Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 35
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• @Nekki said: If LET dies providers might bother posting offers there, otherwise, not happening IMO.

Um, exactly how many people do you see with a provider tag?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Aractus said:

@Nekki said: If LET dies providers might bother posting offers there, otherwise, not happening IMO.

Um, exactly how many people do you see with a provider tag?

I’m not going to go and count them if that’s what you’re asking.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Aractus please pm me details on the issues you're facing on the mobile theme. I've never seen those problems, nor have they been reported before, so I'll investigate further once I have a clearer idea on the issue(s). Please include details in the pm like mobile os version and hardware version, etc.

Maybe the loading issue you are facing is as sinkple as something to do with CF cache.

As for the scroll bar, or lack thereof, in the mobile theme text submission box I'll look to see if there is a plugin that solves that. Right now we are using a non standard mobile text editor that adds some features vs. Default.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• @jbiloh said: @Aractus please pm me details on the issues you're facing on the mobile theme. I've never seen those problems, nor have they been reported before, so I'll investigate further once I have a clearer idea on the issue(s). Please include details in the pm like mobile os version and hardware version, etc.

Firefox on Windows, not mobile. screenshots. The comment box is meant to expand but sometimes it doesn't and refuses to give a scroll bar - only way to scroll is keyboard. When the avatars or icons disappear I have to ctrl-f5 to get them back (not just F5).

@Aractus said:

@jbiloh said: @Aractus please pm me details on the issues you're facing on the mobile theme. I've never seen those problems, nor have they been reported before, so I'll investigate further once I have a clearer idea on the issue(s). Please include details in the pm like mobile os version and hardware version, etc.

Firefox on Windows, not mobile. screenshots. The comment box is meant to expand but sometimes it doesn't and refuses to give a scroll bar - only way to scroll is keyboard. When the avatars or icons disappear I have to ctrl-f5 to get them back (not just F5).

I am working to reproduce this.what version of windows are you using and what version of Firefox?

Has anyone else experienced the issue @Aractus sees occasionally with loading problems on Firefox?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @MannDude said:

@dahartigan said:
    Serious question. How many people here on LET believe that the Earth is flat and not round?

It's hollow, and inside is where the psychic demonic vampire pedophiles who control the world's governments live. They're hundreds of years old and feed on discarded children from Planned Parenthood dumpsters, mainly. When that is scarce they collect children from Disney Cruiseships.

Duh.

Small correction, in the old days they did but nowadays they collect the old people from the Disney cruise ships. Disney gives up the ones whom have already paid Disney throughout their lifetime and Disney wants another 70 years from the kids. Also, having the kids were resulting in type 2 diabetes in the Vampires.

• @Aractus said:

@PUSHR_Victor said: You can never rise the price of a product unless you first rise the value in a very significant and obvious way that applies to the larger part of your customers. Only then it is justified, but still calls for grandfathering some part of the user base.

Yeah this is the point I made earlier. The forum is buggy for example, this happens all the time:

And you have to refresh just to get all the avatars and icons to load. You should make the forum function perfectly before charging people for it. That's hardly the only bug either - there's no scrollbar in the comment box which is frustrating as hell when you're wring a multiple-paragraph reply.

Are you on a shitty connection? That sounds like a you problem as it hasn't happened to me ever and yet to see another complain of same issue.

What shitty browser are you using?

• @TimboJones said:

@MannDude said:

@dahartigan said:
    Serious question. How many people here on LET believe that the Earth is flat and not round?

It's hollow, and inside is where the psychic demonic vampire pedophiles who control the world's governments live. They're hundreds of years old and feed on discarded children from Planned Parenthood dumpsters, mainly. When that is scarce they collect children from Disney Cruiseships.

Duh.

Small correction, in the old days they did but nowadays they collect the old people from the Disney cruise ships. Disney gives up the ones whom have already paid Disney throughout their lifetime and Disney wants another 70 years from the kids. Also, having the kids were resulting in type 2 diabetes in the Vampires.

That got me thinking. It turns out COVID is a scam afterall. You see, we were told that the pangolins were the ones who spread the virus but it was actually Chinese Vampires.

Think about it.. the cruise ships and old people were the first to feel the effects... maybe the planet is flat after all (or hollow?)

@TimboJones said:

@Aractus said:

@PUSHR_Victor said: You can never rise the price of a product unless you first rise the value in a very significant and obvious way that applies to the larger part of your customers. Only then it is justified, but still calls for grandfathering some part of the user base.

Yeah this is the point I made earlier. The forum is buggy for example, this happens all the time:

And you have to refresh just to get all the avatars and icons to load. You should make the forum function perfectly before charging people for it. That's hardly the only bug either - there's no scrollbar in the comment box which is frustrating as hell when you're wring a multiple-paragraph reply.

Are you on a shitty connection? That sounds like a you problem as it hasn't happened to me ever and yet to see another complain of same issue.

What shitty browser are you using?

It's also never happened to me and I haven't been able to duplicate it in the past two hours using Windows 11 and the latest Firefox.

Just to be safe I just disabled a few CloudFlare related caching settings which were turned on during our efforts to stay online last November which are probably no longer needed to see if we get lucky and it fixes the issue @Aractus is facing.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2022

This topic is not getting older, with tonnes off-topic, don't you have user support section to talk specifically about site issues ?

@dustinc said:
    On top of that, what type of outreach are you and the team doing today? I've been in sales for many years, and consider myself successful at it. So open to helping. Feel free to e-mail me [email protected] and I can help provide suggestions.

Sent you a mail that day, thanks.

@mgcAna said: This topic is not getting older, with tonnes off-topic, don't you have user support section to talk specifically about site issues ?

We sure do. Anyone who is having issues we invite to contact us via our support desk (https://support.lowendtalk.com) or to create a thread, whatever is more convenient for them.

We have fixed many issues reported by our users before and so we definitely value user feedback.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@mgcAna said: Sent you a mail that day, thanks.

@mgcAna -- awesome, happy to help! Replied 👊

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Nekki said: If LET dies providers might bother posting offers there, otherwise, not happening IMO.

Well, provider without a tag? Post on LES then leave it to the members to open a thread here with "have you seen x offer". Ad posted, no fee paid.

Biloh and Alpharacks won't be able to sleep until they find a way to stop members from posting on behalf of providers.

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • Suprised myself registering to a competitor forum few days ago, and seen i didn't started anything as i've find a lot of people i'm used or i was used to see here.
    It's sad, but as a user i just follow where the content is, and if regular users and providers i like moves away i follow them to surf on the vibe. Not meaning i'm leaving here, i'll probably continue to be around, just i will have another one in my workflow ^^.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Lee said:

Well, provider without a tag? Post on LES then leave it to the members to open a thread here with "have you seen x offer". Ad posted, no fee paid.

Biloh and Alpharacks won't be able to sleep until they find a way to stop members from posting on behalf of providers.

Biloh’s been deleting all links to LES of late, so I assume that will continue.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Nekki said: Biloh’s been deleting all links to LES of late, so I assume that will continue.

Ah, never notice that.

@Lee said:

Organic user activity like that is just fine in my eyes.

It's been around on LET for ages and will continue to be. Sharing good deals is a good thing.

The majority of active providers on LowEndTalk have stepped up and supported our platform through the provider tag fee model. I am immensely thankful for their support and pleased to see such good uptake.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

@jbiloh said: It's been around on LET for ages and will continue to be. Sharing good deals is a good thing.

Well, that is a positive view at least.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

@dustinc said:

@mgcAna said: Sent you a mail that day, thanks.

@mgcAna -- awesome, happy to help! Replied 👊

@dustinc Thanks as well for your reply to my email. Much appreciated! :)

@o_be_one said:
    Suprised myself registering to a competitor forum few days ago, and seen i didn't started anything as i've find a lot of people i'm used or i was used to see here.
    It's sad, but as a user i just follow where the content is, and if regular users and providers i like moves away i follow them to surf on the vibe. Not meaning i'm leaving here, i'll probably continue to be around, just i will have another one in my workflow ^^.

Which providers do you like which are no longer active on LowEndTalk?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @jbiloh said: Which providers do you like which are no longer active on LowEndTalk?

As you have access to stats, you may know more than me if there is less activity. I've seen some providers i knew here who started to announce on a competitor's board you know. I've also seen some people i see less here who are more active on the other board. I guess it's psychological to think there is less activity here, but there is definitively less actually than on the other.

I hope you did the best choice for LET, and i honestly hope to see the board evolving differently than it used to be, maybe with premium providers willing to fit the low end market? I try to see the benefit of your move on this, and i wish it will be something we will benefit in long term. I hope you have the plan.

Again it's the first time i'm trying another board that is similar to this one, i'm not leaving here. Here i feel like there is a part of negative vibe since maybe 1y? It started with all the complaint from users regarding RackNerd activity i think. Maybe i was used to see some people here who are now more active on the other one. We can talk about microlxc, virmach, and probably other i've not identified yet or i didn't noticed yet (maybe terrahost?). You may tell me some are still here with provider tags, that they paid, but this doesn't mean they plan to stay here ; they only bought some time to define their strategy.

I don't know if you get how it could be annoying for a user, as well for you probably, to see often those negatives posts about your choices, about where LET is going, about so many things. I like LET for 2 things that were, imho, only available here:

• community sharing or asking knowledges related to our regular low end use cases
    • getting lowest prices with providers who works hard to offer an experience similar to premium providers

Now there is another place surfing on the wave of departures, on the wave of new comers like me, on the wave of desperated providers trying to figure out if this other board will be a good fit for the futur of their adventures. And when i see that we can have almost the same thing (let's be honest, the other board looks a lot like a copycat.......) where providers doesn't have to pay so they are coming more and more, it's confusing on a part, and it creates some fears on the other part.

Time will tell us, it's your board after all, your business, and we have the choice to stay as we are still welcome from what i can see, we have the choice to move out if it's not what we want or expect.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Not_Oles
  • AractusAractus Member
    edited April 2022

@jbiloh said: We sure do. Anyone who is having issues we invite to contact us via our support desk (https://support.lowendtalk.com) or to create a thread, whatever is more convenient for them.

We have fixed many issues reported by our users before and so we definitely value user feedback.

I will monitor to see, but I'm pretty confident the problem is the forum. FF 99.0.1 (64-bit) on Windows 10. All the icons & avatars will start out fine when first loaded, but will slowly disappear and break when browsing until I have to do a hard refresh (ctrl-F5). It could easily have something to do with CDN caching, Cloudflare is rubbish in Australia they rout everything overseas even if it's from an Australian server - I'm not a fan.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited April 2022

@Aractus said:
    Cloudflare is rubbish in Australia they rout everything overseas even if it's from an Australian server - I'm not a fan.

Unfortunately Cloudflare's PoPs in Australia are considered to be "premium" and are often only used on paying websites, and even then not always. I believe when they don't want to route to Aus they go via Singapore instead. Would have thought they would be in use for LET though.

I'm not sure how it could cause that problem anyway - if the problem is reproducible maybe it would a good idea to keep the developer tools network log open while browsing and see what the requests are doing (Are they hanging or failing? Why are they failing?)

@Aractus said:

@jbiloh said: We sure do. Anyone who is having issues we invite to contact us via our support desk (https://support.lowendtalk.com) or to create a thread, whatever is more convenient for them.

I will monitor to see, but I'm pretty confident the problem is the forum. FF 99.0.1 (64-bit) on Windows 10. All the icons & avatars will start out fine when first loaded, but will slowly disappear and break when browsing until I have to do a hard refresh (ctrl-F5). It could easily have something to do with CDN caching, Cloudflare is rubbish in Australia they rout everything overseas even if it's from an Australian server - I'm not a fan.

I've made a few changes to our cache settings in CF so perhaps that will solve this problem for you.

I've not been able to reproduce it here on my couple test PCs, but that doesn't mean the issue does not exist.

Let me know if you see it again. If you do, could you try another browser to see if the problem follows?

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited April 2022

@jbiloh said: Let me know if you see it again. If you do, could you try another browser to see if the problem follows?

The right step here isn't to "try another browser". That's equivalent to L1 support folks' "have you tried turning it off and on again", something just said as a feel-good measure, but doesn't actually solve the problem.

Like @Erisa mentioned, the correct step here is to ask for a HAR file, look at the error console, and potentially ask for a packet capture (though this can come later once the kind of error has been isolated using the first two) with the SSLKEYLOGFILE environment variable set before launching the browser.

Thanked by 2Erisa WSWD
  • @Erisa said: I'm not sure how it could cause that problem anyway - if the problem is reproducible maybe it would a good idea to keep the developer tools network log open while browsing and see what the requests are doing (Are they hanging or failing? Why are they failing?)

I use the dev tools all the time, not sure what to tell you - it doesn't affect other Vanillas only this one one.

@jbiloh said: I've not been able to reproduce it here on my couple test PCs, but that doesn't mean the issue does not exist.

Let me know if you see it again. If you do, could you try another browser to see if the problem follows?

Will do. I'll have to see it reproduce on this one before trying another browser, but as mentioned it happens after keeping the tab open for some length of period and browsing (it can happen to multiple tabs though)

• ErisaErisa Member

@Aractus said: I use the dev tools all the time, not sure what to tell you - it doesn't affect other Vanillas only this one one.

What you should be finding is what the requests are doing.

While browsing and having the problem happen, keep the dev tools open. When the problem happens, check the network log and the console output. You should see requests for images from the CDN. Do they error? Do they timeout?

You can also collect this data in a HAR file, but you should only send that to someone trusted who knows what to do with it, because the information inside can be sensitive.

@Aractus said:

@Erisa said: I'm not sure how it could cause that problem anyway - if the problem is reproducible maybe it would a good idea to keep the developer tools network log open while browsing and see what the requests are doing (Are they hanging or failing? Why are they failing?)

I use the dev tools all the time, not sure what to tell you - it doesn't affect other Vanillas only this one one.

@jbiloh said: I've not been able to reproduce it here on my couple test PCs, but that doesn't mean the issue does not exist.

Will do. I'll have to see it reproduce on this one before trying another browser, but as mentioned it happens after keeping the tab open for some length of period and browsing (it can happen to multiple tabs though)

How often does the issue happen?

• AractusAractus Member
    edited April 2022

All the time - it just happened to all the avatars again. Nothing but a hard refresh (ctrl-F5) brings them back. Even with uBlock Origin disabled, right-clicking and selecting "reload image" doesn't work nor does F5. Nothing shows as activity in the network tab for those images, the network request doesn't exist almost as if the forum software is purposefully catching it and blocking it. It doesn't happen for me on any other forum including Vanilla.

edited April 2022

@Aractus said:
    All the time - it just happened to all the avatars again. Nothing but a hard refresh (ctrl-F5) brings them back. Even with uBlock Origin disabled, right-clicking and selecting "reload image" doesn't work nor does F5. Nothing shows as activity in the network tab for those images, the network request doesn't exist almost as if the forum software is purposefully catching it and blocking it. It doesn't happen for me on any other forum including Vanilla.

Does it happen with other browsers?

I'll pm you so that we can carry on outside of the thread.