Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$19 /mo Dedicated Servers from Wholesaleinternet - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$19 /mo Dedicated Servers from Wholesaleinternet

Comments

• earlearl Member

@wilbo said: $19 :-)

hehe, your right it's $19

• Couldn't resist, ordered one of the ARM servers from RS.

• earlearl Member

come to think of it I think it's the odroid U2 model I can't see rsnet shelling out an extra $46 just for more features for practically the same base specs..

• yomeroyomero Member

And, how reliable is ReliableSite? :P

I am interested too. They accept Paypal?

• earlearl Member

@yomero said: And, how reliable is ReliableSite? :P

Not sure about their network cause I've never had a server with them but @tortau is not really recommending them for the time being..

@tortau said: I ordered one last Friday. No response since despite two emails to inquire about status. Can't say I recommend them at this moment.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

@earl said: Not sure about their network cause I've never had a server with them

Network wise, one of the best because it's Choopa.

I got reply from sales@ and ETA is 5 days for setup on those boxes.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

Very interesting thread. :)

• earlearl Member

The odroid U2 looks really tiny, and it even includes a heat sink/case!

@ $89 for the unit + $9 for power supply and $13 for the SD card + a minimal $50 for an exteral 250 GB HD the total comes to $161 not even counting the colo fees! that would take over 8 months for them to recoup the cost, not sure how rsnet is going make money on these?

I'm sure initially there will be a lot of demand but once the novelty wears off not sure how many people will keep the ARM server longer than a month or two..

• They might be paying significantly less for the unit, and the drives could easily be recycled server drives they have laying around in an enclosure. We'll have to see the state of the drives when someone gets one!

• @earl said: $89 for the unit + $9 for power supply and $13 for the SD card + a minimal $50 for an exteral 250 GB HD the total comes to $161 not even counting the colo fees! that would take over 8 months for them to recoup the cost, not sure how rsnet is going make money on these?

I imagine if you're buying the boards in quantity they are cheaper. You can probably get a gross of power supplies from China for $9 and SD cards can be had real cheap. I imagine 8 months is around an average, if not better than, ROI for a dedicated server.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2013

@nickvanw @Microlinux

Actually I read somewhere on the site that price is the same no matter what QTY. you buy, but I guess you could source cheaper prices for the the power supply / SD cards which should bring the total cost considerably especially if they are using recycled hard drives that they had on hand.

I would say 8 months is above average ROI but really how many people buy this on a whim and cancel 1-3 months later? I cant really see this still being popular a year or two from now considering there will probably be better gadget for the same price.

it was like those shiva wall plug hosting, it was discontinued even less than a year but at that time the provider made you buy your own unit so it was no lost to the provider if you canceled..

• seikanseikan Member

Too bad my country is not listed in their shopping cart. My order get denied :(

• bigballbigball Member

@seikan said: Too bad my country is not listed in their shopping cart. My order get denied :(

what country you are living?

• earlearl Member

core2duo is sold out now.. only atom and P4 left

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@earl yes but if you buy an Atom you might end up with a Core 2 Duo like I did.

• KrisKris Member
    edited May 2013

Not bad for 35/mo.

Core2Quad with a 1TB Drive (new drive)

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/05/02/m3wrTPGa8mjGiAic

[root@ ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.55424 s, 142 MB/s

robocop

I'd buy that for a dollar! (or 35)

• earlearl Member

@Kris said: Not bad for 35/mo.

mine is horrible compared to yours!

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 15.9796 s, 67.2 MB/s

@earl is that with the 500GB WD disks?

• earlearl Member

@shovenose said: @earl yes but if you buy an Atom you might end up with a Core 2 Duo like I did.

I think they were just being nice cause you did so many upgrades on the atom that you literary could buy the C2D or C2Q, would be interesting if somebody paying $19/mo on the Atom got upgraded to the C2D..

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2013

@shovenose said: @earl is that with the 500GB WD disks?

Yup! maybe I need to upgrade to the 1TB..

Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Blue Serial ATA family
    Device Model:     WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA0
    9 Power_On_Hours     0x0032   093   093   000    Old_age   Always - 5394

Yeah I got two, one with 1x 1TB and one with 2x 500GB, with the same results as you. the 1TB is brand new and blazing fast, while the two 500GB drives are old and slow. However, maybe it's just the software RAID slowing it down.
    Shame, I'm a big WD fan and not much of a Seagate fan!

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2013

@shovenose said: Shame, I'm a big WD fan

Yeah me too!

So far seagate and toshiba seem to have higher DD score on most server I have.. and mine is not on RAID since it's proxmox, I even asked them to check the bios to make sure that it's set to AHCI and not IDE or RAID mode maybe the 1TB drive has a bigger cache??

• KrisKris Member

@earl said: mine is horrible compared to yours!

Probably because these are new drives with a 32MB cache. I upgraded to the 1TB drives, 2 hours on (same uptime as the server)

http://storage.toshiba.eu/cms/en/hdd/computing/product_detail.jsp?productid=447

• @shovenose how did you get a core2duo when buying an atom?

• earlearl Member

@Kris said: Probably because these are new drives with a 32MB cache

Yeah that's what I figured the WD only have 16mb cache.. I might add-on a 1TB drive drive later on..

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2013

@Dragoon0309 said: @shovenose how did you get a core2duo when buying an atom?

Just to clarify that shovenose upgraded the ram and HD so his monthly total for the atom comes to $34/mo, at that price you can purchase the C2D or the C2Q for the same price as the upgraded atom so it was nice of WII to upgrade him from the atom to the C2D..

have not seen anyone paying $19/mo for the atom that was given a free upgrade to the C2D

• @earl I went ahead and bought a $19/m atom to see what i get :)

• I wish they had some L5420's left.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Magiobiwan said: I wish they had some L5420's left.

We still have a few available from our LEB offer.

• @Patrick said: ARM Servers are Here, The Future of Servers!

Quad Core Samsung Cortex-A9 (4 x 1.7 Ghz)
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB HDD or 64 GB SSD
    100 Mbps Dedicated Port
    5 TB Premium Bandwidth
    /29 IP Block (5 Usable IPs)
    Debian OS ONLY
    3 - 5 Business Day Setup
    ONLY $19/mo + FREE SETUP

What is crazy about this deal is only a few weeks back they were trying to get $39.00/month for it. I guess no one took the bait... $19.00/month is much more realistic.