Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NetCup Adventskalender 2018 Released - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NetCup Adventskalender 2018 Released

Comments

• Is the hard drive offer 'Cached with Optane' better compare with SSD or SAS?

• Thanks for hint, @Falzo

Anyway, iirc last year's BF VPS had 8 cores and achieved roughly 3k in Single-Core and 16k in Multi-Core.
    Given that, this VPS1000 Plus only has half of the cores I assume it would achieve about 8k in Multi-Core.

My current RS1000 G8 achieves in average 3,5k in Single-Core and about 6k in Multi-Core.
    Considering it only has half the cores it's quite good.

I am still hoping to see a RS1000 Plus instead of a VPS, it would be a no-brainer for me then.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @hellfire1980 said:
    Is the hard drive offer 'Cached with Optane' better compare with SSD or SAS?

probably no one can really tell, esp long term. on freshly setup VMs throughput and iops might always be better, because it takes some time, before everything is put to good use.

I guess it heavily depends on what your neighbours are doing and how full the nodes get packed or how that might change over time.

lately the iops on my BF 2017 VPS (same as @beagle mentioned) had decreased to be ... mediocre. like ~300 iops randomrw, even with 4k blocksize. that's why I cancelled it already and put my stuff on the even cheaper VPS 500 from this years BF ;-) don't need the cores anyway.

however. I already was tempted by the 750G thing early november, so now I needed to collect it after all :-D

geekbench as requested by @neik - https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11217245
    geekbench on 8-core BF2017 for comparison - https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11217354

I'd say the loss of those 4 cores so far is neglible, at least to me ;-)

back to the new one, fio - 4k bs, 50/50 randomrw:

Run status group 0 (all jobs):
       READ: io=8190.6MB, aggrb=26650KB/s, minb=6657KB/s, maxb=6670KB/s, mint=314602msec, maxt=314709msec
      WRITE: io=8193.5MB, aggrb=26659KB/s, minb=6661KB/s, maxb=6670KB/s, mint=314602msec, maxt=314709msec

Disk stats (read/write):
      sda: ios=2093010/2093908, merge=1/185, ticks=22953716/17119416, in_queue=40084280, util=100.00%

which translates to about 6.6k/6.65k iops (if you divide ios by maxt)

same fio but with 64k bs:

Run status group 0 (all jobs):
       READ: io=8188.0MB, aggrb=435061KB/s, minb=108071KB/s, maxb=109820KB/s, mint=19200msec, maxt=19272msec
      WRITE: io=8196.0MB, aggrb=435486KB/s, minb=108633KB/s, maxb=109565KB/s, mint=19200msec, maxt=19272msec

Disk stats (read/write):
      sda: ios=130194/130157, merge=0/4, ticks=49280/2348824, in_queue=2400324, util=99.68%

so 6.7k/6.7k iops either...

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2018

neik said: Given that, this VPS1000 Plus only has half of the cores I assume it would achieve about 8k in Multi-Core.

sorry just posted while you commented, it's quite a bit more, also single-core seems to be better at least for the geekbench I just ran on the old box.

direct comparison: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/11217245?baseline=11217354

• 11k is not bad at all for a cheap 4 core vps. What happens in practice if you do a long running computation (several hours up to several days or longer, but not 24/7 for months at a time)? This is something I have to do now and then, but not often enough to justify my idle dedis. Thanks.

• willie said: What happens in practice if you do a long running computation (several hours up to several days or longer, but not 24/7 for months at a time)?

I think the average might go down a bit, as ofc it's shared... but from what I experienced so far, that is not neccessarily noticable. before they banned mining I played around with xmrig for quite some time to see how enduring the performance might be and have to say I didn't really see any bigger drop.

if you have some real world use case in mind that we could use to check on the performance over hours or days, let me know and I'll get it running.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2018

Meh.. called netcup whether I can transfer my website files & db to them before actually updating the DNS/Nameservers (and test everything by editing my local computers hosts file and point my domain to their ip) in order to avoid downtime. But seems like you can't do that with netcup :/ Their system does not allow you to order if ns/dns records of your domain are not pointing to their servers. This is a bit of a bummer as most whmcs hosts I've used before allow "I will update my ns accordingly" option during order process and thus still will create an account and process the order. Netcup is great by all means, but sometimes also a bit old-fashioned.

• @Ympker said: but sometimes also a bit old-fashioned.

Ja, Süddeutschland. :wink:

Thanked by 3eol Ympker Falzo
  • Can I mount my custom iso with these? I feel I'd like to order one but it's out of stock...

• @plumberg said:
    Can I mount my custom iso with these?

Yes.

I feel I'd like to order one but it's out of stock...

Hey, I think that I'm before you in the line. :smile:

• @angstrom said:

@plumberg said:

Yes.

:smile:

Being in us, just want to confirm what time we may see restocks..

• Falzo said: if you have some real world use case in mind that we could use to check on the performance over hours or days, let me know and I'll get it running.

Hm ok I might try to put something together, thanks! I have a couple of tasks, one is a monthly data archive (mostly xzip compression) that takes around 5 or 6 hours on a 4 core dedi. The other is a bigger text munching job that I figure would be 1-2 weeks if spread across the 3 dedis I currently have (but I want to cancel one of them this month). The xzip job could be of some interest as a benchmark but I have enough dedi hardware to do it without any practical issue. The other task is of a bit more interest.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @plumberg said:

@angstrom said:

@plumberg said:

Yes.

They say at 15:00 and 17:00.

• @angstrom said:

@plumberg said:

@angstrom said:

@plumberg said:

Yes.

They say at 15:00 and 17:00.

Kool. Will it make a difference if I order from netcup.de or netcup.eu?

• Yes.
    Different IP.

• LeonDynamicLeonDynamic Member
    edited December 2018

@plumberg said:

No. Only difference is can you read German.

• @eol said:
    Yes.
    Different IP.

Guess that's that.

@LeonDynamic said:

@plumberg said:

No. Only difference is can you read German.

Perfect. Thnx

• @Radi just to keep you updated, because I ordered the VPS today I also got an invoice issued. on this invoice there's also the 6 bucks for the cup. still haven't received it yet nor heard another word about it.
    also checked their forum but no further info yet. probably going to take some more days, we'll see...

• @angstrom said:

@Ympker said: but sometimes also a bit old-fashioned.

Ja, Süddeutschland. :wink:

Achtung: Das Machine ist nicht fur Gefingerpoken und Mittengraben. Ist easy snappen der Springenwerk Blowenfusen, und Corkenpoppin mit Spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur Gewerken by das Dumkopfen. Das Rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das Hands in das Pockets. Relaxen und watchen das Blinkenlights.

Thanked by 2eol Ympker
  • @Falzo said:

neik said: Given that, this VPS1000 Plus only has half of the cores I assume it would achieve about 8k in Multi-Core.

sorry just posted while you commented, it's quite a bit more, also single-core seems to be better at least for the geekbench I just ran on the old box.

direct comparison: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/11217245?baseline=11217354

Well, that looks quite decent.

If I'd order one of these, will I have the right to cancel it within 14-days and get a refund?
    As I said, I already am a customer (in case it matters fot the question)

Thanks!

• back in stock. trying to grab one now.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2018

neik said: If I'd order one of these, will I have the right to cancel it within 14-days and get a refund?
    As I said, I already am a customer (in case it matters fot the question)

I think their satisfaction guarantee (of 30 days) is only applicable to their rootservers / RS lineup and not for the vservers. so I would not count on a guaranteed refund...

still it's to be prepaid for 3 month but contract term should be only one month. though their 31 day advance cancellation policy applies and makes the first possible cancellation the 11.02.2019 now (just checked in control panel). so two months to be paid for at least.

• This is my first order with netcup... they are asking for proof of address.

what could be accepted as the proof?

• -------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2018.04.14 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2018-12-12 14:49:55 UTC
    -------------------------------------------------

Processor:    QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores:    4
    Frequency:    2397.220 MHz
    RAM:          7.8G
    Swap:         3.8G
    Kernel:       Linux 3.16.0-7-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda    750G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        2.957 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        5.174 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        1.561 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 40.5 us / 68.6 us / 2.78 ms / 47.7 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 14.6 k requests in 5.00 s, 3.56 GiB, 2.92 k iops, 729.5 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    442.50 MiB/s
        2nd run:    442.50 MiB/s
        3rd run:    445.37 MiB/s
        average:    443.46 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    37.120.164.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         45.05 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        66.48 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   11.99 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      18.32 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         4.45 MiB/s

• @plumberg said:
    This is my first order with netcup... they are asking for proof of address.

if printed on your ID or drivers license, then that's probably easiest way to do it, otherwise how about a bill of your electricity provider or something like that?

• @Falzo said:

@plumberg said:

if printed on your ID or drivers license, then that's probably easiest way to do it, otherwise how about a bill of your electricity provider or something like that?

Yeh, I actually sent a copy of the utility bill. Not heard back since 1 hour.

• @plumberg said:

@Falzo said:

@plumberg said:

I ordered in the morning and it took about an hour for getting the server provisioned as existing client. If they really pumped out 200 servers at 3pm who knows how many verification things they requested and now have to go through - most likely that's all done manually anyway.

if you don't hear back from them in the next 2 hours (from now) I'd say you might even have to wait for tomorrow because after 18pm CET there might not be any sales/accounting person left working...

• @Falzo said:

@plumberg said:

@Falzo said:

@plumberg said:

I ordered in the morning and it took about an hour for getting the server provisioned as existing client. If they really pumped out 200 servers at 3pm who knows how many verification things they requested and now have to go through - most likely that's all done manually anyway.

if you don't hear back from them in the next 2 hours (from now) I'd say you might even have to wait for tomorrow because after 18pm CET there might not be any sales/accounting person left working...

True. Not in a rush to add a new server in my pool of idlers!
    Thnx.

• I just ordered two VPS 1000 G8 Plus, lets see how fast they deliver!

• you can also order VPS 2000 G8 Plus 14,49€

8 vCores, KVM-Technologie
    16 GB RAM
    1,5 TB SSD-Performance (Cached with Optane™)
    80 TB Traffic mit 1 GBit/s

Minimum term: 1 month

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283