Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal? - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal?

Comments

• unusedunused Member
    edited February 2013

@Zeno innodb is not too friendly, but you can make it easier with Galera and Percona tools

• ZenoZeno Member
    edited February 2013

@unused said: Gallera and Percona tools

Thanks, I have never heard of these tools before, They are doing what? I'll going to google it

• Not blaming you Fran, you know that :)

It just annoys me to see my VM that's been stable for almost 3 years end up in this condition =/

Sorry if it annoyed you.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Wintereise said: It just annoys me to see my VM that's been stable for almost 3 years end up in this condition =/

Sorry if it annoyed you.

You're still my favorite wapanese customer, wint <3

I'm not annoyed at anyone but FH over this. We work very hard for the rep we hold and don't appreciate it when something out of our control is kicking us in the crotch.

Lets give Rob credit where credit is due though:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8557885&postcount=4

He manned up and pointed out that the only faults on us are the network ones that we resolved very quickly.

No, we're not shuffling or even have the slight idea to do that. The FH people are a different mentality than any of the DC's we've worked with. They pay everything out of their own pocket, have no investors since they think they're pains in the ass, and work to offer the best product possible.

We feel like they're us if we were running a facility, just, you know, without the hidden bondage room Matt spends his day in.

We have no doubts they'll make good on it and go another very long period of time without another power issue. With that being said, though, we're still going to drop the ATS units in place once we got confirmation A+B is on the menu.

Francisco

• Right, good to hear :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

So I hear BuyVM is bad now. Well, guess its time to jump ship. Make sure you open a ticket and request your vps to all be transferred to Jarland Donnell. I hear that's how you cancel with them.

• @jarland said: Make sure you open a ticket and request your vps to all be transferred to Jarland Donnell. I hear that's how you cancel with them.

You need to offer a discount coupon along with it.

edited February 2013

Oh I don't mean come to Catalyst, I mean give me all your BuyVM vps :D

For refugees, discount code is DIEINAFIRE
    Increases price by 500%.

• A deal for the compulsive couponer

• There's been many comments from Francisco about Versaweb nee VegasNAP nee Fiberhub's spotless record...

They MIGHT have had perfect power uptime, but I vaguely recall some issues they had when load testing their generators in the past - I can't find anything to confirm it, though, so I'll let that go.

They're hardly flawless, though, and doing any sort of power maintenance while A) hot and B) not off-hours is not surprising.

Their web server is run in a Xen instance, and they host a few other sites on it as well. http://100tbcolo.com/, http://www.clarkgop.net being two of them. I know this because I cleaned up a few exploit files sitting in their fully open directory indexes for their Wordpress install for them and sent them an e-mail about it to follow up. The files were at least 2 weeks old, your typical remote shell C99 crap. This was on Feb. 3rd.

Zero fucks were given. I had e-mailed Rob directly, as well as support@, info@ and [email protected]. Sales responded to my security contact 8 hours later, with this:

Thank you for the heads up. Fortunately there is nothing sensitive hosted on that VM - our billing and other systems are hosted in a separate environment.

They've had client payment information, plaintext portal usernames/passwords and more exposed on versaweb.com in the past as well.

The thing that really wound up chapping my ass as a customer wasn't the 33% packetloss I saw pretty regularly in the morning (I gave up on opening tickets for the issue and started planning to move anyway). It wasn't when I had to hound them for a couple weeks to try to get information from Sales, resorting to jabbing a stick in their eye on Twitter to get my first response from them. I should have taken all of that as a sign, but I really wanted to keep my server in Vegas, and they're the only outfit that wasn't hilariously overpriced for single-server level service.

No, it was when my (experimental, hobby-level) box killed itself and I requested KVMoIP use since I was cheap and didn't have IPMI on the server, and THAT'S when I got their rate sheet for remote hands service - not at initial service commencement. They did de-dickify themselves and hook up the KVM for me as a courtesy after they saw the console, for whatever reason, but damn. And I could have gone into the DC to do maintenance, but.. Well.

KVMoIP is (was?) $30 for 6 hours during business hours, $60 for 6 hours during non-business. I was also supposed to be hit with a $30 charge for pulling my server from the rack to swap RAM at one point, but I don't believe they ever actually billed for it. They'd charge $30 to do it for you, too. Pretty much, if you need to do any maintenance on your gear aside from a hot-swap bay, $30 to start with for single-server at least. I have no idea what they'd charge to let you do an OS reload on-site, but screw it, if it's a minimum of $30 no matter how you slice it, I might as well do it from home anyway. Had I known that the rates killed any benefit there was for having the server local to me, I'd have never placed it with them to begin with. As it was, I was so fed up I pulled my server less than a week into the billing cycle and didn't even ask for credit or a refund for the unused service.

Even ignoring my experiences and findings with them, the log of BuyVM's move shows VersaFiberNAPHub isn't exactly on the ball regarding getting things setup for incoming customers. Racks weren't prepped, power wasn't setup, network config was borked.. Oh, there's a power issue there, too -

"Unfortunately, around lunchtime the racks in our cage (as well as two other full rows of racks) all lost power when a faulty 200A fuse shorted, and pretty much melted. As this fuse was between the generator and racks, there wasn't any backup power to draw from - hence the downtime."

The answer was to entirely bypass the fuse. A curious choice, I don't like the idea of bypassing safety measures, but not my gear, and I don't know what other precautions are there. They seem to have a lot of problems with fuses, though.

Rob's a nice guy and everything, and I'm sure he's good at what he does, but my overall impression of him and his business was that he was always in a rush, way too busy for his own good or the safety of his business, and it suffers dearly for it.

I was disappointed when I got the first Las Vegas move e-mail from BuyVM, and e-mailed Francisco with some of my above concerns, but I'm sure that by the time they were in a position to announce the move, it was a done deal anyway, but so far their experience has been very close to what I had feared it would be, and the BuyVM yearlys I have have shifted from daily use boxes for different tasks to backup targets as a result.

• @Rendus said: There's been many comments from Francisco about Versaweb nee VegasNAP nee Fiberhub's spotless record...

Yeah, unfortunately it's bullshit... FH is known as a budget facility that has had problems for years - from infrastructure (power, network, etc) to business dealings. It's there if you dig enough.

Not that they aren't trying or aren't good guys or anything.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Rendus said: No, it was when my (experimental, hobby-level) box killed itself and I requested KVMoIP use since I was cheap and didn't have IPMI on the server, and THAT'S when I got their rate sheet for remote hands service - not at initial service commencement.

We've mooched 3 - 4 KVM's off them so far without a single billing for it.

It's been an annoying month and it'll take time for us to rebuild trust. We know that and Rob knows that too.

We've had 0 network issues due to anything they've done. The only network issues we've had have been caused by yours truly or unbeknownst buffer limits.

I'm hoping they're sticking to their word that they're going to be changing protocols on how their electricians work.

The answer was to entirely bypass the fuse. A curious choice, I don't like the idea of bypassing safety measures, but not my gear, and I don't know what other precautions are there. They seem to have a lot of problems with fuses, though.

It wasn't a safety thing, it was more there for their own ease of use thing. Most of their panels don't even have the 200A cut off as it was seen as a dumb idea at a later stage in their deployments (as far as I could tell).

It's been rough, simple as that. Some people are upset because they never suffered the speed issues most of our users did in SJ so they feel it's a real degrade in service. As stated though, we're working through the few things that are outstanding and have closed sales in LAS for the rest of the month while we plan out some changes we'll slowly work into the system.

Francisco

• I can completely understand - My experience doesn't reflect anybody else's. The KVM thing, I'm willing to bet that they only actually drag that out to deter people requesting it without actual need, and bigger customers probably get more leeway on it than a single-server user like I was. What really ground it in for me was that there was absolutely no disclosure of their fees until they wanted me to suck one down. It wasn't a matter of price so much as the approach at the time.

I'm not jumping ship on BuyVM, although I plan on dropping one of my yearlys in Vegas for service in New York when renewal time comes for geo. separation (I don't expect migrations to be an option, given the disparity in size between the two markets, and it isn't that big of a deal to me - I have a colocated box with Joe's, and two other VMs to use as needed anyway). I'm one of the few people that likely saw a clear loss in performance with the move to Vegas, since my route to Fiberhub goes to California and back into Vegas anyway - go figure.

I would, in the end, encourage anyone currently with BuyVM to stick with them through this. In the time it took for me to write this post and the one before it, my hourly income would have paid for at least another yearly VM, so I'm not going to get pissy about extreme budget services having the occasional extreme budget issue. If I'm upset about anything, it's seeing happening to good people offering an extremely good service, and just getting ear-drilled by Murphy's Law.

I'm not a fan of Fiberhub, but given what I know of the owner of Fiberhub, and how much Francisco (and others of course) care about BuyVM, I'm sure enough asskicking can happen to fix the issues before long (the power changes are no joke), and once the lights are reliably on and the bits continue to flow, things will be fine.

• I will always be a buyvm addict no matter what

• @jcaleb said: I will always be a buyvm addict no matter what

Your not addicted, just a loyal customer @jcaleb :)

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Your not addicted, just a loyal customer @jcaleb :)

But I have 3 vps idling. just want to reserve just in case i need them =)

• Okay. You're an addict. ;)

@jcaleb You only have 3 idling? ;)

• @jarland said: @jcaleb You only have 3 idling? ;)

Yes because I cancelled some =) I am also afraid to try catalyst, might be more addict =)

• So what's the deal with airplane food, eh?

• @ztec said: So what's the deal with airplane food, eh?

Nothing. I love airplane food on coach.

• Btw, let us not forget some of the reason why buyvm is a loved brand. Well break-in/tested hardware, constant monitoring, not overloaded server, etc. something not many providers can boast of =)

edited February 2013

@jcaleb said: I am also afraid to try catalyst, might be more addict =)

I consider my marketing to be perfect only with @jcaleb signs up. Notice me continually offering less for less per year? You can't hold out forever.

Let's just say I've got 8 in my buyvm panel and I wouldn't even notice if all of them went down for 2 hours. Nor would I cancel a single one of them. I'm well on my way to my own node. Probably feel like half the addict compared to @jack ;)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2013

Love is in the air...

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2013

Haha! :-) That love is hardcore! ;-) Mine was pure & innocent!

• @jarland said: Let's just say I've got 8 in my buyvm panel and I wouldn't even notice if all of them went down for 2 hours. Nor would I cancel a single one of them.

i switched my websites to hostigation and urpad during fh move. i expect there will be problems for few days/weeks no matter how great the people on both sides are, just because its a big move. just waiting to stabilize and will move back =)

still happy with buyvm. i decide my trust based on who the people behind a company are. mistakes or murphy may happen anytime, but its how the provider deal with it that is important.

@jcaleb said: i decide my trust based on who the people behind a company are

Amen to that. Francisco and the team work hard. As for @miTgiB, I think he's been paying off Murphy behind closed doors, and recently tried to renegotiate the terms.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jcaleb said: i switched my websites to hostigation

Same - waited several days to move it back just in case. The LV problems haven't affected me much, but it's good to know immediate action is being taken.

• @jarland said: Yes, yes it is..

That's the first time I have acually missed the thanks button.