Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited September 2017
    1.6GHz or faster - 1 processor
    2 Cores / 2 Threads
    4GB DDR2
    250GB SATA
    100mbit Unmetered
    1 usable IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Address Block
    Intel Core2Duo Preconfigured - 10.00/Month

I am only using to serve images and rip site media,

I forgot to cancel before the 30th of aug, so I now pay for one more month,

I will cancel on the 25th of this month.

• Compared with a kimsufi 4c and this one, in terms of speed and connectivity what you recommend, please?

• @HWAYS said:
    Compared with a kimsufi 4c and this one, in terms of speed and connectivity what you recommend, please?

KS probably wins cpu / ram, but this wins on disk plus network.

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • This thing is a goddamn nightmare.

That's really all I've got to say about it.

• @Damian said:
    This thing is a goddamn nightmare.

Trying to make it work, or what?

• First thing was that I selected Ubuntu 14 for initial deployment. I got an email from "Jesse with the IT Department" that the server was online with credentials and it's been tested, except that there's no root password provided and the provider user wasn't in sudoers. Good testing.

Tried switching through several Debian and Ubuntu templates to try to find one that let me log in. Eventually gave up and went with Centos 6.

Since this is a Supermicro server on an -F motherboard, would be nice to have IPMI.

Left it to build a RAID 5 array with everything and we'll see what happens.

• Next time, login to your account and click the credentials tab, doofy. Jesse is awesome and knows shit.

• Ah, I'll keep that in mind. I thought that the stuff they emailed me would, y'know, work....

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Safety not guaranteed.

• They don’t have a limitless supply of these, so there’s a reason they keep getting them back in stock, right?

• @Nekki said:
    They don’t have a limitless supply of these, so there’s a reason they keep getting them back in stock, right?

They're garbage-tier, and plenty of people just expect shit to work. This hardware needs some coaxing.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Spent 6+ hours today with a spider kvm that had a bad day. Unable to mount remote iso, rebooting.

Best day ever {sarcasm} !!!!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@mikho said:
    Spent 6+ hours today with a spider kvm that had a bad day. Unable to mount remote iso, rebooting.

Best day ever {sarcasm} !!!!

Glad I'm not the only one who got the broken one.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • @Harambe said:
    Glad I'm not the only one who got the broken one.

I think they have one functional KVM. I got 2 in a row that didn't work. I asked them to test it before closing the ticket the last time, and I've been OK since. It's not their fault- but it their problem if they don't test the fucking thing.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited September 2017

I'd have been FAR less bitchy about it if I didn't get an email stating "here's your credentials! we tested it!" and this isn't true. Not that difficult to not suck at the initial impression pitch.

At least it was deployed same day. I was expecting to be waiting a few days.

That being said, it seems to be okay now that I've worked through their janky deployment system. My 2 TB drives are RE4 and my 1 TB drives are RE3. Was expecting desktop drives here. I haven't encountered any further issues.

• @Damian said:
    I'd have been FAR less bitchy about it if I didn't get an email stating "here's your credentials! we tested it!" and this isn't true. Not that difficult to not suck at the initial impression pitch.

Did you login to your account and check the credentials? My email was wrong too, but, as I said, the password in the account was correct in the control panel.

For $25/mo for 7tb, I can't bitch too much.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited September 2017

what is it that most of you guys are doing, that you need to install your own OS?
    I used Centos 6.9

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@painfreepc said:
    what is it that most of you guys are doing, that you need to install your own OS?
    I used Centos 6.9

Own raid config

Thanked by 1WSS
  • For people having trouble installing via remote media, support offered to attach a USB drive with my choice of ISO - Ubuntu 16.04 mini ISO worked great like this.

After they remove the USB, double check your BIOS boot config.

• Thanks everyone, I managed to snag a couple of deals.

The first was the common one in this thread (Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB 2x2TB Bonus 4TB for $25). While I was waiting for that one to provision I also grabbed the Supermicro X3440 8GB 2x2TB for $25.
    The 1385 took a long time to provision (26+ hours), however, I did ask for IP KVM to do RAID setup.

As per others above I had trouble mounting the iso to the IP KVM, within 15 minutes of raising the issue support had an ISO downloaded to a USB drive and connected to the server.

While that was installing, the X3440 was provisioned. I reprovisioned the X3440 with ubuntu 16.04 in the console.

So far I am really impressed, support was extremely quick to respond, peering is quite good to Australia.

The hardest part is going to be deciding which one to keep. This is for a plex server, so I have to work out if extra grunt of the X3440 trumps the storage of the 1385. I do like how snappy the X3440 is compared to the 1385 while I have been setting things up.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited September 2017

@hot_potato said:

>

>

The hardest part is going to be deciding which one to keep. This is for a plex server, so I have to work out if extra grunt of the X3440 trumps the storage of the 1385. I do like how snappy the X3440 is compared to the 1385 while I have been setting things up.

Are you sure it is not placebo effect, or caused by something else like raid resync?
    Because in theory the difference is ~30% in multicore performance (mostly because of HT), and single-core performance looks almost the same.
    IMO if opteron server works it looks much better with more than 2x storage for the same price.

• @Gamma17 said:
    Are you sure it is not placebo effect, or caused by something else like raid resync?
    Because in theory the difference is ~30% in multicore performance (mostly because of HT), and single-core performance looks almost the same.
    IMO if opteron server works it looks much better with more than 2x storage for the same price.

It was indeed still running the raid resync. I have tested this morning (resync finished) and received similar I/O results to yesterday (97 MB/s).

The bonus 4TB in a raid 10 array gets 180 MB/s as does the X3440.
    I think I discovered why: the 2x 2TB drives in the 1385 are Western Digital RE4 at 5400rpm. All the others are 7200rpm.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@hot_potato said:

>

I think I discovered why: the 2x 2TB drives in the 1385 are Western Digital RE4 at 5400rpm. All the others are 7200rpm.

Probably RE4-GPs, yuck.

• hot_potatohot_potato Member
    edited September 2017

@Harambe said:
    Probably RE4-GPs, yuck.

Yep both with 42k+ hours.

• Took another server at dacentec ... Unfortunately it shuts down after a few hours of operation: it is running a clean Proxmox install and I did not make any modifications

Although support is helpful they have refused to switch hardware to solve the issue until now because they insist there is no hardware fault (or can not detect it)... This really is not workable ...

• Now that's a terrible situation to be in.

@wlambrechts said:
    Took another server at dacentec ... Unfortunately it shuts down after a few hours of operation: it is running a clean Proxmox install and I did not make any modifications

Although support is helpful they have refused to switch hardware to solve the issue until now because they insist there is no hardware fault (or can not detect it)... This really is not workable ...

• @Hxxx said:
    Now that's a terrible situation to be in.

@wlambrechts said:
    Took another server at dacentec ... Unfortunately it shuts down after a few hours of operation: it is running a clean Proxmox install and I did not make any modifications

@wlambrechts said:

Meanwhile I received another but similar server. It had only 6 GB of RAM instead of 8 GB, but this was fixed as well. Fingers crossed.

• I cancelled mine today. Good luck, new owner!

• I have no problems, I just its a matter of luck...

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited September 2017

Mine has been okay after the initial KVM headaches and I think 3 or 4 disk replacements.