Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Setsura said:
    Mine has been okay after the initial KVM headaches and I think 3 or 4 disk replacements.

Haven't had any disk issues with mine, only KVM issues :)

And that I disabled root login, no sudo user and accidently rebooted the server. :|

• Grabbed one yesterday. It came with 2x2TB and 4x1TB drives. Everything else looked the same for $25. Haven't done anything with it yet.

• Do a quick check on the drives. Some have reported they had issues.

Thanked by 1cuongnh
  • Read this entire thread from the start to see if you need to have BIOS/setting changes made. Otherwise you will be very limited by kernel and distribution.

• @WSS said:
    Read this entire thread from the start to see if you need to have BIOS/setting changes made. Otherwise you will be very limited by kernel and distribution.

Thanks! I hadn't been keeping up with this thread and had been F5ing the order page and the deal popped up with 4x1TB drives. Didn't know they had upped the extra space.

Got Debian 8 installed and all seems good. The 2TB drives each have about 13,000 hours. The 1TB drives have just a few thousand hours with one of them just over 1,000 hours.

Hopefully it will hold up . 8-)

• WSSWSS Member

Dacentec has a new special:

• Dell 2xL5420 16GB 2x1TB Rent Only - Annual Special 16GB 2x1TB SW $275.00 USD / Annual

That's $23/mo.

The L5420 is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it's certainly better than the Opterons. The CPU is about 3500 passmarks- not abysmal, but not an Atom, either. Each CPU has 4 cores, and it's kvm capable, so you could easily cut it into a handful of lower-end services with the given /29. No clue on average hours on the drives, but don't doubt they'd be several years old.

It only comes with 10TB of traffic, though- and upgrading to 100mbit/unmetered is an extra $60/yr (or $5/mo).

Thanked by 3yomero im8a szarka
  • Get thee behind me, Satan! Lead me not into temptation...

• WSSWSS Member

..but deliver me from OneProvider!

• Since the replace of 2 disks in the begging, the server is performing fine atm. (fingers crossed!)

top - 00:37:26 up 46 days, 1:47, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.11, 0.09
    Tasks: 240 total, 1 running, 239 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    %Cpu0 : 0.3 us, 0.3 sy, 0.0 ni, 99.3 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
    %Cpu1 : 0.0 us, 0.3 sy, 0.0 ni, 99.7 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
    %Cpu2 : 0.0 us, 0.0 sy, 0.0 ni,100.0 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
    %Cpu3 : 0.0 us, 0.0 sy, 0.0 ni,100.0 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
    KiB Mem: 8240292 total, 5132368 used, 3107924 free, 493660 buffers
    KiB Swap: 16777212 total, 5412 used, 16771800 free. 3365600 cached Mem

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

The math on this current special above is just strange.

You can get 20TB/mo for $10/mo extra ($120 total). If you actually push the 100mbit solid over a month, you can possibly push about 28TB. So, I guess if you have spurts and DON'T need it faster, you can pay $5/mo for about a third more bandwidth than the 20TB option.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

For those of you who missed it the first couple times,

It's back!

Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385 8GB 2x2TB Rent Only Special (Bonus 4TB FREE)

If you missed it again- I wouldn't be surprised. That didn't last long.

Thanked by 2Aluminat ThracianDog
  • That seems to be a pretty good racket. Sell servers that aren't stable enough to run on the long term, then offer no refunds when buyer gives up. Keep selling servers repeatedly. $profit!

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@Damian said:
    That seems to be a pretty good racket. Sell servers that aren't stable enough to run on the long term, then offer no refunds when buyer gives up. Keep selling servers repeatedly. $profit!

I don't usually go to bat for a company I've only had a few months service with (anymore), but that's OneProvider, not Dacentec. Dacentec have bent over backwards to get me a working KVM (after two tries- c'mon guys, if it's broken- throw it away) and offering support for my $1/day. They've even done BIOS updates for folks to get the system to a point that some key elements in the design are exposed- so you can make it work with modern OS builds.

$ cat /etc/debian_version && uname -srm && head -5 /proc/cpuinfo && uptime
    Linux 4.12.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64
    processor   : 0
    vendor_id   : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family  : 16
    model       : 4
    model name  : Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1385
     13:55:08 up 48 days,  2:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.07, 0.09, 0.07

I had to reboot for the newer kernel.

Thanked by 2vimalware zevus
  • @Damian said:
    That seems to be a pretty good racket. Sell servers that aren't stable enough to run on the long term, then offer no refunds when buyer gives up. Keep selling servers repeatedly. $profit!

everyone's mileage will vary - I am a happy customer..

• @Damian said:

Except they do offer refunds? Which is rare for dedicated rentals.

• My Opteron special has been pretty okay after I got the initial disks replaced, got dat phat 69 day uptime yo.

uptime 13:00:03 up 69 days, 11:37, 5 users, load average: 0.15, 0.09, 0.05

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

For what it's worth, Debian 9.2 doesn't work the same as older revisions.

This used to work:

iface xxxx inet6 static
        address a:b:c:d::2
        netmask 48
        gateway a:b:c:d::1

Now, you get a bad gateway and it's annoying to deal with in rc.local.

This works, though. I blame systemd:

iface xxxx inet6 static
        address a:b:c:d::2/48
        netmask 48
        gateway a:b:c:d::1

• zevuszevus Member
    edited November 2017

@Ishaq said:

@Damian said:

Except they do offer refunds? Which is rare for dedicated rentals.

I've had a server w/ 'em for a bit over 2 years. Couple of months ago I thought I'd 'upgrade' to a different server with an SSD, thinking it'd improve my app performance .... but, err, well, misjudged the impact of improved HDD performance vs horrible CPU downgrade. Going from 2xE5520 to 2xL5420 was ugly.

Asked for a refund after having it about a week & received one, no issue.

I did think the same thing though when I asked for it, re; a no refund policy (and phrased it more as it being a favor towards me, vs. honoring some refund/trial policy). Not sure why I thought that -- maybe this used to be in ToS years ago but was removed?

ed: the current server, I've had for a bit over 2 years, but I've also used these $25 servers in the past & never had an issue with mine. I did have an HDD die on my current server. Was during business hrs & was replaced that same day.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited November 2017

Btw, the deal is back now.

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/

Opteron 1385 CPU, 8GB memory, 2x2TB & 4x1TB drives for $25/mo. RAID 1,5,6 recommended for each of the like drives because they're used & not great drives. CentOS 7 won't work on this old CPU (some got it to work through bios and boot parameters, I never got it to work) but CentOS 6 and Ubuntu works fine. CPU is enough for file serving & websites. Good luck!

• I would not have expected these to be re-released so soon. Just kicked mine out of bed yesterday. It wasn't the fastest with around 3800 passmarks, but worked perfectly fine for storage. The /29 that came with was nice, though!

• @WSS said:
    I would not have expected these to be re-released so soon. Just kicked mine out of bed yesterday. It wasn't the fastest with around 3800 passmarks, but worked perfectly fine for storage. The /29 that came with was nice, though!

Could you please share how many hours have your hard disks been running?

• @netpioneer said:

@WSS said:
    I would not have expected these to be re-released so soon. Just kicked mine out of bed yesterday. It wasn't the fastest with around 3800 passmarks, but worked perfectly fine for storage. The /29 that came with was nice, though!

Could you please share how many hours have your hard disks been running?

Most were slightly under 10k.

/dev/sda
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   089   089   000    Old_age   Always       -       8551
    /dev/sdb
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   081   081   000    Old_age   Always       -       14516
    /dev/sdc
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   081   081   000    Old_age   Always       -       14344
    /dev/sdd
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       3336
    /dev/sde
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   088   088   000    Old_age   Always       -       9124
    /dev/sdf
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   089   089   000    Old_age   Always       -       8609

• @WSS said:
    Most were slightly under 10k.

Impressive!

Thank you very much!

• ..and they're gone.

• @WSS said:
    ..and they're gone.

someone give @WSS a complimentary provider tag!

• @jvnadr said:

Which panel is it?

• @benj0x said:
    Which panel is it?

Proxmox.

• benj0xbenj0x Member
    edited November 2017

@WSS said:

@benj0x said:
    Which panel is it?

Proxmox.

Thank you :) (cause webmin version etc. weird)

• it looks like webmin uses the same theme autentic theme,

@benj0x said:

@jvnadr said:

Which panel is it?

• @benj0x said:

@WSS said:

@benj0x said:
    Which panel is it?

Proxmox.

Thank you :) (cause webmin version etc. weird)

I just saw the -pve kernel. I didn't even look at the panel, because I figured "Who'd run something else under Proxmox?" It's probably actually Webmin. Oops!