Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 145
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• @Unbelievable said:
    @plumberg no matter what you think of @thinvps - the reality is the fact that hosthatch is still trying to cleanup from selling way too many services in relationship to his firms capacity to handle them. The support issues were defined over 2 months ago. Rational companies who are aware of issues (even before public acknowledgement 2 months ago) , can generally fix things in that time frame - unless they have a reason NOT TO. Easy to trash customers on LET; often harder to get Providers to offer support in a timely fashion, especially those with big sales on black friday

So does this warrant anyone to come and suggest ban the provider? Isn't this LET? I am not being biased towards anyone. It's not the best support and promises made are not kept, but for majority it's just working. It's like Donaldtrump not getting his way and ask for a coup

• UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited February 2021

@plumberg Seriously- how many times do people ask to ban providers on here or say they are scams- tons tons tons. You can say virmach was just fine cause most worked even though whmcs went to shit. Cocius has had many issues now hosthatch. Face it customers vent here all the time due to the insanity that some providers project into the marketplace. And regarding trump reference- doesnt apply. Vendors when they accept money for promised services enter into a contract to provide those services in a workmanlike timely fashion.

• @Unbelievable said:
    @plumberg Seriously- how many times do people ask to ban providers on here or say they are scams- tons tons tons. You can say virmach was just fine cause most worked even though whmcs went to shit. Cocius has had many issues now hosthatch. Face it customers vent here all the time due to the insanity that some providers project into the marketplace. And regarding trump reference- doesnt apply. Vendors when they accept money for promised services enter into a contract to provide those services in a workmanlike timely fashion.

Totally agree this is a place to vent! But not a place to accuse a provider or customer. Civic sense needs to prevail. But a customer claiming ignorance for not having any clue of the service levels and then crying is a little too much.

Not saying hh is out of the mud. They definitely need to step up and provide regular updates and quality support.

Hth

• icezicez Member
    edited February 2021

The 'debianuser' vulnerable here is NOT that dangerous UNLESS combined with other local privilege escalation vulnerable. In case you don't want to reinstall the os, you may kill all processes from that user, and then delete the user. But make sure you consult the security expert before doing so or you could just reinstall it and can be certain that there's no remnant left.

• ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited February 2021

@Pumberg. Thats the thing, when i mentioned possible chargeback on Lowend ~2weeks ago, i was attacked by moderator & crew saying if i chargeback, i will be asshole, dickhead and will be possibly banned. Thats why i kind a sarcastically now saying ban hosthatch :D On the other hand side, kind of mean it. TOS- sorry, but with such a non existent customer service and underperforming vps (latency and crazy hops), that tos means nothing. I can hardly call them a company. And i do have a lot providers, i spend about 150e/month for shits and giggles, i got at a moment hetzner dedi, cloud, nforce dedi, oneprovider etc. Thats the thing, oneprovider cheapest cloud is multiple times better in my instance. Server 10-30km away, only 10-13ms ping and 7 hops. Hosthatch also ~10-30km away, yet 49-59 ping and 23 hops across europe. My hetzner helsinki 3e/month cloud like 750km away, yet only 20ms and 11-12 hops. I got netcup too. HH server 10-30km away, acts like ~2000-3000km away server. Whats crazy hosthatch took a lot of time to respond in depth on my post here in my thread, talking about submiting ticket and will be answered asap etc, wrote 3 paragraphs, instead should have wrote small comment and use the rest of time to solve problem :) Their issues with customer support been for 2-3 months, should have been solved long ago. Unacceptable.

@unbelievable, thanks for understanding, highly appreciate. Hosthatch spends time here to justify themselves, instead should just start acting and put that time towards tickets.

@redgreenblue, honestly, if i wanted to donate money (in this case 22bucks), i can find million other ways to do it, donate for people in need etc. I live in best country (statistically. "men lie, women lie, stats dont"), money aint issue here in scandinavia. Its just i feel robbed, especially when i was called dickhead, asshole, and been offered a ban if i chargeback. This is shit show :) strange how admins and so called respected members go on hosthatch side, most likely getting favors from hosthatch :) And lastly, 99% customer is always right, to me it was weird how hosthatch responded on my thread, literally 3rd world level support (nothing to do to actually solving problem, just justifying themselves or whatever, and told submit ticket, and i will get answer asap. Been 1 solid week- no answer... turtle speed asap :D and 1st ticket 2+ weeks). For me its not about money, just wanting somewhat a service, and just send a message that others do not get sucked into hosthatch. By the way on the innitial approval at hosthach, and to receive my money- they were kind of responsive... once money received, support/contact was gone :D

Thanked by 1default
  • @ThinVps said: strange how admins and so called respected members go on hosthatch side, most likely getting favors from hosthatch

Don't be a dick.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@icez said:
    The 'debianuser' vulnerable here is NOT that dangerous UNLESS combined with other local privilege escalation vulnerable. In case you don't want to reinstall the os, you may kill all processes from that user, and then delete the user. But make sure you consult the security expert before doing so or you could just reinstall it and can be certain that there's no remnant left.

True, but this account has existed for some time now and on top of that if you remember, just about a week ago there was a sudo bug which allows privilege escalation ;)

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited February 2021

Just reinstalled with the Debian 10 template and there are still many references to debianuser.
    For example in /etc/aliases, /etc/gshadow, /etc/subgid and there is still a home directory for debianuser as well.

Not sure if the template really has been cleaned or just someone who in panic just removed the user... @hosthatch

Also not able to mount the debian-10.7.0 netinst ISO so can't reinstall from that. Also the upload ISO function works but can't mount it, nothing in dmesg and mount /dev/cdrom /mnt doesn't do anything.
    Changing boot order to ISO only and rebooting doesn't help, just boots into the OS.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @thedp said:

True, but this account has existed for some time now and on top of that if you remember, just about a week ago there was a sudo bug which allows privilege escalation

Exactly! So if your VM had this user in the past, better assume that it has been compromised and that the attacker could use it anytime in the future and start from a fresh install.

• @FrankZ said:

Don't be a dick.

Weird how a person writes lengthy comment, and only a very small piece was taken/quoted- to stir up more drama. Literally contributing nothing. By reading their comments, it looks like MO of theirs though. Just observation.

• @Shot2 said:
    Jan 31 16:14:19 storage-uk sshd[21019]: Accepted password for debianuser from 205.185.125.189 port 39242 ssh2

whois 205.185.125.189?
    ... Frantech :D

how to check this?

@ravenchad said:

@Shot2 said:
    Jan 31 16:14:19 storage-uk sshd[21019]: Accepted password for debianuser from 205.185.125.189 port 39242 ssh2

whois 205.185.125.189?

how to check this?

Check your auth logs.

• dosaidosai Member
    edited February 2021

@tomle said:
    Just reinstalled with the Debian 10 template and there are still many references to debianuser.
    For example in /etc/aliases, /etc/gshadow, /etc/subgid and there is still a home directory for debianuser as well.

Not sure if the template really has been cleaned or just someone who in panic just removed the user... @hosthatch

Also not able to mount the debian-10.7.0 netinst ISO so can't reinstall from that. Also the upload ISO function works but can't mount it, nothing in dmesg and mount /dev/cdrom /mnt doesn't do anything.
    Changing boot order to ISO only and rebooting doesn't help, just boots into the OS.

I was able to reinstall by upload ISO. Maybe the panel is buggy, give it a try after some time.

@ravenchad said:

@Shot2 said:

whois 205.185.125.189?

how to check this?

cat /var/log/auth.log

• While support is certainly slow, they did fix my issues: IPv4 blackholed in AMS, IPv6 for VIE and AMS
    I'm pretty happy with the performance of my vienna 40gb nvme box, the gitea running on it is extremely snappy. (Also drone CI master and sentry which profits from plenty of RAM)
    Cant say much about the 2TB of storage in AMS other than that it's still there with my data and has never rebooted, etc

So I hope that this company stays alive and well. Eventually they'll get ahold of all the issues some of their customers are facing. And those which require too much support volume will move on to another provider. Thus leaving the other customers with good and very cheap VPS.
    As for me, I'll certainly renew and possibly even upgrade my VPS with them if it continues on its current path.

• Incoming more tickets of people complaining about server compromised. Possible plot twist: refunds.

It seems a pandemic year (2020) could not end properly, not without a drama to last for the next year (2021). Maybe I should start becoming more superstitious, but then @deank would accuse me of PMS.

• @Daniel15 said:

@jon617 said: If no response, click the "Reconfigure Networking" button on the Networking tab on the Control Panel.

If you do this, make sure your interface is called eth0, otherwise you'll totally lose connectivity, because the "Reconfigure Networking" feature assumes the legacy naming scheme.

Some newer distros call it ens3 or enp0s3 instead. The old ethX names were based on the order the network card drivers are initialized in (eth0 is the "first" one, eth1 is the "second" one, etc), but that can have issues as it's not always predictable. The ensX names are based on the actual physical slot the network adapter (or virtual network adapter in this case) is in.

In that case, you need to enable the old naming scheme. On Debian, edit /etc/default/grub and add net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 to the command line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0"

Then run sudo update-grub -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Then "Reconfigure Networking" should work fine.

Thank you so much @Daniel15 After reinstall via upload ISO, I had issues with ipv6 so I followed your comment and it got fixed!

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@default said:

Incoming more tickets of people complaining about server compromised. Possible plot twist: refunds.

Complaining about an unmanaged service being compromised?

• @brueggus said:

@default said:

Incoming more tickets of people complaining about server compromised. Possible plot twist: refunds.

With a compromised image, or compromised by default, before the installation took place?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@default said:

@brueggus said:

@default said:

With a compromised image, or compromised by default, before the installation took place?

The image itself is not compromised, it contains a default account. Changing default passwords is a basic task, just like running yum update when you get a new server.

If you don't secure your server and it gets compromised, that's entirely your fault.

• @brueggus said:

@default said:

@brueggus said:

@default said:

The image itself is not compromised, it contains a default account. Changing default passwords is a basic task, just like running yum update when you get a new server.

If you don't secure your server and it gets compromised, that's entirely your fault.

It is an os template by solusvm provided by the provider.. the default account shouldnt have been there in the first place so providers should do something about it

Thanked by 1default

@snt said:

@brueggus said:

@default said:

@brueggus said:

@default said:

It is an os template by solusvm provided by the provider.. the default account shouldnt have been there in the first place so providers should do something about it

Put it this way and always keep in mind that when you're speaking of security, it's everyone's responsibility.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @thedp said:

@snt said:

@brueggus said:

@default said:

@brueggus said:

@default said:

Put it this way and always keep in mind that when you're speaking of security, it's everyone's responsibility.

True. Meanwhile birds are singing, unicorns are flying happy, rainbows are everywhere, and everybody is in peace and harmony, meditating about the well being of the whole world.

• @BotoX said:
    While support is certainly slow, they did fix my issues: IPv4 blackholed in AMS, IPv6 for VIE and AMS
    I'm pretty happy with the performance of my vienna 40gb nvme box, the gitea running on it is extremely snappy. (Also drone CI master and sentry which profits from plenty of RAM)
    Cant say much about the 2TB of storage in AMS other than that it's still there with my data and has never rebooted, etc

So I hope that this company stays alive and well. Eventually they'll get ahold of all the issues some of their customers are facing. And those which require too much support volume will move on to another provider. Thus leaving the other customers with good and very cheap VPS.
    As for me, I'll certainly renew and possibly even upgrade my VPS with them if it continues on its current path.

Yes very happy too. Have purchased a good number of boxes, all of them top notch in terms of stability and performance.

Thanks again to Hosthatch for the great deals.

• @ThinVps said:
    @Pumberg. Thats the thing, when i mentioned possible chargeback on Lowend ~2weeks ago, i was attacked by moderator & crew saying if i chargeback, i will be asshole, dickhead and will be possibly banned. Thats why i kind a sarcastically now saying ban hosthatch :D On the other hand side, kind of mean it. TOS- sorry, but with such a non existent customer service and underperforming vps (latency and crazy hops), that tos means nothing. I can hardly call them a company. And i do have a lot providers, i spend about 150e/month for shits and giggles, i got at a moment hetzner dedi, cloud, nforce dedi, oneprovider etc. Thats the thing, oneprovider cheapest cloud is multiple times better in my instance. Server 10-30km away, only 10-13ms ping and 7 hops. Hosthatch also ~10-30km away, yet 49-59 ping and 23 hops across europe. My hetzner helsinki 3e/month cloud like 750km away, yet only 20ms and 11-12 hops. I got netcup too. HH server 10-30km away, acts like ~2000-3000km away server. Whats crazy hosthatch took a lot of time to respond in depth on my post here in my thread, talking about submiting ticket and will be answered asap etc, wrote 3 paragraphs, instead should have wrote small comment and use the rest of time to solve problem :) Their issues with customer support been for 2-3 months, should have been solved long ago. Unacceptable.

@unbelievable, thanks for understanding, highly appreciate. Hosthatch spends time here to justify themselves, instead should just start acting and put that time towards tickets.

@redgreenblue, honestly, if i wanted to donate money (in this case 22bucks), i can find million other ways to do it, donate for people in need etc. I live in best country (statistically. "men lie, women lie, stats dont"), money aint issue here in scandinavia. Its just i feel robbed, especially when i was called dickhead, asshole, and been offered a ban if i chargeback. This is shit show :) strange how admins and so called respected members go on hosthatch side, most likely getting favors from hosthatch :) And lastly, 99% customer is always right, to me it was weird how hosthatch responded on my thread, literally 3rd world level support (nothing to do to actually solving problem, just justifying themselves or whatever, and told submit ticket, and i will get answer asap. Been 1 solid week- no answer... turtle speed asap :D and 1st ticket 2+ weeks). For me its not about money, just wanting somewhat a service, and just send a message that others do not get sucked into hosthatch. By the way on the innitial approval at hosthach, and to receive my money- they were kind of responsive... once money received, support/contact was gone :D

I was being sarcastic about chargebacks. Its not the best route.

As acknowledged by hosthatch they need to step up the game probably. I personally have support tickets answered in less than a couple hours.

Tos means an agreement. It has meaning in reality. You can choose to ignore it. But it will go against you always.

If you are spending over 150 euros then just move on from here. With regards to the tech issue and location distance and ping delay I am not an expert.

I think if the provider did respond in a right time you could not be satisfied with the answer and would have still created drama here about incompetent support. Its just the way it is

• ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited February 2021

@plumberg
    Support also has a meaning in reality- they do not provide it. 150 a month (i just ordered another server from leaseweb :D), does not mean i have to waste money left and right on crappy services. Warren buffet is one of the richest, but do not throw money left and right, as i said, if i wanted to donate it, definitely would donate not TO A VPS company :) I only had answered in decent fashion during account approval and when they needed my money. Once that was done, their support was gone- says a lot.
    HH probably gonna come here with lengthy comment, but it wont solve a problem, so would be great if that time would go towards actual problem- something that really counts :)
    HH came in boasting after my initial post how they beat other servers/providers in same location/area :D In reality, they 3-4 times worse in hops and latency than oneprovider in my area :)
    I would have been happy if they responded in timely fashion 8h-2days, ok 3 days, they did not, for 2-3 weeks now. I really rather solve the problem, than chargeback. Kind of trying to be civil and for the good of the community (current and possibly future clients).

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Compromised mind.

• @ThinVps said:
    @plumberg
    . Kind of trying to be civil and for the good of the community (current and possibly future clients).

Sure

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2021

@deank said:
    Compromised mind.

Compromised soul, if I have a soul.

• i had a cancel and refund to credit card, bank claims they didnt get the refund. Bank is suggesting me file an Expense Appeal Form. i dont know if it turns into a chargeback, i am hesitatant. hosthatch only provided a transaction id. any suggestions?