Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server

Comments

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

How can I use the TurnKey Core ISO (http://www.turnkeylinux.org/core) for my box? Or
    I have Debian 7 installed, how can I "install" turnkey and use it?

• nimdynimdy Member

Does anyone know how user friendly the Proxmox OS option is in the list? Does it involve a lot of configuration after first boot? I'd like to have a go at running VMs for my testing work and have the option of backups/snaphots so I can roll things back.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

nimdy said: Does anyone know how user friendly the Proxmox OS option is in the list? Does it involve a lot of configuration after first boot? I'd like to have a go at running VMs for my testing work and have the option of backups/snaphots so I can roll things back.

Nope, essentially 0 configuration work there. Install, download ISOs, log in and hit create VM.

• I wouldn't think this needs saying but don't attempt to over clock a 5EUR dedi to 4Ghz...

• @AThomasHowe said:
    I wouldn't think this needs saying but don't attempt to over clock a 5EUR dedi to 4Ghz...

Is it even possible to overclock a dedicated server there?

• I dunno, maybe. Depends on the mobo and the CPU. I would hope not on the cheapest KSs though, disaster waiting to happen.

• earlearl Member

It's pretty easy.. once installed you just point to https://yourserverIP:8006 and login as root and your root password..

Unfortunately you only have 1 IP and proxmox will use that IP so you can't actually create any VM on the net unless you use your 1 ipv6 make a v6 only vps.

• sc754sc754 Member

@earl said:
    Unfortunately you only have 1 IP and proxmox will use that IP so you can't actually create any VM on the net unless you use your 1 ipv6 make a v6 only vps.

You can create an internet accessible vm if you setup a private ip's for each

• nimdynimdy Member

@earl said:

I'll have a play with it. Does it allow you to forward the relevant ports to the outside world? e.g. set up a VM then forward 80 and 443 to the net?

• earlearl Member

@sc754 said:
    You can create an internet accessible vm if you setup a private ip's for each

well yes you can create VM's with private IP's but then you need to forward ports to the CT/VM..

if you create a V6 only VPS you can use cloudflare and your CT/VM will be accessible from V4 internet at least for your web server.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@nimdy said:
    I'll have a play with it. Does it allow you to forward the relevant ports to the outside world? e.g. set up a VM then forward 80 and 443 to the net?

yes, you can do that..

Here is a link.. seems to be the de facto guide.

http://www.ameir.net/blog/archives/55-running-proxmox-behind-a-single-ip-address.html/comment-page-1

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@nimdy said:
    Brilliant. There's my project for tomorrow.

Have fun :)

Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but starting with proxmox V3.2.4 you can input ipv6 address directly in the network config when you create the CT. Previously you had to input a private IP and then vzctl to give the container a v6 address..

After the CT is created just remove the V4 DNS address from the CT's settings and use google's public V6 DNS.. 2001:4860:4860::8888

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@plumberg said:
    How can I use the TurnKey Core ISO (http://www.turnkeylinux.org/core) for my box? Or
    I have Debian 7 installed, how can I "install" turnkey and use it?

Actually proxmox offers quite a lot of these ready made templates from turnkeylinux.. you can download them directly from the Proxmox web GUI and create a CT with it.

Unfortunate about the server having only a single IP..

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited May 2014

nimdy said: The downside of this is I cannot use SSL on port 443 when I set up websites. Is it possible for sshd to listen on the ipv4 address and nginx listen on the ipv6 address (and use Cloudflare so that the non-ipv6 world can reach my sites)?

Take a look at sslh. This is pretty cool ;)

Edit: Nevermind, should have read the whole thread :P

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

@earl said:

I don't want to go through the vm route. How can I get the same directly? Any pointers appreciated

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@plumberg said:
    I don't want to go through the vm route. How can I get the same directly? Any pointers appreciated

Well turnkeyLinux is actually a template for the openvz virtualization, not really a bare metal install.. Even if it was would be hard to get a no support budget provider like Kimsufi to load it for you..

I did see on their main page that kimsufi offers 60 distros that you can choose from maybe you can select one of those and reload the OS from your panel.

• J1021J1021 Member

@joodle said:
    Anyone here running a seedbox? I'm getting lower upload speeds than usual (4-5 mb/s) since the last few days while having over 50+ torrents seeding

I'm currently reinstalling the server with Debian 7.5, but not sure if it's just a problem with Ubuntu 14.04 or if OVH filters torrent traffic

I've been able to seed at 100Mb/s towards the evening but I assume this is just normal torrenting demand. If I add all the top torrents from TPB it will seed using the entire port.

• SebfmSebfm Member
    edited May 2014

k> @1e10 said:

I've been able to seed at 100Mb/s towards the evening but I assume this is just normal torrenting demand. If I add all the top torrents from TPB it will seed using the entire port.

Kimsufi remains a joke. it doesn't even have garanteed bandwidth.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Sebfm said:
    k> 1e10 said:

Are you... Joking?

Thanked by 2rm_ fisle
  • SebfmSebfm Member

@netomx said:
    Are you... Joking?

Nope, I confirm, it doesn't have garanteed bandwidth. It has a max connectivity indicated.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2014

@Sebfm said:
    Nope, I confirm, it doesn't have garanteed bandwidth. It has a max connectivity indicated.

Do you really expect 100mbps guaranteed for 5EUR/mo?

• SebfmSebfm Member

As 150mb are garanteed for 9eur/mo at online.net, yup. :)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2014

@Sebfm said:

@Sebfm said:
    As 150mb are garanteed for 9eur/mo at online.net, yup. :)

Are you http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=515527 ?

I do prefer online.net compared to OVH, but your way of advertising your "own" company goes a bit too far...

Thanked by 2rm_ rds100
  • lol. Yeah seeing as how the less than positive comments are directed at your main competitor it's probably fair to add that to your signature.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Amitz said: Are you http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=515527 ?

I do prefer online.net compared to OVH, but your way of advertising your "own" company goes a bit too far...

Man, that's just hilarious. I don't think we've ever seen here a provider trying to direct a jab at another one, while trying to be covert about their own identity. And now this first time.. and not from some one week summer host at another, but from none other than Online.net, and at OVH.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • SebfmSebfm Member

I'm just inviting you to compare. :)

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2014

No, Sir. This is not funny. And, to emphasize it again: I love my server with online.net. I would rather order another one from you than any further OVH server. But this way of promoting your company just stinks and let's online.net look really bad.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Sebfm said: I'm just inviting you to compare. :)

No you're not, you are slinging mud...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

I've seen varying reports, I think the consensus is much like OVH though - good deal and decent network for the price with dedicated hardware, pray you don't have to contact support though.

edit: Kimsufi, not OVH.