthrough. Fuck that up? You can boot from their sysrescue CD. Good luck!

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited September 2017

Harambe said: Dacentec's L3 + Telia blend is miles ahead of Cogent + HE for my uses

Agree. WSI's gigabit was super slow from Texas. Dacentec's connection has been so much better, despite being much further away.