Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 43
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @ravenchad said: got it. thanks. tho not sure how to do this on my own

oci bv boot-volume update --boot-volume-id ocid1.bootvolume.oc1.ap-xxxx-x.xxxxxx --vpus-per-gb 120

• @Peppery9 said:

@Alic said:
    Is it just me or is the OCI UI fu****d for everyone? No matter which resource I want to view, a red exclamation mark inside a red circle is all that appears with the cryptic "undefined is not an object (evaluating 't.status')" below it. Am on free tier with a couple of AMD instances in India (south). Though instances run fine.

I had intermittent issues with the web UI yesterday, although, things still seemed to work after a few retries.

As an aside, have they removed the UHP disk loophole for new instances?

Yes they removed it I think I also no longer have it. Kinda sucks since if my VPS dies I get worse SSD

• @Samidare said:

@ravenchad said: got it. thanks. tho not sure how to do this on my own

oci bv boot-volume update --boot-volume-id ocid1.bootvolume.oc1.ap-xxxx-x.xxxxxx --vpus-per-gb 120

cool thanks!

• AlicAlic Member

Like a lot of people here, I have a free tier account running a few containers and everything is fine etc. Does it make sense to upgrade to payg to prevent my account from being randomly terminated? Does it work that way?

• @Alic said:
    Like a lot of people here, I have a free tier account running a few containers and everything is fine etc. Does it make sense to upgrade to payg to prevent my account from being randomly terminated? Does it work that way?

I'm thinking about upgrading, but I have received a mistake message about $6323 cost usage in the past, so I'm very worried about upgrading my account to a paid plan.

Thanked by 1Alic
  • szymonpszymonp Member

@Alic said:

No need I don't have any termination and I have been using oracle for over a year

Thanked by 2TimRoo nick_
  • TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited May 2022

@szymonp said:

@Alic said:

No need I don't have any termination and I have been using oracle for over a year

Yeah I don't put too much stock in those terminations. People have a habit of saying "I did nothing wrong!!" when they did something wrong. Not saying there aren't exceptions to that or real mistakes in there, but if a VPS provider really wants to crack down on anything elicit, it's not that hard for them to find out who's doing that, and Oracle is surely going to be far different from most providers on LET in that regard.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • xaocxaoc Member

Probably not a good idea to upgrade billing if you're only ever going to use the always free stuff. The random VM removals and IP reclaiming isn't happening that often anyway. Only ever had 2 of these incidents occur which were not at all that damaging nor time consuming. I just had to update a few dns records after the IPV4 incident and that was it.

• szymonpszymonp Member

@xaoc said: IP reclaiming

happened to me and right after that I got an email apology stating that they reclaimed some customers IP's by accident. so I doubt it's on purpose

• @dragon1993 said:

@Alic said:

I'm thinking about upgrading, but I have received a mistake message about $6323 cost usage in the past, so I'm very worried about upgrading my account to a paid plan.

Be worried, they are incompetent as fuck.

• xaocxaoc Member

@szymonp said:

@xaoc said: IP reclaiming

so I doubt it's on purpose

I think it's somehow worse if it's not on purpose. xD

• VoidVoid Member

@szymonp said:

@Alic said:

Do you know if they allow public torrents on any of their locations?

• @jmaxwell said:

@szymonp said:

@Alic said:

I run torrents on swiss locations for days at a time without issues

• @jmaxwell said:

Avoid public trackers. I have a friend who had a DMCA letter forwarded to them and their VPS was suspended. To resolve you could either remove the instance or contact support. He decided to remove and create a new one.

Thanked by 1SpeedTest
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

anyone knows how to reserve "current" public IP?

• @NanoG6 said:

Not possible to change the IP type after you've launched it:

After you create a given public IP, you can't change which type it is. For example, if you launch an instance that is assigned an ephemeral public IP with address 203.0.113.2, you can't convert the ephemeral public IP to a reserved public IP with address 203.0.113.2.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I had an ARM instance running for a few months but noticed the instance got wiped or reinstalled when I logged in the last time.

Did anyone experience the same?
    Not sure if it's worth setting up again

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Can I use free tier for production site ? is it reliable ?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@mustafamw3 said:

Using it from 1 year in production and so far:

• 1x outage on x86
    • 1x outage on ARM
      Both instances were migrated to another node in like 5-10 minutes. Other than that it was 100% uptime, no network issues.

If you are worried then get cheapest VPS "just in case" and make 1:1 backup to it. You can get something for $10-$15 year.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • @mustafamw3 said:

Limited support.
    No resource mode (or I didn't find it)
    Free resource
    Random deleted VM (once happend)
    Random deleted public ip (once happened)

I don't recommend use for project that make money.
    Personal and not really important things fine.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • HakimHakim Member

@mustafamw3 said:

Yes. Just make sure to create a disaster recovery button.

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 equalz
  • @Peppery9 said:

@NanoG6 said:

Not possible to change the IP type after you've launched it:

After you create a given public IP, you can't change which type it is. For example, if you launch an instance that is assigned an ephemeral public IP with address 203.0.113.2, you can't convert the ephemeral public IP to a reserved public IP with address 203.0.113.2.

After the last Oracle IP fuck up, I want to say they said something about the freed up IP maybe being available to be reassigned within a short time and it wasn't assigned to someone else.

So if you really had to, you can try deleting it and then immediately adding a reserved IP and specify it.

• @Hakim said:

@mustafamw3 said:

Actually, they provide free snapshots (manual) so when they do fuck up your server, they don't feel bad and don't immediately try to solve the issue besides saying to restore from backup.

They did a blog post with a simple script to backup the server that you can cron.

• @TimboJones said:

@Hakim said:

@mustafamw3 said:

Actually, they provide free snapshots (manual) so when they do fuck up your server, they don't feel bad and don't immediately try to solve the issue besides saying to restore from backup.

They did a blog post with a simple script to backup the server that you can cron.

Do you have the blog post link?

• HakimHakim Member

@TimboJones said:

@Hakim said:

@mustafamw3 said:

They also block account & there is no way to get unblocked or get the data back.
    Personally I didn't faced this. But many people on Reddit complaining about this where he was running just Minecraft server following OCI blog. Maybe there's some other wrong doings on that account.

• @mustafamw3 said:

The only incident I've had with my instances in Sydney was the loss of my IP addresses. Every other incident was my fault. I'm now running some prod services on the ARM machines, with appropriate backups in place.

One of the x86 idlers:

16:18:32 up 409 days, 6:52, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00

Thanked by 1mustafamw3

@AXYZE said:

@mustafamw3 said:

• 1x outage on x86
    • 1x outage on ARM
      Both instances were migrated to another node in like 5-10 minutes. Other than that it was 100% uptime, no network issues.

If you are worried then get cheapest VPS "just in case" and make 1:1 backup to it. You can get something for $10-$15 year.

I want to use it for production , the only problem is directadmin doesn't support arm processor , I have personal license

• eriseris Member

@mustafamw3 said:

@AXYZE said:

@mustafamw3 said:

• 1x outage on x86
    • 1x outage on ARM

I want to use it for production , the only problem is directadmin doesn't support arm processor , I have personal license

Don't depend on free services for production.

edited June 2022

@eris said:

@mustafamw3 said:

@AXYZE said:

@mustafamw3 said:

• 1x outage on x86
    • 1x outage on ARM

Don't depend on free services for production.

Why not , it's pretty solid .Some folks here have over a year uptime
    If you don't breach Terms , I don't think they will terminate your server .

• eriseris Member

@mustafamw3 said:

Why not , it's pretty solid .Some folks here have over a year uptime
    If you don't breach Terms , I don't think they will terminate your server .

Because of somethings goes wrong you can't complain to support that it broken. Also you don't have any SLA...

Thanked by 1mustafamw3