Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 42
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

If the password reset would work, yeez.

• @Neoon said:
    If the password reset would work, yeez.

password reset doesn't work for me either (in firefox).
    what worked was to request a password reset and follow the link in the email.

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited April 2022

How can I add public IPv4 to exists network?
    I have a Reserved Public IP Address

I found it.
    Compute > Instances > Instance Details > Attached VNICs > VNIC Details > IPv4 Addresses

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited April 2022

What is this Ephermal IP? Which one are you choosing for the free tier, Ephermal or Reserved?
    From the definition it looks Ephermal will be 'destroyed' once the private IP is lost/rotated or instance is killed.

• @mehargags said:
    What is this Ephermal IP? Which one are you choosing for the free tier, Ephermal or Reserved?
    From the definition it looks Ephermal will be 'destroyed' once the private IP is lost/rotated or instance is killed.

That's correct. A reserved IP stays with the account and can be moved to a new VM. Ephemeral is only for the lifetime of the VM or until Oracle remove all your IPs.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 2022

@aRNoLD said:
    The always free tier VMs, accessible for a couple of years, suddenly lost their public IPs.

Anyone has the same issue here?

I always knew Oracle had their B or C team working on this, but I still cannot tell if they are only incompetent or also malicious.

• @Hotmarer said:

1 reserved IP has always been allowed and limits are printed when trying to add another. Secondly, the option to still reserve one IP hasn't been removed. What a dumb post, and that's official?

• @djn said:
    Nice of them to send a email
    took me ages to notice the public ips had been removed

Ugh, dafuq? Use monitoring.

• @Peppery9 said:

@mehargags said:

That's correct. A reserved IP stays with the account and can be moved to a new VM. Ephemeral is only for the lifetime of the VM or until Oracle remove all your IPs.

You use the reserved IP on the server you want the least downtime and issues and use ddns and ephemeral IP's for the rest.

Though, I'm fairly certain in last several years, it's more likely to lose the server from failure than just get a new IP assigned.

• @Hotmarer said:

Thank you for posting that because I thought I was crazy and now just noticed a bunch of other instances I have are missing IPs now. Checked my email and never got a notification on this production incident, so a bit annoyed.

• What a hard sweep to gather back their IPs... can't imagine Oracle being so unprofessional. If you can't give FREE service, just don't. Why keep creating problems and then making up excused like a 5yr old.

• @mehargags said: Why keep creating problems and then making up excused like a 5yr old.

And this mindset is why no company should be offering free stuff, ever.
    People think it'd be great for gaining mindshare but all it does is bring cheapskates who demand the same level of service as someone spending six figures with the big boys (AWS and the likes)

• @stevewatson301 said:

@mehargags said: Why keep creating problems and then making up excused like a 5yr old.

People think it'd be great for gaining mindshare but all it does is bring cheapskates who demand the same level of service as someone spending six figures with the big boys (AWS and the likes)

Well, you are right at some point that cheapstakes ruin it fo everyone and you can't really avoid the 'abuses'. However, ORACLE is offering free service as a learning phase for themselves, just like every big tech company does. I really appreciate such a phase and acknowledge the money they are pumping into it but such a big and mature tech company without proper checks and balances over their 'actions' in NOT acceptable.

Part of this 'free tier' experiment is to 'establish' yourself as a good service, and such incidents are going to burn down the whole repo. It just boils down to... 'do it good or don't do it at all'

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

@mehargags said: Why keep creating problems and then making up excused like a 5yr old.

What do you mean? This is a textbook example why they should. Fucking up paid accounts is much worse. They need better employees, and looks like they train the newbs on the free beta testers. A "staging" server of free users.

You make the argument why a company shouldn't use free products.

• Bruh

• I thought they wiped my VPS

• AlicAlic Member

Is it just me or is the OCI UI fu****d for everyone? No matter which resource I want to view, a red exclamation mark inside a red circle is all that appears with the cryptic "undefined is not an object (evaluating 't.status')" below it. Am on free tier with a couple of AMD instances in India (south). Though instances run fine.

• @Alic said:
    Is it just me or is the OCI UI fu****d for everyone? No matter which resource I want to view, a red exclamation mark inside a red circle is all that appears with the cryptic "undefined is not an object (evaluating 't.status')" below it. Am on free tier with a couple of AMD instances in India (south). Though instances run fine.

Make sure your browser isn't script blocking. I can't login to Oracle on chrome but works with Brave. shrug

• @TimboJones said:

@Alic said:

Make sure your browser isn't script blocking. I can't login to Oracle on chrome but works with Brave. shrug

Clear cookie that's the issue usually, also enable 3rd party cookies since they have like 5 domains

• @Alic said:

I had intermittent issues with the web UI yesterday, although, things still seemed to work after a few retries.

As an aside, have they removed the UHP disk loophole for new instances?

• Answering my own question: you can still upgrade to UHP disk via API

Thanked by 1bap
  • @Peppery9 said:
    Answering my own question: you can still upgrade to UHP disk via API

how?

• @ravenchad said:

@Peppery9 said:

how?

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/tools/oci-cli/2.17.0/oci_cli_docs/cmdref/bv/boot-volume.html

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • @Peppery9 said:

@ravenchad said:

@Peppery9 said:

how?

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/tools/oci-cli/2.17.0/oci_cli_docs/cmdref/bv/boot-volume.html

got it. thanks. tho not sure how to do this on my own 🤣

• AlicAlic Member

UI working again. Wonder of wonders ARM shape again available and could create the full monty 4/24/200 instance.

• Their service is so shite now I have this, and i can not even open ticket:
    You don’t have permission to view these resources in this compartment. Try another compartment, or contact your administrator for help.

• @ravenchad said:

@Peppery9 said:

@ravenchad said:

@Peppery9 said:

how?

got it. thanks. tho not sure how to do this on my own 🤣

did you manage to update it to uhp thru api for boot volume?

• @reb0rn said:
    Their service is so shite now I have this, and i can not even open ticket:
    You don’t have permission to view these resources in this compartment. Try another compartment, or contact your administrator for help.

Use their forum.

• reb0rnreb0rn Member
    edited April 2022

I tried accessing forum but I have no right to post.......
    Member, Applications - No Access

• @reb0rn said:
    I tried accessing forum but I have no right to post.......
    Member, Applications - No Access

1. Go to https://www.oracle.com/support/support-options.html#free-tab.
    2. Click "Open the Cloud Support Chat here".
    3. Choose "Questions or issues related to sign-up, trials, account, passwords, promotions or subscriptions".
    4. Ask first stupid question like "I have a problem because i cannot find a password reset form".
    5. The consultant will answer the question and ask if he can help with anything else.
    6. Ask your target question, if you have FreeTier, this is the only possible option to contact a technician.
    7. Profit, you managed to contact a tech person without a paid service.