Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$19 /mo Dedicated Servers from Wholesaleinternet - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$19 /mo Dedicated Servers from Wholesaleinternet

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

one other company on a different continent offers a similar deal with less IPs and more restrictive bandwidth

...and 4x more disk, and for those on this side of the planet OVH is closer, so it may actually be a better location; add to that the likes of Hetzner, Digicube and online.net, and you can see that an Atom for $19 is nothing out of the ordinary these days, hence as I said "average", may be okay to good, but nothing amazing worth of immediately jumping at.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

An i3-3220 with 8GB RAM and a 500GB disk would be nice!

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@rm_ said: ...and 4x more disk, and for those on this side of the planet OVH is closer, so it may actually be a better location; add to that the likes of Hetzner, Digicube and online.net, and you can see that an Atom for $19 is nothing out of the ordinary these days, hence as I said "average", may be okay to good, but nothing amazing worth of immediately jumping at.

This is the first time I am seeing something like this (cheap servers with unlimited bandwidth) for under 20 bucks in US, if I remember correctly.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@shovenose said: An i3-3220 with 8GB RAM and a 500GB disk would be nice!

I think OVH might have one of those at their Quebec location once a while as a special Kimsufi deal, but I am no sure if you ever want to look into BHS again...

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

Nah, not on OVH... on another datacenter in northern California that's running on Cogent, HE, Level3, Tinet, and Comcast :)

• udkudk Member

Do you dare use one as a seedbox in US?

• @rm_ said: ...and 4x more disk, and for those on this side of the planet OVH is closer, so it may actually be a better location; add to that the likes of Hetzner, Digicube and online.net, and you can see that an Atom for $19 is nothing out of the ordinary

None of which are in North America, which is most of what makes this offer out of the ordinary.

• earlearl Member

@zhuanyi said: This is the first time I am seeing something like this (cheap servers with unlimited bandwidth) for under 20 bucks in US, if I remember correctly.

couple years back WII use to offer pentium 4/semprons servers for $15/mo in limited quantities, or they had deals where you buy a server and get a free sempron but yeah it's been a while since a promo like this is being offered..

• RalliasRallias Member

@BlueVM said: If you have a mix of collocated and dedicated from them its free upto the number of servers you have. (So if you have 6 servers, you can request 6 reloads, etc...). Even if you go over that I think it's only $5 a reload which is still cheap.

Is that why you bought all the atoms?

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Bit the bullet and bought one.

• wilbowilbo Member

@bcarlsonmedia said: Bit the bullet and bought one.

Say that 10 times fast.

• RalliasRallias Member

@wilbo said: Say that 10 times fast.

@BlueVM did.

• @earl said: Not sure why anyone would want to buy the atom over the other offerings?

Newer hardware. The P4s are likely 10 years old! Atoms have newer hard drives, mobos etc. The hard drive failing is the biggest worry on an old system.

• belinikbelinik Member

went for a impulse buy :P

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2013

@Abdussamad said: Newer hardware. The P4s are likely 10 years old!

I was thinking more over the core2duo or core2quad for an extra $5-$10 I think it's worth it.. but yeah the P4 are probably the lowest performer of the bunch..

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@belinik me too. But not worried about it. Seems like a good company.

@earl @abdsussmad - I would think they would put newer drives in both, but that's just an assumption. For the price though, it's a great deal. US, 100mbps, 250gig. Even just for a test server the p4 would beat a lot of VPS any day.

• rds100rds100 Member

What kind of HDDs (model numnbers) did you guys get? How much "power on hours"?

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@rds100 - They haven't been provisioned yet.

• I grabbed an Atom with 4GB of RAM for $34/mo.

I was thinking I should have paid for the 2nd 1TB.

QuickPacket was back in stock. I picked up 2 L5420s. I got one with Linux for $55/mo and upgraded to Gigabit port and the other one $69/mo upgraded to Gigabit port plus Windows Server 2008 since I was finding Windows VPS offers in the $40/mo range for what I needed why not go dedicated

• @doughmanes said: I grabbed an Atom with 4GB of RAM for $34/mo.

Isn't the C2Quad/4GB/500GB $30? Then upgrade the HDD to 1TB and totals $35.

• KrisKris Member
    edited May 2013

@rds100 said: What kind of HDDs (model numnbers) did you guys get? How much "power on hours"?

Device Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       2

New drive it would seem, ordered the 1TB upgrade.

• [root@localhost /]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 2003.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 3796 MB
    Total amount of swap : 3935 MB
    System uptime : 1:22,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 59.1MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 41.1MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 95.0MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.99MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 5.43MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 16.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.70MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 38.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 39.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 52.5MB/s
    I/O speed : 110 MB/s

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

Not bad for a "100 Megabit Unmetered Port". :)

• NeoNeo Banned

Only US location?

• RophRoph Member

What's the point of running P4s in servers nowadays? Surely you could quickly save money in the short run and have better performance by running something more efficient?

• rrrrrr Member

Why atom for for 19? While we can have core2quad for 30. Can anyone explain. Double processors in just 1.5 price.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2013

@rrr because for some applications an Atom is more than enough, and it's also "greener". Besides it's also going to be several years newer than the P4.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Kris looks like a brand new HDD, very good.

• @rm_ said: Not bad for a "100 Megabit Unmetered Port". :)

I am getting more than 100 mbps

• rrrrrr Member

@rds100 I am talking about Atom and Core2Quad. Why buy Atom if you can get C2D for 1.5 price???