Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• sda and sdb building raid, see anything wrong here?

/dev/md0:
            Version : 1.0
      Creation Time : Thu Aug 17 15:40:36 2017
         Raid Level : raid1
         Array Size : 255936 (249.94 MiB 262.08 MB)
      Used Dev Size : 255936 (249.94 MiB 262.08 MB)
       Raid Devices : 2
      Total Devices : 2
        Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Thu Aug 17 16:48:01 2017
              State : clean
     Active Devices : 2
    Working Devices : 2
     Failed Devices : 0
      Spare Devices : 0

Name : NONAME:0  (local to host NONAM)
               UUID : 
             Events : 19

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           0       8        1        0      active sync   /dev/sda1
           1       8       17        1      active sync   /dev/sdb1
    ``

mdadm -D /dev/md1
    /dev/md1:
            Version : 1.1
      Creation Time : Thu Aug 17 15:40:37 2017
         Raid Level : raid1
         Array Size : 1953126400 (1862.65 GiB 2000.00 GB)
      Used Dev Size : 1953126400 (1862.65 GiB 2000.00 GB)
       Raid Devices : 2
      Total Devices : 2
        Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Intent Bitmap : Internal

Update Time : Thu Aug 17 17:01:29 2017
              State : active, resyncing
     Active Devices : 2
    Working Devices : 2
     Failed Devices : 0
      Spare Devices : 0

Resync Status : 25% complete

Name : NONAM:1  (local to host NONAM)
               UUID : 
             Events : 807

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           0       8        2        0      active sync   /dev/sda2
           1       8       18        1      active sync   /dev/sdb2
    `

• To Anyone that cares, Status Report:

2x 2TB HDD Raid 1

4x 1TB HDD Raid 6 (resyncing (71%, 163min) RAID6 (Dual Distributed Parity) 1.82 TB)

Webmin as server administration panel

Vestacp as web hosting control panel

• S3phyS3phy Member
    edited August 2017

@dacentec said:

@Tom said:

Sure, thanks. Is the bandwidth on these incoming + outgoing? :-)

Bandwidth is incoming and outgoing, but a bump up to 20TB is just $5/month.

Is it actually just $5? On the site it says $10.

But still, not bad.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@S3phy said:

@dacentec said:

@Tom said:

Sure, thanks. Is the bandwidth on these incoming + outgoing? :-)

Bandwidth is incoming and outgoing, but a bump up to 20TB is just $5/month.

Is it actually just $5? On the site it says $10.

But still, not bad.

Sorry for the confusion. It is $5/monthly.

Thanked by 1S3phy
  • painfreepc said: Vestacp as web hosting control panel

I would suggest not to install vestacp / apache etc. to the server, but proxmox. And then, create virtual machines or / and containers and vestacp into them.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@Ruriko said:
    @dacentec are you going to restock the bonus 4TB dedi?

We just added some more on the site now for order.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Psst @PetaByet

• @dacentec said:

@Ruriko said:
    @dacentec are you going to restock the bonus 4TB dedi?

We just added some more on the site now for order.

Thankfully grabbed one!

Perfect <3

• Got one!

• oh damn. make them go away. fast.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • Looks to be gone already, darn :(

• imokimok Member

Not again! :(

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Ended up cancelling mine. Didnt use it at all other than trying to install OS. It wouldnt work properly.
    Props to their awesome support but these 25 USD were just lost.

• WSSWSS Member

@MikePT said:
    Ended up cancelling mine. Didnt use it at all other than trying to install OS. It wouldnt work properly.

Didn't manage to get the BIOS updated?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

I think I'm cancelling mine too. Great deal, but not quite right for what I want on reflection. For the amount of support work Dacentec did for me, I don't begrudge them the $50.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@WSS said:

@MikePT said:

Didn't manage to get the BIOS updated?

I have. But then it would not install any OS at all. It wouldnt boot the OS.

Their noc-ps setup isnt working properly for this server as well.

@Nekki said:
    I think I'm cancelling mine too. Great deal, but not quite right for what I want on reflection. For the amount of support work Dacentec did for me, I don't begrudge them the $50.

Exactly. Yeah to be honest they did deserve my 25 USD as well. Just a shame they couldnt swap this shitty and problematic HW for working HW. I would love to keep this one for a long time. Now hopefully I can get something else for 25 USD, somewhere else...

• WSSWSS Member

@MikePT said:

Well something's wrong.

@MikePT said:
    Exactly. Yeah to be honest they did deserve my 25 USD as well. Just a shame they couldnt swap this shitty and problematic HW for working HW. I would love to keep this one for a long time. Now hopefully I can get something else for 25 USD, somewhere else...

I call this "The OneProvider defense". I've got a new rule- even if you are giving me truly cheap shit- if it doesn't work after a couple weeks of trying, you're gonna gimme my money back. However, OneProvider is just a reseller, so it doesn't quite fit.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@WSS said:

@MikePT said:

Well something's wrong.

@MikePT said:

I call this "The OneProvider defense". I've got a new rule- even if you are giving me truly cheap shit- if it doesn't work after a couple weeks of trying, you're gonna gimme my money back. However, OneProvider is just a reseller, so it doesn't quite fit.

Yeah well I got that rule in my book as well but then I would feel really bad for asking a refund considering the prompt support and help they provided. Granted that I havent been able to use it properly. Meh. Just sucks.

• WSSWSS Member

@MikePT said:
    Yeah well I got that rule in my book as well but then I would feel really bad for asking a refund considering the prompt support and help they provided. Granted that I havent been able to use it properly. Meh. Just sucks.

I wonder what's going on with your machine. We're kind of at the cusp of "Shit this is some decent storage" and "This is about as reliable as a shipment from Prout".

That said, mine's working great.

@WSS said:

@MikePT said:

I wonder what's going on with your machine. We're kind of at the cusp of "Shit this is some decent storage" and "This is about as reliable as a shipment from Prout".

That said, mine's working great.

Well mine wasnt. It wouldnt boot the ISOs at all. Tried with samba and using the java app. It would stop booting in the first step. Not a network issue for sure, I even tried booting using their internal samba server.

• WSSWSS Member

Mine was doing the same thing. I had to boot the super tiny iPXE ISO, setup the network manually, and load over the net.

• WSSWSS Member

I've never seen SAMBA work. Never.

@WSS said:
    Mine was doing the same thing. I had to boot the super tiny iPXE ISO, setup the network manually, and load over the net.

Well I didnt do that for sure... But still sucks. This is something basic that should work out of the box.

@WSS said:
    I've never seen SAMBA work. Never.

Works fine in my end. At least loading the ISO. The issue isnt booting the ISO but actually in the first step to install the OS.

• WSSWSS Member

Dacentec has the plus side that they're not OneP. Their stuff kind of works, and they obviously care about providing a service.

@WSS said:
    Dacentec has the plus side that they're not OneP. Their stuff kind of works, and they obviously care about providing a service.

They do. Their tech guys are superb. Really friendly and fast sorting the mess. Seriously would love to stick with them but not with this hardware.

• WSSWSS Member

Hopefully they'll find some slightly better hardware to offer once more.

@WSS said:
    Hopefully they'll find some slightly better hardware to offer once more.

Yeah if they had got back to me offering to switch the server to something else... But my account manager didnt get back to me as they said he would... Meh

• WSSWSS Member

ProTip: You weren't the only one who had problematic hardware. I won't tell you who the jerk was that said that updating the BIOS would help- but I did reveal that I had a newer BIOS and alternative settings.

Their KVMs fucking suck, though. Took 3 tries to get one that worked.

@WSS said:
    ProTip: You weren't the only one who had problematic hardware. I won't tell you who the jerk was that said that updating the BIOS would help- but I did reveal that I had a newer BIOS and alternative settings.

Their KVMs fucking suck, though. Took 3 tries to get one that worked.

I begged them to update my BIOS due to the IOMM issue or whatever its called and it did help, then they swapped the disks and I tried reinstalling it... More problems. Not worth my time either tbh..

My opinion is still very positive in regards to their support but they should consider using something else to deploy this offer.

• WSSWSS Member

Same reasoning why after 2 new 750GB drives (at RAID 5), I haven't asked for the 1TB drives yet. :D