Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 34
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• Ah ok so you have been registered in Delaware and I assume complete annual tax filings with them? Do you have an office in Delaware or is it just a virtual office?

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@noobjockeys said:
    Ah ok so you have been registered in Delaware and I assume complete annual tax filings with them? Do you have an office in Delaware or is it just a virtual office?

Yes, we pay Delaware, and have a good standing statement. And we pay California and Fed taxes. We don’t have a physical office in Delaware.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2022

@Saahib said:
    LEB frontpage is currently (again) all racknerd.

Looks like LEB staff hurriedly made a new post which is not really a post and doesn't make sense. Guess what, that post is talking about this discussion and is failing in it, also with special mention of @KermEd .

@Nekki said:
    This is how you know all the grand plans are bollocks. If there was a serious intent to make LEB something better than it is, have one provider all over the first page would be stopped long before now.

All I can see that now dustinc owns LET and @jbiloh is just face to make it look unbiased towards other providers and members.
    OR
    dustinc is majority holder in LET.
    OR
    He is paying really good to LET if he doesn't own LET yet.

And recent discussion and evaluation by fellow members clearly indicate that LET brings heaps of business to dustinc, its no shame to invest in such platform to get more business.

@noobjockeys said:
    Ah ok so you have been registered in Delaware and I assume complete annual tax filings with them? Do you have an office in Delaware or is it just a virtual office?

I think there is no problem that @dustinc is associated with LET or how he runs his business but he should be fair. Looking so far, there is nothing bad in investing to bring in business but please stop playing pseudo game of being fair, be open and people will appreciate it.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur WSWD

@Saahib said:

@Saahib said:

Looks like LEB staff hurriedly made a new post which is not really a post and doesn't make sense. Guess what, that post is talking about this discussion and failing, also with special mention of @KermEd .

@Nekki said:

>

This is how you know all the grand plans are bollocks. If there was a serious intent to make LEB something better than it is, have one provider all over the first page would be stopped long before now.

All I can see that now dustinc owns LET and @jbiloh is just face to make it look unbiased towards other providers and members.
    OR
    OR

And recent discussion and evaluation by fellow members clearly indicate that LET brings heaps of business to dustinc, its no shame to invest in such platform to get more business.

I don't own it, or have a % of it. I understand some might argue I do, and that's OK.

Simply just a normal provider here that is putting in the work and taking advantage of the freebies, and now paid tag while all within the rules.

We do spend thousands on banner advertisements on LEB/LET and that's no secret, the conversions are great, and it's our way of supporting the community, and we find other creative ways to give back to the community members by doing giveaways. I can confirm that LEB/LET has a great ROI when it comes to business, so it is mind boggling when providers get lazy, and or simply do not take advantage of the freebies.

I should also say if Jon was to ever sell it? Yeah, I'd buy it.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • edited April 2022

@stevewatson301 said
    Good job, lowendtalk has been killed.
    "some invite codes to the MJJ nest."
    Yeah Mr. Biloh, totally not censorship, right. LES called & said "Thanks!"

What is the "MJJ Nest?"

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Saahib said:

@Saahib said:

Looks like LEB staff hurriedly made a new post which is not really a post and doesn't make sense. Guess what, that post is talking about this discussion and is failing in it, also with special mention of @KermEd .

@Nekki said:

OR
    OR

Nah, I think what we have here is a symbiotic relationship. Jon craves traffic and sign-ups, and doesn't care how he gets them. Dusty needs a forum with lax moderation that's going to allow him to do the sort of spammy stuff he does here. It's a win-win for both of them, although I have to say I think Dusty has pulled a blinder and has had Jon's pants down and he hasn't even realised.

@dustinc said: I should also say if Jon was to ever sell it? Yeah, I'd buy it.

Given what you're making, and given that you can pretty much generate your own ad traffic, you should definitely make him an offer.

• zedzed Member

@Nekki said:

Given what you're making, and given that you can pretty much generate your own ad traffic, you should definitely make him an offer.

remember how we eventually found out cc had obtained ownership of let.. i know it's not an identical situation, but i read these threads and wonder if i'm really the only person experiencing deja vu.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ bulbasaur
  • @zed said:

@Nekki said:

remember how we eventually found out cc had obtained ownership of let.. i know it's not an identical situation, but i read these threads and wonder if i'm really the only person experiencing deja vu.

You are not the only one, no :-)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2022

@Saahib said: Looks like LEB staff hurriedly made a new post which is not really a post and doesn't make sense. Guess what, that post is talking about this discussion and is failing in it, also with special mention of @KermEd .

Damn, you made me look. And yeah, WTAF? My eyes and head hurt :)

Thanked by 1Saahib
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Lee said:

@Saahib said: Looks like LEB staff hurriedly made a new post which is not really a post and doesn't make sense. Guess what, that post is talking about this discussion and is failing in it, also with special mention of @KermEd .

Holy shit, that’s a fucking train wreck.

• ErisaErisa Member

@Lee said:

I'm scared. I'm so afraid. I don't think my poor mortal soul can comprehend this.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Nekki said: although I have to say I think Dusty has pulled a blinder and has had Jon's pants down and he hasn't even realised.

As far as both are concerned, whilst their lips are moving I know they are lying. Just my view though.

That said they have both pulled a blinder, one is getting the traffic up, more money and increasing the value of the asset. The others success it would be fair to say has come largely off the back of the reach around agreement with the other.

Fair play. Does it really make a big difference to LET for where it is right now? I don't think so, clearly, others have a different view and that is fair. But from what I can see it is non-providers that have more of an issue in this thread than providers.

Plenty of ways providers can get their deals on here, no provider tag is needed. I am sure they know that.

• Wow, that LEB post is pure bullshit.
    All hail the one who wouldn't ban someone who disagrees with him. 😂

This is definitely turning into a serious train wreck.

• taizitaizi Member

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@stevewatson301 said
    Good job, lowendtalk has been killed.
    "some invite codes to the MJJ nest."
    Yeah Mr. Biloh, totally not censorship, right. LES called & said "Thanks!"

What is the "MJJ Nest?"

just a MJJs forum

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • @NobodyInteresting said:
    Wow, that LEB post is pure bullshit.

I have to respectfully disagree. The magic to @jbiloh's success is his thick skin & ability to forgive members in order to give them 2nd (3rd) chances. Under most other leaders, 30% of this community would be permanently banned. That is a noble & rare quality that Jon has.

I became active on WebHostingTalk in 2006 and was there for 14 years before joining LET. WHT is significantly less forgiving than Jon and is incredibly less fair.

Coming from WebhostingTalk, LET is a breath of fresh air and Jon deserves to implement some fees for his hard work.

That is the one thing we SHOULD take from WebhostingTalk, their fee structure. I suggest allow Providers 1 free ad per month and if they want more, they can upgrade to the $100/year level to post twice per month, and $200/year for unlimited ads.

Then create a members only section for a fee like at WHT.

If @jbiloh continues with his current plan of forcing all Providers to pay $200/year to be able to post any ad, then the bulk of LET will simply move to LES.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@dustinc said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @dustinc said:

By the way, and I sincerely offer this, if you need business/marketing assistance, I'd be happy to help. Even chatting over the phone, etc.

Please grab a provider tag, and then connect me for on the house marketing/sales tips.

Hey Dustin! May I please have this kind of help too? Thanks! Tom 🙂

Hi @Not_Oles! Absolutely, would love to help! Send me an email [email protected]

Hi Dustin! Email sent! Thank you! :)

• WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2022

@Lee said:

Holy shit, that’s a fucking train wreck.

Just think, the $200 fees are being used to pay people to write that garbage. Well...that and Youtube videos for Alpharacks. Wow!

Thanked by 2Aractus adly
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited April 2022

I have... very mixed feelings on the subject. I definitely think my content is a bit negative for LEB, I'm glad I'm semi-anonymous, and I don't know that my discussive contributions are important enough to include. But I do appreciate the intention. So I don't know really how to respond on that subject.

... Soooo

On the Dustin side, I don't think there is anything to brag about business model wise here, although he is clearly competent and capable. But many people seem to feel his approach has created a negative experience on LET, and I'm not sure morally or ethically if many hosts want to copy that model. It's just a spam technique, but I think this covers it. Although I think others might be able to say it in more precise terms.

Debated topic:

• Scam people for services
    • Shut down services
    • Use money to found a new host

Current topic:

• Do low value giveaways that cost nothing and require ad bumping content (i.e. bandwidth updates)
    • Pair with other low value giveaways to get voted best provider - the only thing that matters is free thread bumps
    • Save to eventually do limited valuable giveaways, try and get the host provider to pay someone to make ad/video content for you
    • Spam the same sponsored content for ads - break small rules to spam more than others as long as you get away with it
    • Convince yourself 1-touch contact messages matter, convince others and forum hosts as well so they think the relationship goes 2-ways
    • Suggest that you know something special that others don't, attack businesses that don't follow your values, and convince yourself that success only matters in revenue
    • Brag until you are blue in the face. One day you'll be bankrupt and need to convince people you know something proprietary and of value - that really only works if you convinced them before you fail in front of them. When you do fail, pretend it wasn't you, blame others.
    • Try your best to be professional, even when bragging, attacking others or being attacked
    • Maintain momentum until you can reach a self sustaining mass.
    • Pretend that there is no limit and no critical mass for your growth

I think that sums up the entire approach - it's just spam marketing, and making sure you are louder than everyone else. No need to send special DMs or ask for advice. You just have to be ethically comfortable with your decisions and be confident in what kind of person you decide to be. I don't discredit the approach, it's just very short term, and you need to dissullision yourself and your value. It works to be profitable for the first couple companies doing it, but once you get past 3 or 4 the forum platform just becomes an endless ad platform. So you need to be one of the first to spam like hell and get there before everyone else.

@KermEd said:
    I have... very mixed feelings on the subject. I definitely think my content is a bit negative for LEB, I'm glad I'm semi-anonymous, and I don't know that my discussive contributions are important enough to include. But I do appreciate the intention. So I don't know really how to respond on that subject.

... Soooo

On the Dustin side, I don't think there is anything to brag about business model wise here, although he is clearly competent and capable. But many people seem to feel his approach has created a negative experience on LET, and I'm not sure morally or ethically if many hosts want to copy that model. It's just a spam technique, but I think this covers it. Although I think others might be able to say it in more precise terms.

Debated topic:

• Scam people for services
    • Shut down services
    • Use money to found a new host

Current topic:

• Do low value giveaways that cost nothing and require ad bumping content (i.e. bandwidth updates)
    • Pair with other low value giveaways to get voted best provider - the only thing that matters is free thread bumps
    • Save to eventually do limited valuable giveaways, try and get the host provider to pay someone to make ad/video content for you
    • Spam the same sponsored content for ads - break small rules to spam more than others as long as you get away with it
    • Convince yourself 1-touch contact messages matter, convince others and forum hosts as well so they think the relationship goes 2-ways
    • Suggest that you know something special that others don't, attack businesses that don't follow your values, and convince yourself that success only matters in revenue
    • Brag until you are blue in the face. One day you'll be bankrupt and need to convince people you know something proprietary and of value - that really only works if you convinced them before you fail in front of them. When you do fail, pretend it wasn't you, blame others.
    • Try your best to be professional, even when bragging, attacking others or being attacked
    • Maintain momentum until you can reach a self sustaining mass.
    • Pretend that there is no limit and no critical mass for your growth

I think that sums up the entire approach - it's just spam marketing, and making sure you are louder than everyone else. No need to send special DMs or ask for advice. You just have to be ethically comfortable with your decisions and be confident in what kind of person you decide to be. I don't discredit the approach, it's just very short term, and you need to dissullision yourself and your value. It works to be profitable for the first couple companies doing it, but once you get past 3 or 4 the forum platform just becomes an endless ad platform. So you need to be one of the first to spam like hell and get there before everyone else.

Very good points, so the moral of the story is if you're not first, you're last.

• @noobjockeys said:

@Nekki said: Without LET/LEB, would your business be fucked?

... over 80% of Racknerd's traffic is BRAND or REFERRAL. This means that in terms of ORGANIC traffic not many people find Racknerd from traditional searches ...
    If LET was to die today, Racknerd would see a colossal drop in traffic/orders.

I just wanted to say I think this is actually quite well said.

Thanked by 1noobjockeys
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Wow, that LEB post is pure bullshit.

I have to respectfully disagree. The magic to @jbiloh's success is his thick skin & ability to forgive members in order to give them 2nd (3rd) chances. Under most other leaders, 30% of this community would be permanently banned. That is a noble & rare quality that Jon has.

It's nothing to do with nobility. Jon wants the page views generated by the dissenting voices, pure and simple.

• Serious question. How many people here on LET believe that the Earth is flat and not round?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@dahartigan said:
    Serious question. How many people here on LET believe that the Earth is flat and not round?

It's hollow, and inside is where the psychic demonic vampire pedophiles who control the world's governments live. They're hundreds of years old and feed on discarded children from Planned Parenthood dumpsters, mainly. When that is scarce they collect children from Disney Cruiseships.

Duh.

• @Francisco said: This was more or less confirmed by Jon in the provider thread. He stated there was around 300 active providers and "we are completely in the black" required 200+ active subscriptions.

"In the black" means you are making a profit.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Aractus said:

@Francisco said: This was more or less confirmed by Jon in the provider thread. He stated there was around 300 active providers and "we are completely in the black" required 200+ active subscriptions.

"In the black" means you are making a profit.

....right, The LowEnd sites are a for-profit venture.... :)

Up until the provider tag the sites were operating in the red. It's possible Jon's been able to make some infrastructure changes, and the paying providers, have helped him get it above water, but I don't know if he's going to share that.

Francisco

• @PUSHR_Victor said: You can never rise the price of a product unless you first rise the value in a very significant and obvious way that applies to the larger part of your customers. Only then it is justified, but still calls for grandfathering some part of the user base.

Yeah this is the point I made earlier. The forum is buggy for example, this happens all the time:

And you have to refresh just to get all the avatars and icons to load. You should make the forum function perfectly before charging people for it. That's hardly the only bug either - there's no scrollbar in the comment box which is frustrating as hell when you're wring a multiple-paragraph reply.

@mgcAna said: This thing is really hot here, I visited a while back and since then there a have been lots of comments. As someone new here, this thread gives me impression that there are lots of passionate members here. Even though they are angry from management of this forum but they can't ignore this place.

My view is that owner is only trying to make sure that even if forum is dead (may be because of members leaving for reasons) , he has something still working which is Lowendbox.com by grace of organic traffic, so his current goal is to get more and more articles there. Even if it is by making members of forum furious by charging for some extra privileges in form of some tag.

LET has lost its way really. The oldest still running low-end hosting forum is freewebspace.net and it's technically still around (filled with SPAM), times have largely moved on from its heyday. One of my very first shared hosts was from there, and they never charged me a cent and the hosting was good quality. That was back when the alternative to shared hosting was Geocities and the like. A lot of providers used it as a way to get customers that would upgrade to paid accounts once they reached their resource usage. The first one that I had would just increase my bandwidth or space without me even needing to ask! When I think about the dumb websites I would host on my free hosting plans, I look back and I'm grateful because it meant I always had a platform to code html, css, javascript, vbscript, and php doing everything in Windows Notepad.

LET is, or at least was, a more all-around low-end discussion forum. WHT as others have mentioned adds real value to providers who purchase premium account subscriptions - it's optional, but many prefer to pay for the benefits. LET (at least as of now) is not providing much in the way of a premium value to those who pay for a provider account. I think a lot of low-end providers are just going to move over to the OGF and call it a day.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Aractus said:
    I think a lot of low-end providers are just going to move over to the OGF and call it a day.

Won’t happen, OGF is almost a graveyard. Better to pay the fee and actually get some eyeballs.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Nekki said: Won’t happen, OGF is almost a graveyard. Better to pay the fee and actually get some eyeballs.

That's because it was set up as a clone of LET (it even runs on Vanilla - although their one actually works properly) and a lot of people me included ignored it until now. Give it time. Freewebspace.net was once a thriving community too.

To Jon's credit he explained things well and took on my observations/listened to some of my suggestions - but when you're own forum software doesn't function properly and your main competitor's ones do then just the user-experience alone will drive people to other forums.

@jbiloh said: The level of laziness of many, perhaps most, small hosts is unbelievable. The level of teeth pulling that goes into getting folks to submit news, take part in interviews, etc, is stunning.

I can't believe you said that about your own members!

@Nekki said: There’s a reason you don’t get engagement, maybe have a look at what you’re doing rather than just dump all the blame the hosts.

Yep.

I only joined here in 2019, but I'd been a lurker for a while (probably not since 2010 but long enough). The downward trend has been obvious for a while.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Aractus said:

@Nekki said: Won’t happen, OGF is almost a graveyard. Better to pay the fee and actually get some eyeballs.

That's because it was set up as a clone of LET (it even runs on Vanilla - although their one actually works properly) and a lot of people me included ignored it until now. Give it time. Freewebspace.net was once a thriving community too.

It was setup to be a clone of the old, drama free, relatively quiet LET, one that’s not such an attractive proposition to providers.

They new moderators don’t want the sort of shenanigans that makes LET popular and brings the traffic.

If LET dies providers might bother posting offers there, otherwise, not happening IMO.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur