Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1,99€ dedicated server ? - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1,99€ dedicated server ?

Comments

• Do they charge for email notification for hard errors ?

• Got 3 boxes for a while and now 1 box down.

Datacenter: DC3, Room: 4, Zone: 4-6, Line: C, Rack: 17, Block: E, Position: 12

Is it a joke?

• > wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    > CPU model :  VIA Nano processor U2250 (1.6GHz Capable)
    > Number of cores : 1
    > CPU frequency :  800.000 MHz
    > Total amount of ram : 1983 MB
    > Total amount of swap : 976 MB
    > System uptime :   38 min,       
    > Download speed from CacheFly: 65.7MB/s 
    > Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.67MB/s 
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 11.6MB/s 
    > Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.14MB/s 
    > Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 41.7MB/s
    > Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 48.8MB/s 
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.46MB/s 
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.21MB/s 
    > Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 9.77MB/s 
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 21.2MB/s 
    > I/O speed :  81.8 MB/s
    > 

> smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep -e Power_On -e ^194
    >   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   060   060   000    Old_age   Always       -       35741
    > 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   039   048   000    Old_age   Always       -       39 (0 20 0 0 0)
    > 

Oldest HDD around? 4 years and going strong !

CPU frequency : 800.000 MHz??

My is 1600mhz..

how? :)

• @cassa said:
    Riz pbalazs123 Try now, it's a new day :-)

Error: You are not allowed to order. Please contact Online support for more information.

• @pbalazs123 said:

Well, contact the support then :)

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

wow this is cool

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Infinity580 said:
    netomx dpinst?

to preinstall the driver

• @netomx said:

Currently trying to install Joodle's windows template. Will let you know how it goes :-)

• This is a killer deal.. wow. I picked up 2, will be cancelling my KS1 and saving 1 euro, 2x 160GB drives + 2x 100GB FTP backup space.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2014

hostnoob said: I would have limited it to 1 per person, it would still have the desired effect of getting people using online.net and hopefully upgrading

You just still don't get the whole picture. They don't try to gain customers by upgrading their 2€ dedis to... what, actually? To a 10€ dedis? This is cheap. They spend some money from the part of their profit that they have it for PR and advertising, to achieve a bigger plan.

See DO: they spend the last couple of years big money to build a giant infrastructure, give as gift 20$ and 50$ to each customer and give them again and again. When are they gonna have profit with that attitude? They will, but in the future. They first watn to be one of the very big players. Most of the much smaller "cloud" players, are equal or better from DO and some of them having better prices (my favourite are the two italians, first of all IWtsack and second, Seflow). But, can DO size (infrastructure, employes, offices, deals with providers, programers etc.) be compared now with Prometeus, Vultr or any other small to medium sized companies that post offers here? No, and that is something that they will try to use it in the feature, to play in high levels.

How? DO already attracted huge funds from big corporates and is having already millions to invest. They managed that by pushing their company in a very high level, earning all this reputation and clients base giving away free credits.

Same in online's case. They have the money to do it. They have all the tools (own datacenters, big list of clients, big clients, 10's or 100's of employes, buildings, stock stuff etc.), so, this will not cost them as it would cost for a smaller company.

And by doing it that, they will gain much more popularity than just giving it to google ads. They give cheap and free credits (aka dedis). Do the math: each server of 2€ maybe will cost them another 1-2€ per month, that means 12-24€ per client a year.

DO gave 50$ in the start (not limiting it to 3-4K servers but holding that offer for a whole month) and continued to give 20$ and 10$ and after that 5$. So, the cost is much higher than this promotion by online.net and in much more expensive hardware.

Imagine that online.net will continue to release from time to time servers of 2-3€. Then, people will wait ti restock the cancelled items. Then, some new offer for a 4 core dedis with 8GB of ram in 6€ per month, then a free credit to use, then cloud, then something else. And getting more and more popular and strong.

There are scripts to the net that spying on OVH site when a 5$ Kimsufi will be released to grab it. All the hosting industry, in Europe, US, Canada and Asia is saying "when you want a cheap reliable server with free DDoS , good network and be sure this isn't a company that will deadpool in a month, go to OVH".

This is the goal for online.net. They are almost there and they want to keep their reputation and gain some more. And the money they spend in those servers for that, is nothing in front of their profits (in money, reputation, client's base and, eventually, magnetizing funds).

P.S. another proof is this thread: In 5-6 hours, 17.5K of views! See?

• @cassa said:
    Currently trying to install Joodle's windows template. Will let you know how it goes :-)

Me too, failed first time so I updated the network drivers and I'm now trying again

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Guys do they charge for email notification for hardware errors?

• emtecro said: Guys do they charge for email notification for hardware errors?

No, automatic monitoring and emailing is free

• @sc754 said:
    Me too, failed first time so I updated the network drivers and I'm now trying again

Let me know if it works and please upload the template :D

• How to install centos 6.5?... Centos 7 too new. Opened a ticket about that..

Guys?

• @cassa said:
    Let me know if it works and please upload the template :D

Will do, lets hope (crosses fingers)

• KeithKeith Member
    edited August 2014

@ahmiq said:
    ermm how does one setup a rDNS for the ipv6 they give :( never done that

Try setting the nameserver delegation to dns.he.net's nameservers and set up a new reverse there.
    Haven't tried it yet, it works for 6to4 addresses.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2014

IPv6 setup with Debian:

nano /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf (enter your subnet DUID number)

interface "eth0" {        
        send dhcp6.client-id YOUR-SUBNET-DUID-NUMBER;
        request;
    }

nano /etc/network/interfaces

iface eth0 inet6 static
        address 2001:your-address::1
        netmask 48
        accept_ra 1
        pre-up dhclient -cf /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf -pf /run/dhclient6.eth0.pid -6 -P eth0
        pre-down dhclient -x -pf /run/dhclient6.eth0.pid
       up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:your-address::2/48
       up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:your-address::3/48
       up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:your-address::4/48
       up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:your-address::aaaa/48

ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0

nano /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf (comment out)

# Local module settings
    # Created by the Debian installer

#options ipv6 disable=1

Update: with this setup above IPv6 sometimes die because dhclient bug:
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=745455

Take a look at next turorial with dibbler: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/706713/#Comment_706713

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited August 2014

Stock is estimated to be finished in 10 minutes.

Less than 50 servers left.

EDIT: Less than 40.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2014

@Ishaq said:
    Stock is estimated to be finished in 10 minutes.

Less than 50 servers left.

Are you talking about the "Availability" counter? It's stayed on 42 since the beginning of this thread.

• Dylan said: Are you talking about the "Availability" counter? It's stayed on 42 since the beginning of this thread.

No, actual remaining stock.

I've been talking with the staff.

• Spirit said: IPv6 setup with Debian:

Is this working out of the box, without any extra installed software?

• https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

It's ticking fast, they'll be all gone soon. 31 right now.

• I got mine (10 min job for online.net). It's time to remove some old VPS and move my site to new location. After first testing all looks just fine and i have no issues. Great deal if you ask me.

• @Ishaq said:
    I've been talking with the staff.

Ask centos 6.5 support please :)

• Dylan said: Are you talking about the "Availability" counter? It's stayed on 42 since the beginning of this thread.

It's 31 now :P

• @ZweiTiger, actually you can install any Linux OS from any other Linux OS, but that's a bit tricky.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Wish my account wasn't automatically restricted to one server... I was going to order 30...

• @Spirit said:
    It's 31 now :P

Yeah yeah, that started going down about 60 seconds after I posted!

• Looks like it's done guys.. showing stock but can't place another order.