Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 36
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@o_be_one said:

@jbiloh said: Which providers do you like which are no longer active on LowEndTalk?

As you have access to stats, you may know more than me if there is less activity. I've seen some providers i knew here who started to announce on a competitor's board you know. I've also seen some people i see less here who are more active on the other board. I guess it's psychological to think there is less activity here, but there is definitively less actually than on the other.

I hope you did the best choice for LET, and i honestly hope to see the board evolving differently than it used to be, maybe with premium providers willing to fit the low end market? I try to see the benefit of your move on this, and i wish it will be something we will benefit in long term. I hope you have the plan.

Again it's the first time i'm trying another board that is similar to this one, i'm not leaving here. Here i feel like there is a part of negative vibe since maybe 1y? It started with all the complaint from users regarding RackNerd activity i think. Maybe i was used to see some people here who are now more active on the other one. We can talk about microlxc, virmach, and probably other i've not identified yet or i didn't noticed yet (maybe terrahost?). You may tell me some are still here with provider tags, that they paid, but this doesn't mean they plan to stay here ; they only bought some time to define their strategy.

I don't know if you get how it could be annoying for a user, as well for you probably, to see often those negatives posts about your choices, about where LET is going, about so many things. I like LET for 2 things that were, imho, only available here:

• community sharing or asking knowledges related to our regular low end use cases
    • getting lowest prices with providers who works hard to offer an experience similar to premium providers

Now there is another place surfing on the wave of departures, on the wave of new comers like me, on the wave of desperated providers trying to figure out if this other board will be a good fit for the futur of their adventures. And when i see that we can have almost the same thing (let's be honest, the other board looks a lot like a copycat.......) where providers doesn't have to pay so they are coming more and more, it's confusing on a part, and it creates some fears on the other part.

Time will tell us, it's your board after all, your business, and we have the choice to stay as we are still welcome from what i can see, we have the choice to move out if it's not what we want or expect.

@o_be_one You seem like someone who cares a lot and also is kind. That's so nice! Thank you for your post and for being who you are! <3

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

The conversion from "Provider" to "Patron Provider" has been completed.

A big and sincere thank you to the hosting companies who have chosen to support LowEndTalk and LowEndBox through the provider tag fee model.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Host Rep & Patron Host.

Just a personal preference.

• zedzed Member

baby host and momma host

• @Nekki said:

@Aractus said:
    I think a lot of low-end providers are just going to move over to the OGF and call it a day.

Won’t happen, OGF is almost a graveyard. Better to pay the fee and actually get some eyeballs.

My experience has been different. The OGF has had lots of interesting unique content and started to grow quite a bit.

I've picked 3 or 4 deals now off there over the last month that you can't get here. And some providers provide a bigger discount to LES users (probably because there is no provider fee to worry about). And I've seen a few that only post deals on OTG forum now.

It's smart to check both sites for deals now before making a decision or you might only get a 25% discount instead of a 40%.

It's not that uncommon, I usually charge people more to buy my apps and games on Apple than Android, as the platform is more restrictive and it has a 200/yr fee. Even if it's minor, if I have to pay one platform more, users should be charged more. It just makes sense to generate a better ROI, reward places with lower fees, and encourage users to those lower fee forums to save a bit of paperwork and cash

Anyway, I think it already is at the point that if you don't visit both before buying something you are at risk if missing out on a better deal (which is why a lot of people were here).

Thanked by 3bulbasaur adly zed
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

So does that mean all the provider tags now are the ones who’ve paid?

• kuroneko23kuroneko23 Member
    edited April 2022

@Jord said:
    So does that mean all the provider tags now are the ones who’ve paid?

Probably yes. Hetzner didn't pay but OVH_APAC did (Patron Provider).

That surprises me that OVH paid

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jord said:

Surprised everyone. Peanuts to them I suppose.

@Nekki said:

@Jord said:

Very true.

What surprises me is that only 13 paid providers posted in the Easter thread, that’s normally busy with low end deals, looks like the Megathreads are also dead 😂

Thanked by 1kennsann
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jord said:

@Nekki said:

@Jord said:

Very true.

What surprises me is that only 13 paid providers posted in the Easter thread, that’s normally busy with low end deals, looks like the Megathreads are also dead 😂

I’ve not been here for Easter threads before so I just thought that was normal, especially if the thread was a surprise.

@Jord said:

@Nekki said:

@Jord said:

Very true.

It was a last minute surprise. Activity level expected.

• zedzed Member

Hopefully the 2nd easter megathread will be busier, looking forward to next year.

@zed said:
    Hopefully the 2nd easter megathread will be busier, looking forward to next year.

Indeed.

The Megathread concept is alive and well.

The effort to give the smallest hosts among our community every opportunity to prosper here on LowEndTalk (Megathreads, HR3, etc).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said:

@zed said:

Indeed.

The Megathread concept is alive and well.

The effort to give the smallest hosts among our community every opportunity to prosper here on LowEndTalk (Megathreads, HR3, etc).

Surely you should have given the smaller goats some notice of the MEGATHREAD if you really wanted to give them a chance?

• @Jord said:

Everyone should just send a $200 invoice to OVH accounting.

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Jord said:

I just send them a scanned bollock with an invoice for £1,000, let’s see what happens!

• @Nekki said:

@TimboJones said:

@Jord said:

I just send them a scanned bollock with an invoice for £1,000, let’s see what happens!

Send piness and tastacile butiful boi

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:

@Jord said:

If Over Vint Hill gives me a dollar every time it drops my packet, I'll be a billionaire by now.

• jtkjtk Member

@jbiloh said:
    New Perks Effective April 1st, 2022:

[...]

• A new page on LowEndBox that acknowledges all Provider Tag holders and lists their services in a directory type layout

It is not obvious to me, at least, where this is page is. Does it exist? If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to it.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @jtk said:

@jbiloh said:
    New Perks Effective April 1st, 2022:

[...]

• A new page on LowEndBox that acknowledges all Provider Tag holders and lists their services in a directory type layout

It is not obvious to me, at least, where this is page is. Does it exist? If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to it.

stop bilohposting

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@jtk STOP necro posting. If you are going to do it, say something useful.

• edited March 2023

I mean I'd also appreciate a list of all the hosts that paid for the tag so we can get an idea how much money this whole thing rakes in. I can't find it either.

Edit: looks like it was removed: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/181319/provider-list

Thanked by 1jtk
  • jtkjtk Member

@Arkas said:
    @jtk STOP necro posting. If you are going to do it, say something useful.

Sorry. I can move it into a new thread or just delete it if you want, but this seemed like the place for it. Was a serious question. Hoping for an answer if you have one.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@CyberneticTitan said:
    I mean I'd also appreciate a list of all the hosts that paid for the tag so we can get an idea how much money this whole thing rakes in. I can't find it either.

Edit: looks like it was removed: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/181319/provider-list

120 ish, a few months ago.
    Likely a bit higher by now.

Thanked by 2jtk MannDude

@CyberneticTitan said:

As of the data I have from Jan.
    142 Patron's.

Before the Switch in 2022, we had 376.
    We lost 234 till today, roughly 62%.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@Neoon said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

As of the data I have from Jan.
    142 Patron's.

Before the Switch in 2022, we had 376.
    We lost 234 till today, roughly 62%.

$200 * 142 = $28,400/year 🤔

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@Neoon said: Before the Switch in 2022, we had 376.

376 people with 'Providers' tag, not 376 patrons. Just a clarity thing.

What was the target? Around 250 or so to stick?

Francisco

Thanked by 1adly
    edited March 2023

@Francisco said:

@Neoon said: Before the Switch in 2022, we had 376.

376 people with 'Providers' tag, not 376 patrons. Just a clarity thing.

Correct.

@Francisco said:
    What was the target? Around 250 or so to stick?

When I recall what he said correctly, something 50k/y or even 60.
    More or less, he has 50-60% ish after roughly 1 Year.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2023

Please implement a option to easily buy provider TAG using order link. Option to purchase for a limited time only. No recurring + recurring order link.