Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1,99€ dedicated server ? - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1,99€ dedicated server ?

Comments

• debian mirrors saturated in france due to this operation maybe ?

• @Tripleflix said:
    Im guessing it takes so long to install debian because we are "all" installing debian and they only have 1 slowish image server available...?

All the choices are slow, not just debian.

• @Tripleflix said:
    Im guessing it takes so long to install debian because we are "all" installing debian and they only have 1 slowish image server available...?

Possibly, I'm trying Ubuntu now

• @itrmike said:
    All the choices are slow, not just debian.

all downloaded from the same image server..?

• You know any good free online-credit card service which use ones paypal account for withdrawal?

• fek it i got my second dedi :p

• @matrixismyname said:
    Oldest HDD around? 4 years and going strong !

Nope, I'm a winner.

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   059   059   000    Old_age   Always       -       36381

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • Ordered just now, delivered 7 minutes later - stock still there if people want it :)

• I installed Windows Standard_2012_r2 (64BITS) on my dedi but its language is French. Could you please tell me how to change to English? I tried but I can't understand (Windows Standard 2012 is new to me). Thanks!

• im really wondering how endless their stock really is..., im guessing we ordered like hundreds of the dedis now...

• MultiMulti Member
    edited August 2014

I think i got one. Atleast they told me that they accepted my payment and it will be delivered. So i think i need to wait…

EDIT: Got mine.

• ayukasayukas Member
    edited August 2014

Ubuntu12.04 x86 takes ~75min, and I got an old Hitachi of 28k hours.

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited August 2014

NewforVPS said: I installed Windows Standard_2012_r2

did you read the page before hitting install button?

http://ditronious.nl/dedi/ded1.PNG

Thanked by 1NewforVPS
  • @NewforVPS said:
    I installed Windows Standard_2012_r2 (64BITS) on my dedi but its language is French. Could you please tell me how to change to English? I tried but I can't understand (Windows Standard 2012 is new to me). Thanks!

You realise they charge you 23 euro or something a month for that???

Thanked by 1NewforVPS
  • NewforVPSNewforVPS Member
    edited August 2014

@tridinebandim
    Actually, no. It's French and I purchased by using browser on my phone. I'm reading it now.

• you can cancel the windows (no fees for the first 10 days)

• The method in #23 is legit, and you even don't need to install that crap dibbler.

Thanked by 2Spirit hotsnow
  • @cdejour you work for online.net ?

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2014

Only 1 core @1.6 Ghz and DDR2? Crap.

• @cdejour said:
    you can cancel the windows (no fees for the first 10 days)

I reinstall my dedi with CentOS, will they charge me anymore?

• @Chuck said:
    Only 1 core 1.6 Ghz and DDR2? Crap.

For 2 Euro? 1Gbit Network, Power, Support, Hardware, change failure hardware.
    uhm...

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2014

Yeap, i am the co-founder and CEO of this company, a subsidiary of Free (the 2nd ISP here in france)

You are perfectly right, this server cost much more than the price offered to our customers. Just electricity is approx 0,80-90€ / month + credit card transaction fees + support + bandwidth + datacenter + PUE ...
    We've sold 2000 servers in few hours, with no communication (nothing on our web site, no forum/tweeter/fb announcement), only an hidden link leaked on our IRC channel, in August (holidays here), an Friday (nobody put production on Friday), launched at lunch time.
    This is a pure marketing research operation, made in order to have many new customer testing our services, servers, support and network.
    We prefer to deliver an service for 1,99€ per month (and cost us 3 or 4€ per month and per customer) instead of spending thousands euros per day on Google Adwords for nothing. This operation cost much less than other traditional marketing rules and my conversion rate is 100% :-)

Regards,
    Arnaud

• 0_o

• linuxthefish said: We've sold 2000 servers in few hours, with no communication (nothing on our web site, no forum/tweeter/fb announcement), only an hidden link leaked on our IRC channel

Not true. They have a link at the bottom of their website.

linuxthefish said: We prefer to deliver an service for 1,99€ per month (and cost us 3 or 4€ per month and per customer)

That still doesn't make economical sense. The cost of advertising can be recouped over time as customers renew services month after month. With the described tactic above, Online.net would be making a constant loss.

I smell BS anyway, this statement has apparently come from the CEO of Online.net by email, sent to mtwiscool.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2014

@kcaj selling 2000 servers at a loss of 2 EUR per month = 4000 EUR per month
    Pissing off Octave from OVH = priceless ;-)

• rds100 said: @cdejour you work for online.net ?

Good catch :)

• @Spirit what does his IP say? :)

• wychwych Member

Surely they plan to upsell customers onto bigger boxes?

Thanked by 1rmlhhd