Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


NetCup Adventskalender 2018 Released - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

NetCup Adventskalender 2018 Released

12346

Comments

  • angstromangstrom Member, Moderator

    @toumi111 said:
    you can also order VPS 2000 G8 Plus 14,49€

    8 vCores, KVM-Technologie
    16 GB RAM
    1,5 TB SSD-Performance (Cached with Optane™)
    80 TB Traffic mit 1 GBit/s

    Minimum term: 1 month

    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283

    The fact that that page is there doesn't mean that you can order it.

    Thanked by 1Falzo
  • rick2610rick2610 Member
    edited December 2018

    @toumi111 said:
    you can also order VPS 2000 G8 Plus 14,49€

    8 vCores, KVM-Technologie
    16 GB RAM
    1,5 TB SSD-Performance (Cached with Optane™)
    80 TB Traffic mit 1 GBit/s

    Minimum term: 1 month

    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283

    Where do you see this offer on the website?

  • angstromangstrom Member, Moderator

    Well, I decided to pass on this special. It's a good deal, I could have gotten it, but I'm trying to remain sober for the moment. I still have to set up three VPSes that I got on BF/CM, so I decided that it would be wiser to keep things simple/simpler (at least for the moment :smiley:).

    Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware
  • @angstrom said:
    Well, I decided to pass on this special. It's a good deal, I could have gotten it, but I'm trying to remain sober for the moment. I still have to set up three VPSes that I got on BF/CM, so I decided that it would be wiser to keep things simple/simpler (at least for the moment :smiley:).

    Oh, don't say that @angstrom, just buy it

  • angstromangstrom Member, Moderator

    @LeonDynamic said:

    @angstrom said:
    Well, I decided to pass on this special. It's a good deal, I could have gotten it, but I'm trying to remain sober for the moment. I still have to set up three VPSes that I got on BF/CM, so I decided that it would be wiser to keep things simple/simpler (at least for the moment :smiley:).

    Oh, don't say that @angstrom, just buy it

    It's too late -- it's sold out!

    It's okay, I'm at peace with my decision (I think :smiley:).

  • gksgks Member
    edited December 2018

    I like to understand the communication between 2 or 3 VPSes between netcup, I don't see any provide for internal IP communication? I see Hetzner and iwstack had some options to do internal networking, I saw netcup has 100 Mbps free internal, could not find any page for the Internal LAN pricing for higher bandwidth. I am trying to setup my VPSes, I need them to work like load balancer, replicas and master-master communication sort of scenarios.

    Other curious question I have is, does it really cost money for them to enable internal networking when Hetzner make it free?

  • Is this a thing in Germany? I see manny hosting companies and even food retailers doing advent calendars.

  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

    gks said: I saw netcup has 100 Mbps free internal, could not find any page for the Internal LAN pricing for higher bandwidth

    AFAIK it's still in beta, they had a "Giga Aktion" offer but it doesn't seem available currently

    Thanked by 1gks
  • gksgks Member
    edited December 2018

    Thank you @mfs for the links, read the translation price, I had assumption that internal transfer are free, was not aware of pricing model. I see a added burden.

    Here is some tooltip on their root server page regarding traffic between root/server or VPS. As long as I secure my ports (firewall rules), technically I can go about 80 GB transfer [not sure this is for outside or inside]. I am fine with this part. , Below statements from their website.

    """
    There is no additional cost for traffic to and from your root server / vServer (VPS). On average, you have a bandwidth of at least 200 Mbps, provided the root server has a 1 Gbps network card. If more than 80 TB of traffic is consumed within one month and an average of more than 80 MBit / s bandwidth is used consistently over a period of more than 60 minutes, the network connection of the root server can be limited to a minimum of 10 MBit / s, to other customers no disadvantage arises. Optionally, we also offer dedicated network cards with guaranteed bandwidth. Our support will be pleased to advise you.
    """

  • angstromangstrom Member, Moderator

    @Daverno said:
    Is this a thing in Germany? I see manny hosting companies and even food retailers doing advent calendars.

    Lutherans and Catholics like to practice the Advent Calendar tradition, and they already make up most of Germany. Not to mention that Germany is a fairly religious country, more so than one might think/expect from the outside.

    Thanked by 1Daverno
  • The deal today was great, but I missed it. I hope that something comparable might show up the other days.

  • gks said: I don't see any provide for internal IP communication

    told you so ;-)

    seems like the links to their vlan stuff did not make it yet on the english pages. on the german ones you'll find it here: https://www.netcup.de/vserver/root-server-erweiterungen.php

    apart from that you obviously can use the public IP to have your cluster communicate, just need to restrict it via firewall, as you already pointed out yourself.
    80TB is plenty to go I'd say... but also can't tell how traffic is counted. as they don't mention anything regarding 'internal' or 'external' traffic I'd guess everything is counted anyway.

  • Thanks @Falzo, 80 TB is a lot for me, once I bring up my ML and Spark cluster, I will be happy with this setup.

    I yet to learn the snapshot option for OS backup, I think, it is wise to create 2 partitions, one for OS and other one for Data, I am assuming OS can be taken as snapshot.

  • @gks said:
    Thanks @Falzo, 80 TB is a lot for me, once I bring up my ML and Spark cluster, I will be happy with this setup.

    I yet to learn the snapshot option for OS backup, I think, it is wise to create 2 partitions, one for OS and other one for Data, I am assuming OS can be taken as snapshot.

    sorry to be the bummer again, but I don't think it works that way. there is nothing to select only one partition or whatever.
    has been discussed earlier in another thread if I recall correctly. essentially it takes a snapshot of everything that's there and counts the space needed towards your overall diskspace - doesn't matter the partitioning.

    most likely you simply get a sparse image and as long as that's small enough you can do snapshots of it, no matter what's really inside. there is even an option to 'defrag' your VM and gain back space. I'd assume this to be just a resparse for the image, as that might obviously grow over time...

    more interesting would be the question, what happens in a scenario where you have f.i. 20GB of disk overall, you set it up to be more or less full available for your VM.
    At the point your data have grown to nearly 10GB you do a snapshot (as that's still possible).
    the VM and the filesystem inside don't know of that snapshot and that your space is nearly full - so what happens if you (try to) put more data into the VM after doing the snapshot. the filesystem will still show and think that you have 20GB...

    I think I am going to try that with that small vps200 from BF, should be an interesting experiment.

    Thanked by 1gks
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

    gks said: I had assumption that internal transfer are free, was not aware of pricing model. I see a added burden.

    I like to believe that 100Mbps internal VLAN will be kept free

    gks said: Hetzner and iwstack had some options to do internal networking

    to be honest, Hetzner's vSwitches aren't yet available on their cloud infrastructure (unless I missed a memo)

    Falzo said: seems like the links to their vlan stuff did not make it yet on the english pages. on the german ones you'll find it here: https://www.netcup.de/vserver/root-server-erweiterungen.php

    There it is! I did look at it few days ago, today it seemed that the offer was gone.
    ~13€/mo for 1Gbps* seems a hefty sum

    * "depending on the booked root server, VPS or storage server. Generation 8 root servers achieve the maximum possible throughput. For other root server and storage server products, up to 500 Mbps throughput is possible. VPS achieve a maximum of 200 Mbps throughput. Multiple cloud vLANs running on the same root server, storage server, or VPS share the maximum available bandwidth among each root server, storage server, or VPS."

  • @angstrom said:
    Well, I decided to pass on this special. It's a good deal, I could have gotten it, but I'm trying to remain sober for the moment. I still have to set up three VPSes that I got on BF/CM, so I decided that it would be wiser to keep things simple/simpler (at least for the moment :smiley:).

    Congratulations! I couldn't resist the shine 750GB :) Specially after @Falzo 's benchmarks showing similar performance and the additional benefit of monthly contract vs the 3-month contract on BF2017.

    Thanked by 2Falzo angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Member, Moderator

    Today's offer is also pretty good, but it won't incite the same interest as yesterday's offer.

    Thanked by 2gks beagle
  • @Falzo said:

    @gks said:
    Thanks @Falzo, 80 TB is a lot for me, once I bring up my ML and Spark cluster, I will be happy with this setup.

    I yet to learn the snapshot option for OS backup, I think, it is wise to create 2 partitions, one for OS and other one for Data, I am assuming OS can be taken as snapshot.

    sorry to be the bummer again, but I don't think it works that way. there is nothing to select only one partition or whatever.
    has been discussed earlier in another thread if I recall correctly. essentially it takes a snapshot of everything that's there and counts the space needed towards your overall diskspace - doesn't matter the partitioning.

    most likely you simply get a sparse image and as long as that's small enough you can do snapshots of it, no matter what's really inside. there is even an option to 'defrag' your VM and gain back space. I'd assume this to be just a resparse for the image, as that might obviously grow over time...

    more interesting would be the question, what happens in a scenario where you have f.i. 20GB of disk overall, you set it up to be more or less full available for your VM.
    At the point your data have grown to nearly 10GB you do a snapshot (as that's still possible).
    the VM and the filesystem inside don't know of that snapshot and that your space is nearly full - so what happens if you (try to) put more data into the VM after doing the snapshot. the filesystem will still show and think that you have 20GB...

    I think I am going to try that with that small vps200 from BF, should be an interesting experiment.

    Thanks again, the devops and system administration is quite new for me, I was into development, learning linux, devops and administration makes it more interesting, I do learn a lot here.

    Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @angstrom said:
    Today's offer is also pretty good, but it won't incite the same interest as yesterday's offer.

    I wish, I were you when I got few virmach Open VZ stuffs during BF, I feel now that some of them should have invested into netcup. I wish netcup gives you 8x8x8 and 750 GB on Christmas eve.

    Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @gks said: I wish netcup gives you 8x8x8 and 750 GB on Christmas eve.

    ya

    Thanked by 1eol
  • angstromangstrom Member, Moderator

    @gks said:

    @angstrom said:
    Today's offer is also pretty good, but it won't incite the same interest as yesterday's offer.

    I wish, I were you when I got few virmach Open VZ stuffs during BF, I feel now that some of them should have invested into netcup. I wish netcup gives you 8x8x8 and 750 GB on Christmas eve.

    Ah, I don't think that will happen. :smile:

    In any case, I'm just trying to exercise some self-restraint -- I certainly feel tempted by these VPS deals from netcup! :smile:

  • care to share the santa!

    Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @ehab said:
    care to share the santa!

    I made Santa disappear already ;-)

    The included "Johann" is a nice touch though - probably not so known but besides opening bottles it can also be used as an unlocker for shopping carts which usually need a coin...

    Thanked by 13606202
  • oh that is a cleaver idea if you carry the opener all the time.

  • gksgks Member
    edited December 2018

    I got one Web Hosting 1000 plan from them, anyone can clarify if we can do rsync the content with web hosting, Since Web Hosting 1000 plan support SSH, wondering rsync is possible or not.

  • @gks said:
    I got one Web Hosting 1000 plan from them, anyone can clarify if we can do rsync the content with web hosting, Since Web Hosting 1000 plan support SSH, wondering rsync is possible or not.

    The same question here with nextcloud.

    Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @siguiente said:

    @gks said:
    I got one Web Hosting 1000 plan from them, anyone can clarify if we can do rsync the content with web hosting, Since Web Hosting 1000 plan support SSH, wondering rsync is possible or not.

    The same question here with nextcloud.

    As far as I know rsync is not available in their chroot for webhosting. in a topic on the german forum it was said that they don't offer it because of the payload it might cause...

  • RadiRadi Member, Host Rep

    @Falzo You lucky guy :smile: No invoice, no cup here.

  • @Radi said:
    @Falzo You lucky guy :smile: No invoice, no cup here.

    Where are you located? I am pretty sure you'll receive your package soon too. Obviously they just started sending them out. Inside germany next day delivery is normal but international shipment will take a bit longer ;-)

Sign In or Register to comment.