Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 150
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• EmilEmil Member, Host Rep

@webcraft said:

@Emil said:
    We notified you about abuse on February 8th, first we asked for your response within 24 hours. 2 days later we asked for your response within 12 hours. We said that if we do not hear back, we have to place a suspension on the server (to stop the abuse). We never said we were going to terminate or disable your account.

The first thing we hear back from you is over 3 days later when you say that you have posted a review on LET and is demanding a refund.

Btw, you did get a response to the ISO ticket almost a month ago, we did not hear back from you and therefor it was auto closed 21 days ago.

It's how the Chinese deal with you. PayPal dispute as support ticket, chargeback to cancel order and "reviews" to not have to take action.
    The only thing I can understand is that customers are still frustrated by the so long non-existing support, hence probably a bit reluctant to deal with your support.

That I can understand and I'm the first to acknowledge when we have made a mistake so that we can do better, as can be seen in this thread. However in this particular instance we have not failed to give the customer support, in fact we have just been ignored when trying to help.

I would once again strongly recommend anyone with an issue to contact our support, PM me here or send an email to emil at hosthatch.com.

• @Daniel15 said:
    I wonder if anyone has ported the VirtIO drivers to older versions of Windows. Running Windows 95 in the cloud would be... an experience. 1 GB RAM and 10 GB disk would be more than enough. 😂

95 has that shit winsock trumpet shit. You'd want at least Win98se

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones said:

@Daniel15 said:
    I wonder if anyone has ported the VirtIO drivers to older versions of Windows. Running Windows 95 in the cloud would be... an experience. 1 GB RAM and 10 GB disk would be more than enough. 😂

I've tried 95 and 98 installs a few times in Proxmox and 95 actually gets further, but neither has completed (yet)

• @Mr_Tom said:

@TimboJones said:

@Daniel15 said:

I've tried 95 and 98 installs a few times in Proxmox and 95 actually gets further, but neither has completed (yet)

There's also that 98SE version with Millennium patches. Too lazy to Google for a link, sorry.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2021

But such old operating systems are vulnerable. Even if one gets them working, exposing them to internet will compromise them.

I still remember... good old memories...

• @default said: I still remember... good old memories...

That brings me back. Thanks.

• @default said: But such old operating systems are vulnerable. Even if one gets them working, exposing them to internet will compromise them

The thing is that nobody is really scanning for vulnerabilities in very old OSes any more.

Many years ago, I did an experiment where I set up a Windows XP (original, no patches) VM and exposed it publicly via my router's DMZ, so it was fully exposed to the internet. Wrote some scripts to alert me if network traffic for the VMWare process increased a lot, to catch if anything suspicious happened.

And... nothing happened. In the early 2000s I would have gotten a flood of Windows messenger service popups

along with other attacks (there were a bunch of vulnerabilities in the original XP that were patched in SP1 and SP2).

This was before randomware like WannaCry, so maybe things would have been different if I had the VM online while WannaCry was running wild.

Anyways, this is getting a bit offtopic now :smiley: sorry

Thanked by 1default
  • @Mr_Tom said:

@TimboJones said:

@Daniel15 said:

Challenge accepted..

• @Daniel15 said:
    And... nothing happened. In the early 2000s I would have gotten a flood of Windows messenger service popups

Back in 2002, there was a stat that a fresh WinXP that finished setup on a publicly exposed network would be hacked in 3 minutes and change.

And now Windows setup prompts for which network connection it's plugged into and defaults to public when not specified.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • Seems that the DDoS protection in Chicago will be turned on automatically when there's high inbound traffic, and 3-10ms latency will be added. It'll be switched off automatically after several hours.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @Chocoweb said:
    Seems that the DDoS protection in Chicago will be turned on automatically when there's high inbound traffic, and 3-10ms latency will be added. It'll be switched off automatically after several hours.

Noice!

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@its420somewhere said: Challenge accepted..

When I get time I keep playing around with it.

• When using their IPv6 in Stockholm, there're some strange random packet loss and "no route to host" error occasionally.

I googled then and it seems to be fixed after configuring net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1 in the sysctl.conf. I have no idea why this worked, but I'm posting here in case someone also met this issue.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • IPv6 is too complicate. yoursunny should stop shaming no IPv6.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@notarobo said:
    IPv6 is too complicate. yoursunny should stop shaming no IPv6.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @notarobo said:

I agree. IPv4 usually works while IPv6 usually doesn't work.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @notarobo said:

@yoursunny

• @sonic said:

@notarobo said:

@yoursunny

you are causing me anxiety now.

• @notarobo said:

@sonic said:

@notarobo said:

@yoursunny

you are causing me anxiety now.

OK

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Chocoweb said:

@notarobo said:

IPv6 is working very well in my rice jar, which has a /56. Every grain of rice I put in has an address.
    Yesterday I ate the xxxx:46f8:47a0:7832:c044:5000/116 bowl of rice.
    If I were to use IPv4 in the rice jar, it would have run out of addresses already.

If a provider doesn't have IPv6, how am I gonna eat?

Thanked by 2its420somewhere Ouji
  • @yoursunny said:

@Chocoweb said:

@notarobo said:

IPv6 is working very well in my rice jar, which has a /56. Every grain of rice I put in has an address.
    If I were to use IPv4 in the rice jar, it would have run out of addresses already.

hosthatch has eaten more salt than you eat rice.

• @notarobo said:

@yoursunny said:

@Chocoweb said:

@notarobo said:

hosthatch has eaten more salt than you eat rice.

Chinese proverb? May not understandable by most LETers.
    And, perhaps I mean, yoursunny may not be a China-born young man and don't understand salt and rice.

• Wondering if anyone's here got BGP with @hosthatch up?

@icez said:
    Wondering if anyone's here got BGP with @hosthatch up?

We started setting up the first customers this week and everyone with a ticket open will receive an update about their BGP session in the coming days.

Thanked by 3kend Unixfy lowendboi
  • @Emil said:

@icez said:
    Wondering if anyone's here got BGP with @hosthatch up?

We started setting up the first customers this week and everyone with a ticket open will receive an update about their BGP session in the coming days.

That's pretty cool! Will wait till then!

• How's BGP working for all of you? I guess silence means it got up and running and everyone is happy?

@tetech said:
    How's BGP working for all of you? I guess silence means it got up and running and everyone is happy?

We're currently rolling it out gradually. All customers was setup in Stockholm last week, today we are doing Los Angeles and Chicago. Should be finished with all locations by next week.

Thanked by 2skorous Unixfy
  • @Emil said:

@tetech said:
    How's BGP working for all of you? I guess silence means it got up and running and everyone is happy?

We're currently rolling it out gradually. All customers was setup in Stockholm last week, today we are doing Los Angeles and Chicago. Should be finished with all locations by next week.

Aha! I asked a bit too quick :smile: Will there eventually be a way for people who didn't open a ticket about BGP last November to get it? I'm at $17?/yr and would probably see about upgrading one of my services if I could still get BGP.

@tetech said:

@Emil said:

@tetech said:

Aha! I asked a bit too quick :smile: Will there eventually be a way for people who didn't open a ticket about BGP last November to get it? I'm at $17?/yr and would probably see about upgrading one of my services if I could still get BGP.

We will be able to offer BGP to the broader customer base once we have migrated over to our new upcoming hosting platform and have it automated it in a better way. Until then it does require some manual work and maintenance (keep in mind we have 14 locations) and we can only offer it to customers spending >$25/mo. I believe we said min. $180/year for Black Friday 2020 customers though which is still applicable.

• pbxpbx Member

@Emil said: migrated over to our new upcoming hosting platform

Any ETA for that?