Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• @user37489 said:
    BuyVM lost my VPS on Friday and didn't tell me, so when I needed it most on Sunday for work, RDP wouldn't connect and it caused me great pain.

In return, the only thing I want is for this thread to dissuade at least one potential new customer from signing up to BuyVM.

You do you. But what you're basically doing is pounce at a host for their semi-clumsy effort at being transparent.

@Francisco did not have to mention anything about bringing his drives home or riser cards.

A bigger, more expensive host once told me 24 hours-ish after a VM died (I paraphrase): your physical node died, now you're on a new node. (insert diplomatic apology about inconvenience caused here). The end.

No other explanation given as to why it happened.

What happened to you could have happened with any provider, at any time. Your timing just happened to be unfortunate. That plus failed delivery of mailgun notification.

• @Nekki said:
    LETS ALL GO GET WAFFLES!

Can that BuyVM credit be redeemed for waffles?

• @CheepCluck said:

@Nekki said:
    LETS ALL GO GET WAFFLES!

It can ONLY be redeemed for waffles - at Fran’s House O’ Pancakes! They cook’em right in front of you on the smoking NVMe!

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited November 2021

@woteti said:
    @Francisco did not have to mention anything about bringing his drives home or riser cards.

A bigger, more expensive host once told me 24 hours-ish after a VM died (I paraphrase): your physical node died, now you're on a new node. (insert diplomatic apology about inconvenience caused here). The end.

No other explanation given as to why it happened.

I once had an issue on a slab which made my slice un-startable, Fran came clean and plainly said, no added bullshit, that he fat-fingered an rm which involucrated my slab along with the data on it.

While that does not excuse the mistake (which cost me millions btw, didn't learn anything, fuck backups), I appreciate the transparency and hope he does better next time.

Granted, a lot of people (mostly non-technical) can live and would probably be better off without that level of info and just be informed that their data has somehow been involucrated. Ignorance is bliss.

tl;dr: Fran is too honest

• I woke up... +150 comments.

@dahartigan I am with you. Forget about @jar and his opinion. According to him, customers should have backups, but hosts should not have backups of their precious business and valued customers (even though @jar is serious enough to have some backups of his business, but he wants to be the bodyguard here).

Everybody should have backups, including businesses. Let's not blame just one side here.

@dahartigan - Respect for trying to step up against #StallionGang

Thanked by 2dahartigan RedSox
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@default said:
    I woke up... +150 comments.

@dahartigan I am with you. Forget about @jar and his opinion. According to him, customers should have backups, but hosts should not have backups of their precious business and valued customers (even though @jar is serious enough to have some backups of his business, but he wants to be the bodyguard here).

Everybody should have backups, including businesses. Let's not blame just one side here.

@dahartigan - Respect for trying to step up against #StallionGang

I came in this thread to teach that the proper expectation is that hosts won't have backups of your VMs unless you clearly pay for them. If you would honestly pretend that this isn't a reasonable expectation and that users should instead expect something that is far less common purely to justify your hatred, how fucking worthless is your opinion?

If you would devalue your opinion so much as to lie about marketplace norms purely to fuel your own hatred, you are exactly as biased as you keep lying about me being. It means you will bend the facts and make up whatever you need to based purely on your bias.

Go do the work. Go start counting hosts that do backups of your VMs and compare them to the ones that don't. You're so fucking smart, go prove it you dumb fuck. At least grow a pair and put an affiliate link in your sig...oh wait. Worthless fucking shill.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @jar said:
    [...] you dumb fuck.

/ignore ... moving on.

edited November 2021

@default said:

@jar said:
    [...] you dumb fuck.

/ignore ... moving on.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I come here to spread a provider agnostic fact, one that I consistently share in every thread of it's type. You, being the stupid fucking shill that you are, lie about me doing something else that didn't fucking happen. Then you go as far as to lie about what expectations one should have in the marketplace purely to justify your blind hatred, and suddenly you don't have shit to say about it?

Fuck you, you fucking prick. At least tomorrow I'll come back and contribute to the community, you'll still be a worthless fucking shill that would lie to people just to make your points.

• CheepCluckCheepCluck Member
    edited November 2021

@Nekki said:

@CheepCluck said:

@Nekki said:
    LETS ALL GO GET WAFFLES!

It can ONLY be redeemed for waffles - at Fran’s House O’ Pancakes! They cook’em right in front of you on the smoking NVMe!

When they prep the waffles, do they:
    A) Wear an apron
    B ) Wear a towel
    C) None of the above
    D) Nothing at all

• @jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:
    [...] you dumb fuck.

/ignore ... moving on.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I come here to spread a provider agnostic fact, one that I consistently share in every thread of it's type. You, being the stupid fucking shill that you are, lie about me doing something else that didn't fucking happen. Then you go as far as to lie about what expectations one should have in the marketplace purely to justify your blind hatred, and suddenly you don't have shit to say about it?

Fuck you, you fucking prick. At least tomorrow I'll come back and contribute to the community, you'll still be a worthless fucking shill that would lie to people just to make your points.

Did you ensure support with that kind of language? It must have been really professional. You totally convinced me.

Thanked by 1RedSox

@default said:

@jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:
    [...] you dumb fuck.

/ignore ... moving on.

Did you ensure support with that kind of language? It must have been really professional. You totally convinced me.

Oh you don't like my language? Maybe don't be a lying prick then you stupid fuck. This is the only way you deserve to be talked to after honestly attempting to improperly educate users by egging on improper expectations solely to add volume to your bias against an individual. You act so fucking concerned about bias and fairness, yet you will literally make up alternative facts to push your personal agenda.

Fuck you.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:
    [...] you dumb fuck.

/ignore ... moving on.

Oh you don't like my language? Maybe don't be a lying prick then you stupid fuck. This is the only way you deserve to be talked to after honestly attempting to improperly educate users by egging on improper expectations solely to add volume to your bias against an individual. You act so fucking concerned about bias and fairness, yet you will literally make up alternative facts to push your personal agenda.

Fuck you.

Many providers offer backup. @Francisco asked for example, I gave Scaleway.

Thank you for the kind words and for the outstanding professionalism shown in this thread.

I stand by my statement: hosts should do some backups too, because it's their precious business and their valued customers. If a customer values their data to do backups, then hosts should value their customers even more, because the customer has chosen THAT host.

I need to plan doing backups of my emails from MXRoute it seems.

Thanked by 1RedSox
    edited November 2021

@default said:

@jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:
    [...] you dumb fuck.

/ignore ... moving on.

Fuck you.

Thank you for the kind words and for the outstanding professionalism shown in this thread.

I stand by my statement: hosts should do some backups too, because it's their precious business and their valued customers. If a customer values their data to do backups, then hosts should value their customers even more, because the customer has chosen THAT host.

Most don't unless you're paying for it. That's not about defending Fran, I know you can't wrap your mind around that. It's about setting expectations. If I run around saying to newbies "Every provider should have a backup" and that's the end of the story, when they lose their data because it doesn't exist that's on me. I know you don't care if that's on you, because you don't care about anyone but Fran. Fuck Fran. He's not relevant to this.

It's not reasonable to assume the backups exist just because you can name one or two providers that do it while the vast majority don't, and that's why it's important to set expectations that are relevant to the actual market at large. This isn't an opinion, this is fact and you know it. The only reason you won't admit that you know it is because you have one job here: Trash Fran. By all means go right ahead and trash Fran, why the fuck should I care? But don't lie about what I'm doing. You know I'm right because, again, it's not matter of opinion to say "Most providers are not backing up your VM unless you clearly authorize and pay for it."

I need to plan to backups of my emails from MXRoute it seems.

See you know it's another lie to suggest that I'm not making backups. But facts never stood in your way when you were on an anti-Fran rampage.

You keep getting me caught up with it. I'm in these threads because I'm in a lot of threads. I can be objective about friends, good or bad. I've given plenty of open criticism about BuyVM. Hell, I've chewed out friends over LET issues. But where the fuck are you when I'm doing it? No where, just waiting for the next thread that happens to be about BuyVM so you can once again lie about what I'm posting. It's in plain text but fuck man, the fuck is a fact to you but an obstacle?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:
    [...] you dumb fuck.

/ignore ... moving on.

Fuck you.

Most don't unless you're paying for it. That's not about defending Fran, I know you can't wrap your mind around that. It's about setting expectations. If I run around saying to newbies "Every provider should have a backup" and that's the end of the story, when they lose their data because it doesn't exist that's on me. I know you don't care if that's on you, because you don't care about anyone but Fran. Fuck Fran. He's not relevant to this.

It's not reasonable to assume the backups exist just because you can name one or two providers that do it while the vast majority don't, and that's why it's important to set expectations that are relevant to the actual market at large. This isn't an opinion, this is fact and you know it. The only reason you won't admit that you know it is because you have one job here: Trash Fran. By all means go right ahead and trash Fran, why the fuck should I care? But don't lie about what I'm doing. You know I'm right because, again, it's not matter of opinion to say "Most providers are not backing up your VM unless you clearly authorize and pay for it."

Here is another example: Cloudcone.

I can not speak for most of providers here. I have not tried most of providers, let alone ask for backups. However, you speak for most providers like you are the king of LET universe. Good for you I guess.

And please stop saying "and you know it". You do not know what I know. This is a form of disrespect to generalize something in order to force an ending to a conversation. This tactic does not work with me. And I refuse your disrespect.

I need to plan to backups of my emails from MXRoute it seems.

See you know it's another lie to suggest that I'm not making backups. But facts never stood in your way when you were on an anti-Fran rampage.

You keep getting me caught up with it. I'm in these threads because I'm in a lot of threads. I can be objective about friends, good or bad. I've given plenty of open criticism about BuyVM but where the fuck are you when I'm doing it? No where, just waiting for the next thread that happens to be about BuyVM so you can once again lie about what I'm posting. It's in plain text but fuck man, the fuck is a fact to you but an obstacle?

I know you do backups on MXRoute. And I respect that too. But defending so much a host here, and resorting to fist on mouth of others, plus offensive language, plus generalization like you know the whole market, all makes you look like you do not have backups. Sorry, but I can't trust your backups anymore.

EDIT: There is no AntiFran rampage. It's just that he did not have backups of his own business where he charged $60/month. I don't like such treatment to customer who opened this thread.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@default said: Cloudcone

Not free or am I blind? Please, show me where the backups are free (maybe you found some with it included?) or they mentioned DR backups "incase shit happens".

Your scaleway example is the same. The only thing I can find is that it's a paid addon, nothing free.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@default said: Cloudcone

Not free or am I blind? Please, show me where the backups are free (maybe you found some with it included?) or they mentioned DR backups "incase shit happens".

Your scaleway example is the same. The only thing I can find is that it's a paid addon, nothing free.

Francisco

With Scaleway I did a mistake, lost some data, requested a restoration, and it was done. I paid nothing extra.

With Cloudcone there are snapshots. Now they are paid, but when I used them they were not. Something changed, but it's good that the feature still exists.

Another example: Lunanode who has snapshots.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited November 2021

@default said: But defending so much a host here, and resorting to fist on mouth of others, plus offensive language, plus generalization like you know the whole market, all makes you look like you do not have backups.

jar is conveying how the industry operates. If you're unable to accept it for what it is (and neither of your examples of scaleway or cloudcone count because they are addons that the customer has to initiate, similar to BuyVM's snapshots), fine then, but saying that his position is illegitimate because it doesn't fit with what you think, isn't doing anyone a favor.

Of course, objective thinking hasn't been your strong suit, you've generally defended liars throughout your stay on LET.

• @Francisco said:

It got confusing because of their brand recombulation, but back when they were online.net all dedicated servers got free replicated backup FTP space. You still do now that it's scaleway, it's just only for the "dedibox" part https://www.scaleway.com/en/dedibox/storage/dedibackup/ for the cloud "elements" part I think it's snapshots only or DIY with their S3 product, which does technically offer some free space so I guess you could call that free backups too.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@default said: Another example: Lunanode who has snapshots.

At a cost.

It's possible Scaleway used to be free but started charging. Vultr was free, as was DO at the time, but I'm pretty sure both now charge.

We offer backups for a cheap % of the plan, and snapshots are free for everyone, no matter the plan size.

Francisco

• Hey guys! Some of us suffer from PTSD due to these threads.. stop fighting please.. While I'm a bit mad at Fran for shitting the bed on this, at least he is here and organizing his business to do better. Hotlineservers exit scammed without an explanation.

Currently downloading the 4am backups from my buyvm slab to my laptop

Thanked by 1default
  • @stevewatson301 said:

@default said: But defending so much a host here, and resorting to fist on mouth of others, plus offensive language, plus generalization like you know the whole market, all makes you look like you do not have backups.

jar is conveying how the industry operates. If you're unable to accept it for what it is (and neither of your examples of scaleway or cloudcone count because they are addons that the customer has to initiate, similar to BuyVM's snapshots), fine then, but saying that his position is illegitimate because it doesn't fit with what you think, isn't doing anyone a favor.

Of course, objective thinking hasn't been your strong suit, you've generally defended liars throughout your stay on LET.

It's subjective, but I respect your opinion.

edited November 2021

There you go again making shit up. I never defended anyone. We wouldn't be three pages into me telling you and someone else to go fuck yourselves if you'd get the fuck off my dick about posting common industry knowledge to people who I think could benefit from it.

And yeah, I'm the fucking king of hosts. That's fine. I'll take your stupid title if you need that. I've probably purchased services at more providers than anyone else here since 2011, and you already know where I've been with my job history. I do have experience and I do know that most providers are not silently making backups of your VM. You keep saying that's to defend Fran. No that's because of the PTSD I have about breaking news to DO customers that a hypervisor failed and because of people like you, I had to explain to them that the backups they thought I secretly had, I didn't.

I know what goes into making backups of KVM instances and I know the overhead involved in doing it reliably. I know the kind of overselling that is required to provide LET priced services and I know that it's hard enough to make a profit without doing all of that for free.

You say you don't know any of this and that's where I think you're not being genuine. I think you're playing dumb and withholding your knowledge because it helps you drive home the points you feel like you need to push your bias. You've been around here too long to not know this stuff. I'm not buying it.

I don't know why you're so insecure about your bias that you think common industry knowledge is a threat to it anyway. All you had to do was grab onto "You waited how long to notify your customers?" and you'd have carried that all the way to the goal line without any perceived pushback.

I was never part of your pushback. I truly enjoy helping people learn my industry. It is absolutely painful for me to watch people stumble through it when I could ease their suffering with a few words of wisdom. I can't fathom the kind of hatred you must have in your heart to be so against that. Because for all of the fun language I used above, I'll be over this in 8 hours, but for you this is clearly a lifestyle choice.

Thanked by 2Erisa dystopia
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@default said:
    With Cloudcone there are snapshots. Now they are paid, but when I used them they were not. Something changed, but it's good that the feature still exists.

Another example: Lunanode who has snapshots.

Just an FYI - unless specified otherwise, assume snapshots are on the same disks as your VM and will be lost if your VM is.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @default said:

@stevewatson301 said:

It's subjective, but I respect your opinion.

"Subjective" haha. Do I need to point to the relevant sections of the cociu thread where you were trying to stir the pot and defend cociu, and the benchmark thread?

Thanked by 2jar dystopia
  • @CheepCluck said:

@Nekki said:

@CheepCluck said:

@Nekki said:
    LETS ALL GO GET WAFFLES!

When they prep the waffles, do they:
    A) Wear an apron
    B ) Wear a towel
    C) None of the above
    D) Nothing at all

C) Horse mask and nothing else.

Thanked by 1CheepCluck
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

The amount of "f*ck" in this thread is more than what I will ever be getting.

• @FAT32 said:
    The amount of "f*ck" in this thread is more than what I will ever be getting.

You sort out some decent BF/CM deals and you’ll be swimming in dick.

• Btw my backup plan is an rsync command in my crontab and praying it keeps working. And even more praying I don't actually need it. My track record is flawless so far.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jar

I do agree with you but I find your harsh reaction totally unacceptable because @default's point that providers should make&have backups too is not wrong but a view I agree with.

Maybe it would be helpful to differentiate: To have a backup (as a provider) isn't necessarily the same as sharing it with non-paying customers.
    So actually I see two questions and mangling them into one seems to be the cause of your, uhm, misunderstanding. Yes, @default is right, a provider should have (reasonably up to date) backups, so if something within his responsibility goes wrong, he can mitigate. And yes, you are right too in that (usually, depending on provider) customers must pay for backup of their stuff.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@jar said:
    There you go again making shit up. I never defended anyone. We wouldn't be three pages into me telling you and someone else to go fuck yourselves if you'd get the fuck off my dick

You got your d*ck into this. And now you complain for people sitting on it?!

about posting common industry knowledge to people who I think could benefit from it.

Thank you for your input. We get it: customers need to do backups. But hosts should do too. Common sense is common because it goes both ways.

And yeah, I'm the fucking king of hosts.

Hold your tits. Nobody called you king, yet.

That's fine. I'll take the title.

So much modesty... it's overwhelming.

I've probably purchased services at more providers than anyone else here since 2011, and you already know where I've been with my job history.

You must be rich in VPS or something.

I do have experience and I do know that most providers are not silently making backups of your VM.

So much for care of their own business then.

You keep saying that's to defend Fran.

It is, because in no other backup thread you got so butthurt.

No that's because of the PTSD I have about breaking news to DO customers that a hypervisor failed and because of people like you, I had to explain to them that the backups they thought I secretly had, I didn't.

Thank you for the info.

I know what goes into making backups of KVM instances and I know the overhead involved in doing it reliably. I know the kind of overselling that is required to provide LET priced services and I know that it's hard enough to make a profit without doing all of that for free.

Than it should be stated in the terms and conditions that backups are not made if customer does not purchase it.

You say you don't know any of this and that's where I think you're not being genuine.

Thank you for consulting me you psychiatric doctor.

I think you're playing dumb and withholding your knowledge because it helps you drive home the points you feel like you need to push your bias. You've been around here too long to not know this stuff. I'm not buying it.

Maybe it's all in your head?

I don't know why you're so insecure about your bias that you think common industry knowledge is a threat to it anyway. All you had to do was grab onto "You waited how long to notify your customers?" and you'd have carried that all the way to the goal line without any perceived pushback.

I was never part of your pushback. I truly enjoy helping people learn my industry. It is absolutely painful for me to watch people stumble through it when I could ease their suffering with a few words of wisdom.

I know you like helping people, but you are also a proud member of #StalionGang

I can't fathom the kind of hatred you must have in your heart to be so against that. Because for all of the fun language I used above, I'll be over this in 8 hours, but for you this is clearly a lifestyle choice.

Thank you for knowing what is other people's heart. Thank you also for the (fun) offensive language.

This discussion has been closed.