Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• @AuroraZ said:
    Nope

This guy be like

Thanked by 1alown
  • vishvish Member

Not only is the support awesome, but the network is very nice too!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@WSS said:
    Their hardware... wouldn't mind an upgrade.

Me neither. I would keep the server honestly.

Lets see what @dacentec can do <3

• sinsin Member

WSS said: I'm not that kind of parental unit. I want to make sure they're doing OK, but they don't need me calling every hour to make sure they're doing the right thing!

Mine get drunk and do cocaine nightly so I'm constantly calling my servers.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@sin said:

WSS said: I'm not that kind of parental unit. I want to make sure they're doing OK, but they don't need me calling every hour to make sure they're doing the right thing!

Mine get drunk and do cocaine nightly so I'm constantly calling my servers.

Aww, they'll eventually possibly make it past the twenties.

• @painfreepc said:
    sda and sdb building raid, see anything wrong here?

/dev/md0:
            Version : 1.0
      Creation Time : Thu Aug 17 15:40:36 2017
         Raid Level : raid1
         Array Size : 255936 (249.94 MiB 262.08 MB)
      Used Dev Size : 255936 (249.94 MiB 262.08 MB)
       Raid Devices : 2
      Total Devices : 2
        Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Thu Aug 17 16:48:01 2017
              State : clean
     Active Devices : 2
    Working Devices : 2
     Failed Devices : 0
      Spare Devices : 0

Name : NONAME:0  (local to host NONAM)
               UUID : 
             Events : 19

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           0       8        1        0      active sync   /dev/sda1
           1       8       17        1      active sync   /dev/sdb1
    ``

mdadm -D /dev/md1
    /dev/md1:
            Version : 1.1
      Creation Time : Thu Aug 17 15:40:37 2017
         Raid Level : raid1
         Array Size : 1953126400 (1862.65 GiB 2000.00 GB)
      Used Dev Size : 1953126400 (1862.65 GiB 2000.00 GB)
       Raid Devices : 2
      Total Devices : 2
        Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Intent Bitmap : Internal

Update Time : Thu Aug 17 17:01:29 2017
              State : active, resyncing
     Active Devices : 2
    Working Devices : 2
     Failed Devices : 0
      Spare Devices : 0

Resync Status : 25% complete

Name : NONAM:1  (local to host NONAM)
               UUID : 
             Events : 807

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           0       8        2        0      active sync   /dev/sda2
           1       8       18        1      active sync   /dev/sdb2
    `

I tried doing this, also tried with their OS provision (which allows raid config)... if I try setup raid on SDA it states the drive's in use (obviously, as boot)

Whenever setup with the provision version and making the SDC/SDD/SDE/SDF as raid10 upon reboot I get an error about MDADM duplicate config... which is bizarre. Tad stuck to be honest!

• WSSWSS Member

@HyperSpeed said:
    Whenever setup with the provision version and making the SDC/SDD/SDE/SDF as raid10 upon reboot I get an error about MDADM duplicate config... which is bizarre. Tad stuck to be honest!

What I did was setup RAID1 for sda+sdb using a Debian 9 netinst CD image over the KVM, then manually created the secondary raid. If you can get a working KVM, I'd suggest doing similarly.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • vishvish Member

@WSS said:

What I did was setup RAID1 for sda+sdb using a Debian 9 netinst CD image over the KVM, then manually created the secondary raid. If you can get a working KVM, I'd suggest doing similarly.

+1 debian 9 netinst for the win

• I've been trying to buy one of these stupid things for a month now.

• WSSWSS Member

@Damian said:

I've been trying to buy one of these stupid things for a month now.

Why?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

WSS said: Why?

Because getting paid to yell at your genitals is a great way to earn money?

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:

WSS said: Why?

Because getting paid to yell at your genitals is a great way to earn money?

I yell at dicks all day... but now you tell me that I can get paid for that?!

FUCK!

• WSSWSS Member
    md1 : active raid5 sdf[4] sde[2] sdd[1] sdc[0]
          2929893888 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [UUU_]
          [===>.................]  recovery = 15.3% (149697480/976631296) finish=127.3min speed=108193K/sec

@Whee

• So I am getting a little confused with people who managed to set up RAID on this server. First, are people using that nVidia RAID (the on-board RAID) or some other way to get it set up? When I was using the nVidia RAID (MCP55 I was told is the model), the total RAID size when doing JBOD is only showing 1.7TB even though the individual drives are showing correct size. Secondly when I tried to install VMWare (Esxi 6.5) using IP-KVM the VMWare is not able to see the RAID array as one disk and when I installed on one of the drives, it mess up the RAID and I am not able to boot at all.

Is this kind of software RAID supported by VMWare and what kind of RAID configuration does everyone have? If it is not supported by VMWare what do people install for virtualization or we just dump a Linux on it?

• WSSWSS Member

The onboard RAID in many devices is known as a "Fake RAID", aka "BIOS RAID". Unless explicitly supported, you have to jump though hoops to make it work- and as buggy as these old machines are, it's likely slightly-less damaging to just build a software RAID.

I would never think to suggest that this rather old and buggy hardware is worthwhile for ESXI. Get Debian on it, then stick Proxmox VE onto it if you need admin tools.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • simply don't ever use bios-raid. in case of an incident happening and you need to switch discs and rebuild the raid, you don't want to rely on the bios functions to make it work again...

Thanked by 1spammy
  • thank i will return the servers, dont have the time or the tech knowledge for the bull shit,

I install webmin, all looks good, now I read here "simply don't ever use bios-raid"

• WSSWSS Member

@painfreepc You really need a nice managed CPanel.

I'm kind of pissed at @Dacentec today. I paid my invoice, and got hit again a week later to "top off" my account balance. If I knew I had to perpetually have $50 out on this bastard, I doubt I would have kept it. $25? Fine. Don't withhold my funds for the next month automatically because I had no express way to say "No".

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited August 2017

@WSS said:
    @painfreepc You really need a nice managed CPanel.

I'm kind of pissed at @Dacentec today. I paid my invoice, and got hit again a week later to "top off" my account balance. If I knew I had to perpetually have $50 out on this bastard, I doubt I would have kept it. $25? Fine. Don't withhold my funds for the next month automatically because I had no express way to say "No".

My Server is Up and Running with a few web sites,

doing backups from my home media server,

Ripping Images from some of my fav sites for upcoming projects, that's why I wanted the space, to store images and videos I rip from sites.

personal proxy server,

I don't need a "nice managed CPanel" I need to know my shit will not break..

• WSSWSS Member
    edited August 2017

You're paying $25/mo for a machine that is cranky, old, and basically completely unsupported with a handful of drives averaging 4 years old. It was made from leftovers that had been written off because us cheap fucks know that it's good for a momentary flash in time, and not long term. - Shit's gonna break.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited August 2017

@WSS said:
    You're paying $25/mo for a machine that is cranky, old, and basically completely unsupported with a handful of drives averaging 4 years old. It was made from leftovers that had been written off because us cheap fucks know that it's good for a momentary flash in time, and not long term. - Shit's gonna break.

I may go with GoMach5.com or joesdatacenter.com

will let you "ALL" know if I put back to stock.. my next payment is 09.14

• It may break, or it may work until it is finally thrown away because it is too inefficient to use. May be i am just lucky, but mine is working for almost a year now, and there were no issues with hardware, even 750Gb hdd's were still alive when i asked to replace them with 1tb ones.

Also... nvidia raid... i've seen it once... it is really, really bad idea to use it. In company where i worked when this hardware was new, around 30 pc-s were purchased, for "important users", with 2*500gb hdd-s in raid1. It was nvidia fakeraid. And it failed in many different very funny ways. Breaking into 2 separate degraded arrays instead of one, simply corrupting data etc... But the funniest one was when hdd died, and it turned out that second hdd still has data from the moment when it was installed, it was never synchronized while software showed that everything is fine.

Simply use softraid, it is pretty reliable in linux, in many cases more reliable than cheap "hardware raid" and definitely more reliable than fakeraid.

Thanked by 2WSS Falzo
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited August 2017

@painfreepc said:
    I may go with GoMach5.com or joesdatacenter.com

Joe got expensive a few months ago after they redesigned the website. They wanted something like $60/mo when I asked about colocating a crappy laptop- cheaper to rent a machine that takes up 5x the space and isn't my problem when it dies.

@Gamma17 said:
    It may break, or it may work until it is finally thrown away because it is too inefficient to use.

Except when you're expecting this hardware and drives not to fail merely because you have several drives..

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

• WSS said: Joe got expensive a few months ago after they redesigned the website.

Try them again if you're still interested. Joe seems like to spike the prices occasionally, then they go back down to reasonable levels whenever they realize that they're not going to be able to attract that sort of people.

@WSS said:

Yeah well. They got back to me with the following:

My apologies for the delay in response, playing catch up from being out of the office and running slightly behind. We're trying to figure out a better processor that can offer the same amount of storage with the bonus drives. Unfortunately, our servers that have 6-Bay's available are limited in availability and also the price is higher and would not be around the same price. Nothing is set in stone but the price range would probably be in the range of $50-$75/monthly for something along the lines of an L5520 or E5620 server, again the processor isn't set in stone. What kind of budget and storage are you looking at?

Thank You,

I replied to them that they've quoted me the double of what I was paying for, and that's sort of achievable with other existing DC's. So no more fuss, they just cancelled the server and didn't reply back.
    I was hoping that they'd work at least to keep me as a customer but I don't think I'm worth to them :p

• WSSWSS Member

@MikePT said:
    I replied to them that they've quoted me the double of what I was paying for, and that's sort of achievable with other existing DC's. So no more fuss, they just cancelled the server and didn't reply back.
    I was hoping that they'd work at least to keep me as a customer but I don't think I'm worth to them :p

Shame. This is certainly at the garbage-hardware tier. Guess they just don't really want our cheap asses to upgrade.. even if it'd save them money in the longer run.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

MikePT said: I was hoping that they'd work at least to keep me as a customer but I don't think I'm worth to them :p

Such is the life of El Cheapo.

@WSS said:

@MikePT said:

Shame. This is certainly at the garbage-hardware tier. Guess they just don't really want our cheap asses to upgrade.. even if it'd save them money in the longer run.

Yeah I guess so... Well, looks like I'll be saving 25 USD :P

@Nekki said:

MikePT said: I was hoping that they'd work at least to keep me as a customer but I don't think I'm worth to them :p

Such is the life of El Cheapo.

Indeed :'(.

Though providers like RamNode, Backupsy/Winity, have had my business for a long time. Or even OVH, for like 7 years.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MikePT said:

Though providers like RamNode, Backupsy/Winity, have had my business for a long time. Or even OVH, for like 7 years.

And I’m sure they welcome the $7/month you spend with each of them.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Nekki said:

@MikePT said:

And I’m sure they welcome the $7/month you spend with each of them.

Yeah that's sort of the money I spend with them....
    Tho if you do it for like 5 years, that's 420 USD!!!