Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About the merchant LetBox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About the merchant LetBox

hkthomashkthomas Member

I bought their special offer, but they suspended my server without expiration, told me the CPU exceeded the allowed limit, and asked me to pay $6 for the upgrade package.

I did not want to upgrade, I discussed with them to turn on the VPS, and I needed to backup my website data, but they did not agree. I sent them information through Paypal, and then my account at letbox.com was informed that it had been deleted.

What should I do now? Please help me.

Comments

• So .... what did u do

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

What have you done to your server? There must be a reason why your CPU usage is high

• sanvitsanvit Member

I once installed NextCloud on their BBOX and tried backing up around 10GB of photos from my phone, and that hammered the CPU (it seems like NC makes thumbnails for every image files?). I was notified via email that my server had high CPU load, and when I ticketed them, they politely asked me to either add a CPU core (upgrade) or keep the CPU usage down, which I just added a core. They were pretty reasonable with it. Just try contacting them politely:)

@key900

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @cybertech said:
    So .... what did u do

@FAT32 said:
    What have you done to your server? There must be a reason why your CPU usage is high

My purchase is their storage plan, I need to do a lot of compression and other operations, the CPU usage will be relatively high.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@hkthomas said:

@cybertech said:
    So .... what did u do

@FAT32 said:

My purchase is their storage plan, I need to do a lot of compression and other operations, the CPU usage will be relatively high.

Than you should either buy enough CPU cores to balance the loads between them or get a VPS with dedicated CPU.

Thanked by 2poisson taubin
  • @sanvit said:

@hkthomas said:

@cybertech said:
    So .... what did u do

@FAT32 said:

Than you should either buy enough CPU cores to balance the loads between them or get a VPS with dedicated CPU.

You are quite right, but I didn't know it before, so they told me that I need to pay another 6 dollars. I want to change to another merchant, and they don't allow me to backup the data.

• If you are using it for backup - why do you need to backup your backup? Don't you already have all of that on your "backed up" servers?

• @sanvit said:
    I once installed NextCloud on their BBOX and tried backing up around 10GB of photos from my phone, and that hammered the CPU (it seems like NC makes thumbnails for every image files?). I was notified via email that my server had high CPU load, and when I ticketed them, they politely asked me to either add a CPU core (upgrade) or keep the CPU usage down, which I just added a core. They were pretty reasonable with it. Just try contacting them politely:)

@key900

Why do they treat me so badly? My account has been removed. : (

• uptimeuptime Member

hkthomas said: I sent them information through Paypal, and then my account at letbox.com was informed that it had been deleted.

hello @hkthomas - am I correctly guessing that "sent them information through Paypal" == filed a dispute?

• @t0ny0 said:
    If you are using it for backup - why do you need to backup your backup? Don't you already have all of that on your "backed up" servers?

I can't connect to the server because it has been suspended and the backup data can't be taken out.

• Were you warned about your usage before or did your account get deleted at the first suspension/warning?

• @hkthomas said:

@t0ny0 said:
    If you are using it for backup - why do you need to backup your backup? Don't you already have all of that on your "backed up" servers?

I can't connect to the server because it has been suspended and the backup data can't be taken out.

No, no. You said you are using this server as a backup server. Why dont you just get a new backup server and run your backups to that? It will effectively recreate the same backup, give or take.

• @uptime said:

hkthomas said: I sent them information through Paypal, and then my account at letbox.com was informed that it had been deleted.

hello @hkthomas - am I correctly guessing that "sent them information through Paypal" == filed a dispute?

I didn't start a controversy, I just sent a message. But their attitude was very bad, and they removed my account after I sent the message, so I just launched a dispute with paypal.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @smallbibi said:
    Were you warned about your usage before or did your account get deleted at the first suspension/warning?

They only told me the CPU usage was high, but they didn't tell me to upgrade the package until I found my server was suspended.

• uptimeuptime Member

@hkthomas - I see. Would you be so kind as to share with us the message you sent via Paypal?

• @t0ny0 said:

@hkthomas said:

@t0ny0 said:

No, no. You said you are using this server as a backup server. Why dont you just get a new backup server and run your backups to that? It will effectively recreate the same backup, give or take.

They don't have a backup card, the space I bought is 300GB.

• @uptime said:
    @hkthomas - I see. Would you be so kind as to share with us the message you sent via Paypal?

Since I am in China, Chinese is displayed. This is the message I sent.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Based on your story, they are probably in the right to suspend you, but they should at least allow you to retrieve your backup or fix the cpu usage. Are you sure you did the paypal dispute after they deleted your account?

• sanvitsanvit Member

It looks like a simple language barrier. We need @FAT32 :)

Thanked by 2Falzo Frameworks
  • Kiwi83Kiwi83 Member

they told me that I need to pay another 6 dollars. I want to change to another merchant, and they don't allow me to backup the data. see.

I see. Your data doesn't even worth 6 dollar.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited June 2019

@hkthomas - thanks - it's difficult to get a complete picture of what happened without full details, but it sounds like what we could call a "learning experience" in at least a few areas:

1) making backups before you need them
    2) communicating patiently without getting too stuck on perceived attitudes
    3) not involving Paypal in a dispute unless absolutely and unambiguously necessary

I'm a LetBox customer myself for just a little while - I don't know them that well but I get the impression that @key900 is a reasonable person to deal with. One can only hope that he may come to see you as a reasonable person as well - but some significant part of that equation is in your hands now.

Good luck with your amicable resolution.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@sanvit said:
    It looks like a simple language barrier. We need @FAT32 :)

A screenshot for the whole ticket will be helpful, the Paypal reply looks ok imo

Thanked by 2sanvit uptime
  • @smallbibi said:
    Based on your story, they are probably in the right to suspend you, but they should at least allow you to retrieve your backup or fix the cpu usage. Are you sure you did the paypal dispute after they deleted your account?

Yes, I sent them a message via paypal and deleted my account, so I started a controversy.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited June 2019

I suspect there is a lot more to this story.

Do you mean to say your vCPU is doing compressing, decompressing operations for more than 1hour of cputime per day? That's pretty unusual.

That said, I'll go look in on my letbox KVM

Thanked by 1uptime
  • hkthomas said: Yes, I sent them a message via paypal and deleted my account, so I started a controversy.

You started the paypal dispute before they deleted your account? Or you started the paypal dispute after they deleted your account?

• sanvitsanvit Member

@smallbibi said:

hkthomas said: Yes, I sent them a message via paypal and deleted my account, so I started a controversy.

You started the paypal dispute before they deleted your account? Or you started the paypal dispute after they deleted your account?

It looks like the former to me

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2019

I think:

1. He opens a dispute
    2. They remove his account
    3. He escalate the dispute
  • @smallbibi said:

hkthomas said: Yes, I sent them a message via paypal and deleted my account, so I started a controversy.

Delete before me in the communication with them, because their attitude is not friendly, so I don't want to pay $6 updates, but they are not allowed to give me 3 hours to take out data, so I tried to communicate with them through the palpay send messages, then deleted my account, then I will submit the paypal problem to upgrade to the dispute

• @uptime said:
    @hkthomas - thanks - it's difficult to get a complete picture of what happened without full details, but it sounds like what we could call a "learning experience" in at least a few areas:

3) not involving Paypal in a dispute unless absolutely and unambiguously necessary

I'm a LetBox customer myself for just a little while - I don't know them that well but I get the impression that @key900 is a reasonable person to deal with. One can only hope that he may come to see you as a reasonable person as well - but some significant part of that equation is in your hands now.

Thank you very much.

I also want to solve this problem amicably. I just want to take out my data at present, so I hope they can give me 3 hours, but they are not willing to give me this opportunity.

• @uptime said:

You are quite right. I just canceled the escalation dispute on paypal, but I may still be unable to access my data. I think I need to back up important data often in the future.

Thanked by 1uptime