Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM/BuyShared downtime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM/BuyShared downtime

joojajooja Member
edited May 2016 in Providers

Almost 5 hours offline, website doesn't load, vps server offline.
BuyVM off BuyShared off
someone know whats happening?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2016

5 hours? Not quite, but an hour is accurate.

Voxility is having an appliance issue in LAX that's dropping GRE traffic of all things.

It'll likely to be cleared up in the next few :(

EDIT - Speak of the devil!

Francisco

Thanked by 1GCat
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Its back up boys.

Thanked by 1GCat
    edited May 2016

@SplitIce said:
    Its back up boys.

The official RFO from Voxility (so far) is:

Hello,

Working on this.
    Is not blocked by us, but it seems that one equipment is not working properly.

Regards,

Alin PÎRVU / Network Engineer / VOXILITY NOC
    [US] +1 703-888-5811 [UK] +44 20-3355-1458 [DE] +49 69-957-98952 [RO] +40 > 21-207-4774

Francisco

Thanked by 1GCat
  • dailydaily Member

@Francisco said:

I kind of expected more out of Voxility as far as English skills go on a RFO..

dailymc said: Quote

I honestly don't think they have many english first language workers there. Everyone i've worked with has been Romanian, Russian, or Ukraine. Even my sales rep, while US based, is Romanian as far as I can tell.

I usually don't get anything long break downs for RFO's. I usually have to flesh them out pretty good for people.

Francisco

@dailymc Its an international company based out of Romania, for many of its employees English is likely not a first language.

The important thing is getting the point across and solving the issue. I dont have any problem understanding that message.

• joojajooja Member

Well everything just went offline again for me

• dailydaily Member

@SplitIce said:
    @dailymc Its an international company based out of Romania, for many of its employees English is likely not a first language.

The important thing is getting the point across and solving the issue. I dont have any problem understanding that message.

I don't have an issue with the fact, what I'm saying is that for a company like Voxility, I'm surprised they don't have a dedicated English speaker who can do PR type things.

• I can load it fine.

@jooja said:
    Well everything just went offline again for me

Indeed

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Do they provide any control panel for end user e.g if someone sells me a DDoS protected IP allowing me to login to their control panel and monitor my IP stats?

• Well, right now it's down for me too.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS

@MrGeneral said:
    Do they provide any control panel for end user e.g if someone sells me a DDoS protected IP allowing me to login to their control panel and monitor my IP stats?

Nope. Most of Voxility is based around ACL's so there's no easy API to go pull that information out of. They have some appliances but again, there's no public API to pull from.

They gave me a better break down of what happened:

Hi,

>

Our system added a wrong acl sequence after a rescan. We removed it manually and
    informed the developer.

Pretty much what I figured since I could still make SSH/etc connections into their network just fine. It'd also explain the sudden few burps at the end there if the system was reapplying the ACL's.

Francisco

@MrGeneral those graphs I am providing are not Voxilities. They are of the services we provide.

Voxility do provide some basic information, but its not per IP. The best you can do is what we do and observe some values in the API. That might change with their API work however.

Thanked by 1GCat

@SplitIce said:
    @MrGeneral those graphs I am providing are not Voxilities. They are of the services we provide.

Voxility do provide some basic information, but its not per IP. The best you can do is what we do and observe some values in the API. That might change with their API work however.

Supposedly the API rework will give the same controls people have inside the dashboard, but since the dashboard has never worked for me i'm assuming it might allow some basic ACL controls.

Francisco

@Francisco said:

@MrGeneral said:

Nope. Most of Voxility is based around ACL's so there's no easy API to go pull that information out of. They have some appliances but again, there's no public API to pull from.

They gave me a better break down of what happened:

Hi,

>

Our system added a wrong acl sequence after a rescan. We removed it manually and
    informed the developer.

Pretty much what I figured since I could still make SSH/etc connections into their network just fine. It'd also explain the sudden few burps at the end there if the system was reapplying the ACL's.

Francisco
    @SplitIce said:

@Francisco said:

@SplitIce said:

Supposedly the API rework will give the same controls people have inside the dashboard, but since the dashboard has never worked for me i'm assuming it might allow some basic ACL controls.

Francisco

Thank you very much folks. TBH this is something that would change the industry with GRE tunnels. Allowing a user to login to the control panel and monitor the whole statistics, perhaps even applying custom rules and such, all this per IP and/or subnet but to the end user itself. Dunno, just something I would love to have.

edited May 2016

short lived :(

5. las-b21-link.telia.net            0.0%     3    9.2   9.2   9.2   9.3   0.1
     6. voxility-ic-304820-las-bb1.c.tel  0.0%     3   12.6  12.5  12.5  12.6   0.1
     7. lax-eqx-01c.voxility.net          0.0%     3   12.0  12.0  12.0  12.1   0.1
     8. lax-eqx-03sw.voxility.net         0.0%     3   12.1  12.2  12.1  12.2   0.1
     9. lh27444.voxility.net              0.0%     3   11.9  11.9  11.9  11.9   0.0
    10. ???

And for the record as a correction to OP, its 2hrs, 45min now since it started. Was stable before that. If you have had 5 hours of issues, its unrelated.

Thanked by 2GCat DewlanceVPS

@SplitIce said:

Looks like they're dropping a route since i'm seeing big drops in traffic every few. I already pinged them.

@MrGeneral said:
    Thank you very much folks. TBH this is something that would change the industry with GRE tunnels. Allowing a user to login to the control panel and monitor the whole statistics, perhaps even applying custom rules and such, all this per IP and/or subnet but to the end user itself. Dunno, just something I would love to have.

I wouldn't be banking a business venture just on pretty graphs. I think I've had maybe a dozen or so requests for graphs in the last 1 1/2 years of Voxility and we had maybe another dozen or so when we had CNS/Staminus.

It's neat and all but generally if it's eating packets good, it'll not be a huge issue.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • joojajooja Member
    edited May 2016

@SplitIce said:

5. las-b21-link.telia.net            0.0%     3    9.2   9.2   9.2   9.3   0.1
     6. voxility-ic-304820-las-bb1.c.tel  0.0%     3   12.6  12.5  12.5  12.6   0.1
     7. lax-eqx-01c.voxility.net          0.0%     3   12.0  12.0  12.0  12.1   0.1
     8. lax-eqx-03sw.voxility.net         0.0%     3   12.1  12.2  12.1  12.2   0.1
     9. lh27444.voxility.net              0.0%     3   11.9  11.9  11.9  11.9   0.0
    10. ???

And for the record as a correction to OP, its 2hrs, 45min now since it started. Was stable before that. If you have had 5 hours of issues, its unrelated.

It started just as packet loss
    Now it's 100% offline
    sometimes it back online but goes off again faster

There is a estimated time to be online?
    @Francisco

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
    edited May 2016

@jooja Its the same pattern as before

Every 3 minutes, its 1 - 1:30 offline. To make it clear 1.0 is world wide online (14 locations register successful check), 0.0 is world wide offline (14 locations offline)

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS

@Francisco said:

@SplitIce said:

Looks like they're dropping a route since i'm seeing big drops in traffic every few. I already pinged them.

@MrGeneral said:

I wouldn't be banking a business venture just on pretty graphs. I think I've had maybe a dozen or so requests for graphs in the last 1 1/2 years of Voxility and we had maybe another dozen or so when we had CNS/Staminus.

It's neat and all but generally if it's eating packets good, it'll not be a huge issue.

Francisco

Agreed, would allow for a better control though, plus, I love fancy panels :p

edited May 2016

I am going to go get lunch since this isnt clearing up any time soon it seems. It just broke 3hrs :(

@MrGeneral Offtopic; On a side note I am working on a design currently. Hopefully it qualifies as a "fancy panel".

Personally Graphs are nice, but functionality and effectiveness is far better.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • joojajooja Member

Someone have an estimated time to be online???
    :(

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
    edited May 2016

@jooja Between 1 and 4,320 minutes

But seriously, if Voxility (the one at fault) doesn't know how would anyone know?

@jooja said:

Everything has been online, just there's some lag every few minutes. Last thing I heard from them around 20 minutes ago was 'We are re-auditing everything to see if we missed something else.'

I'm giving updates as I get them in.
    Francisco

• joojajooja Member

@SplitIce said:
    @jooja Between 1 and 4,320 minutes

But seriously, if Voxility (the one at fault) doesn't know how would we know?

Well i don't know i am just asking!

• joojajooja Member
    edited May 2016

@Francisco said:

@jooja said:

Everything has been online, just there's some lag every few minutes. Last thing I heard from them around 20 minutes ago was 'We are re-auditing everything to see if we missed something else.'

I'm giving updates as I get them in.
    Francisco

ok tks! i hope it's all good fast

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FoulFoul Member

Seeing the constant disconnections from ssh :(

Damn you Voxtility! :P

I'm cautiously optimistic in thinking they caught whatever was doing the 3 minute burps. Personally I think it was their system trying to reinject that ACL over and over.

I've been sitting on IRC for ~30 minutes now without anything unusual. Traffic levels look to be back in line as well.

I'll put some thought into anycasting all of the filtering ranges to try to smooth out some quirks like this.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Foul
  • FoulFoul Member

Francisco said: I'll put some thought