Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jsg said:
    @jar

I do agree with you but I find your harsh reaction totally unacceptable because @default's point that providers should make&have backups too is not wrong but a view I agree with.

Maybe it would be helpful to differentiate: To have a backup (as a provider) isn't necessarily the same as sharing it with non-paying customers.
    So actually I see two questions and mangling them into one seems to be the cause of your, uhm, misunderstanding. Yes, @default is right, a provider should have (reasonably up to date) backups, so if something within his responsibility goes wrong, he can mitigate. And yes, you are right too in that (usually, depending on provider) customers must pay for backup of their stuff.

I think you missed it. One of his points is that he thinks providers should have backups. Another one of his points is a rebuttal to "You should expect that most providers are not taking backups of your VM unless you are clearly paying for that kind of service."

You know as well as I do that there is no rebuttal to that. You can say it should be different, you can say you wish it was different, but you cannot say it is different. Not unless you find the statement to be threatening to your opinion and you're willing to put the facts in the backseat, of course.

edited November 2021

It is, because in no other backup thread you got so butthurt

That's because you're not in any other thread riding my dick about it. How fucking dense are you? Are you actually this stupid or did you have to work to get there? It's like all the lights are on but you just can't connect the dots for the life of you. How about you just fuck off and never tag me again? Your bias is your only personality trait @default , and you're too stupid to even figure out what threatens your bias and what doesn't. So please, just fuck off.

• @jar said:

It is, because in no other backup thread you got so butthurt

How about you just fuck off and never tag me again?

Request accepted. Respect.

Thanked by 2jar Erisa
  • Pure fried fucking gold.

@Nekki said:
    Pure fried fucking gold.

You pound the gold into powder while I go find a mirror.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @default how about you actually try to address the concerns (namely, your inability to comprehend that most providers don't keep backups due to pricing and the difficulty of making consistent backups in the first place) rather than throwing words like "#stalliongang" which only serve to stir up drama?

Of course, you're not here for regular conversation, you have a weird obsession with BuyVM since its owner pointed out that Borta ran away with the money, but that is a statement of fact, and trying to frame it as a rivalry or bad blood is plainly wrong.

Thanked by 2M66B TimboJones
  • @stevewatson301 said:
    @default how about you actually try to address the concerns (namely, your inability to comprehend that most providers don't keep backups due to pricing and the difficulty of making consistent backups in the first place)

I am not talking about "consistent backups". I am merely addressing the backups problem. Any backup (2 months old) is still better than no backup at all. It shows the customer that you have something, anything, making him feel valuable and easing up on his misfortune to lose data. At least not all data is lost. It's about showing you care so much as to use some old second-hand drives for a cold storage.

rather than throwing words like "#stalliongang" which only serve to stir up drama?

It's a 19 page thread in just one day which blamed the customer mostly? It is a #StallionGang

Of course, you're not here for regular conversation,

Now I must admit I like a popcorn drama. But I also like a good conversation. In my opinion both parties are at fault. Customers should have regular backups! But hosts should have some backups too!

you have a weird obsession with BuyVM

No. I don't even know the owner.

since its owner pointed out that Borta ran away with the money, but that is a statement of fact, and trying to frame it as a rivalry or bad blood is plainly wrong.

I don't think there is any connection between Borta and BuyVM. That was one involucration, this is another.

• @jar said:

@Nekki said:
    Pure fried fucking gold.

You pound the gold into powder while I go find a mirror.

Oh yeah, we gonna go get FUCKED UP!

Thanked by 1jar
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited November 2021

@jar said:
    ... Another one of his points is a rebuttal to "You should expect that most providers are not taking backups of your VM unless you are clearly paying for that kind of service."

You know as well as I do that there is no rebuttal to that. You can say it should be different, you can say you wish it was different, but you cannot say it is different. Not unless you find the statement to be threatening to your opinion and you're willing to put the facts in the backseat, of course.

@default

I didn't but glance over your discussions so I probably have missed some points, but if that really is what you two fought over then I'll have to wonder because @jar's POV is absolutely correct. One indeed definitely should act based on the assumption that a provider does not make/does not provide access to (his) backups, btw. if alone for the fact that one should at the very minimum have 1 backup off-site.

And that is exactly zero, nada to do with any particular provider.

Maybe the two of you simply mistook each other? (I'd have a hard time thinking that you would disagree with that).

I hope you all enjoyed the show, and for those on the edge of your seats I'd like to write it's closing chapter.

For years here I've been accused by person after person of bias, favoritism, and shilling. If or when I actually do those things, I'm quite open about it. I don't hide my motivations. I'll talk as openly to any of you here as you might to your therapist. Totally open book. But there's always been another motivation at play and I'll explain.

I could say the same thing in 15 threads about 15 providers, but if someone doesn't want me saying it about one provider, they'll accuse me of bias/shilling in only the threads about that provider. The purpose seems clear to me, it's to get me to not reply to threads about that provider. For whatever reason, my words are deemed threatening to the narrative they want to push. If they can social engineer it properly, I'll just not reply to the threads to "prove" that I'm impartial. Their frustration comes in not being able to get me to do that.

It's a trend that leads back to my time as admin here. Back then it was more about trying to social engineer me into making decisions. "If you don't ban this provider I hate, you must be a shill" seemed like the average sentiment around it.

This particular instance of it has been following me for some time, and frankly I've had enough of it. The best way to end something is to escalate it to it's furthest point and let everyone get it out of their system, me included. So thus concludes another instance, and hopefully we all understand each other such that we don't have to view each other as threatening to each other's opinions.

With that, I bid you all goodnight, and I thank you for providing the room for me to finalize this one.

• CheepCluckCheepCluck Member
    edited November 2021

Fried Node
    An absolute shitshow where someone just "trusted" something to be there when it wasn't. Then through a twist of fate, a node goes on a rampage and kills some innocent NVMe drives. Our grieving OP has lost it all, data and trust. Bridges blown up. A full on war, fucks are said and fucks aren't given.
    A harsh lesson was never learned, and just pushed back to the backburner. The fine folks at Microsoft premium support has their back now... or do they?
    Will there be another thread later down the road about how someone oopsed something for our poor lad, or will there finally be peace for their kind and trusting soul?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I think a customer should keep a backup to protect their data against their own fuckups.

I think a provider should also keep backups in case of their own fuckups.

I think it's not fair for customers to expect their provider to do backups for them due to the costs etc.

I think it's equally not fair for anyone to expect anyone to have backups of their data at all considering the costs, etc.

I think we all need to do better with backups. Customers and providers alike.

Is my thinking crazy here or what?

• Since this thread will most likely calm down now, I wish to express my thanks for all this reading so far. It was wonderful, even though the subject at hand was quite common, as OP is note the first consumer without backups, and sadly he won't be the last.

My advice: whoever you are, wherever you are, always make sure to have backups of your data. If possible, have backups of backups; and backups of backups from backups (you get the point).

Black Friday is just around the corner. That might be a great time to buy some cheap online storage, VPS storage, or even actual hard drives, with just the purpose of holding backups. This will be useful to avoid dramas like this on LET, and to avoid relying on someone else for your data recovery.

• I can't wait for another unsustainable offer to put my important data in :P

Black Friday is here soon guys.

• What a wholesome ending, nobody learned anything but that's alright.

Thanked by 2default TimboJones
  • wotetiwoteti Member
    edited November 2021

@dahartigan said:
    I think a customer should keep a backup to protect their data against their own fuckups.

I think a provider should also keep backups in case of their own fuckups.

I think it's not fair for customers to expect their provider to do backups for them due to the costs etc.

I think it's equally not fair for anyone to expect anyone to have backups of their data at all considering the costs, etc.

I think we all need to do better with backups. Customers and providers alike.

Is my thinking crazy here or what?

The party for whom loss of data hits harder benefits more for having backup in place, and therefore has more justification for paying its related costs/efforts.

edit: phew, what a thread. There should be a celebratory closing meme with music and dance.

• so...... what went wrong?

• @woteti said:
    edit: phew, what a thread. There should be a celebratory closing meme with music and dance.

I'll donate, literally first result of youtube search "music and dance".

Thanked by 1default
  • I FINALLY reach page 19 and I have two thoughts

1) is @Nekki being back the reason these threads are back?

2) This thread needs to be backed up in case LET goes down. Does LET have backups?

• @caracal said:
    I FINALLY reach page 19 and I have two thoughts

1) is @Nekki being back the reason these threads are back?

I must admit I find it suspicious too. It's gotta be his fault.

2) This thread needs to be backed up in case LET goes down. Does LET have backups?

No. LET is hosted on the edge between realms of multiverse, where the hosting reached a constant state of entropy. @jbiloh or @FAT32 can come with more details.

• Has @Nekki tried tagging @cociu maybe he will come back

Thanked by 1tux
  • @codelock said:
    Has @Nekki tried tagging @cociu maybe he will come back

Did you really have to ask that?

@Nekki said:

@cold said:
    oh, Nekki is alive ! he escaped from coccius basemenet

He tossed me out on the street once my anus prolapsed.

• @default said: Many providers offer backup. @Francisco asked for example, I gave Scaleway.

Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't see where Scaleway say that they make backups for everyone free of charge.

If you mean that one can pay for backups at Scaleway, then this is the same as at BuyVM.

If you mean that you once had an incident with your VPS at Scaleway, and you asked them whether they had a backup and they did, then this was nice for you, but it doesn't mean that every customer in such a situation will be so fortunate (because I don't see where Scaleway say that they make backups).

So we return to the original question (posed to you) of which (especially low-end) providers say that they make backups for free.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@angstrom said:

[...] If you mean that you once had an incident with your VPS at Scaleway, and you asked them whether they had a backup and they did, then this was nice for you [...]

You guessed it. I had a misfortune with a volume, and Scaleway had a backup from a couple of weeks. Contacted Scaleway support, and restored my volume from a backup of a couple of weeks old. It is true this is not stated in Scaleway terms, but I was happy I got some data back, for free.

• Welcome to LET, where one of the fundamental rules is "don't be a dick" but soon you'll realize most of us are dicks and are not afraid to show it.

Thanked by 3KermEd Erisa tux
  • ShamliShamli Member
    edited November 2021

@default said:

@angstrom said:

[...] If you mean that you once had an incident with your VPS at Scaleway, and you asked them whether they had a backup and they did, then this was nice for you [...]

You guessed it. I had a misfortune with a volume, and Scaleway had a backup from a couple of weeks. Contacted Scaleway support, and restored my volume from a backup of a couple of weeks old. It is true this is not stated in Scaleway terms, but I was happy I got some data back, for free.

Unless it is stated that they were automatically taking backups,even without user explicit permission/request,that would be a concern for privacy or secure centric people to run their server on....who knows....

Add:
    Except for shared hosting,when provider definitely should keep backup of the data regularly....

• @caracal you believe LET has value to the point that it deserves backup? ok

• party is still on going or not?

• Francisco should be banned!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

We are gettin' close, dudes.

666, go past it. Up we go!

This discussion has been closed.