Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 143
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• @hosthatch - you really need to step up and handle the tickets of your clients. On Black Friday and Cyber Monday you came up with unbelievable offers and attracted lots of customers. Now it's time to man up and take care of their tickets and problems. Otherwise there will be lots of public bad feedback online, and you'll start losing more than you gained. You wanted clients, you got them, now take good care of them and their services.

• @default said:
    @hosthatch - you really need to step up and handle the tickets of your clients. On Black Friday and Cyber Monday you came up with unbelievable offers and attracted lots of customers. Now it's time to man up and take care of their tickets and problems. Otherwise there will be lots of public bad feedback online, and you'll start losing more than you gained. You wanted clients, you got them, now take good care of them and their services.

Already said this before.. they dont care.. :)

They are probably struggling with their support resources but are proud that they can provide cheap deals with what ever performance they have

Very unbalanced business model

• @fazar said:

@Daniel15 said:
    Has anyone created an "emergency" ticket for this? It seems like one of those rare cases where "make a loud noise about the ticket" is actually warranted, if dozens of VPSes on their network are potentially running malware.

I just opened emergency ticket. Hope they will give reply soon.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1820525/#Comment_1820525
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/829635/#Comment_829635

Try different method of contacting them?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2021

@snt said:

@default said:
    @hosthatch - you really need to step up and handle the tickets of your clients. On Black Friday and Cyber Monday you came up with unbelievable offers and attracted lots of customers. Now it's time to man up and take care of their tickets and problems. Otherwise there will be lots of public bad feedback online, and you'll start losing more than you gained. You wanted clients, you got them, now take good care of them and their services.

They are probably struggling with their support resources but are proud that they can provide cheap deals with what ever performance they have

This is not a business model. All this becomes a ticking bomb at some point, because in any moment this so called "business model" can turn and bite you in the ass. Imagine there are hundreds of delayed tickets for days, and something unexpected happens in data center. Many clients will wait for a day or two (because of known low support), but patience will dry out fast, as meanwhile services are down. Nothing will be able to stop the influx of bad publicity, making all future investments go sideways.

Personally I like a popcorn drama, but I like it more when people succeed and manage to contribute to humanity evolution.

• @default said:

@snt said:

@default said:

This is not a business model. All this becomes a ticking bomb at some point, because in any moment this so called "business model" can turn and bite you in the ass. Imagine there are hundreds of delayed tickets for days, and something unexpected happens in data center. Many clients will wait for a day or two (because of known low support), but patience will dry out fast, as meanwhile services are down. Nothing will be able to stop the influx of bad publicity, making all future investments go sideways.

Personally I like a popcorn drama, but I like it more when people succeed and manage to contribute to humanity evolution.

Lets just wait for their next excuse and promise

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2021

@snt said:

@default said:

@snt said:

@default said:

Lets just wait for their next excuse and promise

Excuses and promises are respected, and believed, when they are rare (for whatever reasons). In this scenario though, we have a thread active with unsatisfied people since Black Friday, that is more than 2 months. This has become a huge business problem with miscalculated customer reactions.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Has anyone noticed that practically every company that pushes big sales and does a big volume of orders on black friday and Christmas- usually winds up with a shitload of problems? All that grief to save a few dollars? is it really worth it as a customer?

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @Unbelievable said:
    Has anyone noticed that practically every company that pushes big sales and does a big volume of orders on black friday and Christmas- usually winds up with a shitload of problems? All that grief to save a few dollars? is it really worth it as a customer?

yes.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2021

@snt said: Lets just wait for their next excuse and promise

I am going to respond to these 3 people who are likely not even our customers and keep making posts like this. It's a pattern - you will see the same 3-4 people making these posts. I can tag them, but would be better if I just take screenshots of all the comments they have made so people can form more informed opinions.

Yes - there are delays on BGP provisioning, IPv6 reverse DNS, custom ISO being broken after using a bad URL etc - we do not consider these to be critical as we are already backlogged with more important issues and working as fast as we can. I am sorry you have not received a response to these issues, but you likely will once we have rolled out fixes for these issues. It has nothing to do with support as all of these are engineering issues and support cannot do anything other than to ask you to wait. I am sorry if IPv6 reverse DNS was the specific reason you signed up for the service. It is not working in some of the newer locations, and we do not have any ETA on resolution for now.

On the point of the Debian template that was compromised - this was an official SolusVM template. They confirmed that it was compromised with a secondary user, and we are in the process of reaching out to the affected customers now and fixing this.

To be clear - we are not the only provider that uses these templates. I am not shifting blame here - as it is our responsibility to provide a secured working OS template to our customers and not our suppliers', but again, this was an official SolusVM template. Any other provider using the same template (which is a lot of them) is compromised - and hopefully SolusVM will be emailing their customers about this.

Thanked by 3fazar pbx the_doctor

@redgreenblue said:
    Hosthatch's proposition of good performance at lower price is turning out to be expensive, upon factoring the time needed to clean up following this compromise due to the fault in their Debian template. Hosthatch VMs will now be left for the things that do not matter at all, until expiry, and there will unlikely be a renewal.

And literally every other provider who is using the official SolusVM Debian template.....so you should be adding hundreds, if not thousands of providers to your "non renewal list".

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited February 2021

@hosthatch said:
    And literally every other provider who is using the official SolusVM Debian template

Does this make it better in any way?
    No need to finger point as you already stated:

@hosthatch said:
    it is our responsibility to provide a secured working OS template to our customers and not our suppliers

Additionally, I don't understand why this doesn't become critical when there are issues with the templates you're providing:

@hosthatch said:
    custom ISO being broken after using a bad URL etc - we do not consider these to be critical

@webcraft said:

@hosthatch said:
    custom ISO being broken after using a bad URL etc - we do not consider these to be critical

Sorry, you might have misunderstood. Perhaps I did not write it well and you got confused.

Custom ISO does not mean the ISO feature. Custom ISO means uploading your own ISO.

The ISO feature works fine. We provide a library of official ISOs that you can use. It is not broken in any way. But seeing that you've probably made ~20 or so negative comments on this thread - I don't think that confusion matters much to you.

The ISO upload feature also works fine. But if it is broken for a particular VM after using a bad URL, this is a fix that may take longer to resolve - and this is a backend fix that support cannot really fix themselves.

@webcraft said:

Additionally, I don't understand

Hopefully your understanding is expanded with the above knowledge.

@webcraft said: Does this make it better in any way?
    No need to finger point as you already stated:

Sorry if stating a fact hurt your feelings in anyway.

• @hosthatch said:
    Sorry if stating a fact hurt your feelings in anyway.

Perfectly fine for me.

@hosthatch said:
    I am going to respond to these 3 people who are likely not even our customers and keep making posts like this.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited February 2021

@hosthatch said: The ISO upload feature also works fine. But if it is broken for a particular VM after using a bad URL, this is a fix that may take longer to resolve - and this is a backend fix that support cannot really fix themselves.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, currently experiencing this but I did get an answer from support. Thing is the error seem to happen randomly still when a good URL is being used too.

@hosthatch, would appreciate if you can check the NL KVMe node too as it seems quite a few of us experienced random reboots within the past week. I am not using this location in production yet but it's probably something worth investigating. Storage node in NL seems to be fine, no reboots there.

Other than that, hosthatch has been great for me for more than a year and I don't really care about support as long as my services are stable and running.

• @kalimov622 said:

@hosthatch said: The ISO upload feature also works fine. But if it is broken for a particular VM after using a bad URL, this is a fix that may take longer to resolve - and this is a backend fix that support cannot really fix themselves.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, currently experiencing this but I did get an answer from support. Thing is the error seem to happen randomly still when a good URL is being used too.

@hosthatch, would appreciate if you can check the NL KVMe node too as it seems quite a few of us experienced random reboots within the past week. I am not using this location in production yet but it's probably something worth investigating. Storage node in NL seems to be fine, no reboots there.

Other than that, hosthatch has been great for me for more than a year and I don't really care about support as long as my services are stable and running.

@hosthatch date and time of these unscheduled reboots from AMS NVMe node server

last reboot

reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Sun Jan 31 09:09 - 19:46 (1+10:37)
    reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Tue Jan 26 15:36 - 19:46 (6+04:10)
    reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Wed Jan 20 06:12 - 19:46 (12+13:33)
    reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Tue Jan 19 04:15 - 19:46 (13+15:30)
    reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Mon Jan 18 05:49 - 19:46 (14+13:57)
    reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Sun Jan 3 11:03 - 19:46 (29+08:42)
    reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Thu Dec 31 13:02 - 19:46 (32+06:43)
    reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Fri Dec 25 09:12 - 13:01 (6+03:48)
    reboot system boot 4.19.0-13-amd64 Thu Dec 24 09:29 - 13:01 (7+03:32)

Time in IST.

Thanked by 1kalimov622
  • Looks like @hosthatch may be feeling somewhat under fire. I wonder what @hosthatch may be trying to justify about many other hosters who are also using standard SolusVM image. Could/should the matter be handled more gracefully? Perhaps. Of course, it is possible to debate as to whether where the responsibility may lie, though it may not contribute to any real value.

In business, problems may invariably arise. The question is whether the problems are dealt with properly, with grace and professionalism.

I am probably not the largest customer for @hosthatch and probably not the smallest customer. But from what I have seen so far, there is no convincing reason why there should be renewal at the end of the current paid up period.

Based on the behavior and professionalism of support, should I consider dealing with another hoster which charges approx EUR 24 per year (can be terminated at any time, effectively billed per hour), over paying EUR 13 (approx USD 15) upfront on an annual basis to @hosthatch? EUR 9 per VM, multiple by the number of VMs, is perhaps a couple of dinners. This is making me wonder.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@dosai said:

@kalimov622 said:

last reboot

Time in IST.

@kalimov622 @dosai - Have you raised a ticket for the issue? If yes, have you received any response from support?

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited February 2021

@thedp, I didn't because I wasn't even monitoring NL location yet as it's still idling for the moment but I did check it after seeing the posts from this thread. So far I only raised a ticket but for a different issue and it already got answered so there is active support.

• @thedp said:

@dosai said:

@kalimov622 said:

last reboot

Time in IST.

@kalimov622 @dosai - Have you raised a ticket for the issue? If yes, have you received any response from support?

I did not. Since I wasn't getting any response for older tickets :/

• @redgreenblue said: should I consider dealing with another hoster which charges approx EUR 24 per year (can be terminated at any time, effectively billed per hour), over paying EUR 13 (approx USD 15) upfront on an annual basis to @hosthatch?

yes.

@kalimov622 @dosai - Well that's tough then because even if they take ages to reply, a ticket should always be created as it could be an issue on their end, or an infrastructure related issue which they need to be aware about.

Creating tickets is a way to record/track issues from a user's/customer's perspective, and I believe for providers as well, however they could also use it for service improvement purposes.

p/s: We can't be the only ones on the node so someone else should've experienced it as well and created tickets for it :joy:

• @Falzo Thanks for confirming that I am indeed sane! :-)

• @redgreenblue said:
    @Falzo Thanks for confirming that I am indeed sane! :-)

you're welcome ;-)

not every provider (or offer) is a good fit for everyone so considering to move on and pay 70% more to improve IMHO can safely be called sane.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 2021

Just got this via email:

URGENT ACTION REQUIRED
    Your urgent action is required - please read this in full.

We have detected a security vulnerability in our Debian 10 template and our records indicate that you have installed a VM with this template. If you have since then reinstalled your VM to any template other than Debian 10, or used an ISO to reinstall your VM, you can ignore this email.

If you have multiple VMs, you can check the OS used for your VMs at manage.hosthatch.com. We ask you to reinstall your VM to any template available ASAP, the Debian 10 template has been patched and updated and is safe to use again.

If no action is taken we might have to restrict access to your VM from our end until fixed.

Please contact us at [email protected] if you require any assistance to identify or reinstall VMs.
    Due to security purposes we cannot disclose further details about the security vulnerability at this point.

How could this happen?
    We use SolusVM as our backend virtualization platform, it is a leading provider operated by Plesk. We are using their official templates. Unfortunately this particular template had an issue which resulted in this security vulnerability. They are aware of the situation.

How was it fixed?
    We have patched the template with help from SolusVM and they also helped us to confirm that no other templates are affected.

How will this be prevented in the future?
    The current templates have been audited, and for new future templates we will use the official cloud images provided by the different Linux distributions themselves, known as "cloud images". This hasn't been possible in the past due to restrictions in the platform, but we have been working on a new backend for some time, which will support this in time for future Linux distributions and their images.

For customers that require full control of exactly how their VM is installed, we recommend using an ISO to install it manually.

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience and we will continue to monitor this and reach out again if necessary.

Best Regards,
    HostHatch LLC

I guess it confirms what people were saying earlier. I installed all of mine via ISO so I'm safe.

This is a huge issue if every provider that uses SolusVM's Debian 10 template is vulnerable.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal

Someone should spread the word since I haven't seen this being mentioned anywhere else.

• @thedp said:
    Someone should spread the word since I haven't seen this being mentioned anywhere else.

I just posted a separate thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/169685/vulnerability-in-solusvm-debian-10-template-debianuser-backdoor-default-user/p1?new=1

• That's why people should never install via "templates" loaded with whatever bloated software or weird/weak settings.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@xauser said: No such user on my boxes.

But it may have existed once.

If someone rooted your box, they probably removed their footprints.

@dosai said: How do I fix cnrig thing. When I run ps ax | grep cnrig I'm seeing some results like 10078 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep cnrig

How do you know you can trust ps or grep? Someone could have replaced those binaries.

Thanked by 3Daniel15 saibal pbx
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 2021

@raindog308 said: If someone rooted your box, they probably removed their footprints.

Yeah... I'd consider a machine untrusted once it's known that some templates were bad. If you ever installed from the vulnerable template then I'd recommend wiping the system, reinstalling via ISO, and restoring from backup.

@raindog308 said: How do you know you can trust ps or grep? Someone could have replaced those binaries.

Or you could just start off with apt-get install --reinstall procps