Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 46
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @Hakim said:

@plumberg said: When you upgrade to pay-as-you-go, any other thing one needs to be aware of? Would like to avoid surprises

Just don't use/provision anything without knowing about it & it's pricing.

After all it's cloud just like AWS or GCP. If you don't use any paid resources it's better not to upgrade PYG account.

I actually wanna setup a vm in different region (from the free option only)... Will try that out. Thanks

• HakimHakim Member

@plumberg said: I actually wanna setup a vm in different region (from the free option only)... Will try that out. Thanks

Always free available only in the home region. You can't use free compute instance or any other resources in a different region. You have to pay for that.

• @Hakim said:

@plumberg said: I actually wanna setup a vm in different region (from the free option only)... Will try that out. Thanks

Always free available only in the home region. You can't use free compute instance or any other resources in a different region. You have to pay for that.

Ohh. So even if I go to Pay-as-you-go plan, I cannot create instances in different regions?

• @plumberg said:

@Hakim said:

Ohh. So even if I go to Pay-as-you-go plan, I cannot create instances in different regions?

Bruh, you can create instances in different regions, but you will have to pay for them. How hard is it to understand?

• Also there is like a 85 euro hold when upgrading

• @AXYZE said:
    I just saw that its possible to change boot/block volume performance (they call it "VPU"). I tried to increase it to the max and instead of usual 1.5k IOPS I got 13.5k IOPS for 4K read/write! 1M sequential write jumped from ~25MB/s to ~100MB/s.

The question is - are we, as free tier users allowed to use this without cost? I couldn't find any info about limits for free tier or maybe my Google is broken lol. For "normal users" this faster storage is more expensive. Anybody tried it for longer time?

If you don't know where it is - go to your instance details, scroll down, choose "boot volume", click on name of your boot volume and then click blue "edit" button.

Yabs after this tweak

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 54.26 MB/s (13.5k) 133.62 MB/s (2.0k)
    Write 54.23 MB/s (13.5k) 137.60 MB/s (2.1k)
    Total 108.50 MB/s (27.1k) 271.22 MB/s (4.2k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 90.12 MB/s (176) 88.93 MB/s (86)
    Write 97.82 MB/s (191) 99.22 MB/s (96)
    Total 187.94 MB/s (367) 188.15 MB/s (182)

Will Oracle charge account for increasing IOPS (VPU) of Block storage?

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/storage/pricing/

Have you successfully managed to increase VPU without incurring costs?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@nikozin said:

@AXYZE said:
    I just saw that its possible to change boot/block volume performance (they call it "VPU"). I tried to increase it to the max and instead of usual 1.5k IOPS I got 13.5k IOPS for 4K read/write! 1M sequential write jumped from ~25MB/s to ~100MB/s.

The question is - are we, as free tier users allowed to use this without cost? I couldn't find any info about limits for free tier or maybe my Google is broken lol. For "normal users" this faster storage is more expensive. Anybody tried it for longer time?

If you don't know where it is - go to your instance details, scroll down, choose "boot volume", click on name of your boot volume and then click blue "edit" button.

Yabs after this tweak

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 54.26 MB/s (13.5k) 133.62 MB/s (2.0k)
    Write 54.23 MB/s (13.5k) 137.60 MB/s (2.1k)
    Total 108.50 MB/s (27.1k) 271.22 MB/s (4.2k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 90.12 MB/s (176) 88.93 MB/s (86)
    Write 97.82 MB/s (191) 99.22 MB/s (96)
    Total 187.94 MB/s (367) 188.15 MB/s (182)

Will Oracle charge account for increasing IOPS (VPU) of Block storage?

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/storage/pricing/

Have you successfully managed to increase VPU without incurring costs?

I have maximum VPU on free tier from date that I posted that comment here.
    No charges.

No charges either for two friends who also did it when I showed them method.

In this thread there was someone who contacted support about it and support told him that if its available on free tier it means it is free for now.

They likely have enough bandwidth and they don't care about it. It may change however and they could slow it down.

Thanked by 2nikozin tototo
  • how many oracle free vps can i have?

• @letlover said:
    how many oracle free vps can i have?

NO

• @letlover said:
    how many oracle free vps can i have?

A maximum of four. Total storage is 200 GB while each VPS can't have storage smaller than 50 GB. This could be 2 x64 + 2 arm64, 4 arm 64, or 1 x64 + 3 arm 64.

Thanked by 2letlover keytrex
  • Free tier only includes two block volumes, can't have more than two VPS while staying fully free

• KebabKebab Member
    edited July 2022

@MallocVoidstar said:
    Free tier only includes two block volumes, can't have more than two VPS while staying fully free

I'm pretty sure this is false. I had 3 vps (1x 64, 2x ARM) for almost a year on free tier, each 50GB

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • @Kebab said:

@MallocVoidstar said:
    Free tier only includes two block volumes, can't have more than two VPS while staying fully free

I'm pretty sure this is false. I had 3 vps (1x 64, 2x ARM) for almost a year on free tier, each 50GB

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/#always-free

2 Block Volumes Storage, 200 GB total

• KebabKebab Member
    edited July 2022

@MallocVoidstar said:

@Kebab said:

@MallocVoidstar said:

https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/#always-free

2 Block Volumes Storage, 200 GB total

When you crate a VPS it's called boot volume

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • I tried to register twice, both failed. All of my info is real. Seems it closes the free tier.

• JabJabJabJab Member

Yes, because they still want your personal data and they won't totally announce closing of free tier. The would just make it hard to register.

Have you ever considered that they simply don't want you there and/or deemed you high risk? :D

• nikozinnikozin Member
    edited July 2022

Oracle can shut down your free tier account anytime. Don't bother signing up, even for testing stuff, it's not worth it. Get a cheap $20 vps instead.

Just got mine terminated after 2 days without citing any reason.

All I did was install an nginx using "apt install nginx". Next day I get authorization error on my oracle account

Thanked by 1letlover
  • @JabJab said:
    Yes, because they still want your personal data and they won't totally announce closing of free tier. The would just make it hard to register.

Have you ever considered that they simply don't want you there and/or deemed you high risk? :D

I didn’t have bad terms with Oracle.

• For arm, I can have a total of 4 core and 24 gb? So I can have 4x (1 core, 6gb)?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    For arm, I can have a total of 4 core and 24 gb? So I can have 4x (1 core, 6gb)?

Yes, you can divide 4c/24g to 2/3/4 VMs if you want.
    Keep in mind that minimum boot volume is 47GB and your limit for block storage is 200GB. So if you have 4 ARM instances then you have only 12GB block storage left - you cant create x86 instance (as it requires 47GB too).
    Boot volumes are calculated as block storage on Oracle Cloud.

Thanked by 1dotcomUNDERGROUND
  • @AXYZE said:

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    For arm, I can have a total of 4 core and 24 gb? So I can have 4x (1 core, 6gb)?

Keep in mind that minimum boot volume is 47GB and your limit for block storage is 200GB. So if you have 4 ARM instances then you have only 12GB block storage left - you cant create x86 instance (as it requires 47GB too).

Thanks.

So after 2 x86 instances I'll get 2x (2 core, 12gb) arm

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:

@AXYZE said:

@dotcomUNDERGROUND said:

Thanks.

So after 2 x86 instances I'll get 2x (2 core, 12gb) arm

Exactly :)

• @nikozin said:
    Oracle can shut down your free tier account anytime. Don't bother signing up, even for testing stuff, it's not worth it. Get a cheap $20 vps instead.

All I did was install an nginx using "apt install nginx". Next day I get authorization error on my oracle account

That’s maybe issue with your cards or something. Been using for 2 years and no problem so far :D

• VoidVoid Member

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:

That’s maybe issue with your cards or something. Been using for 2 years and no problem so far :D

It’s always a gamble so can’t trust our data with it

• @jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:

But that's perfect for testing. :D

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • TimRooTimRoo Member

@hzhoanglee said:

@jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:

Or backups. A 200 GB NextCloud account for free is nice, however long it lasts

• VoidVoid Member

@TimRoo said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:

I made a seedbox and Plex server using the Swiss location. So far so good

• @jmaxwell said:

@TimRoo said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:

no dmca issues with public torrents?
    Or
    using/seeding only pvt tracker torrents?

• VoidVoid Member

@adwsislife said:

@jmaxwell said:

@TimRoo said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@jmaxwell said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@nikozin said:

no dmca issues with public torrents?
    Or
    using/seeding only pvt tracker torrents?

Public, yes. It’s been going on since a few months now so I assume DMCA isn’t a thing for that location.

Thanked by 1adwsislife