Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS Pricing Changes - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS Pricing Changes

Comments

• The pricing is fair, I guess.

But what does frustrate here is that, as a WHMCS Reseller, it makes it more difficult to offer 'Free WHMCS' now. You don't know if you're about to be stung for $12 or $30 cost.

• Looks like they are also releasing 7.0 to production today: http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=119046

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

Tiered pricing seems fair for the hosted version, but makes no sense for a self hosted one :(

• time to develop own billing system.

Thanked by 2GCat x3host
  • NickNick Member, Patron Provider

Ouch...

• I laughed when I saw this and "yeah, I saw this one coming"

• admsam said: time to develop own billing system.

Still at this price, not yet...

It gives a feeling of Self hosted SaaS though.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Well, at least when they get hacked again, we will see who lies about his active clients count :P

Thanked by 1x3host
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GCat said: I laughed when I saw this and "yeah, I saw this one coming"

What else do you see coming?

MikeIn said: It gives a feeling of Self hosted SaaS though.

With WHMCS, you pay the SaaS price but have to provide your own infrastructure.

Thanked by 1x3host
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

I doubt it's actually "phoning home". I mean it's not hard to write a function inside the script to count how many clients you've got. Then disable your admin access until you have upgraded to the next tier.

rds100 said: The new pricing is not that bad or unreasonable. What is worrying is that the WHMCS software will be phoning "home" and submitting information about the current customers (hopefully, just the count). But who knows what information would be submitted, with what granularity and how often? I see a potential privacy problem (or rather a disclosure of trade secrets problem) here.

lonea said: I doubt it's actually "phoning home".

Why would you doubt that? It dials home for license verification already.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Development has really ramped up over the last couple years. Hoping this means they'll spend even more on improving the product. Price isn't bad because it's not like I need more than one copy.

• @raindog308 said:

lonea said: I doubt it's actually "phoning home".

Why would you doubt that? It dials home for license verification already.

I'm pretty sure that license verificación is on whmcs side and not phoning home.

• damn, after upload the newest file for upgrade, the page can not displayed.

• jhjh Member

Can't believe you lot and whinging. They are a business and even the new pricing is so cheap for what it is (the most crucial piece of software your business has). Compare to something like Accelo that does similar automation for other sectors (finish your coffee first).

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • anyone one you have this issue?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@admsam said:
    anyone one you have this issue?

Start a thread about it. This one is about the price changes.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

admsam said: anyone one you have this issue?

Debian?

• @rsk said:

admsam said: anyone one you have this issue?

Debian?

centos。checking php setting

• LeeLee Veteran

I wonder how this will affect the reseller pricing, you know, the ones offering whmcs as part of the $10 package price.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:
    I wonder how this will affect the reseller pricing, you know, the ones offering whmcs as part of the $10 package price.

This are not affected for now.

• rds100 said: The new pricing is not that bad or unreasonable. What is worrying is that the WHMCS software will be phoning "home" and submitting information about the current customers (hopefully, just the count). But who knows what information would be submitted, with what granularity and how often? I see a potential privacy problem (or rather a disclosure of trade secrets problem) here.

I'd imagine they wouldn't be stupid enough to do that, though not impossible.

If I were a provider, I'd be more concerned about how they arrive at the count. You'd want to prune people that sign up and aren't paying and perhaps people who have cancelled. Though, it shouldn't make such a fundamental difference to a company if they're paying $16 or $40 a month.

Still, at least angry customers can create 200 accounts in response to any denial of services ;)

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

$40 usd is not much for 1k+ clients.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Once you reach 250 active client then WHMCS will not allow to place new order?

Hope, They will not change anything for existing customers. I want to ask question to WHMCS, Why anyone will purchase WHMCS when they can purchase HostBill at $999 lifetime license without customer restriction?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:
    I think the main reason there isn't a FOSS WHMCS alternative is that coding billing software SUCKS. It's such an interesting problem space...because there are no problems, it's just boring forms.

Still, replacing WHMCS is tempting.

Precisely that. It's just not a very interesting project to work on, and on top of that it only really benefits commercial users. Those two things together make it thoroughly uninteresting for experienced developers to build a FOSS alternative without funding.

• ricardo said: Still, at least angry customers can create 200 accounts in response to any denial of services ;)

^ This. Now fraud detection programs have to catch an abuser even before an account is created.

Another question is should a "client" exist for a whole month for the pricing tier to change? What happens if a lot of people signup and then ask for a refund? This will also affect the money back period offered by hosts.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Looks like owned licensing is gone and they're going to introduce a hosted plan starting at $30/m.

Thanked by 2DewlanceVPS x3host
  • LeeLee Veteran

Clouvider said: This are not affected for now.

So I could actually be a 1,000+ client user on an eleven2 $15 package reseller... Seems a bit unfair.

Thanked by 2nathanlopez x3host
  • Lee said: So I could actually be a 1,000+ client user on an eleven2 $15 package reseller... Seems a bit unfair.

Yes - http://www.whmcs.com/price-change-faq/

I have a license from a reseller, am I affected?

There are no changes being made to reseller licenses at this time.

And there are resellers who are cheaper than $15/mo.

Thanked by 2Lee x3host